December 21, 2014 | 898 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 4:55:00 PM More reviews by NioneEurantale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I waited a bit to review this product because I couldn't figure out how to apply this mascara for the life of me, but I was seeing so many positive reviews that I decided to keep trying till I got it right. It was completely worth the patience. Now that I have figured out how to use the brush properly with my eye shape it is awesome. My lashes don't look like falsies, but the length is incredible. This mascara works much better then many high end mascaras I've used and has a lot of lasting power. It stays in place until I remove it with make up remover. No smudges, no flakes, great dark black color. However, this adds no volume, just length. I would love to see a version of this formula that adds both volume and length. Until then this will be my go to mascara.

Edit 12/12/10 / So I took a break to try a lash growing mascara (which surprisingly worked), but came back to this to get a more dramatic effect. I couldn't get intense black, but found black drama. Figuring they just changed the name I picked it up. What on earth happened to this mascara? I went from loving it to absolutely hating it. I'm getting no length at all, kinda get some volume, but it's a big clumpy mess. They due look false, but because the look plastic. Did the change the formula?

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2010 1:15:00 PM More reviews by bstorm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was so disappointed in the product. It had great reviews, so I ran out to Ulta to purchase. The brush looks lush and it doesn't have the usual Maybelline smell (which I hate!), so I was initially impressed. However, this makes me lashes SO clumpy with and adds absolutely no length. I curl my lashes with the Shu Uemura curler, but this undid the curl. I used the brush "spoon side up" like the instructions recommended, but had horrible results. I've tried rotating the brush, but no luck there either. For the absolute best drugstore mascara, I've got to stick with L'Oreal. Other brands always disappoint.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by marie28

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall, this is a good mascara. It gives me great length, holds a curl and did not smudge all day. It is "wetter" than most other formulas I'm used to. The wand is also shorter than most of the other brands I've used, including the other Maybelline mascaras. This is a good mascara, but there are better.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2010 9:56:00 AM More reviews by Gardenginger

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hated the brush - curved and very small. The product is ok, but yes, it has a distinct smell to it. I ended up exchanging the brush from my other mascara to use it up. I would not buy it again. I like a big brush as I can always tip out the sides with the end of it. Big brushes offer more coverage fast. I do not like that this mascara advertises it gives false eyelash appearance - it doesn't do anymore than any other mascara. Still the very best in my opinion is Estee Lauder Mascara - doesn't smear, removes easy with soap and water, goes on black, doesn't clump, no smell, gentle to my eyes and the brush is a nice plain ol medium size brush no frills. Falsies is not the worst I've ever tried, but I'm not raving about it either.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by noelie68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was so excited to finally get to try this mascara, since I'm still on the quest for my elusive HG. After a week of use, I'm just not impressed. It gave me neither dramatic length nor volume (I wasn't expecting volume, really), and it didn't hold a curl for me at all. It was a bit smudgy at the end of the day, which I could have lived with if it had done anything impressive for my lashes at all. I wish I'd been one of the people this worked well for, but on me... completely unremarkable.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by diamondustt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Now to be completly fair, I am not well versed in drug store mascaras. But I am with higher end. This one has volumized better then eyeko, lancome defincils, and imju fiberwig and blink but then again those were all lenthening ones but they honestly did make that much of a difference. Well the imju and blink did but the rest really didn't. I also always use lancomes xl booster mascara base with every mascara I try just so you kno..but this mascara works pretty darn well, not as good as ysl faux cils (damn u, why did they discontinue?!) But it was much more then I expected. For the price and look its a steal really. Doesn't flake, doesn't smudge, stays put, lashed look nice and defined, long very black and thick. It does what it says. I deffinitly say its a drug store toned down version of ysl faux cils. It makes my thin wispy lashes nice and pretty pretty pretty!! I highly suggest you give it a shot if your like me and used to shelling out 30+ for your mascara...you will be pleasently surprised.

P.s....the packaging is the cheapest thing in the world, but it does its job so give the ugly little tube a chance :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Loving this! I usually use L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes, but was looking for something I could wear to the pool on vacation (the L'Oreal stands up well to light moisture, but not total immersion.) I picked up the Falsies when I saw it at Target, and am very pleased - the formula holds a curl, doesn't clump or flake easily, and is waterproof. It adds a little volume, but definitely lengthens. I have to keep my eyes half-closed when applying or I end up with mascara dots where my lashes hit my browbone!

The brush is very easy to get the hang of, I use the inner side to apply a nice thick coat and then the outer bristles to separate and comb out any large globs.

The downsides: It does smudge eventually but it's very minimal (even on me, and most mascaras give me raccoon eyes). The smudging becomes a problem because it's also fairly difficult to remove completely, so even after washing off my makeup at night I will wake up with little black smudges under my eyes. The formula also stays somewhat sticky after drying, so touching my eyes can cause my eyelashes to stick together, and I'll have to comb them out again.

Still, the benefits and the price (cheaper than the L'Oreal!) outweigh the flaws, so I will be buying this again! And if you didn't like the non-waterproof formula, give this one a shot - I haven't tried the regular, but I've noticed that the reviews for the waterproof are significantly higher, which makes me think they're very different.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2010 12:23:00 PM More reviews by ankhgrl49

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really good, solid mascara. For me it lengthens and darkens nicely (a nice rich, deep black) but doesn't thicken. I don't mind that it doesn't thicken as my lashes aren't that thin to begin with, but for others this might be an issue. The brush was interesting and different (as I said to my bf "Wow, look, it's jointed!") but still easy to work with. I only used one coat, but I don't think it would be too hard to give it a moment to dry so you can apply a second, other words, I didn't find this very clumpy at all. I just applied one coat, seperated with a comb (as I do with any mascara) and boom, nice, long, inky black and fluttery lashes. Also importantly for me it doesn't smudge, which is my biggest annoyance and test with any mascara. Good price, good product, I hope this sticks around as I will happily repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2010 4:14:00 PM More reviews by JenSul27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a mascara junky, love trying out every new one I can get my hands on. My initial reaction to this mascara was that I hated it. The brush was wierd, the formulation had that distinct maybelline smell, and my eyelashes clumped from too much product. This does make my eyelashes look fake, very long and curled which I love...but it also rubs off so that my entire brow bone has black smudges after a couple hours...and since it's waterproof, those smudges are hard to get off! Although this mascara has some potential, due to the smudging I would definitely not recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by renaissancegirl

I picked this up for $6 and some change which I think is a decent price. The product itself is quite good. Holds a curl, separates and lengthens beautifully (I can feel the tips of my lashes brushing against my brow bone when I look up) although not exactly like false eyelashes. It stays in place throughout the day and I really love the applicator. The only thing is that it's lacking in building volume so if you have sparse lashes, I say skip this.
UPDATE: After using this mascara for another week and figuring out how to get the best out of the unique brush, I am changing my rating to 5 lippies. This mascara is amazing (and I have experienced a wide range of high and low end mascaras)! They better not discontinue it now that I've said that!