Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

3.9

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 6% Titanium dioxide 5.6% Inactive ingredients: Aqua, Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Aluminum hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Magnesium sulfate, Parfum, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Water, Methylparaben, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipropylene glycol, Polyurethane, BHT, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77891, Mica

on 7/15/2011 1:33:00 AM

I'd been happily using Becca LSC for about 8 months when I decided that it was time for something new. Although I loved my Becca, there was always that lingering sensation that it was just a little too "sticky" for my liking. After scoping out all the latest in bases, I found my new barely there foundation with light to medium coverage and matte finish in Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua shade B20 Beige Tendre. I've previously used Chanel foundations with variable results, the best being Teint Innocence which is now sadly discontinued. But Vitalumiere Aqua is infinitely superior. It is super duper easy to apply with brush or fingers, leaves a beautifully soft and glowy finish to the skin and stays on all day! I've been using this for a month with no issues regarding breaking out or flaking. However, two things I do not like about this product are (1) the packaging, you need to shake the bottle REALLY HARD to emulsify the foundation before squeezing REALLY HARD to get it out and (2) the price, $77AUD is pretty steep but its definitely worth it in the end.

on 7/12/2011 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I finally succumbed to all the hype and purchased this foundation at Myers in Australia for the full price of AUD77!!!

I thought I had found my HG foundation years ago in Chanel's Matt Lumiere. Back then I had oily skin which was prone to breakouts. The Matt Lumiere does an excellent job of evening out my skin tone and also concealing my freckles. And it does it without me having to feel like I have foundation all over my skin which is fab!

And then I tried the Vitalumiere Aqua and hello!!!

This little baby is not only packaged well (love the teeny, tiny, chic bottle!) but has a fabulous smell which my Matt Lumiere does not. Every time I apply it (with fingers), the smell evokes memories of my Mummy and how I would watch her apply her makeup when I was a child. The smell doesn't last all day which is also fine by me.

The formula is as sheer as anything and goes on so smoothy! I am currently on Roaacutane and have dry skin now but this foundation doesn't emphasise any dry lines. It's VERY lightweight so for those used to heavy foundations may find it a bit too sheer but I love it!

I set it with Chanel's Translucent Powder but you hardly need to do that either.

I love it so much that I will put on my makeup even though I have no where to go!! :):)

Try it ladies, you'll love it :):)

on 7/12/2011 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is the only make up product I have ever used that looks better at the end of the day than in the beginning. There's something about this foundation that works with your skin rather than against it, however there are days when this does not cut it for me.

As many others have said, coverage is one notch above a tinted moisturiser; it will be good enough to cover redness but concealer will be required for blemishes. This product is supposed to be buildable but the most widely available colour range (Beige) is extremely yellow toned - personally I can't even get medium coverage out of it without looking a bit jaundiced. However, a thin layer of shade B10 blends into my neutral pale skin almost effortlessly and sets within seconds; in fact I almost get annoyed at how quickly it seamlessly blends and settles into my skin!

In the morning when I have first applied this, it almost looks like I am barefaced. The finish is normal skin texture. After concealer I apply complexion enhancer, blush and then finish off with Guerlain Meterorites. As the day wears on the foundation seems to absorb the other products so they too look totally seamless. Far from disappearing, my skin looks more perfected as the hours go by and, though the coverage from this foundation is minimal to begin with, it stays put really well - better than heavier duty foundations like LM Silk Creme and with far less oxidation compared to DiorSkin Nude. I have normal to mildly dry skin and this does not make my dry areas worse. When I do get oily or sweaty this doesn't seem to budge or melt on my skin.

I rate this foundation five stars overall because it is exceptionally good for what it is - a light coverage base, great for building upon with other products but not so wonderful for traditional foundation tasks like masking flaws or improving texture.

on 7/10/2011 2:22:00 PM

I don't know what to say to do this foundation justice! I have finally found my HG foundation. I literally melts into the skin with such ease, leaving behind even-toned, beautiful skin without looking like I have any makeup on. I have been using this for about a month now, and since I bought it I haven't been able to wear any of my other foundations becase they feel too heavy and look so cakey by comparison. Usually I'll use 2-3 different foundations during the week, depending on how I feel that day, but since VL Aqua I haven't touched any of them. This foundation has surprisingly good coverage and wear time considering how light and watery it is. Some people have objected to the smell. Personally, I really like it - it smells sort of floral and fresh. I do set this with a powder (Mac MSFN) down my T-zone and my combo skin remains pretty shine-free throughout the day. I usualy touch up with powder after work if I'm going somewhere, but aside from that it's pretty low-maintenance. The only bad things I can think of to say are the price and the fact that the little ball inside the bottle to shake it up always gets stuck in the neck and blocks the foundation coming out. But I can live with that! I am prepared to pay the price considering I won't be shelling out to try other new foundations anymore. I still really like Diorskin Nude foundation for evening times or when I want a bit of heavier coverage, but as far as an everyday foundation goes, VL Aqua all the way!

on 7/10/2011 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this fd after using the vitalumiere and I think this fd is much better. The coverage of this fd is better, allthough it is still not the fd I am looking for. One thing I do find strange, is that with the vitalumiere and the vitalumiere aqua, I have the same nr but the colour is not the same! The vitalumiere is way to orange for me, but the same nr with the aqua is perfect for me in the winter. So do trie it before you buy the same nr you always use, because it can be a different colour. Other then that I was pretty happy with this one, but for days I want to cover up a little bit more, this fd is just not it for me.

