December 18, 2014 | 1818 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2009 1:23:00 AM More reviews by jacks250

this is way too expensive given that it does absolutely nothing. When I first bought this product about five years ago or so, i used it as a moisture mask and it was absolutely amazing.....when my skill looked dull, or especially hyperpigmentated/uneven, i would use this...and it would just brigthen up my skin and make it really smooth.......however, i just recently bought this again expecting the same results. it doesn't have that same effect anymore.....i don't even think it's that great at adding water or whatever it is it's supposed to do. bottom line: way overpriced.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 1:17:00 AM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The more I think about it, the more this product reminds me of aloe vera gel. I got a sample of it and loved it in the summer time. Not too heavy, gel like consistency, perfect amount of moisture. But this by no means is meant for dry winter skin care which really seems opposite of the product name. Don't get me wrong its an okay moisturizer, but for the price and the results, you'd probably be better off using 100% Aloe vera gel. I read some reviews and apparently some believe its a moisturizer 'booster', so maybe I'll try using it over the DDML of the 3 step Clinique routine to see if I get results that's worth $50 an ounce (1.7 oz to be exact). Until then, I won't repurchase.

**Edited to Add: Also, the Clinique company claims that you can use this under or over makeup. Just how in the heck are you supposed to use it over makeup? I mean wouldn't that just smear whatever foundation, powder or blush that you've applied. If someone could explain that it would be great.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2009 2:17:00 PM More reviews by jln7124

I received this as a sample from Sephora and was pretty sure I wouldn't like it as I seem to be one of the rare few who hates their original yellow moisturizer. Still, I threw this in my makeup bag and figured I'd use it in case of an emergency. I have to say, I love this! I had been using a gel moisturizer which I loved (by Avon's mark line) but decided to switch to a heavier cream in winter (Estee Lauder's Daywear plus) thinking a gel would not give my dry skin enough moisture & protection. This product completely surprised me, and the results are great. The consistency is a lovely gel, but not watery at all. The consistency is smooth & thick (but not so thick that it's gloppy and gross!) It goes on like a dream, feels very soothing on the skin and absorbs quickly. My only gripe is the jar! I hate having to stick my fingers in a jar to get product out. I wish they made this in a pump. I will definitely purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by janetgrace

I dislike Cliniue. Period. However, this prooduct is the bomb. It is made to either go over your moisturizer or applied over certain area of your face (cheeks, neck, declotee)) to give it a dewy look. It does just that. The purpose of this product is to make your moisturizer absorb and hydrate better. When used overnight, my skin is glowing the next morning. It's great in summertime too, as it lights up your face when skin is darker. To the reviewer who suggested that it has harmful ingredients, please contact me. I'm curious....

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2009 10:10:00 AM More reviews by vanessaortiz

I loveeee this moisturizer! I don't know why I have even bothered to look for other moisturizers. It seems like it doesn't work for everyone but it is PERFECT for my dry, acne-prone skin. I use it as a moisturizer and it is hydrating, smooth, absorbs well and does not make me break out. It also does not burn my sensitive skin. It feels so good going on my face and neck, too. It is more like a gel than a creme but that is what makes it so awesome and light. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 11:00:00 PM More reviews by kirita

i really LOVE this product, it REALLY moisturizes and feels really soft and not greasy, my skin type is combination and a lil bit oily and have some breakouts, and it works perfect on my skin type, i recommend a lot, the price is a lit bit expensive but its worth of it

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2009 8:43:00 PM More reviews by UglyMannequin

This is an alright moisturizer, and it's always a plus when there's SPF in it. The texture is cool and feels nice on your face, but the reason I didn't rate it real high is because I've tried just as good of moisturizers or better at a much cheaper price then this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by doORdye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well after reading some reviews, i'm not sure i'm using this product the way that you are supposed to. But I dont really care, because the way i'm using it is working for me! >.<

My skin tends to be more on the oily side, and I am acne prone. But during these winter months my skin always starts to freak out and flake and peel. So I've been using this just at night in place of a moisturizer, after cleansing with Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming cleanser (a very gentle cleanser). I use about a finger tip's worth and just spread it over my entire face. It does feel quite thick and gets a little sticky, but it doesnt bother me because I go straight to bed afterwards. When I wake up in the morning my skin feels like a baby's bottom. No joke. It looks soft and supple, and my skin tone looks more even than it normally does.

So, like I said, after reading some reviews it seems like I am using this the wrong way. People are saying you're supposed to use it AFTER using a moisturizer, but I dont feel I need to do that. It's working for me the way i'm using it. It hasnt broken me out so far, and actually the couple of pimples I had seem to go away without that nasty flakey period. They just kind of heal and the skin underneath is just soft.

