September 30, 2014 | 1590 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by mtycer

I use Pond's Cold Cream strictly as an eye makeup remover. I dab a glob onto my eyelashes and massage it in, making sure the lashes are generously coated. I wipe my hands, brush my teeth, and then use some cotton pads to wipe off the cold cream. I then cleanse my entire face really well with Clinique Foaming Cleanser (which is really good at getting most of the cold cream residue off), and then cleanse again with Cetaphil. I probably didn't get breakouts like other reviewers, because of the two cleansers I used afterwards.

PROS: Cheap. Smells nice. When using the method above, did a good job of removing eye makeup. Didn't burn my eyes (because of Accutane, my eyes were really really sensitive for awhile, and stung after using makeup removers).
CONS: The little jar is difficult to get into. I have to be really careful to remove it with my other cleansers afterwards (although I always use two cleansers, to make sure I get off all of my foundation and primer!)

I think I'm going to try to find a better eye makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2009 1:11:00 AM More reviews by littleyvette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried various makeup removers and I always go back to my cold cream. It's the best and most importantly it's cost efficient :).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 8:11:00 PM More reviews by staci01

I just bought another tub of this last week after swearing it off for a more natural vein of using jojoba and coconut oil to remove makeup. The thing is that natural m/u removers , as much as I'd like, don't remove all makeup very well especially some mineral m/u and waterproof mascara and lipstick. As much as I don't want to use unnatural products my oily skin requires it and so I need to use regular makeup removers like Ponds or Lancome's Bi-Facil. The reason I went back to Ponds is due to price. As much as I love Bi-Facil it's more than a bit pricey and I can get my makeup off just as well with Ponds at half the price. Only complaint is the unsanitary tub and the fragrance and the ingredient DMDM Hydantion as mentioned by another poster below. Other than those things mentioned this is a great staple and no need to buy the pricey stuff at the department stores.EDIT 4/4/11 Giving this now a 2. Works great but I've never liked all the chemicals in it when baby oil does the same thing and both have mineral oil in them and it's mineral oil that does the majority of the makeup removal. Thankfully I recently found that raw unrefined coconut oil takes waterproof makeup off completely! I tried this out after using L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof mascara since Voluminous waterproof is totally budge proof. The coconut oil took all the mascara off and kept my eye area nice and moisturized even after washing all the coconut oil off. It also did not break my skin out! So no more Pond's or baby oil for me! EDIT 6/8/13 Lowering this to a 1 lippy. Figured out this stuff breaks my skin out. Some investigation I also learned that Pond's Cold Cream is NO LONGER "the cool classic" that it still calls itself. Pond's changed the recipe three or so years ago. More and longer named ingredients in the list and some of the original ingredients have been dropped. If you want the plain original recipe with the beeswax and borax, and the fewer ingredients, then get Walgreen's store version of cold cream. I've not tried that one yet but it's on my list for future purchase. Will not purchase this product again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2009 10:06:00 AM More reviews by lauralikes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i take a stage makeup class so we use some heavy duty stuff like ben nye foundations, cream shadows, highlights, and also wax (like for our eyebrows). well, after 50 minutes of having that junk on my face, cold cream is what makes me feel amazing again. I just lather it on my face, take a paper towel and wipe it off, then wash my face with a normal face cleanser, and i honestly dont even feel the need to moisturize after because it's as if ponds penetrated once, and will remain even after washing/sweating/whatever.
it's also great for an eye cream at night or just an overall night cream (for some hardcore moisture).

the reason why i give it 4 stars isbecause it takes a lot of whiping to get it off! it's kinda slippery and greasy so you have to get to every spot with the paper towel. and it might make you feel a bit too moisturized, in the way that makes you feel like you're wearing too much on your face.

Just try it, it's cheap, see how you like it... but for sure,if you're using A LOT of makeup and dont want to damage your skin, ponds cold cream is the way to go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great make up remover and sssssooooooo cheap. I love when a product works and I don't have to spend a ton on it. (I don't understand women who seem to think h/e and spending a lot of $$$ has something to do with a product being good. I think SUCKER)

It does smell a little granny but I kindof like the rose smell. As another review said it 'melt' aways your makeup. My face is totally clean. I follow up with a gentle cleanser since I can feel a kindof greasy film.

