Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.7

100% silica

on 12/6/2008 8:34:00 AM

I agree with one of the reviewers before that this powder definitely leaves a white masky look. I was in a wedding and realized after viewing the pictures that I looked chalky and washed-out. None of my other makeup looked like I had even applied it!! UGH I was PO'd to say the least.

on 12/6/2008 4:32:00 AM

Read the review below. Girls I am not going to advertise against silica, enjoy if you like it. Please HOLD your breath while applying silica or any other loose powders. After you are finished, run to another room and get some fresh fume-free air. As for the powder, I don't like it, it's itchy, irritating and drying (not mattifying), feels heavy and suffocating.

on 12/6/2008 2:07:00 AM

My first loose powder was Laura Mercier's Translucent Powder. It was good but it didn't seem to cut it especially during the summer (I have combination-oily skin). So I decided to get HD High Definition Loose Powder. The good thing is that it is extremely finely milled as some other reviewers have mentioned. It is probably one of the most finely milled powders I've ever encountered. As a result, it blends so nicely onto the skin. However, this "nice finish" seems to only work on certain types of foundation in my opinion. It works great on mineral foundation and actually controls the shine. However, on my liquid foundation, it either doesn't keep the oils at bay or it accentuates lines or pores on my face. I'm also giving it a 2 because for me, it cannot be reapplied throughout the day (it'll creep into fine lines and give a white cast). Also, the powder seems to sometimes get "trapped" between the very small fine facial hairs (like the very fine ones that you would never really see)...and this sometimes contributes to the appearance of a white mask (since it wasn't able to go into the skin). Lastly, the BIGGEST problem I have with this powder is the FUMES. It might not bug some people but for safety health reasons, I wouldn't suggest people buy this. The fumes are really bad for me. When I apply this powder with a brush, the fumes will sometimes get into my nose (even if it's just in the air) and it makes me sneeze, cough, clogs my nose (makes it difficult to breathe sometimes). And I'm sure this isn't a good thing. So just a heads up girls!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is by far the best product ever..... everyone needs this in their makeup box..... most do not know but putting this over ur foundation and eyeshadow actually waterproofs it.... i tested it out using Benefit Shelaq and the hd power and shelaq actually took off some on the foundation, but where i put the high def on its stay perfectly in place..... even while swimming

on 11/29/2008 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Works well, I think of course it was made to go with the HD foundation. It's sheer and light weight and never cakes. Plus it works with any skintone and is 100% silica. I have combination skin most of the year and dry skin in the winter. I don't find myself using it alot, to be honest. Maybe when my skin gets a bit more oily.

on 11/29/2008 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Was recommended by the MUA at Sephora and have loved it every since. This is way better than the Oil Control Rice Powder by Fyrinnae. It's micro-fine and very easy to apply. Does not create a white shadow on your face.

I tried one day using it, the second day without it, and the third day with half my face with it and the other half without. The results were amazing...for me that is. Without it, my face became an oil slick. With it, it was way less oily than what it would normally be.

A little bit means a lot and I'm sure it will last me a long time.

The only thing I wish is that the packaging have a cap on top of the holes, so that powder will not leak, especially when travelling with the product. That way when you open the cap, it won't be filled with powder.

To see a video on how this compares to Coastal Scents Silica Powder, check it out here:

on 11/27/2008 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The reason why I bought this was because I had received a nice sample from a really nice mua'er here. It controlled oil nicely I must say. This is a whole lot better than the MAC Pro invisible setting loose powder (this coming from a girl who loves almost anything MAC but the powder was a bit disappointing). So I decided that I was gonna go to Sephora and buy the limited edition that came with the kabuki brush. I really like it and a little DOES go a loooonnngg way. I looked in the mirror the first time that I tried it with the kabuki brush thinking that I had to touch up and to my surprise I wasn't shiny at all. My makeup looked fresh and nice. I like this product for that. The only reason why I'm giving 4 lippies is the price. Then again I'm saving 20 bucks because each piece alone is expensive so it's really a no-brainer. I decided to keep it in the end because of the oil control factor but I won't repurchase again because this will last me a long while and I'm pretty sure that I can get silica powder somewhere for way less. Once I run out of this powder I'll just buy the powder from somewhere else and put it in my empty jar and that's it. However, I do recommend this product it's good.

on 11/24/2008 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This powder looks like it's in a tiny container but it's so fine and so little is necessary to use that this has actually lasted me three times as long as my more "full size" looking powders.

I really do like this product. It's ground up silica. That's pretty much all it is. It doesn't do anything like control excess oil or add skincare benefits to the skin but it does do what it's designed to do. It's sets your makeup without looking powdery and it is so finely milled that it creates a smooth even surface on the skin.

I'm really happy with it. It also doesn't seem to be so drying that it gets caught in fine lines. I have combination oily skin and it doesn't break down at the end of the day plus it really does keep my makeup in place. If you are looking for a good all over powder that is acne-prone and sensitive skin friendly, this is a good one to go with. Might be my new favorite powder.

on 11/22/2008 6:17:00 PM

I started out with a small sample of this, and I guess I bought into the hype and regardless of not seeing any major improvement - I went ahead and purchased a full 10g jar.

I used it a couple of times and realised that whatever this is supposed to do - my face doesn't require ;) I see no difference whatsoever, and it doesn't control oil at all.

For the price I would say this is more suited towards older ladies with mature skin...maybe then you'll see the magic effect?

on 11/21/2008 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I had to get the HD powder when I purchased the HD foundation because I was told by the girl at Sephora that the HD powder was perfect for setting your makeup and giving your skin an airbrushed, glowy look.
I rely on other products by MAC to make me glowy, but it certaintly helps to rely on MUFE HD powder to give me an airbrushed look. A little goes a long way with this stuff, so make sure to apply with a light hand or your face may look like a cottonball! Because the powder is white and a universally flattering shade, it really adheres to the skin. I have the best luck with this stuff when I use moisturizer of my choice, Prep & Prime by MAC, MUFE HD foundation, MAC MSFN and whatever cheek color I'm feeling for the day, and a light dusing of this HD powder with a large blush brush all over my face. My last step is to use Fix+ and that really sets off the look.
The HD powder is definitely a must have if you want your skin to feel like silk and look airbrushed. It is pricey, but it's worth it. I also love the little jar.

Video Reviews & Tutorials