April 20, 2014 | 1650 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Fascinate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For an oily skin girl, I actually love this foundation! I was so afraid of looking like an oil slick but when I actually saw myself in the mirror, it seemed like I had a nice natural glow. I apply this foundation with a stippling brush and it goes on beautifully. The downside is that there's no pump but I went ahead and bought the pump on the NARS website for $5, the foundation is already $42 to begin with so it should come with a pump!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by britt151

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Worst product ive ever tried period!! it didnt do anything but ruin my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2011 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Nemea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I quite like this foundation on my dryish, neutral skin (Dior 020, Kanebo 202/203, NC 20 is OK, but too yellow), but I think the name is a misnomer. It's not really sheer, rather medium buildable coverage, and where is the glow supposed to come from? To my eye, this foundation is quite matte, but not overly so. I find that if I apply it very lightly with my fingertips, the result is your skin, but better, so I'm quite happy with the results. But there are a few cons to it as well: The first one concerns the packaging without a pump. Why, oh why? Also, the cap is a bit weird as it doesn't shut tight in itself, but is rather designed in the same way as that of the nailpolish bottles from Dior or Chanel. Another con concerns the colour selection. The colours seem to run very yellow, and Deauville, which I chose, and which is supposed to be neutral, is still quite yellow. I suppose Mont Blanc is less yellow, but that is probably too light for me. But would I repurchase? I guess so, but then again, there are few foundations that I have actually repurchased, one exception being Dior Skin Nude, which is also not flawless (it oxidises and is a bit drying), but which is among the better ones out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Luckily I did not purchase the foundation shades that I tried due to the fact that Nordstrom has sample jars. So I was on a search for a good liquid department store foundation and since I use Nars loose powder in Beach (which I love) I thought I'd give the foundations a try. I hated them all I am tan around NC40-42ish Asian and Hispanic and NONE of them matched my undertones, Punjab is waay to peachy but right yellow tint, stromboli is way to olive not enough yellow makes me look green and Barcelona which could work if I get tan, but I avoid the sun like the plague so nope. Although the samples were generous I disliked all of them and the texture. I will stick to My Chanel liquid pro lumerie 30 cendre, Laura Mercier Vanilla Beige, IMAN sand 4, and my bobbi brown skin in shade 4.5 and my color custom lab blend (love it) discovered these shades along the process of shopping for department store foundations thank goodness for Nordstrom's samples or I would be stuck buying and returning a bunch of shades that I disliked.
edit: so I owe this foundation a apogolay. after I tried Punjab in direct sunlight it looks great on me, it's yellow enough nice coverage without being too thick. Will purchase full size.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

For reference I am an NC20 with golden/yellow toned, normal/combo sensitive skin. I have this foundation in the shade Light6 CEYLAN which is a perfect match for my skin. It is designed for light asian skintones but works amazing for my unordinarily light biracial skintone too. It blends into my jawline seamlessly, best match I've ever found with a foundation before. I would only recommend it for definate yellow toned people though...may be too yellow for most light skintones.

NARS Sheer Glow is designed for normal-dry skin types but I personally think this works best with skintypes similar to mine (normal with some oiliness on my nose). I see a lot of reviews from dry skinned ladies saying this accentuates dry flakes, and oily people saying it makes them greasy. I think those problems can be solved with a good moisturizer beforehand or an oil control primer/powder though. Anyway, it does work really well for my skintype - does not make my skin oil up throughout the day at all and doesn't accentuate any dry spots either.

The consistency is rather fluid but not overly liquid either. It is a very lightweight formula that feels like a second skin to me. I cannot feel any makeup on my face when I wear this at all. It glides onto my skin like butter, blends flawlessy and adheres so well to my skin, it looks incredibly natural. My skin but better. This is NOT designed to be a foundation that provides lots of coverage, I don't understand why people complain about that. It says it "blurs imperfections and evens skin tone for a finish that allows your skins natural beauty to shine through" and that is exactly what it does. It leaves my skin looking polished, not like I've slapped on the makeup. I have a very uneven skintone and redness in some places, but this foundation covers it beautifully with just a sheer layer. However, this foundation is rather buildable so I sometimes layer when I opt for more coverage. I do have some slight acne scarring on my chin and it covers that fine too.

The finish is a soft, semi-matte. My skin looks glowy but not in a dewy/shimmery/glittery/greasy sort of way...I think illuminated/radiant is the correct word to use, I love it. Everyone compliments me on what gorgeous skin I have when I wear this (I really don't naturally!) and ask what I do to keep it looking so clear.

