November 26, 2014 | 1636 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2009 8:43:00 PM More reviews by UglyMannequin

This is an alright moisturizer, and it's always a plus when there's SPF in it. The texture is cool and feels nice on your face, but the reason I didn't rate it real high is because I've tried just as good of moisturizers or better at a much cheaper price then this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by doORdye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well after reading some reviews, i'm not sure i'm using this product the way that you are supposed to. But I dont really care, because the way i'm using it is working for me! >.<

My skin tends to be more on the oily side, and I am acne prone. But during these winter months my skin always starts to freak out and flake and peel. So I've been using this just at night in place of a moisturizer, after cleansing with Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming cleanser (a very gentle cleanser). I use about a finger tip's worth and just spread it over my entire face. It does feel quite thick and gets a little sticky, but it doesnt bother me because I go straight to bed afterwards. When I wake up in the morning my skin feels like a baby's bottom. No joke. It looks soft and supple, and my skin tone looks more even than it normally does.

So, like I said, after reading some reviews it seems like I am using this the wrong way. People are saying you're supposed to use it AFTER using a moisturizer, but I dont feel I need to do that. It's working for me the way i'm using it. It hasnt broken me out so far, and actually the couple of pimples I had seem to go away without that nasty flakey period. They just kind of heal and the skin underneath is just soft.

I dont know if i'll continue using this when the weather starts to heat up again, but for now I really like it. I will repurchase when the time comes.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Haruka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief is said to provide "a full 12 hours of soothing moisture" and it is "able to hold skinís moisture in balance through stressful shifts in humidity, like steamy exteriors and interiors parched by air conditioning" (clinique.com). You can use this under or over makeup or as a 5 min mask (by blotting off excess with a tissue). It does NOT contain sun protection.

It is an oil-free light pink gel-creme that is packaged in a clear glass jar with a silver lid. There're 2 size options available, 50ml (1.7 oz) and 75ml (2.5 oz). the smaller size retails for approx. $56 CAD before taxes but you can find the full size for only $37 CAD during holidays packaged as gift sets (with other products). This product is not colour nor fragrance free.

MY THOUGHTS: I don't care for Clinique products at all so my experience with this product has been rather surprising. I must point out that the name and description of the product is very misleading since this is NOT a moisturizer. It doesn't contain any ingredient that can provide your skin with sebum/skin lipids (aka moisturization). This product simply hydrates. If you have oily surface but yet feels dry/tight at the same time perhaps with some flakiness, your need hydration not moisturization. One way to tell is to blot with a blotting sheet/paper. if you see oil on it, you don't need a moisturizer. Skin needs both water and sebum to be soft and supple. If you have dry skin, using this product alone will not help at all since it cannot provide what your skin needs (which is more sebum/lipid). Glycerin and sodium hyaluronate both draw and hold water in, which cause the skin to swell; thus, temporarily reduce the look of fine lines and make skin look smoother and more plump.

The winter weather combined with dry indoor heat made my skin either oily or dry and flaky as the day went on from the dry air slowing taking the moisturize from my skin. Since the skin was slowly dehydrating, reapplying moisturizer didn't work well unless constantly reapplying (which was not practical) and facial sprays didn't do a thing or made my skin too oily. I've been using this product over my moisturizer sort of like a primer before my makeup and it has kept my skin looking soft, supple, and fresh looking all day long which was quite a feat in itself due to the cold dry winter and even drier indoor heating. It also provide a very smooth base for makeup to adhere to. 8+ hours later, my makeup still looked and felt as just applied. I didn't experience any problems with breakouts, irritations, or any other problems with it but my skin is not sensitive.

Although quite pricey, considering it is just a supplementary product, the gel-creme spreads very well so a little dab goes a long way. there is no need to slather it on. Just apply a very thin layer concentrating on problem area(s). I don't see how you can apply it as a mask unless you really goop it on since it absorbs into your skin completely so quickly. Since you're wiping off the excess anyway, I don't see how using it as a mask is any different from leaving it on. To me, it's just another marketing ploy to make more $. The cons I have to say is the packaging (can be unsanitary) and fragrance and colour, both of which are very unnecessary in skincare product. I don't find the scent to be off-putting but I very dislike scented skincare products in general. The full size product that are sometimes sold as part of a gift set is often packaged in a squeeze tube so for those how have issues with jar packaging, look out of the gift sets.

UPDATE MAR 14/09: This product is becoming one of my must-haves when flying esp. on long flights. I apply a good layer of it and it keeps my skin comfortable throughout the flight.

