April 18, 2014 | 1930 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2009 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I only use this to take off my makeup, never as a cleanser (I don't use cleansers anymore, I haven't found one that doesn't irritate or dry out my sensitive skin).

1 tub (cold cream for dry skin):
- Horrendous granny smell
- Really greasy and oily consistency. Made me break out.
+ Worked great as an after-shave cream on the legs

2 tub (cold cream for normal/oily skin):
+ Fragrance toned down, doesn't smell like much
+ Much thinner consistency
* Had to repurchase because I dropped the open container in the shower, so all the contents spilled...

3 tub (cold cream for normal/oily skin):
-REALLY irritating to my skin.
I realized this after using it to take off my makeup on a day where my skin looked and felt the best since a long time. For once, my skin was not too red, too dried out or with too many breakouts. The morning after I used this, my skin was itchy as hell and I had many dry patches on my skin that weren't there before. I spent the whole day restraining myself from scratching my face. I even had to wash my face twice and apply hydrocortisone cream after that.
WON'T - EVER - USE - THIS - ANYMORE.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by merryjane81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used both Shu Uemura's cleansing oils and DHC's cleansing oil. Both have made me break out. The Cold Cream does not.

I think the reason why the Cold Cream does not make me break out is because it only has about 7 ingredients. Contrary to what most people have been saying about this product, though, it does not remove ALL make up. Also, it leaves a greasy film on your face after use. If you try using a warm washcloth to wipe the film off of your face (after you've already wiped with tissue), you will notice traces of make up on the washcloth. For these reasons I always wash my face again with a liquid face wash.

For those who want to leave the film on their face/wipe with warm washcloth: I've tried both and neither has made me breakout.

I took away a lippie because I don't like that packaging. I think the large jar is unsanitary. I hate having to dig my fingers into it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 1:41:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this product..althought when i wipe off my makeup it leaves my face super greasy I hate it..but then it goes away..it just sinks into my skin and leaves it nice and soft..i will definately buy this again! ☺☺☺

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 1:39:00 PM More reviews by kalliope

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a late comer to the cold cream party. My grandma used it, but for whatever reason, I never tried it. I think I was always afraid of heavy, creamy products because of breakouts.

Since I've been wanting to do the oil cleansing thing, I've become interested in creamy cleansers as an alternative, especially since I'm trying out some serious sunblocks lately. I've broken out from DHC's oil and regular olive oil in the past, and somehow stumbled upon the info about mineral oil not being comedogenic. This made sense for me to try, because about a year ago I discovered that I LOVE mineral oil-based eye makeup removers.

My skin is combination and somewhat reactive (product breakouts), so many natural products unfortunately don't agree with me (usually it's the essential oils or other irritants), which is a pity because I WANT to use all natural stuff because it appeals to my general philosophy. So while I experiment with other natural DIY oils (will try sweet almond, grapeseed, and safflower), I thought I'd give this a chance.

I've been using the classic cold cream for a week, and my skin is looking great. I massage it for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, and like to make gentle circular motions from the center of my face toward the outside. I bought "facial cleansing cloths" from Walgreens (large flat cotton pads), and use one to wipe off the cream DRY. Then I wet a second with warm water, and wipe again.

I've been following this up most nights with a light cleanse with Purpose Gentle cleanser, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. For eye makeup removal, I still prefer Almay Moisturizing Eye Makeup Remover. It requires me to tug less on my skin. I use it after the Ponds.

So I sort of hate that I'm loving this! I'd rather not support the oil industry, but until I can find an eco-friendly oil or creamy product that actually agrees with my skin, I guess I'll be sucking it up and using this instead. It's working for me like the OCM supposedly does for others -- my pores look so much clearer than normal!

I do hate the smell, though. I can't decide if it just reminds me of old lady cosmetics, or if it's closer to scented tampons! Luckily, I don't find that it lingers for long. The scent, and the sticking-fingers-into-a-messy-jar thing made me dock it a lippy. Wish it came in a tube, although in general jar packaging looks nostalgically elegant in comparison, right?

UPDATE: (March 2010) I quit using this in the fall. I seem to get reddish flaky areas after a while of using this for any length of time, which is a pity, since it makes my pores look nice.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by PaleIsTheNewTan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really on the fence with this product. Given the 81% re-buy and the 4+ lippie average, I really wanted to try this product and like it. I've been using LUSH's Ultra Bland - which worked nicer than Clinique's TTDO balm that didn't last as long. I thought Ponds' Cold Cream could become an even cheaper & easier to find product for removing my makeup.