Lasting power is good - holds up 9 hours no problem on me. Not the sort of foundation to go out clubbing in or anything though as it will fade the moment your stilettos hit the dance floor hehe. But for an everyday foundation or just going out for a meal and some drinks, it's perfectly acceptable and does not transfer or slide off. It's fragrance-free and supposedly non-comedogenic.

Also, this foundation claims to hydrate the skin and leave it soft and smooth. I personally think this claim is true as my skin never feels uncomfortable when I wear it, the radiance lasts all day, and my skin feels like velvet to the touch.

It's very pricey (almost 30) and doesn't even come with a pump which sucks. But the bottle does last me about 1 year with regular use and the way it makes my skin look makes it so worth it!

UPDATE: This foundation breaks my skin out in cystic acne with frequent use, so I can only use it on nights out :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by mi55teeeza

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was soooo sad when the oilfree foundation got discontinued! The shade St. Tropez matched me perfectly. Too bad for that! Thank God the sheer glow foundation works just as well and maybe even better. I think it gives me a healthier glow and the shade Stromboli is similar to St. Tropez. People comment on my skin whenever I wear this foundation and trust me...I am far from having perfect skin! If you have oily skin and want to try this foundation DO NOT BE AFRAID! I know that seeing the word "glow" would make you want to turn the opposite direction but honestly it does just that...makes you glow. I have the common oily T-zone area but I still love this stuff. The consistency is nice and gives at least medium to full coverage. I apply it with my Sephora Platinum brush #55 and then set it with my Laura Mercier translucent loose powder. Just use a kabuki brush and powder lightly then buff it in. I love this powder more than my Maybelline Dream Matte pressed powder. Packaging for loose powders are not the best but I don't mind. I love love love the #55 brush with this foundation. I tried it with the Sonia Kashuk stippling brush and I don't like it as much. Keep in mind that it's all about how you apply the make up that will influence the finish.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Juliamoore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with the previous comment I also tried 3 or 4 shades thinking it is a good fd for winter dehyd skin but I ended up looking either pale (Deiville) white or sallow-yellow (Fiji, Santa Fe). Had to return it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2011 3:34:00 AM More reviews by jadukdik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Looks very yellow on me. I tried 3 different colors and none of them worked. I don't know why people love it so much. Not worth the $$.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2011 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Natalya121

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this foundation for nearly 6 months. I have very oily skin (all over) that is prone to breakouts. This foundation has a wonderful texture that simply glides onto the skin, I use my fingers then a small makeup sponge to take off any excess. I have tried using a foundation brush and a mac 187 but have found for me that this method works best. I use it with a primer and a powder to set and it has lasted a 14 hour day which if your oily you will know is near impossible for a foundation. When this does start to make me slightly shiny, it is more of a glow than an actual shine. I use it without a moisturiser as the product is quite moisturising anyway. I use smashbox photo finish light, guerlain's primer (pearles) or sometimes Dior's crystal matte (very fine layer) to start, then I shake the foundation for at least a minute then apply to the back of my hand and work it in slightly to warm the product, I quickly apply with fingers all over and use a sponge to smooth out any that may have sunk into my large open pores (once it's blended it gives an almost poreless look) and I then use Shu Uemura's matte face poder to set as this is very finely milled. I use a bare minerals buffer brush to buff the powder into the skin (if it's a long day) so that it looks like there isn't any powder on my face at all. A blusher that really works with the texture of this foundation is Daniel Sandlers watercolour blusher in cherub.
Update, although I do still love this foundation my skin has gotten quite used to it and now after a few hours it has a tendancy to sit in my pores. Great winter foundation but avoid heat!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by blankdreams

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation!!! I have pretty problematic skin (frequent breakouts, discoloration, etc). I've got dry/normal skin with visible pores in some areas. This is actually more coverage than I expected. It doesn't cover some of the larger pimples I have or some of the veins that are a little bit visible (but what foundation will?? haha) but it covers everything else (discoloration, small pimples). I set it with maybelline dream matte powder and it gives a really nice finish. The powder doesn't completely mattify things and just makes it look very natural. As the day goes on it does get a bit more glowy and that may be a bit too much for some people but I quite like it. If you have any dry patches it WILL emphasize them so be sure to moisturize really well! I think for the price of $42 this should come with a pump (I believe you can buy them separately for like $6) but oh well. This is the best foundation I've tried so far (I've tried neutrogena skin clearing, revlon color stay, make forever matte velvet, and smashbox) and I would def repurchase!!