April 18, 2014 | 933 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2008 10:41:00 AM More reviews by lilpritch04

I bought this cleanser because my skin care routine suddenly stopped working (although it wasn't working that well to begin with): my skin turned red and my cheeks dried out in the middle of a Minnesota January. I've had my bottle of Cetaphil lotion to use in previous Januarys, but I decided that I would buy the cleanser as well.

I have been using this cleanser (with my usual moisturizers for am/pm and Cetaphil on cheeks) for 10 days now and I will say that my skin has calmed down dramatically and and the redness and flakes have disappeared.

The packaging is fine--one pump covers my face, neck and decolletage in the shower. Because it is a pump, however, it is not ideal for travel and I have decanted into a travel tube for the gym.

My face feels clean after using this gel and it removes makeup OK--if I'm wearing a lot of eye makeup I use a bit extra. I DO NOT wear waterproof makeup, so I cannot speak for how it would do on that. The only thing I've noticed is that my skin needs a bit of exfoliation now beyond my Aveda Exfoliating Toner, which had previously worked with my old skin care routine. Also, I think this product is similar to Dermalogica's Special Cleansing Gel (which I love!) but definitely has a smaller price point. Dermalogica suds up a bit better, but my skin feels the same after using it.

I'm not sure that I will continue with this cleanser once the weather is above freezing again as my T-zone is still a bit oily and the need for an extra exfoliater, but I would repurchase for winter weather again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 5:31:00 PM More reviews by squiggles37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this cleanser in the morning when I wake up with a greasy puffy face (sexy, I know). It does a great job of removing the excess oil without drying out my skin. The cleanser comes in an opaque bottle with a pump so the product doesn't oxidize and it stays sanitary.

Despite having caster oil in it, it's not strong enough to remove SPF or makeup (not unless you wash twice or more times, but who has time for that?). I also find the scent to be a little odd, I'm not sure how to describe it, it just smells a little weird. It's not meant to be perfumey, but there is definitely a noticeable scent. But for what it does and the price you pay, the scent can be overlooked.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2008 7:28:00 PM More reviews by lovelysturgeon

I used up about half of a bottle of this cleanser before I was certain that it just wasn't for me. I used it as a morning cleanser because it was not strong enough to remove my Revlon Colorstay foundation at night. (For that I use Pond's Cold Cream-HG!) However, this cleanser caused my skin to burn slightly. I use a Px retinol at night, so I think that might have something to do with the stinging. I just thought that Cetaphil would be gentle enough on my face, but it wasn't. I currently use Aveeno Calming Foaming face wash and I like it much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by ameyls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this cleanser for about a week, and it's working out pretty good. My skin is oily and acne prone, and it usually breaks out like nobody's businss when I change anything in my routine. So far, I haven't had any major breakouts, though I have noticed a few whiteheads popping up in places where I don't usually get them. I'm hoping that these are just transitional spots and won't show up long term after my skin adjusts.

Things I like about this product: (1) I don't wear a lot of makeup, but it removes what I do wear completely; (2) I have not noticed a film; (3) my skin feels less irritated than with other cleansers; (4) pump dispenser makes for easy (and hygenic) use. Things I don't like about this product: (1) the perfumy smell is almost overwhelming--not gross, just too much; (2) it does not lather.

All in all, I am impressed so far. I'll be back with an update after I've been using it for a while.

EDIT: I've been using this for a month now, and I absolutely love the way my skin is looking. I can't believe I stuck with harsh, acne-fighting cleansers for so long! This stuff is working wonders without all the acids and other chemicals.

To be fair, I should note that I've been using this cleanser in combination with glycerin as my moisturizer, I'm not sure whether it's the cleanser or the glycerin (or the two in combination) that is giving me such great results. Regardless, I've never been happier with my skin or spent less money on it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2008 3:59:00 AM More reviews by philosophin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Cetaphil Normal to Oily Daily Cleanser is an okay cleanser. Which isn't saying much because it seems like just about every cleanser can at least get the "ok" rating. It doesn't leave my skin dry but I have quite oily skin. But I couldn't corroborate its claim that it "leaves no residue" because I definitely felt a residue that I had to splash off my face. It doesn't do a great job at removing makeup but I have to use Revlon Colorstay for coverage, so it's a high bar to meet. Just want to say I went through the whole bottle before writing this so it's not one of those "omg I just tried it and it sucks!" kind of things. I wouldn't recommend it but I would buy it if I was in a pinch.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2007 3:16:00 PM More reviews by nessa_97

So far, so good...I bought this 2 days ago, and my skin is looking really good. When I purchased, my skin was dry and raw (from the effects of Philosophy Hope in a Jar). Within the first time I used to cleanse, my skin was "calmed down" and was no longer itchy. My face does feel a little dry if I don't put moisturizer on as soon as I wash it - but other than that, I can't complain. Doesn't appear to be clogging my pores, and rinses clean.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2007 6:54:00 PM More reviews by murphyks

I use this cleanser in the evening (alternating with Aqua Glycolic Cleanser). I think it is a basic cleanser that is good at removing the day's grime. I don't know how it is at removing makeup since I don't wear makeup. The packaging is good; I like the pump feature for easy dispensing. The price seems a little steep given that it is just a basic cleanser, but it does last a long time. I don't find my skin to be too dry or tight after using this product, but I don't have sensitive skin and my skin is definitely oily at the end of the day. This cleanser seems to stop the oily-ness without overdrying my skin. My least favorite thing about this product is the smell. It does seem overwhelming and it is quite strong.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/28/2007 2:02:00 PM More reviews by rach227

I have oily skin, but this "gentle" stuff is way too drying. I hate how it feels on my face, and it's hard to work up a lather with it. I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by dancexbabe

I'm not really a picky person when it comes to a good basic cleanser, but the smell of this stuff is far too overwhelming. it makes me feel sick. and while it does seem to be good for oily skin, I found it to be extremely drying, made my skin feel really tight, and not in a good way. Some of you probably like that it is in gel form, but it just feels icky to me. I won't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2007 6:17:00 PM More reviews by ren_kr

With so many different kinds of cleansers out there these days, this is the most basic cleanser. It cleans well with drying out your skin too much and it doesn't make me break out now that my skin is super sensitive. I tried using more expensive cleansers with antioxidants and those with promises of better skin, but they just aggravated my skin (i literally went from perfect skin to acne prone skin everywhere) and cetaphil actually calmed it back down a lot. I'll be using it until my skin returns back to normal!