December 18, 2014 | 1824 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2011 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Jorid

I bought this mascara because of the ugly packaging colours. Seriously? Coral and green? Not really. I was expecting a larger sized brush, but the rubbery thing actually looks like it would work fine.

I was sadly wrong. The mascara applies clumpy and it doesn't even help to comb through with a eyelash comb afterwards. You have to be especially careful when applying to your lower lashes, I end up looking like a doll and have to remove half of it with a q-tip afterwards. It claims to give your lashes volume, well yeah if clumps are volume.

In addition to being horribly clumpy, this mascara also leaves me with dark falloff under my eyes! Even when I've only applied one stroke to my upper lashes. I have to check during the day if I look like a panda or not. The little that's left on your lashes is easy to remove at the end of the day though.

It does not smell or make my eyes itch though.

I will not buy this mascara again, and not recommend anyone else to buy it. I wont give up Maybelline mascaras yet, but I'll look for another one next time they are on sale.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I really like this a lot more than I thought I would. The way they market it made me think it'd be very similar to L'Oreal Million Lashes. This blows that away. What I like is that it's volumizing, but not clumpy and it only takes a couple coats to get the effect I want. Oh, and it doesn't smudge, which is huge (I'm looking at you, Voluminous).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by shop74

I have tried all mascaras from Dior to Covergirl and this is the best new mascara out there. It does not bother my contacts! Can you believe that it works. I will not buy another mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by LindaYAY

I bought this in Very Black, washable from CVS because I had a $3 off coupon. I really like this mascara. It's great at separating my lashes and defining them. I can tell that it makes my lashes longer because my lashes hit the lens of my glasses, haha. :) It's not particularly volumizing though. If you're looking for big, fat lashes, this is not for you. I would expect this effect from maybe Define-A-Lash or Lash Stiletto.

The packaging is probably what drew me to this. It's in a pink/red bright tube with blue accents. The brush is fat in the middle, but tapers off on either end. The bristles are rubber and flexible, which I think helps separates the lashes. The bristles are in neat rows. I know that one of the claims is that there are three bristles per lash. I wonder how this works since it doesn't seem like my lashes are being caught in three bristles. Still, great brush. Also, the wand is bendy, which might be helpful for some. At first I thought that I would be constantly poke myself in the eye, but I haven't so far :) It's easy to quickly swipe this mascara on if you're in a hurry, too.

The only thing that I don't like about this is the smell. I'm familiar with the general scent of mascaras, but this is completely different. It's a different kind of smell, and it's strong. I can smell this as I'm applying! I took off one lippie for this.

UPDATE: The smell fades. This is my everyday, go-to mascara because it makes your lashes look so natural, and application is incredibly easy. I apply one coat by swiping it through, and then pressing the brush into the base of my lashes, building up volume. It's almost impossible to make clumps with one coat. Even 2-3 coats looks great, and it builds volume with each coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by acd964

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this mascara!!:). It really does define EVERY lash! I wish it gave me more volume though... I definitely liked this better then the falsies! The brush is my favorite part about this mascara. It is similar to the cover girl last blast only smaller and a lot easier to use:)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by veronicapaige

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara is great for me. I used to swear by CG Lash Blast (orange tube) but I think I might like this one better! It doesn't flake, it gives me volume and length, and I don't have to use as many coats or strokes with this one. I also really enjoy the brush...it's kind of flimsy but it works wonders. I hope Maybelline doesn't discountinue this item because this is my new all time favorite drug-store mascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by notanotheramy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Meh... If you ENJOY applying 2-3 coats of mascara, you might like the results of One by One. IMO, you literally have to coat EACH lash "one by one" to get any length, volume, or pretty much anything else out of this.

It does not cause my eyes to itch, no horrible smell, no flaking,,,just a labor intensive application. Glad I only paid about $5.00!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2011 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I reallly like this product. I have SEVERE problems with mascaras. Most I can't even use because it either burns my eyes and/or gives me a headache. This one does neither. I also really like the brush design. I prefer the plastic wands to the bristle wands.. and the design is better than the previous. (Lash blast and what not) It really separates the lashes. I also noticed it actually has a nice scent to it too. (at least it does to me) Most mascaras smell gross.. But this one has a floral scent.. almost like roses. I think I have found my HG mascara!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2011 12:02:00 AM More reviews by ilovelagerfeld

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

horrible.

my lashes aren't sparse by any means, but they do look much better with mascara on them, which is why i wear it...

too bad this product can't deposit anything on my lashes! it does coat them fairly cleanly and does separate them pretty well on the first coat, but after that it's all downhill.

i'm going to use this as a first coat before the falsies so i get the separation i want from this and the oomph i expect from a mascara from the falsies.

by itself, though, it's useless.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by KiKiDisney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this out because I love maybelline mascaras and my lashes do not like to separate for anything. When I first got this I didn't like it because I thought it made my lashes clumpy and I thought it irritated my eyes. Then I found out it was something else irritating my eyes. After a month of using it, I actually really like it. It separates my lashes really well and it makes them very defined and pretty. It adds some volume too. I feel like the formula is pretty dry for the most part at least for me. Other people think otherwise but for me its dry and I like that. All you need is one coat. Sometimes I can add two coats but the more coats you add, the clumpier it gets. It does have that rose scent that everyone hates but it doesn't bother me and you don't smell it when it's on. The brush has absolutely no clumps though. I rarely have to wipe anything off. Overall, pretty good.