It isn't a bad product, but it's not particularly great either. It did get off my foundation & concealer with out any issue. It did not get off my waterproof eyeliner. While tissuing off, I could see makeup residue coming off - but I still felt I had to use 3 or 4 times the amount I do with some other products I've tried. I also had to do the whole shebang twice with Ponds, as well to really feel as if I had a clean face.

I know reviews have raved about how nice and soft their skin felt after tissiung off. While my face did feel moisturized [dry skin, used the dry/normal skin cream], it wasn't a true, hydrated moisturized feeling. It was more akin to what my face feels like right after putting on a foundation primer. Which while nice, felt very artificial and very silicone-esque. However, while going on, I didn't find this product overly greasy at all.

Personally, I hate the packaging. The packaging is really awkward as it's very small the first few inches, and then it's a big, round container. The cream is very emollient, so it was difficult for me to use wax applicator sticks to get product out. I'm kind of anal about products I have to dip my fingers into, and this product is not so out of this world amazing for me, that I'm willing to put up with it.

That said, I don't think this as a makeup remover is that bad, it just isn't great and doesn't work for me.

UPDATED: Added one star as I've found a way for this to work for me. It is a MUST that I gently rub in this in in circular motions and leave it on for 2-3 minutes before tissuing it off. Slapping it on to immediately then rinsing with warm water and a washcloth does not work. No breakouts, less of that silicone-fake moisture feeling.

It's definately a re-buy when it's on sale at Shoppers'. I still need to use more of this product than I do of my HG, LUSH Ultra Bland to get off an everyday (primer, concealer, light-medium foundation, powder, lipstick) face. One jar lasts me about 2 weeks - at $10.99 (regular CDN price at SDM) or $6.96 (Wal Mart), it's worth it to just spend the $14.99 for LUSH's Ultra Bland that lasts me nearly 6 weeks (45g).

4 stars, 1 star taken away for packaging, and the lack of value in comparison to Ultra Bland.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 1:37:00 AM More reviews by shygirl808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I swear by this product! I use it for taking off my makeup. It will get anything off! Including my waterproof mascaras :) It's not drying either. Very very moisturizing! this is one of my MUST HAVES of all time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2009 3:12:00 PM More reviews by Strut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently fell in love with Ponds Cold Cream but unfortunately it looks like the ingredients have changed.

Old formula: Mineral Oil, Aqua, Beeswax, Cerasin, Sodium Borate, Parfum, Carbomer

The new formula contains more than double the ingredients and is filled with preservatives. I am so frustrated that I have found a deep cleanser for my acne prone skin and now it has been changed. I do not understand why Ponds would change a classic like this! I am extremely disappointed!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by kristenpaff

HG!
After what I assume was an allergic reaction to alcohol, I was left stranded with no make up remover I knew of. Those wipes would just sting my face so badly! Until my mum told me about this cream that her mother used to use and now I only use this. It's wonderful. Leaves your face soft and completely breaks down all makeup on your face!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2009 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Luvsey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used Ponds Cold Cream since I was 16 years old that makes it I have used Ponds Cold Cream for 52 years. My face is youth looking and people are in shock of my age they keep on telling me I look 42 to 43 years of age. My friends tell me instead of aging every year I look younger every year.
Ponds Cold Cream is the best for facial cleansing. Love It! My facial skin is really nice. It is smooth and no wrinkles.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I recently re-discovered this product. I used it back in the 1960's, which I merely save up with my pocket money and in those days, this was all that I could afford. It came in a milky glass jar with a metal lid. the consistency is somewhat softer than the now, all plastic jar & the cream feels denser. Back in those days the Ponds ad promote this product as the "7 day beauty plan", which is to use it nightly to remove make up & then re-apply just to leave the product on the face for a few minutes more & remove, do this for 7 days & rewarded with great skin ..... time sure goes fast. There was no such thing as cream mask in those days, but this is a similar concept.
I do not break out from products, & this cold cream cleanse thoroughly just like cleansing oil does with a luxurious feel to it ( just close your eyes & imagine you paid $70 for this cream) and after its been all tissued off, I layered a somewhat steaming towel over it & inhale deeply (I love the fragrance too), its really relaxing & I will pick up a few more jars next time I am at Walmart.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No