on 7/8/2011 12:51:00 PM

I love almost everything about Chanel VA, and it's a very low-maintenance foundation to boot.
Formula & finish: VA has a very lightweight, thin, water-based formula -- you must shake it before use! It is oil-free and contains SPF 15, although it is fragranced (with a lovely scent, I might add). It has a natural finish, not overly dewy but certainly not flat matte. I do set with powder, and it lasts reasonably well throughout the day, even on my oily skin. It has not clogged my pores or broken me out at all and it feels like there's nothing on my skin.
Coverage: VA is a light coverage foundation that can be built up to medium coverage without looking cakey. It easily covers any redness or mild unevenness in my skin tone, although if you have any more prominent imperfections, you will still need to spot conceal.
Packaging, price, etc: The packaging is plastic, which makes it functional and good for travel but not very luxurious. It is also expensive, like all things Chanel. However, as I love the formula and it agrees with my skin, I would repurchase!

on 7/7/2011 5:11:00 PM

I love this foundation! I tried this out at the Chanel counter at my local Nordstrom after hearing so many rave reviews on youtube. The SA matched me to B20 and B30, I ended up with the B20 because I thought it gave a more brightening effect whereas the B30 gave me a more tanned look. I am an NC20-25 in MAC terms. The texture is rather strange since the water separates from the foundation, you MUST shake well before use or you'll end up with a big watery mess on your hand. The Vitalumiere Aqua gives me light to medium coverage, the makeup is undetectable. It just looks like you've laid a perfect veil of skin over your own. One nickel size does my whole face, I use an additional layer to achieve medium coverage. The finish is very natural, not too matte or dewey, once again, it looks like skin. I do powder my whole face with a thin layer of translucent powder to help it stay because it is not a long wearing foundation, it lasts about 6 hours. Overall, I love the effect it gives and I will repurchase.

I tried this at a Chanel "event" at Macy's, one where they bring in a makeup artist. Some other makeup people told me my skin looked beautiful, but I wasn't sure if they were just trying to help sell makeup or if they meant it.
But I finally caved! I went back a few days later for it, and I am glad. I get lots of compliments on my skin when I wear it. In fact, when I went to the Laura Mercier counter to get some blotter powder, the lady there suggested I not get anything with color because I had such nice skin, it would be a shame to cover it up! I had on the makeup at the time, though, so I think it just looked like nice skin! :-)

This makeup is water-resistant, I believe, but it unfortunately can not stand up to all the ladylike perspiring that I do! I don't think anything could though, so I just save it for less hot days.

on 7/7/2011 12:54:00 PM

I fell for the hype of this foundation. Well actually I went to the Chanel counter after falling for the hype of the mat lumiere foundation, but the MA recommended this one for me. I have combination skin with an oily T-Zone.
I am pretty fair NW15-20, but she recommended the B20. I got home put it on and almost cried because when I put it on it looked so much darker than my skin. I thought this was going to be another foundation put on my shelf of 'too lazy to return because the shade is wrong'. And it would be an expensive mistake. But I blended the foundation over my face and was surprised to see that it actually blended into my skin colour really well. I wore it for the day and it didn't oxidize at all and made me look much more even.
I use my fingers to apply the product, and shake it REALLY well. Shake it, shake it and when you're done shaking it, shake it a bit more.
I put down that I would buy it again, and technically I would. I find that the product is good, it does cover well and isn't masky. It has the Chanel fragrance which I would prefer it didn't have, but I'm not put off by it. So yes it works for me, but I just think that I'm too much of a foundation junkie not to stray. Although I haven't bought a new foundation since this purchase, its not to say I wouldn't.
Another note is that it is SPF15. Funny though in Canada they can't market it with the SPF so they have a little sticker covering the bottle where it says SPF15. I use a SPF 30 moisturiser, but its nice having the little extra coverage.
Update: I love love love the finish of this product BUT I just don't think my skin can handle the amount of alcohol in this. I could look past the fragrance but I can't wear this foundation everyday and not get bumps. So sad, because it really is fabulous in every other way.

on 7/5/2011 2:37:00 AM

I have been using this for about 2 months now and it is the BEST foundation I have used by far. I have combination skin and I have never been able to find a liquid foundation that will hold up on my oily tzone which is why I switched over to powder foundations for almost a year.... until this came out. I was skeptical at first, I had to have the people at the Chanel counter apply it on me TWICE before I purchased it.

I love it so much. It holds up so well on my oily tzone, when usually it would get oily after an hour and I would have to blot. This holds up to about 5-6 hours before its necessary for me to blot. Keep in mind, I do use the Urban De-Slick spray + MAC Prep and Prime face visage w/ SPF 50. Then again, I did this previously with my other foundations and never did it stay oil-free for so long. It evens out my skin like a dream. I have just a few acne scars and some redness but just a little bit of this and my skin is even. I would say it has light-medium coverage. It feels SO LIGHT on the skin which I like because another reason why I switched over to powder is because of how heavy liquid foundation felt. This is super light and it feels like nothing on the skin yet it has decent coverage. It also has not broken me out.

I apply this with a beauty blender and it applies like a DREAM. I find that apply it with your hands and brush just doesnt give the same results. It has a cream like consistency and I use about a pea size amount and that usually covers my face. It does have a slight scent to it but its not overwhelming, its a floral scent. It is 48 bucks CAD but it is the cheapest Chanel foundation and its way cheaper than cult favourites like Nars sheer glow, which I own and it doesnt work as well.

I think this is great for all skin types and it is just as amazing as everyone claims it is.