Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

100% silica

on 11/24/2008 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This powder looks like it's in a tiny container but it's so fine and so little is necessary to use that this has actually lasted me three times as long as my more "full size" looking powders.

I really do like this product. It's ground up silica. That's pretty much all it is. It doesn't do anything like control excess oil or add skincare benefits to the skin but it does do what it's designed to do. It's sets your makeup without looking powdery and it is so finely milled that it creates a smooth even surface on the skin.

I'm really happy with it. It also doesn't seem to be so drying that it gets caught in fine lines. I have combination oily skin and it doesn't break down at the end of the day plus it really does keep my makeup in place. If you are looking for a good all over powder that is acne-prone and sensitive skin friendly, this is a good one to go with. Might be my new favorite powder.

on 11/22/2008 6:17:00 PM

I started out with a small sample of this, and I guess I bought into the hype and regardless of not seeing any major improvement - I went ahead and purchased a full 10g jar.

I used it a couple of times and realised that whatever this is supposed to do - my face doesn't require ;) I see no difference whatsoever, and it doesn't control oil at all.

For the price I would say this is more suited towards older ladies with mature skin...maybe then you'll see the magic effect?

on 11/21/2008 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I had to get the HD powder when I purchased the HD foundation because I was told by the girl at Sephora that the HD powder was perfect for setting your makeup and giving your skin an airbrushed, glowy look.
I rely on other products by MAC to make me glowy, but it certaintly helps to rely on MUFE HD powder to give me an airbrushed look. A little goes a long way with this stuff, so make sure to apply with a light hand or your face may look like a cottonball! Because the powder is white and a universally flattering shade, it really adheres to the skin. I have the best luck with this stuff when I use moisturizer of my choice, Prep & Prime by MAC, MUFE HD foundation, MAC MSFN and whatever cheek color I'm feeling for the day, and a light dusing of this HD powder with a large blush brush all over my face. My last step is to use Fix+ and that really sets off the look.
The HD powder is definitely a must have if you want your skin to feel like silk and look airbrushed. It is pricey, but it's worth it. I also love the little jar.

on 11/21/2008 12:18:00 AM

Why does the best stuff cost an arm and a leg? I don't know, but when it works like this stuff does, then I don't mind spending it. Because absolutely nothing beats the feeling I get when I look at myself in the mirror and my skin is glowing, flawless, and looks BARE. I will repurchase forever. God forbid this wonderful product is somehow not ever made.

on 11/20/2008 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Wow! Wowwowwow. I received a half-container of this in a swap (thanks, Sylvia!). I thought it would be a perfect way to try it since I didn't believe all the hype. I do now. If you're of a certain age, this really makes a difference in the appearance of your skin. It truly does help hide wrinkles and dark spots and anything elseyou don't want on display. I'd imagine this can look chalky fast if you apply too much, but it's perfect if applied *very* lightly with a big, fluffy brush. I use it over my grail GA FF. My only complaint is that it's a very dry powder, and my skin is dry, but I use so little it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you're young and have pretty good skin save your money, but if you're older and have a few things you don't want to advertise, get this powder--you won't regret it!

Update 1/26/09: although I love the effect of this powder, it's too drying for my already-dry skin and I've swapped it away.

on 11/19/2008 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I have used this product for a few months and I am just getting around to adding my two cents. Anyhow, I have very oily skin and it starts to show about 2 hours after my initial make up application. Although costly, I decided to give this a try. For me at least, this product is awesome! It keeps the oil at bay for hours. With this stuff 10 hours after my initial make up application; the oil I see is actually LESS than what I used to see at the 2 hour point before using this product. I did select that I will not buy this HD Powder again, as I have learned that I can get silica powder elsewhere for WAY less. I doubt that I will be buying any powder anytime soon though, because the amount I have will last me a very long time.

on 11/17/2008 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Cool

I bought this powder when it first came out hoping it would make my skin look flawless and airbrushed. Now it just sits in my makeup case still almost full(which is the only plus, I've had it for months). When I do use it, the powder goes EVERYWHERE, over half the product goes into the air before hitting the brush. That's how finely milled it is but still such a waste. It doesn't control my oily skin, actually it makes mine worse. And I break out after using it. Maybe a tiny improvement in a glow to my skin and softness but that's it. Overall, not worth the money and will not purchase again. A total mistake.

on 11/17/2008 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The only problem with this product is that I won't pay $30 for .35 oz of this stuff that is simply 100% pure silica powder that I can get for $4 for a full 1 oz from other places. And the other one is much more finely milled. Fabulous product, rip off price. How dare this company take advantage like this and charge more than 400% than what others charge for the same thing. Do not be fooled, this is just 100% silica powder, nothing more. I deducted 2 lippies for the rediculous price. Silica powder makes me look flawless,poreless,lineless, controls oil and does not cake at all, just glowy!!

on 11/8/2008 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I originally went into Sephora to purchase MUFE's Super Matte, but they didn't carry it. The SA offered this to me, and I bought it on a whim. It does leave a nice, matte, soft-focus finish combined with my lovely HD foundation. The oil control seems good, I'll report back once I've worn it a full day!

Finally gave in to the hype, and it was worth it! This is a great powder, it puts all loose/pressed powders I've tried before to shame. It's light, sets makeup, doesn't look powdery, lasts all day, and feels like silk! You really only need a tiny bit of this so the jar lasts forever. I use maybe a half of a dime size amount for my whole face. This makes my foundations all look better and photography very well. Love this!

Video Reviews & Tutorials