No breakouts and does not add oil to my already oily skin. Just a great product that I was reluctant to try b/c I thought it would add to my oilness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2009 5:36:00 PM More reviews by ccjcjl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I used this as a cleanser only and it caused very bad allergic reactions. It does remove makeup very well, and the container isn't so bad (I keep a mini scoop inside of it), but I will never, ever buy this product again. It makes my face numb (temporarily) and causes burn-like rashes on my face (permanently?!). It looked like rosacea, with a lot of bumps (whiteheads and blackheads galore!) in the red areas. And now, 5-6 months later, I still look like I have very mild rosacea. I'm wondering if I actually have the skin condition. I think I'm allergic to the ceresin in this product, like many others are.

Edit, October 2009: I think I've had sensitive skin before this product. The cream just made it that much more apparent.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2009 12:22:00 AM More reviews by chilee30059

Pond's cold cream is an economical, no-frills beauty staple for the three generations of women in our family. One of the reasons why I liked Pond's cold cream was that you can count all the ingredients with your fingers (try to reduce the amount of chemicals you put on your skin, since your body will absorb them). However, I am disappointed that Pond's reformulated the product by adding toxic ingredients like the preservative DMDM Hydantoin. The upside of this change is that the original Pond's cold cream is still manufactured. You just have to look harder. My local drugstore has it while one major drugstore carried the new reformulated one. Good luck guys!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by hailung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely a classic! the 'classic cold cream' as the bottle says... it is much better than the newer cucumber formula which looks cute from the cucumber pic, but is too runny when i use it as an eye makeup remover it slides all over my eyes. i much rather prefer this cold cream, it's so fresh and removes like magic, also it makes your skin very moisturized and smooth and touchable!!! the scent is lovely old fashion but hey it's great!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2009 11:02:00 AM More reviews by margraham

I used this for 25 years as an eye-makeup remover,and then they changed the formula. I developed a severe reaction in January 2009 and had to see the eye doctor to clear it up.
Since I couldn't believe the product I had used for so many years was now causing me to react so terribly, I contacted Ponds directl.
They informed me that the formula did indeed change, and they are not required to notify the public when a formula changes. So many people used this product because it was safe and did not cause any reactions. I am sorry that it changed. Am now on the hunt for a creamy eye-makeup remover. They should take the reference to eye-makeup removal off of their packaging.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 10:12:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

I myself had a nasty, painful rosacea reaction from Boots Cold Cream recently, so I'm totally sympathetic to rosacea sufferers who might have problems w/ this product. Ponds doesn't cause problems like that in me, but all the same, be cautious, rosacea sufferers. In terms of rosacea/sensitive skin, I wonder if Mustela Cold Cream might be a better option. Also, for sensitive skin people, a Caswell-Massey or Mustela cold cream soap might be a gentler option, provided you wear only a little makeup. Ponds can't compete w/me compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, but when you have to tighten your belt, Ponds wins out on the economy front.
It must be said though, that Ponds works well in terms of make up removal. For those who find it doesn't remove enough, I find the "double dip" effective: apply a thin layer, wipe off w/tissue, apply another thin layer and wipe off, then wash face w/gentle soap. As for contamination issue, here's a trick I learned w/my German Nivea tin. Remove the amount you need w/a Q-tip, placing on a tissue. Look, Ma, no hands. This stuff is great for people w/fairly normal skin. My one complaint is that Ponds needs to develop two more lines, a fragrance free version and a version that uses almond oil for those wary of mineral oil. I don't get why they don't they increase their customer base this way. Update: I have found pore strips have fewer and smaller clogs w/Ponds than DHC. I'm keeping it at a four instead of five because of the scent. It doesn't irritate me, but I could see it bothering others. Ponds just needs to develop fragrance free version for super sensitive skin. Know there's a lot of anti-mineral oil vibes out there, but if you check a few notepads on MUA, you'll find there are people who've found mineral oil in Ponds healing.
Update: Am removing a lippie, making my score a three. I recently switched to Noxzema and Noxzema totally beats Ponds. Noxzema not only cleanses, it's drying up some persistent stress-induced pimples on my chin, but doesn't dry out my skin. However, Ponds still works great as an eye makeup remover, so I'll buy a small thing of Ponds again, but only for eye makeup removal purposes.
Update 9/9/11: Changed it to No for would you buy this again rating. In the past six months, I've found the fragrance is too much for my mild rosacea. I've switched to the fragrance-free version of Albolene with no problems.