Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

this definetly is less luminesant than the original formula however it doesnt do a lot for oil absorbtion. so if you have really oily skin(like me) you have to keep on re-applying pretty frequently- which then leads to breakouts because no matter how non-comedermagenic or non-acnegenic makeup is formultated to be- if you put tons of layers on- pores are going to be clogged. the packaging is nice, it has a twist closure on the inside that keeps the powder from falling out inside the case, but i still prefer to use pressed powder just because of the mess. this is light to medium coverage you wouldnt need liquid foundation but you would need concealer. the variety of shades= perfect. golden medium (i think it is called) is heaven. I just wish they had added an oil absorbing ingredient like silica or rice powder. wouldnt buy it again for my skin type but love the packaging and variety of shades.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm on the fence about this. Just a few thoughts from my experience so far. To start with the shades are different. I'm normally fairly light but in the matte it's a darker, almost orangey shade. Also, it definitely does not cover as well, not redness anyway. On the plus side it does shrink pore size. I don't have issues w/oiliness so either formula is fine for me in that regard. I actually bought the matte because it apparently has their rare minerals complex in it that's supposed to help w/hydration.

How the matte formula differs than the original foundation;
-No bismuth. Good for those who broke out with the original formula.
-Doesn't have that never ending shine that pops up throughout the day and requires blotting. Yay for those with combo or oily skin!
-Oxidizes. Definitely. Enough to where whatever shade you wore with the original formula may be too dark. Also, shades seem more yellow.
-Packaging. The sifter now has a cover that you turn to close over the holes.
-Price. $28, whereas the original is $25.
-Size. Matte 0.2 oz. Original 0.3 oz.
-Some people are saying the original had more coverage, but I found the opposite was true for me.

The matte version is perfect if you liked the original formula but did not like the shine. Also, if you weren't happy with the shades, try the new matte range out. They all seem to slightly differ from the original shades. I am still not too keen on the idea that I am paying more money for less product. I may just have to get over it, because I do love this new matte line. :)

Hope this helped. I wear Medium Beige for reference. I have slightly tan, peachy skin.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

What an improvement to the original! I've always liked the idea of minerals, so every time I would see the BE infomercial, I would grab the original out of the back my makeup drawer and try using it again. Unfortunately, the results were always the same: flawless for the first couple hours, shiny for a few more, then I would blot and the pores on my nose looked huge and blackish (anyone else have this problem?) The original was also very itchy/burny in warm weather and caused cystic type acne lesions (I'm not very acne prone, mostly 1 or 2 hormonal pimples once a month). I was in Ulta recently and received a sample of this matte formula. Honestly, I didn't try it right away for two reasons: one, the color the SA gave me was 2N Medium Beige. I've always used either 1N Fairly Light or 1G Light so the 2N freaked me out. Second, my experiences with the original were so bad I figured I shouldn't go there again. So this sample sat with my other makeup rejects for a bit. Fast foward a couple months and I gave it a try. The ingredients in this formula are much better for my skin than the original. There is no bismuth which is what causes the itching/burning/acne combo for me and no mica which is what makes the original so shiny looking. This formula contains silica which is found in a lot of mattifying foundations and primers, giving it great oil contol and a soft, creamy finish. I buffed 2 light layers over concealer with my Signature Minerals kabuki brush (this is the softest, most gentle buki ever!) and dusted some finishing powder over it with my fluffy Ulta powder brush and it looks amazing! Even the color is perfect (not too dark or light). I disagree with the reviewers who say this runs darker than the original. On me the 2N in the original was WAY too dark for my NW20ish skin. In the matte formula it's PERFECT. I will update periodically with my thoughts on this. Right now 5 lippies all the way! Hope this helps. <3

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I got very excited when I heard that Bare Minerals came out with a Matte formula. I used the original foundation, but I hated out my face looked really shiny, even when Iusing the concealer and tinted mineral veil. With me having acne prone skin and oil control issues, one of the last things I need is for my face to look shiny. I stopped using the original foundation and started using other mineral make-up products like CoverGirl, PurMinerals, Clinique, and Avon, but those weren't really working out for me.

With the Bare Minerals Matte Formula, I only have to touch up/oil-blot my face once, or twice at the most during the day. I've also been getting compliments on how good my skin looks, and I still do have acne scars. This product is great for the most part, the only downside is that my face can look "overly done" in certain lighting, but I guess that's the case for all make-up

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just got this in Fair, I don't even know why, because I had gotten a sample a while ago and I didn't like anything about it...
But anyway, I bought the full size yesterday and used it today...and back it goes tomorrow.
- Lame coverage - 5 hours into wearing it, it looks patchy and all my acne scars show
- Made me oily in like an hour, it's gross
- Oxidized 3 after 2 hours of wearing it. I'm at work and my face is reddish, I cannot even wash it out dammit!
- My face feels funny, burny and slightly itchy, I'm guessing a reaction to this horrible product.
Needless to say I think it's a crappy product and won't rebuy.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Its not bad but it's a miracle worker either. Not for me at least. Colour matching is too much effort on my part because I'd have to magically blend medium & medium beige with the bronzer to get the appropriate colour for my skin. In terms of the feeling on my face it is light but i just didn't like the look of it, so I went back to my liquid foundations. Over time I just incorporated the two. I'd start with a face primer (MUFE's hd primer in neutral) then use my MAC sff in nw30 then set it with Bare Escentuals medium or medium beige which ever is closer. Keeps both products in place and I'm much happier with the look.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I guess i'm one of the few who really like this product. I have oily/combo/acne prone/sensitive you name it type skin. No breakouts and this last allllll day without making me look like a oily mess. I bought this after my MAC Studio Fix Powder broke me out. I wanted my skin to heal and I didn't want it clog my pores anymore than they already were, so I bought this. I am sooooo loving it. It doesn't make your face shiny like the other formula does but it's not super matte to where it looks weird. You get a real natural finish that last alllll day. This formula is perfect for summer days and the original formula would be good for fall/winter. I always try out different brands of foundation but always seem to go back to BE. Love it!!!

So disappointed, I like the original better and that's not saying much!!
Thumbs down Bare escentuals!!!!!

This product is amazing!!!! Makes my skin look absolutely flawless!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products