August 22, 2014 | 1722 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 9:24:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

Add me to the list of fans for Maybellineís Falsies mascara. My favourite part is the brush. Itís curved like a spoon and the inside part of the brush has tiny bristles that seem to grab your lashes and sort of hug them on the way up. My lashes look lifted and long. When I first saw the brush and the flexible handle I thought oh no! learning curve here, but there hasnít been one at all. The mascara went on easy and the brush was simple to use. Iím a fan of Maybelline mascaras in general and have always used them and do like the Volum Express franchise, but not all have worked for me. Falsies Waterproof holds a curl (very important to me), is easy to apply and truly is waterproof (no runs after spending an afternoon in the pool) and removes easily with eye makeup remover. I bought it in Blackest Black and it really is black.

Iím afraid to move it to HG status as most Maybelline mascaras I label HG get discontinued. Having said that, I think I have found my perfect mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2010 9:53:00 AM More reviews by misschloe97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is OK, it wouldn't be the best.
I put it on it on in the morning then about 1 o'clock it's off!
It is quite flakey but not too bad.
I think i was generous by giving it a 3.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2010 9:32:00 AM More reviews by breezyboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love this mascara. It's really nice, and it's probably gonna end up being an HG for me unless I find a true budgeproof falsies-in-a-bottle mascara. It volumizes, lengthens, and holds curl pretty well, and it's unbelievable if you put a mascara base underneath it. Hell, it looked BETTER than false lashes when I curled -> Kanebo Mascara Base -> Falsies. It's not too hard to get off if you have a proper waterproof makeup remover, about the same difficulty as Maybelline's other waterproof mascaras.

But what really impresses me is that this the first waterproof mascara that does NOT smudge or flake on me. I fell asleep in the hot summer sun with this mascara (without a primer) and woke up with the same lashes and no smudged undereyes or black flakes. This product is freaking genius! Bravo, Maybelline. :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by denisha2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this mascara didnt do nothing for my lashes at all so its a loser in my nook happy for the folks that love it im just one of those people who it didnt work for.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Still a good mascara for drama...but as much as I am not a waterproof mascara fan, I would suggest using the waterproof version of this over the regular. The regular is very messy and wet. ORIGINAL POST: I am not usually a Maybelline fan, but this is a pretty nice mascara. I love dark and dramatic when it comes to lashes and this does a good job of delivering. I am using the wp version now with summer, I have not tried the regular version yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Chinesepicklegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara because it was on sale at Ulta, and i wanted that false lash effect. While i didn't get the false lash effect that it promised, i did enjoy this mascara and it gave me plenty of volume and length. you will need to get out an eyelash comb to get rid of clumps, and the brush takes some getting used to, but overall, this is a nice mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Keeshond

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This works beautifully on my thin (but long) BLONDE eyelashes! This barely clumps, and a metal eyelash comb fixes the clumps. I always use waterproof mascara because I hate flakes, and I wear contacts/my eyes water frequently. This mascara stays put all day. I love the colors of the packaging, but the blue writing scrapes off after ~2 weeks. I have no reason to try another mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 9:48:00 AM More reviews by Demetria

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Usually, I wouldn't review a mascara after the first time using it because it generally takes a week for the formula to dry a little to the point where its working how I like. Also, I only use waterproof, because regular formulas seem to take the curl right outta my lashes.
Ok, so I love this. It worked great for me on the first try. It thickens and lengthens and is probably the closest thing to a regular mascara looking like falsies that I've used. Blows Diorshow outta the water. I also like it better than Voluminous, which was my HG for years, until I discovered the great Maybelline Mascaras- all waterproof (Full &Soft, Volume Express, Collossal, and now this). These are all kinda similar and all work great on me. Back to the Falsies. I happen to love the purple packaging and I did use the "spoon" side as the directions suggest. I can't speak to smudging yet, because I've only had it on a couple of hours, but I'm really not expecting a problem with smudging, since I don't have a problem with the other Maybelline mascaras that I mentioned. Definitely worth a try if your curious. I will definitely be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2010 1:32:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I saw an ad for this mascara and went to buy it the next day. I'm a big fan of Maybelline mascaras as far as drugstore brands go (Great Lash, Full and Soft and Volum' Express are some of my must-haves).

