October 2, 2014 | 972 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 6:18:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not real sure what else I can add that hasn't been said already, but since I never got Naked 1 and don't intend to now, my take on this is as a newbie to this series starting with 2. Maybe this will help those who aren't sure whether they need both or not, like me prior to actually getting my hands on it. UD ships faster than I remembered, coming from FL to CA in two days via Priority Mail.

I won't rehash the shades as they've been done to death, except to add that there was not nearly as much glitter/sparkle in this as I've come to associate with UD in the past, which is better for those of us who have outgrown that to some degree but don't want to be totally boring. There is still plenty of shimmer here to spice things up, and a few mattes to mix it up as well; one perfect as a liner, one as a highlighter/base shade and one more that falls between the two of those. I like all the shades and can see a use for each and every one of them in various combinations and just looking at the silly thing makes me happy :) They are all plenty pigmented enough for me, and feel like buttah where they apply and blend like a dream. I like the brush too, both ends of it are very useful, soft enough for my needs yet still firm enough to pick up the shadows with ease. I've gone from yes, 'naked' and natural looks with this to full-on smoky eye all in one palette, and I love that. Lasting power is great, especially with a good primer underneath like UDPP, NARS, or MAC Paint Pots or Paints.

The case is fantastic. I love that the tin snaps shut and it is indeed sturdy - it got knocked off my dressing table by accident (about 2 ft before it landed on my chair which is not cushioned) the same day I got it and I freaked out, only to open and discover that nothing broke, thank goodness because I would have cried my eyes out. (I've been a lot more careful with it since then, needless to say!) The bonus gloss is nice too, sheer, shiny and minty, but not overly so, with an nice neutral-pinky tone to it. I'm glad it came with that instead of the UDPP because I can't wear the Original due to allergies, but I have and use the Sin UDPP with this palette which looks really nice and doesn't irritate my lids like the Original. The gloss is on the thin side and not sticky so it doesn't last terribly long for that reason, which is okay. Reapplying won't kill me. Adorable little tube too; easy to keep in a pocket or small bag to carry around which makes me kind of wish they all were available in this size now. The GWP travel size El Dorado 24/7 liner that I got with this from UD's site is pretty nice too, gotta say. It goes well with this as a warm inner-corner highlight shade, but is otherwise too light for me to wear as a liner by itself. Still, can't look a gift liner in the mouth now, can we? :)

I guess my overall take on this is that if you never got the first one you might not need or want to if you get this. I have no desire to myself. Out of the two, which I did extensive research on before buying by viewing swatches, looking at #1 IRL, reading reviews on both, etc., I am very happy I got this and even more thrilled I manged to snag it the first day it came out. That kind of luck NEVER happens to me so I'm just tickled to death about this set. Before this the only real 'naked' palette I had was NYX Champagne and Caviar, which I put side by side and took a pic to compare (in profile & I'll upload here as well -please ignore the blurry shot and fingerprints on the mirrors! I did not know it was going to be so huge of a pic but I'll leave it up anyway.). While that one is pretty good, I like the UD more. There are more shades to play with that all look different unlike the NYX, and they are much softer and easier to pick up, hence easier for me to blend than the NYX. Plus it comes with a brush and the case is made to travel so it's all I need. Not to say the NYX is not good for what it is and the price, but this is better. Then again I expected it to be as UD are known for their e/s. I don't think I've bought a UD set since the old Face Cases (yes, that's how long ago it was and how old I am, lol!) because they usually include uber-bright shades I won't use, the original UDPP I can't use, and/or too much glitter. This is none of those so waiting for this was worth it, and has earned itself the top spot in my makeup rotation which I don't see changing for some time. Based on the price for all you get: the amount of e/s in here, a nice brush, and a gloss, $50 is more than fair as this would be over $200 for all of these individually.

Kinda makes me wonder if I should have gotten N1, now....

