August 1, 2014 | 1336 users online

Liquid - MAC - Pro Longwear Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by mego

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am in love! FOR REALZ! I have been using MUFE HD for about the last year. I've been dealing with some bouts of cystic acne and thought I should switch up my foundation and some of my products a bit. In about June, the SA at the MAC counter tried the Studio Fix Fluid on me and it just looked terrible - like she didn't know how to put on foundation. It was totally streaky, and didn't get much better when I blended it myself. I wasn't really impressed with their foundations (although I've used the Studio Fix powder before and loved it when I was using it with a tinted moisturizer) and I really wanted a liquid foundation with buildable coverage. I gave up and went back to Sephora and bought another MUFE HD. Come last week, I really was itching for a new foundation to combat the acne. I read about the Pro Longwear, and by golly it's amazing! The SA put it on one side of my face and the SF Fluid on the other and the difference was incredible. I bought it in NC15 (normally I wear NC/NW 20) and I love the pigment. It is the right amount of golden/yellow to balance out my pinkness, yet still matches the rest of my body. A note like other reviewers said - it does run a little darker than the other MAC foundations. I apply it with the MAC 187 brush and then buff it even more with a small kabuki brush. Holy crap it looks amazing. I look airbrushed. Furthermore, it feels super light and doesn't transfer onto anything or anyone!

I apply it in layers like this (after I moisturize and prime):
- layer of foundation (2 pumps) with the 187
- buff with kabuki brush
- apply concealer over blemishes and under eyes
- apply one more layer of foundation (1 pump) with the 187
- buff with kabuki brush
- conceal the stubborn spots one more time and blend well
- set with a small amount loose powder. I use the Eco Tools bamboo bronzer brush and I blend blend blend!
- buff again with the kabuki brush (if needed)

It sounds like a lot of steps and overly complicated, but it really isn't. I just noticed that I get the best results when I buff and blend. It has settled/caked a teeny bit when I do not. This technique has given me the most amazing looking complexion.

I teach and direct high school theatre, so I am not a stranger to 14 hour days. Last week was show week -- I still looked awesome at 10:30 at night after applying it at 6:30 that morning. Every single day.

I'm sold!!! Oh, and I don't have any cystic acne spots since I've started using it, by the way. Hallelujah!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by yhpark0706

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation! i love how it has a natural finish, and its pretty easy to blend. also, it last seriously, ALL DAY LONG! i definetely recommend it to everyone!! i never liked mac foundations (like the studio foundation) because it always broke me out. but this foundation doesnt break me out at all! :) at least give it a try. you can always return it if you don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 6:01:00 AM More reviews by Leenamat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I own a million foundations from every brand possible - just one of those things when you live in a cosmo place like Dubai, I guess where both European and American brands - even Asian are easily available. I am an NC 40 in Mac but dont think all that much about Mac foundations as they break me out. Currently my fav foundation is MUFE HD and so it was with some trepidation that I ventured to try out Pro Longwear manily coz of all the good reviews and boy am I glad I tried it! I bought NC 42 which is a darn good match and I have been using it for 2 weeks straight now and no breakouts yet (other MAC foundations break me out). Tis practically lasts all day and even survived an open sea trip out in warm Oman that lasted from 6 am to 6 pm!. Full coverage and I apply it with my MAC 187 brush after applying my moisturizer and primer. Goes on like a dream. I love it and strongly recommend it. It photographs like a dream too esp outdoor shot! A must-have in ur makeup kit!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2010 3:25:00 AM More reviews by tawniethetiger

so before this i used stila one-step which was good but overly priced, too thick (i needed to mix with my moisturizer), and i had to buy a lighter shade because it oxidized a pretty good amount. so after i finished that, i was looking for a new foundation and was reading reviews on tons of different foundations and i read nothing but good things on mac pro longwear so i decided to try it out. i LOVE it. im pretty oily...especially through my t-zone but my cheeks are pretty darn dry. this doesnt dry out my cheeks at all but it does a good job at keeping my tzone shine free. i only see a tiny bit of shine on my nose after almost an entire day at work...and i dont even need to touch up...with a clean hand, i very softly run my finger over my nose and it takes the oil right off my face. i dont know why that works for me but it does. as with many mac products...youre gonna have a hard time matching your face. i shoulda gone to a mac store so that a pro could help me but instead i went to a counter. the first girl that helped me said that i would be an nc35 or nc40. i wear an nc25 in my sheer pressed so i thought that was insane so i asked someone else and she said i looked like an nc25 or an nc30. she matched me up and i was an nc25. so that first girl was crazy...that always happens...someone is way off and you end up buying a color that doesnt match you at all. sheesh. ANYWAYS...AMAZING!! i love love love it. i will buy it again for sure. its great for oily skin and it really does what it says...its LONG WEAR!!

Edit: this is still my favorite foundation and I've bought it over and over again but WHY must it have SPF?! You get such a white cast with flash photography, even though its a very low SPF. It drives me crazy. Perhaps the only minus about this foundation, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by melzie2121

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow, I am really impressed with this product. Lasts all day even on my very oily skin. I've been using it a few weeks now and no break outs (will update if I do get any).

The packaging is definitely a win, too. the pump (included) looks just like the one on Fix +, but it's a pump vs a spray obviously. It's controllable so there's not a huge glob of product (Pro Longwear Concealer- I'm looking at you on that one. Horrible pump on that one) and it locks in place for travel.