I made the mistake of buying the waterproof without realizing it, which probably biases my review. I usually avoid waterproof formulas like the plague, to use a hackneyed expression.

Since I already opened it and couldn't return it, I figured I would give it a shot. I don't know if the experience for the non-waterproof formula would be different/better.

This mascara is clumpy and makes little mascara crumbs after one or two swipes. It makes the lashes stick together in unnatural looking clumps. It does not make the lashes longer - mine actually looked kind of stubby and I have naturally long lashes. All day long my eyelashes (top and bottom, and I didn't apply any to the bottom) kept getting stuck together.

When I went to take it off, it was an ordeal. I ended up having to scrub my eyelids with shampoo to get it all off. So, as far as being a waterproof formula, it's definitely good in that respect! I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and water and it didn't budge. The only other "pro" was that it does go on very dark.

I would skip this mascara and just stick to the original volum' express formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by flauntit

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara has possibly reached HG status for me. This blows many of my other mascara favorites out of the water, I'm not even kidding!

Volume:
The name of this mascara is quite fitting, because I feel like I'm wearing fake lashes when I wear this. The volume I get isn't like the super dramatic fake lashes (it's not THAT amazing lol, fake lashes still outdo most mascaras), but the volume I get from this mascara is more similar to a 'natural' set of fake eyelashes. You still get plenty of volume, my lashes looked much more plump than I ever achieved from using Rimmel, Max Factor, and L'oreal mascaras. I think how the brush curves play a big part in the volume and length.
Also I don't notice that much clump when I use this. If I do get a clumpy lash, brush through it a couple of time and it's no longer a problem. If you like layering mascaras like I do (since I have thin, very light brown lashes), I wouldn't recommend this since this is a thick mascara and when combined with another one, I do notice more clumping that is difficult to brush out. This works great on it's own, but I did notice some problems when I tried layering. Most people I assume don't layer regularly like I do anyway, so this won't be a big deal for plenty of buyers lol.

Length:
I bought this mascara for volume, but I did notice quite a bit of lengthening too.When paired with Clinique's mascara base, I got amazing length. Love it!

Curl:
I still use eyelash curler prior to using mascara, so I'm not sure about how much it curls on its own. But I do notice some really nice lift as the curved brush goes through my lashes, so I assume it's doing a good job at curling. The waterproof formula will keep that curl for a long time.

Color:
I got the darkest shade of black, and it's as black as night. If you want incredibly dark lashes, this mascara has a shade that can provide you that result!

Texture/Formula:
I've used this for a week now and the formula is quite wet right now, I'll let you know if it is still like this after a couple of weeks. My lashes don't feel crunchy or hard, but they don't feel incredibly soft either. The texture doesn't bother me, so it's not an issue.
Because it is waterproof, it's incredibly hard to remove the mascara. Luckily I don't notice too many lashes lost when I remove it, but if you're careless when removing makeup, that mascara might be stuck on your lashes for a long time.
Also I notice very little smudging.. It only smudged on days where it was super hot and humid out.

Packaging/Price: I love the packaging, although it is a bit tacky lol. I don't know if I like the color combo, but I'll take it over the boring black or gray packaging I see over and over again. I got this for $6 at Target on sale, I generally see this mascara between 6 to 8 dollars so it's nice and cheap! I would include how much product you get in the tube, but I never use up an entire tube as I throw out mascara after a couple of months, for sanitary reasons.

Overall:
+ Great volume!
+ Cheap!
+ Lengthens and curls quite well
+ Packaging is interesting enough
- Can be difficult to remove, make sure to use a good makeup remover continued >>

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No