9 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by egarrett2011

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Despite my vast collection of Urban Decay Palettes, I proceeded to buy Naked 2 the first day it was released to the general public. And while I do like this palette so far, it had the potential to be a lot better. This palette definitely has some cooler toned shadows, but not as many as I was hoping. In fact, the first five shadows are warm toned. There are a lot of dupes for the second palette in the original Naked. For example, when swatched, "Hustle" and "Busted" are nearly identical, with "Hustle" being almost just a *smidge* lighter. "Virgin" and "Bootycall" are also spitting images for eachother. Oh, and did I mention that "Half Baked" is in both palettes? That is probably what irks me the most. However! I really am glad I bought this palette, because the second half performs so well and the shades are gorgeous, (not to say that the first half isn't good.) "Blackout" is probably the most pigmented, deepest matte black you will ever come across. Works incredibly as a liner. "Pistol" and "Verve" are great too, probably my favorites along with "Blackout". All of the shades are up to Urban Decay standards, except for one.I am a bit disappointed with "Tease". It looks so gorgeous in the palette, but it is chalky, poorly pigmented, and doesn't blend so well. Ah well, you can't win 'em all. Urban Decay's mattes just don't seem to be up to par with the rest of their shadows, Except for "Blackout" that is. The brush is really nice; I especially love the blending side. It picks up just enough pigment and works wonderfully. I prefer the packaging of Naked 2 over the original. I imagine it will stay nicer longer and just looks prettier. Despite some negatives, I really do love this palette. I would definitely choose it over the original if I had to pick. If Urban Decay decides to make a Naked 3, they need to have more cool tones and better performing mattes. I'd buy that! (Who am I kidding, I'd probably buy it if it was exactly the same as 1 or 2 :D) Happy Shadowing!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by vesper369

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I completely agree with Malloryanne on this palette regarding it being better for women past their 20s. I am 35, and loved UD when they first came out when I was in college. I loved the finishes of their eyeshadows back then, but in recent years their metallic shades have had too much of a "foiled" finish for my taste. I was psyched to try the Naked palette last year because I loved the colors, but I am a SAHM and I just couldn't pull off the heavily foiled finish of those colors. My favorite color in the Naked palette was Toasted, but I returned the palette because it wasn't right for my everyday "natural" look.

I think that the colors and finishes of the shadows in the Naked 2 palette are a lot more subtle - except for Chopper & the matte shades, the finish is more of a shimmery pearl, rather than a metallic foil.

Half Baked was one of my least favorite colors in Naked 1, so I wish that they had recycled Toasted or Buck for Naked 2 instead, but oh well. My favorite colors in this palette are Suspect (shimmery taupe) and Tease (matte mauve).

All in all, this is still not the "perfect" nudes palette for me, but the colors are pretty and unique and I most likely will end up keeping this one.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I also love the "Naked" Lip Gloss that came with this palette. I prefer getting the gloss to shadow primer which I never use.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by almostcosmic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So like you, I wanted to know, how do the Naked and Naked 2 palette compare? How similar are they. Well, fairly similar, but not at all identical. First, both palettes have a nice assortment of neutrals. However, I find the Naked palette tends to have a few more dark shades. Darkhorse, Creep,Gunmetal and even Smog are very intense dark shades. In the Naked 2 palette there are really only two really dark shades Blackout (super black) and Busted (dupe for Hustle).

Where I found this palette really stood apart from the first was in the color tones and finishes. I prefer the matte shades in this palette. The mattes in Naked, I thought, were too orangey and golden. I did not care for Buck or Naked for this reason. The Naked 2 palette gives us Foxy, Bootycall (subtle shimmer, think Sin, less pink) and Tease. Tease has a rosy undertone that Buck lacked and Foxy is the perfect neutral highlight color.

For swatch comparisons I recommend the blog Lipglossing. I found her swatches and comparisons more in line with what I saw in person. Even more so then Temptalia, who is usually the source for the best swatches.

I have no opinion on the brush, it looks fine, it will be good for travel or entry level beauty enthusiasts. But I have my favorite brushes and this will not replace any of them. Plus being dual ended makes it harder to store with my other brushes. I personally would have preferred another dual eyeliner, like launched with the original Naked palette.

So, ultimately what we all ask ourselves is, "Do we need both?" If you have only a passing interest in neutrals, no, you don't need both. Although if you have neither, I think Naked 2 is the stronger palette to buy. If you are a fan of neutrals, if you dream in taupe, then the answer is yes....you need this palette and really, be honest with yourself...you KNOW you are going to buy it anyway.

