July 31, 2014 | 1724 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by denisha2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this mascara didnt do nothing for my lashes at all so its a loser in my nook happy for the folks that love it im just one of those people who it didnt work for.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Still a good mascara for drama...but as much as I am not a waterproof mascara fan, I would suggest using the waterproof version of this over the regular. The regular is very messy and wet. ORIGINAL POST: I am not usually a Maybelline fan, but this is a pretty nice mascara. I love dark and dramatic when it comes to lashes and this does a good job of delivering. I am using the wp version now with summer, I have not tried the regular version yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Chinesepicklegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara because it was on sale at Ulta, and i wanted that false lash effect. While i didn't get the false lash effect that it promised, i did enjoy this mascara and it gave me plenty of volume and length. you will need to get out an eyelash comb to get rid of clumps, and the brush takes some getting used to, but overall, this is a nice mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Keeshond

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This works beautifully on my thin (but long) BLONDE eyelashes! This barely clumps, and a metal eyelash comb fixes the clumps. I always use waterproof mascara because I hate flakes, and I wear contacts/my eyes water frequently. This mascara stays put all day. I love the colors of the packaging, but the blue writing scrapes off after ~2 weeks. I have no reason to try another mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 9:48:00 AM More reviews by Demetria

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Usually, I wouldn't review a mascara after the first time using it because it generally takes a week for the formula to dry a little to the point where its working how I like. Also, I only use waterproof, because regular formulas seem to take the curl right outta my lashes.
Ok, so I love this. It worked great for me on the first try. It thickens and lengthens and is probably the closest thing to a regular mascara looking like falsies that I've used. Blows Diorshow outta the water. I also like it better than Voluminous, which was my HG for years, until I discovered the great Maybelline Mascaras- all waterproof (Full &Soft, Volume Express, Collossal, and now this). These are all kinda similar and all work great on me. Back to the Falsies. I happen to love the purple packaging and I did use the "spoon" side as the directions suggest. I can't speak to smudging yet, because I've only had it on a couple of hours, but I'm really not expecting a problem with smudging, since I don't have a problem with the other Maybelline mascaras that I mentioned. Definitely worth a try if your curious. I will definitely be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2010 1:32:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I saw an ad for this mascara and went to buy it the next day. I'm a big fan of Maybelline mascaras as far as drugstore brands go (Great Lash, Full and Soft and Volum' Express are some of my must-haves).

I made the mistake of buying the waterproof without realizing it, which probably biases my review. I usually avoid waterproof formulas like the plague, to use a hackneyed expression.

Since I already opened it and couldn't return it, I figured I would give it a shot. I don't know if the experience for the non-waterproof formula would be different/better.

This mascara is clumpy and makes little mascara crumbs after one or two swipes. It makes the lashes stick together in unnatural looking clumps. It does not make the lashes longer - mine actually looked kind of stubby and I have naturally long lashes. All day long my eyelashes (top and bottom, and I didn't apply any to the bottom) kept getting stuck together.

When I went to take it off, it was an ordeal. I ended up having to scrub my eyelids with shampoo to get it all off. So, as far as being a waterproof formula, it's definitely good in that respect! I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and water and it didn't budge. The only other "pro" was that it does go on very dark.

I would skip this mascara and just stick to the original volum' express formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by flauntit

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara has possibly reached HG status for me. This blows many of my other mascara favorites out of the water, I'm not even kidding!

Volume:
The name of this mascara is quite fitting, because I feel like I'm wearing fake lashes when I wear this. The volume I get isn't like the super dramatic fake lashes (it's not THAT amazing lol, fake lashes still outdo most mascaras), but the volume I get from this mascara is more similar to a 'natural' set of fake eyelashes. You still get plenty of volume, my lashes looked much more plump than I ever achieved from using Rimmel, Max Factor, and L'oreal mascaras. I think how the brush curves play a big part in the volume and length.
Also I don't notice that much clump when I use this. If I do get a clumpy lash, brush through it a couple of time and it's no longer a problem. If you like layering mascaras like I do (since I have thin, very light brown lashes), I wouldn't recommend this since this is a thick mascara and when combined with another one, I do notice more clumping that is difficult to brush out. This works great on it's own, but I did notice some problems when I tried layering. Most people I assume don't layer regularly like I do anyway, so this won't be a big deal for plenty of buyers lol.

Length:
I bought this mascara for volume, but I did notice quite a bit of lengthening too.When paired with Clinique's mascara base, I got amazing length. Love it!

Curl:
I still use eyelash curler prior to using mascara, so I'm not sure about how much it curls on its own. But I do notice some really nice lift as the curved brush goes through my lashes, so I assume it's doing a good job at curling. The waterproof formula will keep that curl for a long time.

Color:
I got the darkest shade of black, and it's as black as night. If you want incredibly dark lashes, this mascara has a shade that can provide you that result!