I dont know if i'll continue using this when the weather starts to heat up again, but for now I really like it. I will repurchase when the time comes.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Haruka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is said to provide "a full 12 hours of soothing moisture" and it is "able to hold skinís moisture in balance through stressful shifts in humidity, like steamy exteriors and interiors parched by air conditioning" (clinique.com). You can use this under or over makeup or as a 5 min mask (by blotting off excess with a tissue). It does NOT contain sun protection.

It is an oil-free light pink gel-creme that is packaged in a clear glass jar with a silver lid. There're 2 size options available, 50ml (1.7 oz) and 75ml (2.5 oz). the smaller size retails for approx. $56 CAD before taxes but you can find the full size for only $37 CAD during holidays packaged as gift sets (with other products). This product is not colour nor fragrance free.

MY THOUGHTS: I don't care for Clinique products at all so my experience with this product has been rather surprising. I must point out that the name and description of the product is very misleading since this is NOT a moisturizer. It doesn't contain any ingredient that can provide your skin with sebum/skin lipids (aka moisturization). This product simply hydrates. If you have oily surface but yet feels dry/tight at the same time perhaps with some flakiness, your need hydration not moisturization. One way to tell is to blot with a blotting sheet/paper. if you see oil on it, you don't need a moisturizer. Skin needs both water and sebum to be soft and supple. If you have dry skin, using this product alone will not help at all since it cannot provide what your skin needs (which is more sebum/lipid). Glycerin and sodium hyaluronate both draw and hold water in, which cause the skin to swell; thus, temporarily reduce the look of fine lines and make skin look smoother and more plump.

The winter weather combined with dry indoor heat made my skin either oily or dry and flaky as the day went on from the dry air slowing taking the moisturize from my skin. Since the skin was slowly dehydrating, reapplying moisturizer didn't work well unless constantly reapplying (which was not practical) and facial sprays didn't do a thing or made my skin too oily. I've been using this product over my moisturizer sort of like a primer before my makeup and it has kept my skin looking soft, supple, and fresh looking all day long which was quite a feat in itself due to the cold dry winter and even drier indoor heating. It also provide a very smooth base for makeup to adhere to. 8+ hours later, my makeup still looked and felt as just applied. I didn't experience any problems with breakouts, irritations, or any other problems with it but my skin is not sensitive.

Although quite pricey, considering it is just a supplementary product, the gel-creme spreads very well so a little dab goes a long way. there is no need to slather it on. Just apply a very thin layer concentrating on problem area(s). I don't see how you can apply it as a mask unless you really goop it on since it absorbs into your skin completely so quickly. Since you're wiping off the excess anyway, I don't see how using it as a mask is any different from leaving it on. To me, it's just another marketing ploy to make more $. The cons I have to say is the packaging (can be unsanitary) and fragrance and colour, both of which are very unnecessary in skincare product. I don't find the scent to be off-putting but I very dislike scented skincare products in general. The full size product that are sometimes sold as part of a gift set is often packaged in a squeeze tube so for those how have issues with jar packaging, look out of the gift sets.

UPDATE MAR 14/09: This product is becoming one of my must-haves when flying esp. on long flights. I apply a good layer of it and it keeps my skin comfortable throughout the flight.

INGREDIENTS: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, glycerin, birch bark extract, lady's thistle extract, green tea leaf extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, sucrose, aloe barbadensis leaf water, trehalose, hydroxyethyl urea, sorbitol, oleth-10, tromethamine, caffeine, hydrogenated lecithin, hydrolyzed extensin, sodium hyaluronate, tocopheryl acetate, palmitoyl olgiopeptide, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl polymethacrylate, peg-8, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolumer, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, carbomer, hexylene glycol, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, red 4 (CI 14700), yellow 5 (CI 19140) [ILN33654]

MYSELF: I'm an Eurasian with combo skin that is very prone to clogged pores and I use a Rx gel retinoid nightly. My skin details (and other info) are in my notepad. continued >>

25 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2009 2:35:00 PM More reviews by KattyKit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

On days when my skin is feeling really tight and dry, I apply a tiny amount of this stuff and it works fine. Not something I'd purchase but it's nice to have around. I have dry/combo skin and this stuff tends to break me out if I use it on a daily basis or if I accidentally apply too much, and it's very easy to go overboard with. I recommend it if you have overly dry skin and some money to spare, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Side note; Ugh, I hate that it comes in a pot.