Very nice. I see myself buying this as a summer foundation so I can keep using my beloved Mineralize Cream foundation in the winter. MAC has really knocked it out of the park with their foundations recently.

I'm NC20 and the NC20 in this matches perfectly- I see a lot of people saying they have color match issues, but that wasn't the case for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Jotten

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OMG, I totally HATE this foundation! At first when I bought it, I was really happy, because it is so flattering, it blends well and the colour was perfect to me, but after one or two days using it, when I woke up there were 21 pimples on my face! 21!!! I just wanted to scream. I mean, I got this foundation on october and we are like at the end of november and the pimples are still on my face. As a acne prone skin makeup addicted, I give this foundation 1 lippie, however (yes I must tell you the good news), if you only have oily or combination skin, you will love it, because it stays perfect for the whole day, you may only need to blot once or twice, it doesn't turn orange,or pink. I hope my review was helpfull.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2010 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Andalucian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was a bit hesitant to try this for fear of breakouts, but after struggling for quite a while to find a foundation that's long-wearing (and hard-wearing - my makeup generally needs to endure a lot!) and still has a finish I like, I finally gave in and ordered a bottle. Illuminare Ultimate All Day and EL DW are great in terms of durability and stamina, but I haven't been completely in love with the finish on my skin.

The good news - I do like the finish of MAC's PLW better. It seems to give me a softer look than the other two, and it definitely lasts on me all day, even through sweat, rain, wind, and wiping dust from my face. It doesn't seem to stay quite as matte as my Illuminare or EL DW, but I can deal with that; I imagine it's the price I'll need to pay for the less-dry finish.

The bad news - I really do wish MAC offered this in NW15. I'm generally more of an NW20, even bordering on NW25 in the summer, but the NW20 PLW is really a bit too dark on me. It also seems to have almost an orange-ish hue. It blends well, and I could get away with wearing it, but I found it worked better for me once I mixed in a couple of samples of Face Atelier's Zero Minus in. I was fortunate in that mixing in the FA gave the foundation a somewhat smoother texture, so that was an added bonus... though it perhaps makes this review just a bit unfair. I'm wondering if mixing the FA with my EL DW would likewise improve the texture and finish in a foundation with a better color match for me.

Overall, though, this does do what it's intended to do - it gives a matte finish, and coverage lasts all day. I'm also grateful that it comes in a sturdy clear glass bottle with a pump built into the cap, as it's easy to use (and likely travel friendly, as the pump rotates clearly and easily into a "locked" position if necessary).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Merina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If you're looking for a foundation that stays put ALL day long, then this is for you. On the website it says that it's sheer to moderate, but I'd say it's more moderate to full coverage. It covers up skin imperfections well and keeps the shine away. I only had to blot with blot power once. At the end of the day the foundation wasn't as fresh as it was when I first put it on but it sticks around much better than other foundations I've used. Studio Fix Fluid used to be my HG liquid foundation, but this has replaced it! :) I wear NC40 and I have medium golden tan skin. $29.50 is the price but that's pretty standard for high end foundations nowadays.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by drfinestgrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Finally a MAC foundation that does not break me out! I always tried to stay away from MAC foundations ever since I tried the Studio Fix Fluid. I broke out so bad that it traumatized me from trying any MAC foundations again. But as soon as I heard about this new one, I just felt like I had to have it. I went ahead and purchased it in the shade NC25 and what do you know? Perfect match! I have light skin with lots of yellow undertones and I am super happy that this pro longwear foundation seems to contain lots of yellow undertones to it. Seeing as most MAC foundations can run a bit on the orange side. I love the packaging-the pump bottle is genius and it lets you dispoense the perfect amount of product everytime. I also like the addition of the SPF 10 in it as well :)

I apply this foundation with a long handled Kabuki brush and I love the way it look on me! I seriously don't need much product at all to cover my face. At the most all I need is one pump and a half. I have some acne scarring and this foundation covers them pretty decentley. I would say this foundation provides a medium-buildable coverage, with a soft matte finish. I have a combination of oily and dry skin. I make sure to apply my moisturizer before I apply this fouondation because I believe this foundation would accentuate the dryness on the skin if it is not properly moisturized. If you have dry skin, just make sure to moisturize beforehand, and you should be fine :) As for the oilies on my T-Zone, surprisingly this pro longwear foundation helps control it. Some days I don't even need to touch up! But then there are some days when the oil on my nose is uncontrollable LOL! This foundation does dry and set fast on the skin so my advice would be to work in sections, and blend it in fast. But once this baby dries, it is not budging until you remove it with your makeup remover and such.

I have been using this foundation for about 1 month and a half, and I love it! It is my HG liquid foundation and I am very happy to report that I have had no breakouts or any other alergic recations when using Pro Longwear. Thank You MAC for this foundation! And please don't EVER discontinue it!

I hope this review was helpful :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2010 10:34:00 PM More reviews by dizzygirli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

OMG, what a great foundation! I am an NC 40 right now because I have a tan and this was a perfect match for my skintone. I asked for a sample from the MUA @ MAC to try it out and I really love it. I put it on at around noon today and kept it on until 10pm. This foundation stayed put no retouching, just used a blotting paper at about 8pm to blot off excess oil. It truly made my skin look healthy and flawless. Usually
MAC foundations break me out, so I don't know if this one will. But the formula and lightweight texture is fantastic! I REALLY hope this foundation does not break me out, because I absolutely loved the finish it gave my face!!! I guess time will tell...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No