September 30, 2014 | 1211 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2009 10:44:00 PM More reviews by tobybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are so many good reviews of this product, so I thought I would give it a try. It's a cream, so it's consistency is- creamy- of course. The jar is pretty and the rose scent didn't bother me, but it's strong. It felt nice going on, sort of cool and soothing.
I smoothed the product onto my damp skin, let it sit for a minute, then gently wiped it away with a wet cloth. But, after following up with a rinse to remove the last bit, my skin started to feel warm, then it started to sting! It didn't remove my makeup very well, and made my skin feel a bit dry. Weird, since I have oily skin.
I also have mild rosacea, so that could be why it irritated my skin. Not a re-buy for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 1:13:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

I have oily skin and .... drumroll please ... I love cold cream! It helps keep my pores clear and my sebum flowing normally in much the same way as the oil cleansing method, but it feels a bit more indulgent and glamorous to use a cream.

Ponds is the only store brand of cold cream I have used. I wanted to give it a try because if you Google "cold cream" you'll find so many raves about it -- it *is* the original classic -- and I wanted to give it a try and compare it to my usual homemade cold cream.

It's okay. I'm not a big fan of mineral oil, not because I think it's going to give me The Cancers or anything but because I prefer not to help create demand for petroleum products. Plus, mineral oil is completely inert, whereas plant-based oils may have antioxidants and other skin-friendly properties.

It feels, cleans and wipes off very much like my homemade cream. The scent is very strong. I don't mind roses, but I get slightly nervous using anything so very perfumed on my face, so for that reason alone I'll skip the Ponds as long as I have an alternative. It leaves my face soft and clean.

An advantage of Ponds is, of course, that it has preservatives, good for those who don't want to have to keep track of how fresh their cold cream is or anyone who only uses cold cream once in a long while.

If you have oily skin and are concerned about cold cream leaving a film, take a soft washcloth and wring it in hot or very warm water; lay it over your face to steam for a minute and then wipe the cold cream off. Rinse and wring the cloth again and wipe, wipe, wipe some more. Every oily cleanser I've used does make me break out if I'm not careful to remove every last trace of it, but as long as I wipe and rinse carefully I have no problems, and my skin has been noticeably less oily with fewer clogged pores since I've incorporated oil-based cleansers into my routine.

ETA: I wanted to use up the jar I bought, so I started using it more regularly, particularly since I've been wearing heavy makeup for dance class performances. I have to admit I'm hooked now. My skin is so soft, and the Pond's does such a good job of getting off the conventional makeup (as opposed to mineral makeup) that I use for the stage. It's not so great on the eye makeup -- everyday eye makeup yes, stage makeup with cream eyeliner and waterproof mascara no. I prefer Queen Helene Triple Whipped for that. But on the whole, I like it, it's more convenient than making my own, obviously, and I think I'll keep some around as a staple.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 9:39:00 PM More reviews by pmbechtle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

You know how they say that your sense of smell evokes your deepest memories? When I massage Ponds on to remove my waterproof mascara, long lasting foundations, and lipstick it takes me back in time. I'm with my mom, watching her cleanse her face (she used Ponds exclusively to cleanse). The smell is like a hug from her. Needless to say, I like the smell of Ponds cold cream :)
This is the best makeup remover ever made, imho. No wonder it's been an established product for generations! I massage it in for about a minute for the sheer, sensual pleasure of it. I don't think you need to do this. It just *feels* good. I wipe it off with a warm washcloth and there is not a trace of makeup left behind. It leaves my skin clean and nicely moisturized. It also lifts my spirits after a long, exhausting day. All this for $5! Ain't life grand?

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2009 6:23:00 AM More reviews by 123lluuppee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i use it as a eye makeup remover...A+++

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 10:09:00 PM More reviews by mbasham369

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the few products I use consistently and replace when I've used it up instead of trying something else. I use this as a cleanser in the morning and at night, it's very refreshing. I have oily skin with a little acne occasionally, so I use the oily/combination skin version with cucumber (the one with the seafoam-coloured lid). I take off my eye makeup with a Ponds cleansing cloth and take off my foundation with this. I don't use another cleanser after, this stuff does the trick!

I've tried other cleansers, but I always go back to this one! I think there is something in it that just calms your skin and makes it more consistent-looking. And it helps that my local Wal-Mart sometimes has it on sale as a 2-for-1 deal :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Honeycombe8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used Pond's cold cream/cleansing cream (whichever the store has at the time) to remove my mascara, and have for years. It works like magic w/o having to rub or work. Just a tiny bit of cream on tip of my finger, wisked lightly over my lashes, dip my finger in a bit of warm water, then flick wet fingers over lashes only (not the delicate eye skin), and voila, I have rings of black mascars all around my eyes. I gently remove with a wet washcloth. I don't use the cream for my face because I don't wear foundation, so use only Cetaphil to clean (I don't need a strong makeup remover, which is what this cream is).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 12:10:00 PM More reviews by NikFish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so anoyed that i didnt try this sooner! This stuff is amazing, it leaves my face so soft, i use i face cloth to wipe it off once i have left it on my skin for a few minutes, then rise with warm water. My skin has cleared up as well, i dont have any where near as many pimples as i did. Fantastic stuff, i would go as far to say its my HG.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and use retin-a at night and md forte products during the day. I have tried Ponds cold cream three times over the last 10 years and every time it has clogged my pores. Not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by theseahag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is a great make up remover and super cheap. I usually put a couple of fingers worth over my face, massage it in and leave it for a few minutes. I can't usually stand it being on my face longer than that because it starts to feel so greasy - but you can feel the make up literally melting off your face. Then I remove it using cotton pads, but I might start using muslin cloths and warm water when I can get some cloths next.

My skin does feel a little greasy after I've wiped it off, so I usually use a toner afterwards followed by a little moisturiser.

My skin feels really clean and looks glowing - highly recommended. A few people have complained about the scent but I actually really love the smell - just like roses.

I only wish they would change the packaging from a jar to a tube, I'm not too keen on having to dip my fingers in to get it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by rayzielase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I do not recommend using this on all your face if you're acne prone like me bc its too greasy....But its PERFECT for makeup removal especially the tough waterproof mascara!!! This is the best for mascara..it works wonderfully and way better than any eye makeup remover ive used!! Will definitely continue buying this!!!!!!!!!