Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.8

100% silica

on 11/29/2008 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Was recommended by the MUA at Sephora and have loved it every since. This is way better than the Oil Control Rice Powder by Fyrinnae. It's micro-fine and very easy to apply. Does not create a white shadow on your face.

I tried one day using it, the second day without it, and the third day with half my face with it and the other half without. The results were amazing...for me that is. Without it, my face became an oil slick. With it, it was way less oily than what it would normally be.

A little bit means a lot and I'm sure it will last me a long time.

The only thing I wish is that the packaging have a cap on top of the holes, so that powder will not leak, especially when travelling with the product. That way when you open the cap, it won't be filled with powder.

To see a video on how this compares to Coastal Scents Silica Powder, check it out here:

on 11/27/2008 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The reason why I bought this was because I had received a nice sample from a really nice mua'er here. It controlled oil nicely I must say. This is a whole lot better than the MAC Pro invisible setting loose powder (this coming from a girl who loves almost anything MAC but the powder was a bit disappointing). So I decided that I was gonna go to Sephora and buy the limited edition that came with the kabuki brush. I really like it and a little DOES go a loooonnngg way. I looked in the mirror the first time that I tried it with the kabuki brush thinking that I had to touch up and to my surprise I wasn't shiny at all. My makeup looked fresh and nice. I like this product for that. The only reason why I'm giving 4 lippies is the price. Then again I'm saving 20 bucks because each piece alone is expensive so it's really a no-brainer. I decided to keep it in the end because of the oil control factor but I won't repurchase again because this will last me a long while and I'm pretty sure that I can get silica powder somewhere for way less. Once I run out of this powder I'll just buy the powder from somewhere else and put it in my empty jar and that's it. However, I do recommend this product it's good.

on 11/24/2008 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This powder looks like it's in a tiny container but it's so fine and so little is necessary to use that this has actually lasted me three times as long as my more "full size" looking powders.

I really do like this product. It's ground up silica. That's pretty much all it is. It doesn't do anything like control excess oil or add skincare benefits to the skin but it does do what it's designed to do. It's sets your makeup without looking powdery and it is so finely milled that it creates a smooth even surface on the skin.

I'm really happy with it. It also doesn't seem to be so drying that it gets caught in fine lines. I have combination oily skin and it doesn't break down at the end of the day plus it really does keep my makeup in place. If you are looking for a good all over powder that is acne-prone and sensitive skin friendly, this is a good one to go with. Might be my new favorite powder.

on 11/22/2008 6:17:00 PM

I started out with a small sample of this, and I guess I bought into the hype and regardless of not seeing any major improvement - I went ahead and purchased a full 10g jar.

I used it a couple of times and realised that whatever this is supposed to do - my face doesn't require ;) I see no difference whatsoever, and it doesn't control oil at all.

For the price I would say this is more suited towards older ladies with mature skin...maybe then you'll see the magic effect?

on 11/21/2008 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I had to get the HD powder when I purchased the HD foundation because I was told by the girl at Sephora that the HD powder was perfect for setting your makeup and giving your skin an airbrushed, glowy look.
I rely on other products by MAC to make me glowy, but it certaintly helps to rely on MUFE HD powder to give me an airbrushed look. A little goes a long way with this stuff, so make sure to apply with a light hand or your face may look like a cottonball! Because the powder is white and a universally flattering shade, it really adheres to the skin. I have the best luck with this stuff when I use moisturizer of my choice, Prep & Prime by MAC, MUFE HD foundation, MAC MSFN and whatever cheek color I'm feeling for the day, and a light dusing of this HD powder with a large blush brush all over my face. My last step is to use Fix+ and that really sets off the look.
The HD powder is definitely a must have if you want your skin to feel like silk and look airbrushed. It is pricey, but it's worth it. I also love the little jar.

on 11/21/2008 12:18:00 AM

Why does the best stuff cost an arm and a leg? I don't know, but when it works like this stuff does, then I don't mind spending it. Because absolutely nothing beats the feeling I get when I look at myself in the mirror and my skin is glowing, flawless, and looks BARE. I will repurchase forever. God forbid this wonderful product is somehow not ever made.

on 11/20/2008 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Wow! Wowwowwow. I received a half-container of this in a swap (thanks, Sylvia!). I thought it would be a perfect way to try it since I didn't believe all the hype. I do now. If you're of a certain age, this really makes a difference in the appearance of your skin. It truly does help hide wrinkles and dark spots and anything elseyou don't want on display. I'd imagine this can look chalky fast if you apply too much, but it's perfect if applied *very* lightly with a big, fluffy brush. I use it over my grail GA FF. My only complaint is that it's a very dry powder, and my skin is dry, but I use so little it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you're young and have pretty good skin save your money, but if you're older and have a few things you don't want to advertise, get this powder--you won't regret it!

Update 1/26/09: although I love the effect of this powder, it's too drying for my already-dry skin and I've swapped it away.

on 11/19/2008 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I have used this product for a few months and I am just getting around to adding my two cents. Anyhow, I have very oily skin and it starts to show about 2 hours after my initial make up application. Although costly, I decided to give this a try. For me at least, this product is awesome! It keeps the oil at bay for hours. With this stuff 10 hours after my initial make up application; the oil I see is actually LESS than what I used to see at the 2 hour point before using this product. I did select that I will not buy this HD Powder again, as I have learned that I can get silica powder elsewhere for WAY less. I doubt that I will be buying any powder anytime soon though, because the amount I have will last me a very long time.

on 11/17/2008 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Cool

I bought this powder when it first came out hoping it would make my skin look flawless and airbrushed. Now it just sits in my makeup case still almost full(which is the only plus, I've had it for months). When I do use it, the powder goes EVERYWHERE, over half the product goes into the air before hitting the brush. That's how finely milled it is but still such a waste. It doesn't control my oily skin, actually it makes mine worse. And I break out after using it. Maybe a tiny improvement in a glow to my skin and softness but that's it. Overall, not worth the money and will not purchase again. A total mistake.

on 11/17/2008 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The only problem with this product is that I won't pay $30 for .35 oz of this stuff that is simply 100% pure silica powder that I can get for $4 for a full 1 oz from other places. And the other one is much more finely milled. Fabulous product, rip off price. How dare this company take advantage like this and charge more than 400% than what others charge for the same thing. Do not be fooled, this is just 100% silica powder, nothing more. I deducted 2 lippies for the rediculous price. Silica powder makes me look flawless,poreless,lineless, controls oil and does not cake at all, just glowy!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials