Dickinson's Witch Hazel

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

on 1/24/2008 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I believe this stuff has changed my skin so much! I use a cleanser every night and then use witch hazel as a toner. Any pimple I have, will vanish by the morning. My skin looks clear and feels so much softer. I wear foundation a lot less now, because my skin tone is actually more even and clear than before. Months ago, I would never go without my foundation! It doesn't dry out my skin at all, and I have dry skin to begin with. Also, I notice I don't break out anymore, and i'm still using the same products that use to break me out. I think it's all because of this. I will never stop using this! I'm so glad I decided to try this.. I reccommend it to everybody.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

yes i suppose this makes my skin softer, maybe even clearer, is gentle and removes residue makeup. but this stuff smells horrendous. try to smell it in the drugstore before you buy if at all possible.

EDIT:
ok ok... i give in. i learned to deal with the smell and overall this is a great toner. it's gentle and yet somehow keeps your skin clear. also... cheap. so i increased the rating from 3 to 4

on 1/19/2008 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the first witch hazel I've ever used and I have to say that I love it. It never dries my skin! And though I have oily skin, my skin also gets dry and sensitive like mad.
The smell is wild for the first few uses...but you do get used to it.
I have acne and that's why I had decided to give the stuff a try. It controls my acne like no other product I've tried has done.

on 1/18/2008 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've always liked witch hazel. I've been using this as a toner and yes the smell is bad but isn't THAT bad and it doesn't linger. It's so refreshing, love the way it feels on my face and neck. No irritation from the alcohol. All in all, great product. I bought the 16 oz bottle at Walgreen's on sale for $5 but saw the same bottle at Wal-Mart for $2 - which is even better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I went through a couple of bottles of this and was reasonably happy with it as a toner but it does have a very high alcohol content and it smells like it does too. I'm trying to get away from alcohol (in toners hehehehehe) altogether so I won't repurchase this. In Australia this retails for $8 so there are a number of toners on the market that have some additional ingredients that are helpful to the skin...I just don't like any of them!
Witch hazel is good as a toner and I think you could probably buy 100% strength at your health food store instead of this stuff.

Ingredients: Witch Hazel (All Natural), Alcohol (Contains 14%) (and), Witch Hazel Extract

on 1/10/2008 5:47:00 PM

I decided to try this, and it's become my HG toner because it's so gentle on my skin, while other toners were too harsh. I especially like that this is cheap, yet comes in a large bottle.

on 1/4/2008 6:43:00 PM

Eeeeeek, what a nasty smell!!! .Seriously, bad bad bad. It may work decent, but I can not get past the horrendous odor...GAWD

on 12/31/2007 6:36:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this product for about a week and can see a real difference in my skin! My pores are noticeably tighter and my cheeks (which are usually blotchy/red/irritated) look so much better...not perfect yet but improved enough that I don't cringe when I look in the mirror in the morning. :) The toner was a bit drying at first but it seems to be less so now that I am using a nonsoap cleanser (Eucerin). I am keeping my fingers crossed that this toner will continue to work!

on 12/18/2007 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I had been using Bobbi Brown's Soothing Tonic as a toner, which I love, but I was looking for something cheaper, if possible. I switched to Dickinson's witch hazel for about 2 months, upon the great recommendations here on MUA. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed. Not only did the witch hazel not maintain the nice skin I had while using the BB, my skin seemed to break out more while using the witch hazel and it wasn't as smooth. To be fair, I used the witch hazel for a couple of months, which was well beyond any purging time if that was what the problem was. Another problem was that I find the smell of the witch hazel totally awful. I was able to tolerate it when I thought it would be providing skin benefits, but when I found that it didn't, I stopped using it. The good thing about the witch hazel is that it's super cheap. The flip top enables you to squirt out just the exact amount you need. So, if you think it's worth a try, go for it - you'll only be out a few dollars if you hate it. However, for toning purposes, I will stick with my beloved BB Soothing Tonic - great smell, does a great job - removes any leftover makeup or residue from cleansing my face, and calms my skin without drying because it's alcohol free. I just love the Soothing Tonic and will never stray again.

on 12/2/2007 6:01:00 PM

I was nervous about using this at first because of the alcohol content, but now that I have been using it for a week I must say I really love it! My skin feels much more balanced, whereas before it would get oily really easily. I only use it at night after I wash my face, and then I apply a benzoyl peroxide treatment afterwards. Yeah it smells different...not awful but not good. But if it makes my skin look good I don't care what it smells like :)
UPDATE: For whatever reason, this makes me breakout. But I'm glad others have had success with it.