August 28, 2014 | 1519 users online

Skincare - Face - Dickinson's Witch Hazel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2006 1:38:00 PM More reviews by lulu2u2

I haven't found the stuff for your face yet, so I have been using the stuff that you are supposed to use on your body (it's in more of a blue container) and let me tell you, I love it! The smell is basically the worst smell I have ever smelled, but the effects of it are so good. I have pretty dry skin on my cheeks and a sun burn, but I have noticed no eccesive drying. Acutally, it helped my sun burn! It also helped clear my cystic acne which I didn't know could happen. I looked on their website about the alcohol content and this is what I found:
"Unlike other astringent products that contain high levels of either synthetic alcohol or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), our products contain only natural alcohol derived from a botanical source. This ingredient is used in limited quantities as a natural preservative."
People who are worrying about the alcohol shouldn't worry. It doesn't hurt or dry out your skin at all. Actually, it kind of makes it feel more moisturised. And plus, for the price tag, why not try it? I am definately a customer for life!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2006 10:49:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got mine free; a small travel size bottle came with my package of cotton balls. I had seen this before, but never considered it because I thought the alcohol would dry my skin (14%). But, today I was going out and didn't want to wash my face all over again, so I just applied a bit of this toner on my cheeks, forehead, nose and upper lip; and 5 hours later, I'm still shine free! I never experienced any drying effects or harsh reaction.

I have combo/oily skin, acne-prone/sensitive. I probably wouldn't use this everyday (it may become drying after consistent use) but I would definitely keep it around to use it every once in a while. I'm currently using Garnier Fresh invigorating toner (alcohol free) and I like it, but I am really liking Dickinson's 100% natural witch hazel toner too! :)

So if you want to keep shine to a minimum and have soft skin, give this a try! It's super cheap at any drugstore, so you have nothing to lose.

EDIT: I don't like this anymore... it made moisturizers harder to absorb into my skin, and gave me a few zits, surprisingly. :(

EDIT Aug 10, 2013:
I am bumping this up to 5 lippies. It works for my skin now, must've been something else I was using previously that made me breakout before. I use it either with a cotton pad, or I have some in a spray bottle that I spritz my face with prior to using my LUSH moisturizer to help it emulsify and thin out. It doesn't dry my skin, and I feel like it helps to make my face less oily. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2006 2:30:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this toner more as a body spray in the summer, and for a refreshing face spritz throughout the day. It is so cooling and refreshing. I don't use toners normally, but this is really gentle and soothing. The price is great too.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2006 3:17:00 PM More reviews by JELo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. Yes, it doesn not smell pretty but for a dirt cheap price and great results, who cares! I've had terrible, horrible skin since puberty (and I'm now in my 30s). I've tried every thing out there including ProActive and Accutane and nothing consistently worked. After stumbling onto the Aspirin Mask/Scrub on MUA and Witch Hazel, I FINALLY have nice skin.

My regime:
1. Wash and rinse face with Dove soap to take off makeup
2. Lather up Dove soap again and add precrushed aspirin (check on Aspirin Mask for tips) and scrub face
3. Dry and follow wtih Witch Hazel as toner
4. Follow with Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion

I do this every morning and every night (sans scrub).

It is working great! I hope this helps others that are fighting a seemingly, losing battle with their skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2006 2:51:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is HG. Removes all dirt, oil, and makeup w/out drying out my skin. I'm super oily and this is a perfect balance for my skin. I use it twice daily and will continue to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2006 12:09:00 AM More reviews by shastax

There is absolutely no doubt that Dickinson's Cleansing Astringent, Witch Hazel Formulation is the most horrible-smelling product you can put on your face. It smells of varnish, or wet wood, or even things best not said here. However, you do indeed get used to the smell, and this product is *so* good, you'll want to push through the pain. It is incredibly difficult to find a fragrance-free, dye-free toner/astringent, but if your concern is finding such a product, this is one of the few and the best choice (yes, there is a smell, but it's not *added* fragrance, just the natural smells of the witch hazel and alcohol). Some have said Witch Hazel is bad for the facial skin, but they're absolutely wrong--no other toner has worked so effectively, dried me out so little, and left me with such a consistent, healthy glow. The amount of alcohol added is minimal and not irritating in the slightest. There's an added bonus to this witch hazel formulation--it soothes any kind of itching and redness you may have from the use of benzoyl peroxide or prescription acne medications. Ever woken up from your nighttime application of benzoyl peroxide and had redness and itching? Never fear, swab a generous amount of this on, and you'll feel and look so much better. The product is so cheap, and you're given such a generous amount, that there's no reason not to give this a try.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2006 1:47:00 AM More reviews by sillysassy

The smell was pretty bad, but I got past that. I found that it dried out my skin rediculously quickly and turned fairly good skin into a dry flaking mess. Not my idea of what a toner should do.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2006 3:50:00 PM More reviews by feri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I tried to use this, but I just could NOT get past the hospitals/bandaids/rubbery smell. Something about it instantly turns my stomach (and I'm a diehard user of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar depite the fact that it smells like stinky feet!). The product itself is very thin, like water. Comes in a gigantic bottle for $5, it'll last you ages. That is, if you can actually bring yourself to use it on your face--the smell shoots right up your nose. It's gentler than Apple Cider Vinegar, but since my skin is super oily and fairly tough, I think I'll use the Apple Cider Vinegar instead. Witch hazel just stinks too much, and I need a slightly stronger toner to clarify my skin. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2006 12:42:00 PM More reviews by vietbeb

This stuff is awesome. And CHEAP! Removes every last trace of make-up and leaves my skin feeling clean and doesn't dry it out! This is my HG!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2006 3:06:00 AM More reviews by korina981

This stuff is awesome. i mean it's not some miracle product but it's just an effective toner that makes your skin feel very clean. it's also so cheap that it's worth to just have it it around for things like cuts and burns and shaving ouchies. Even if you wanna use another toner just keep it around. It is a toner that is really more than a toner. I used it to clean up a nasty cut I got I got once. The smell is AWFUL but I've gotten so used to it i don;t even notice it anymore