Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/18/2005 11:43:00 AM

I recieved my MEGA bottle of Chanel parfum yesterday from my favorite man other than my husband-the UPS guy!I have enjoyed this fragrance from some of my very early memories as my kindergarten teacher,Mrs.Monk wore this. I loved her and would kiss her on the cheek each day before I got on the bus to go home. These were some of my most fond memories as a child. I'm afraid that Chanel #5 will always be attached to that wonderful kindergarten teacher. I will say that the opening of this fragrance is full of a chemical mess also known as aldehydes. This quickly subsides to a melange of floral notes of the white variety.Is this old-fashioned?YUP. Do I think old-fashioned is beautiful in its own right?YUP. If old fashioned nostalgic perfumes are something you enjoy and all its nostalgic reputation, then this will be for you.

on 11/10/2005 7:51:00 PM

I will never understand what all of the hoopla is about this perfume. I think because of the name Chanel, it tricks you into thinking that it smells fabulous. This is one of the worst fragrances there is. Accidently dropped a bottle on my bathroom floor and my upstairs smelled for days. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I may just be too young to get the greatness of this perfume (I'm 22), but it smells like wretchedly harsh "old lady" perfume to me. You know, that really nasty "perfume"-smelling perfume? In fact, all of the Chanel fragances seem to smell like that to one degree or another. Great clothes, horrible perfumes. I don't get it.

on 11/5/2005 1:11:00 PM

I thought that aldehydes were not for me, but discovered that I can wear them with Chanel no. 5 EDT. I need to stress that on me, the EDT formulation is vastly superior to the EDP and even the parfum. It is fresher, lighter, and has a bit more sparkle to it, whereas the EDP and parfum can become a bit too powdery for my taste.

No. 5 smells nostalgic, sexy, complex and comforting all at the same time. I love to spritz it on while watching a BBC drama series or right before going to bed. It's a classic, and while it may not work on everyone, every woman should at least try it and see how it makes her feel. continued >>

on 11/1/2005 7:59:00 PM

No. 5, How I wish you liked me.

I have had a fascination (bordering on obsession)with No. 5 since I was in college and have bought and swapped away or thrown out (eek) more bottles of than I can count. I absolutely, positively love this sniffing from the bottle and I love the way it smells on others. After have trying relentlessly on and off for years to make this "mine" I have given up. Unfortunatley, it goes flat and sour on me. A colleague wears it and it is the most beautifully elegant soft sexy skinscent on her. I will always appreciate the beauty of this fragrance and understand why it is a classic. I will also keep a bottle around to sniff every once in a while.

on 11/1/2005 7:11:00 PM

I really love Coco, but I don't like No. 5. It's a harsh, unpleasant chemical smell to me. However, the Sensual Elixir is nice.

on 10/27/2005 11:41:00 PM

I bought myself a small bottle of dab-on chanel 5 when I was in my twenties, in a 'right of passage' kind of way...

I hated it. I tipped it all into a bubble-bath one night just to use it up & for the hell of it.

I've matured now (!)

Could it be time to try it again? ...I think so.

There's a reason some scents are classics.

What can be said that hasn't already about this classic? I adore its powdery, sultry, feminine appeal. I love its history and the house from whence (yes, whence)it came. I also love the elixir...a softer version for those who don't dare...

on 10/17/2005 5:30:00 PM

Chanel No. 5 was so wonderful on my mother's friend, a very stylish, classy, elegant lady who wore it for years as her signature fragrance. It was subtle, soft-powdery, very discreet yet always present fragrance on her. Very fine, chic, sophisticated, 'intelectual' but still sensual enough, soft and close to the skin... "A quiet elegance"... I don't know, it seems that I haven't liked it so much on anyone else, including me, or especially on me.
I have never been very fond of Chanel No.5 but I understand what is all the hype about. It is an interesting and special, well composed fragrance. But I'm not the type for it. It is somehow too serious, dark woodsy, too somber and melancholic on me, probably more formal than I like. I had 3 or 4 bottles of it in my life (mostly presents) but I stopped wearing it in late 80's... I've just never really loved it. The most interesting thing of all is that this is probably the perfume I got the most compliments on - by women!!!
I prefer EDT which is much softer - EDP is too heavy and quite harsh-sharp-spicy.
Another woman I know who has been Chanel No.5 fan for years told me last year that she suspected EDT was reformulated and that "it is not today what it used to be". Well, as I wrote in my previous review, I suspect the same for Coco. Is it a true or not, I can't say. Chanel would certanly not admit that. Maybe just our tastes are changing...who knows.

Popular Fragrances