INGREDIENTS: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, glycerin, birch bark extract, lady's thistle extract, green tea leaf extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, sucrose, aloe barbadensis leaf water, trehalose, hydroxyethyl urea, sorbitol, oleth-10, tromethamine, caffeine, hydrogenated lecithin, hydrolyzed extensin, sodium hyaluronate, tocopheryl acetate, palmitoyl olgiopeptide, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl polymethacrylate, peg-8, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolumer, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, carbomer, hexylene glycol, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, red 4 (CI 14700), yellow 5 (CI 19140) [ILN33654]

MYSELF: I'm an Eurasian with combo skin that is very prone to clogged pores and I use a Rx gel retinoid nightly. My skin details (and other info) are in my notepad. continued >>

25 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2009 2:35:00 PM More reviews by KattyKit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

On days when my skin is feeling really tight and dry, I apply a tiny amount of this stuff and it works fine. Not something I'd purchase but it's nice to have around. I have dry/combo skin and this stuff tends to break me out if I use it on a daily basis or if I accidentally apply too much, and it's very easy to go overboard with. I recommend it if you have overly dry skin and some money to spare, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Side note; Ugh, I hate that it comes in a pot.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Ankyl

It's my first Clinique's product

Used at night and woke up with sooooo smooth skin

Good
It hydrates people with all skin type, but for someone who has really dry skin will have to apply more than 2 times a day. It leave you matte finish as other review said..YES ! BUT.... it doesn't leave you dry .. you have matte face and hydrated face ! Who else want to have oily face ???

Bad
Clear jar , destroy the good antioxidants !
Price is not so expensive but it's not cheap !

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2008 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Java

Glad that I didn't purchase this; got a sample instead. I tried the 1st generation Moisture Surge and it dried me out and gave me whiteheads. So after that I never touched MS. But since this winter my skin is very dry, I decided to give the newest formulation another try.

It feels greasy initially, but once it is absorbed, it leaves a matt finish. Yes, a little hydrated, but my face does not feel natural; it is like a plastic film over my skin, the feeling of which I don't like. The final deal-breaker is that after using it for two nights, I started to have red patches and bumps on my face.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2008 2:35:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a nice light moisturizing gel that is fragrance free. I received it as a gift with purchase, but I wouldn't purchase it myself for three reasons:
1. It sometimes makes my sensitive skin sting a little when I first apply it.
2. It's more expensive than Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisurizing Gel, which I prefer.
3. I hate the jar packaging that it comes in.

Ingredients: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, glycerin, birch bark extract, lady's thistle extract, green tea leaf extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, sucrose, aloe barbadensis leaf water, trehalose, hydroxyethyl urea, sorbitol, oleth-10, tromethamine, caffeine, hydrogenated lecithin, hydrolyzed extensin, sodium hyaluronate, tocopheryl acetate, palmitoyl olgiopeptide, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl polymethacrylate, peg-8, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolumer, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, carbomer, hexylene glycol, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, red 4, yellow 5. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2008 2:11:00 PM More reviews by angels2919

Well I had a bad experience with this product, it could be that I am not as dry as I thought and the yellow (dramatically different lotion) works well for me right now. I thought this would maybe give me more moisture along with the lotion but it really made my face feel gross and sticky. When I am able to speak to a Clinique consultant I may try it again Right now though will stick to my yellow lotion.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2008 4:13:00 AM More reviews by matos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have the new version of moisture surge extended thirst relief and i must say these is the best product for me.
Inci:Water-Cyclopentasiloxane-butylene glycol-glycerin-Betula alba extract-Silybum marianum extract-Camellia sinensis(green tea) extract-Saccharomyces lysate extract-sucrose-Aloe barbadensis leaf water-Trehalose-Hydrogenated urea-Sorbitol-Oleth10 -tromethamine-Caffein-Hydrogenated lechitin-Hydrolyzed extensis-Sodium hyaluronoate-Tocopheryl acetate-Palmitoly oligopeptide-Capryly glycol-dimethicone-Glyceryl polymeth acrylate-peg-8 Ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer glycol-magnesium ascorbly phospate-carbomer-hexylen glycol-disodium edta-phenoxyethanol-red4-yelow5.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2008 9:13:00 PM More reviews by angeltearsofthenight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really don't understand why people badmouth this product so much, it's like a mob mentality thing going on here. I really don't understand. Clinique's Moisture Surge is my daily must have. I have been using this moisturizer for over 2 years now. I have oily skin during the summer and dry patches during the winter. It is moisturizing for oily skin yet it is a gel, so my makeup never "melts" during the day; yet at the same time it really helps moisturize during the winter because it is not heavy. It has no smell to it, so that's a bonus. In the end, people with oilier skins should really try this out especially during the winter when Dramatically Difference Gel doesn't moisturize enough.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No