July 30, 2014 | 1621 users online

Skincare - Face - Dickinson's Witch Hazel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2006 9:30:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a "can't be without it" product. I use the TNDickinson's first aid astringent. Don't know if there is a difference between the skin care version and the "first aid" version. It is so multi-functional. First, it's a great toner...not too harsh, not to wimpy. Gets rid of all that residue soap leaves AND it balances your face. It's also great for stings, itchy skin and bug bites. It is also good for toning down the scent when you use too much perfume! Yes, it has it's own smell, but the smell completely disappears once it dries. My favorite use for it is oily roots. I have thin hair with oily roots, and dry, overprocessed ends. I was determined not to torture my hair by shampooing everyday, but my roots were always so oily and stuck to my head. My stylist recommended I apply witch hazel directly from the bottle to my roots, and I'll be darned if I couldn't go a couple of days without washing:) You just wet your hair, and apply right at your scalp...like any styling product:) This is such a great, versitile product...I will never be without it! Buy the Dickinson's version or any generic...it's all the same.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2006 5:44:00 AM More reviews by lipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I use this as my all around toner in the A.M. after I get out of the shower, put my styling products in my hair and then use this on a cotton round to get any hair styling products off my skin. My hair flops around a bit until I get everything under control and a couple swips of this on your face takes care of it unless you want to layer styling products, facial lotion and makeup : ) Anyways works for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2006 12:19:00 AM More reviews by sgedison

This is just good old witch hazel, and I find it to be the best toner out there. Not to mention it soothes scrapes and bug bites. A must for any well-stocked medicine cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2006 5:28:00 PM More reviews by aet5935

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

The best product ever.. I love witch hazel. It's so good for anything, especially acne. I used to have the most horrible skin ever.. Scars, cysts, blackheads.. I have seen 3 dermatologists, all wanting to put me on Accutane. I did some research myself, and discovered glycolic acid is amazing for all acne.. I use DDF Glycolic wash, and Dickinson's witch hazel.. I used to use Thayer's Witch Hazel, but it left a film on my face. Dickinson's doesn't. I use those 2 things, that's it. I have incredible skin now. Not one pimple. :) I <3 <3 <3 witch hazel. It's a blessing from God.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2006 10:06:00 PM More reviews by amanda24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Since I am too cheap to spend money on high end skincare products, I have found a few gems at the drugstore like Dickinson's. I have normal skin and occasionally a little oil in the t-zone. Just a little of this after cleansing, and my skin feels and looks great. Its never too dry or tight. I find I use this more in the warmer months, and just once in a while in the winter when my skin is drier.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2006 1:38:00 PM More reviews by lulu2u2

I haven't found the stuff for your face yet, so I have been using the stuff that you are supposed to use on your body (it's in more of a blue container) and let me tell you, I love it! The smell is basically the worst smell I have ever smelled, but the effects of it are so good. I have pretty dry skin on my cheeks and a sun burn, but I have noticed no eccesive drying. Acutally, it helped my sun burn! It also helped clear my cystic acne which I didn't know could happen. I looked on their website about the alcohol content and this is what I found:
"Unlike other astringent products that contain high levels of either synthetic alcohol or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), our products contain only natural alcohol derived from a botanical source. This ingredient is used in limited quantities as a natural preservative."
People who are worrying about the alcohol shouldn't worry. It doesn't hurt or dry out your skin at all. Actually, it kind of makes it feel more moisturised. And plus, for the price tag, why not try it? I am definately a customer for life!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2006 10:49:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got mine free; a small travel size bottle came with my package of cotton balls. I had seen this before, but never considered it because I thought the alcohol would dry my skin (14%). But, today I was going out and didn't want to wash my face all over again, so I just applied a bit of this toner on my cheeks, forehead, nose and upper lip; and 5 hours later, I'm still shine free! I never experienced any drying effects or harsh reaction.

I have combo/oily skin, acne-prone/sensitive. I probably wouldn't use this everyday (it may become drying after consistent use) but I would definitely keep it around to use it every once in a while. I'm currently using Garnier Fresh invigorating toner (alcohol free) and I like it, but I am really liking Dickinson's 100% natural witch hazel toner too! :)

So if you want to keep shine to a minimum and have soft skin, give this a try! It's super cheap at any drugstore, so you have nothing to lose.

EDIT: I don't like this anymore... it made moisturizers harder to absorb into my skin, and gave me a few zits, surprisingly. :(

EDIT Aug 10, 2013:
I am bumping this up to 5 lippies. It works for my skin now, must've been something else I was using previously that made me breakout before. I use it either with a cotton pad, or I have some in a spray bottle that I spritz my face with prior to using my LUSH moisturizer to help it emulsify and thin out. It doesn't dry my skin, and I feel like it helps to make my face less oily. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2006 2:30:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this toner more as a body spray in the summer, and for a refreshing face spritz throughout the day. It is so cooling and refreshing. I don't use toners normally, but this is really gentle and soothing. The price is great too.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2006 3:17:00 PM More reviews by JELo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. Yes, it doesn not smell pretty but for a dirt cheap price and great results, who cares! I've had terrible, horrible skin since puberty (and I'm now in my 30s). I've tried every thing out there including ProActive and Accutane and nothing consistently worked. After stumbling onto the Aspirin Mask/Scrub on MUA and Witch Hazel, I FINALLY have nice skin.

My regime:
1. Wash and rinse face with Dove soap to take off makeup
2. Lather up Dove soap again and add precrushed aspirin (check on Aspirin Mask for tips) and scrub face
3. Dry and follow wtih Witch Hazel as toner
4. Follow with Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion

I do this every morning and every night (sans scrub).

It is working great! I hope this helps others that are fighting a seemingly, losing battle with their skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2006 2:51:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is HG. Removes all dirt, oil, and makeup w/out drying out my skin. I'm super oily and this is a perfect balance for my skin. I use it twice daily and will continue to use.