Texture/Formula:
I've used this for a week now and the formula is quite wet right now, I'll let you know if it is still like this after a couple of weeks. My lashes don't feel crunchy or hard, but they don't feel incredibly soft either. The texture doesn't bother me, so it's not an issue.
Because it is waterproof, it's incredibly hard to remove the mascara. Luckily I don't notice too many lashes lost when I remove it, but if you're careless when removing makeup, that mascara might be stuck on your lashes for a long time.
Also I notice very little smudging.. It only smudged on days where it was super hot and humid out.

Packaging/Price: I love the packaging, although it is a bit tacky lol. I don't know if I like the color combo, but I'll take it over the boring black or gray packaging I see over and over again. I got this for $6 at Target on sale, I generally see this mascara between 6 to 8 dollars so it's nice and cheap! I would include how much product you get in the tube, but I never use up an entire tube as I throw out mascara after a couple of months, for sanitary reasons.

Overall:
+ Great volume!
+ Cheap!
+ Lengthens and curls quite well
+ Packaging is interesting enough
- Can be difficult to remove, make sure to use a good makeup remover continued >>

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2010 2:40:00 PM More reviews by RedJeanie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Update: I've used this for a few weeks now. It flakes on me after a couple hours. Not a deal breaker, its still pretty good. Just not as good as my unavailable fave by Max Factor.

I think I may have found a replacement for my favorite mascara by Max Factor (Lash Perfection). They no longer sell it in the US so I've been buying it off EBAY. It gives me almost the exact same results! I used Black Brown in the MF and the Maybelline is darker. I'm not crazy about the flat part of the brush. I wish the whole brush had bristles as I only use that side. I'm thinking with practice I will figure out the best way to apply it. So far I'm only using the bristles and getting amazing results with just that method. Of course I curl my lashes first, concentrating on the lash line, then start on the outer corners and work my way to the other side. I use the wiggle wand/combing method when applying. It drys in an average amount of time so I have time to go back and apply more if needed. The waterproof version holds my curl and lasts all day on me. It gives me crazy length (although I have crazy long eyelashes to begin with) and does make it look like I'm wearing falsies. Thick, long, dramatic and defined. Easier to remove than the MF but that's not a big deal to me. I still want my MF mascara back! :-) Possible HG here.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2010 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been hearing about this mascara for a while on YouTube and makeup forums so my curiosity has been increasing the more and more I hear about it. Problem was I could never find it in stores. Most stores still don't carry it but I happened to see it yesterday at Walgreens for $7.50 so I had to pick one up to see what it was about. I love the way Maybelline mascaras make my lashes look (Full n Soft, Colossal), they easily beat out the top name brands, but the only problem I've had is all of them, including waterproof smudges on me. I don't see the point of having gorgeous lashes if it leaves unattractive smudges under your eye. I am oily but come on, I've managed to find mascaras that don't smudge. Anyways, I am happy to say I've had this on all day and no smudges at all! I tested some on my hand too and it looks like it's very waterproof. I bought this in very black and I love this! One coat and I am good to go for a day look. It separates easily once I brush out with a lash brush, lashes stay soft and feathery, which is the look I love! For volumizing this is okay but lengthening this mascara is amazing! Once you curl your lashes and apply this, it makes the lashes look sooo long! It also holds a curl very well which isn't always the case with some of Maybelline mascaras.
It basically has all the qualities I have been searching for in a mascara for years, it's the perfect mascara! I can't believe I'm actually saying that about a mascara. Too bad they didn't come out with this years ago, it would've saved me a lot of money trying to search for a good mascara.
Note: I've only used the brush part of the wand. I'm not into the bristle-less/small bristle wands, they've only made my lashes stick together in the past. I might try it out one of these days.
Update: It does smudge a tiny bit if I had it on since morning and I wear it until 9 or 10pm but not bad. Still beats a lot of others.
Update: I tried something else recently and I will never try anything else again! I almost forgot how short and pathetic my lashes really are without this mascara. I tried another brand and it barely made a difference, I looked like I wasn't wearing any mascara. This definitely is the best with lengthening.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2010 1:43:00 PM More reviews by darkopacity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Out of all the new line of waterproof mascaras that Maybelline sells, I feel like I get the best results from The Falsies. I found this waterproof formula at a local Jewels supermarket. I have it in Very Black and it is....very black haha. The Falsies does everything The Colossal waterproof did for me but without the negative things that I experienced with The Colossal. This doesn't have weird globs of product that end up on my lashes like The Colossal did. It also holds my curl much better. I get nice black, thickened, and defined lashes in just 2 coats. Although they're not really 'falsie' looking, it does give me quick drama to my thin lashes.

The directions say to apply it from the 'spoon' side, but the brush doesn't have any bristles on that side and I just end up with a clumpy mess of product on my lashes. I just use all ends of the brush that has bristles on it and I don't get any clumps. This is wet mascara but it does dry fast so it's good not to let any coat dry before adding another. I haven't tested it's waterproof claims but I'll come back and let you know how that works out ;-).

EDIT: Ok I've had this for about a month now and it's getting pretty darn clumpy. The bad thing is that it started clumping a few weeks after I started using it. It's sad because it started out so well :-(. I smudges when I'm in hot weather too! I'm still on the hunt for a good waterproof mascara but my staple still stands as Apple Super Lash Mascara.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No