57 out of 58 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by swtladyy

I just got this today and this review is just based off of my initial impressions. The shadows are buttery as I have come to expect from Urban Decay. They were all very pigmented and very easy to swatch, with the exception of Tease, which didn't swatch as easily as the rest, but it was still good. Pistol and Verve were amazing! I wish that Half-Baked wasn't in the palette, I mean that was already in the first one, although it is one of my favorite gold shadow. The packaging seems more sturdy than the previous palette. The gloss was okay, and I actually do like the double-ended brush it came with. I already had the flat stiff brush from the first palette, but the crease/blending brush was a nice addition. I probably could have waited for the next release of this palette instead of jumping the gun and buying it asap, but I was afraid I would be waiting forever to get my hands on it just like I did with the first palette. Overall, I think this is a lovely palette, great if you love neutrals. It's good on it's own if you didn't get the first one, but for those of us who are addicted, having both isn't so bad either =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by thatsMoneyHoney

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This kit has a shade selection that I wanted the first one to have. It's more comparable to Too Faced's Naked kit now as far as the colors go. The shadows are smooth and pigmented and are nice for everyday and natural looks. It is more pigmented then Too Faced's for sure. I like the packaging better then the first palette also. If you bought the first version and thought it was too warm toned then you should give naked 2 a try. I think it's more suitable for all skin tones now.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2011 7:13:00 PM More reviews by superwoman22

Total disappointment. Please y'all see it in person first. The colors may appear to be beautiful but the color payoff is HORRIBLE. I swatched them on my fingers and was pleased, but the eyeshadows (minus the black one) do not transfer well from the pan to the brush to the eye.

The only thing preventing this from receiving 1 star is the packaging.

I will be returning my palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Cloudykat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Most of the colors have the high quality that I, personally, have come to expect from Urban Decay. There are a few colors with fallout, but for me..the fallout was not as extreme as other colors I've had from this brand. I think whether or not you like this palette depends on your personal style.

I don't know that I would buy this palette if I'd swatched in stores. It's not that the colors are too similar, it's that I don't think it's a stand alone palette. While using this palette, I found myself reaching for other colors to complete a look and that's not something I had to do with the first Naked palette.

The case is absolutely amazing. I don't think there would be any trouble carrying this baby around with this sturdy case. I didn't have issues with Naked 1's case, but admit I'm afraid to take it on the go ha ha.

I think I may have jumped the gun by buying this online instead of in stores. I think it's a beautifully constructed palette, but I'm still not sure it's for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2011 12:55:00 PM More reviews by malloryanne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

so i got caught up in all the hype and purchased this badboy i have recieved it and now own both palettes. the packaging is more managable as it is like tin, reminds me of an old tin pencil case i used to own.. therefore its much more convinient to travel with me.
i look at this palette as the shy older sister of the first palette as there is more matte and light colors which great for truely everyday use and better for older people as the fist has more shimmer colors which on an older person can make them looked more aged. urban decay completed the void with the extra matte colors as because that was what the first one was missing..
now i have divided my palettes, the first one for my going out on the town look and the second for day to day look
if you have neither palettes and are debating between the 2 it depends who you are to find out which is best suited for you. if youre young and have a flashy style or always go out to clubs or fancy places the first one is for you .
if youre older and need a true day to day fresh faced look the 2nd is for you

18 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by 1017

UPDATE: The way everyone else seemed to feel about the original, is the way I feel about this one (sans the insanity, but loaded with satisfaction).

Verve & Pistol are my two new faves, getting a lot of action in this wintery time. But even the so called "dupes" for some of the other shades in Naked 1 have much better undertones for my NW20 complexion than the original (no reddish brown undertones here). Also, this palette has at least 3 great highlight shades that really work on my complexion, unlike Naked 1 that just had that first shadow in the row (Virgin) I could use as a highlight but it looked wrong on my complexion. I feel like a giddy little school girl every time I open this thing up.

P.S - I actually sold my Naked 1 to my friend who is NC20, which is a perfect fit for her. Naked 2 is perfect for me. She is a makeup artist and we were just starring at the palettes noticing how strongly Naked 1 skewed her direction and how strongly Naked 2 skewed mine.

ORIGINAL POST: I have not delved into all the colors fully, but at first glance/play this is much better suited for my NW20 complexion (Black/brown hair, brown eyes) than the first. Many of the colors on the first seemed to muddy up on me (all the ones from the middle to the right). I really could only use about 3 of the colors successfully in the first. These colors (in Naked 2) seem to fit my style / look better. This palette feels less like the shades muddy together to turn a brown color like the first palette would tend to do on me. Yes, still Urban Decay shadows and all that comes with it (good and bad), but bottom line, if you felt like the first Naked was "off" for you, this may be what you wanted.

As for the packaging, way better! No messy velvet to get all dusty and gross. Naked 2 is a hard palette that snaps shut! This bad boy is ready to travel. The two-headed brush is not the best, but will do the job. I know many have scoffed at this one, but for me, this is a much better fit than the first.

30 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No