December 22, 2014 | 1293 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Cheekbones

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm 61 with dry red sensitive skin and about nuts trying to find a good moisturizer that does the job without making me redder. So I tried the jojoba and it does absorb after a few minutes. Leaves my skin softer, not redder or irritated at all. after I let it on a few minutes, my makeup went on smoothly too. I will write back and let you know if it breaks me out after a week or so of using.
Update Update Update

My skin started to itch after using the jojoba for a few days, and dry patches came back. I am going to try Cetaphil next.

Did not like Cetaphil. Also, it has parabens. Now I use St. Ives Collagen/Elastin facial moisturizer with one or two drops of almond oil mixed into it in my palm when applying. If your skin is not dry, you won't need the extra almond oil.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by jbeers

I have been waiting to review this product until I had a routine down that was perfect and well, after 3 bottles I think I have this down to a science. I have had very, very bad skin. Forever. So bad that I have taken Accutane twice and most recently tried spiro and retin-a. Nothing worked to completely clear me up. Then I read about Jojoba here, googled it, and went that day to Trader Joes. I will never be without this product. Hands down, this has completely changed my skin. Even hormonal breakouts are a distant memory.

So here is the thing. I started out just using it as a nighttime moisturizer and things improved, but I was still breaking out. It wasn't until I decided to get super simple that I cleared up completely. I use jojoba as my only cleanser and moisturizer both morning and night. At night, I apply generously and wash it all off once (sometimes using a washcloth to steam it off) and then put another generous coat on and leave it on. In the morning, I put another generous coat on and then wash it off until I can feel a slight film of it.

I finish up with sunscreen (Sofina lucent -which can be drying, so this is the perfect counterbalance) and SKII airtouch spray on foundation (love it!) and I can honestly say that my skin has never looked better. I just wish I had known about this years ago. Why don't dermatologists recommend this stuff?!?

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by Jane4Jones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have supper oily skin. Usually, 30 mins after putting on my make-up, I see oil beginning to form along my t-zone. An hour after wearing make-up, my face glows from excessive oiliness. Before, I had to buy tons of facial blotting tissue and carry powder around four touching up every hour. I had tried oil mattifying lotions, none of them worked. I read the reviews about jojoba oil and decided to purchase the Desert Essence brand. I donít' know how it works but after three days, the oiliness on my face has been controlled by 80%. My face is still oily but not as much as before. I mix three drops of jojoba oil in my morning and evening moisturizer, let it soak in and then apply my make up. I look fabulous all day.

Updated Review: I have been using this product for about three months and just recently stopped. It has controlled my oiliness, which is what I wanted but my face now is beginning to look a bit dry though it feels very soft. I use it twice a day -- two drops in my facial moisturizer. I think I will cut down to two drops once a day and see if that helps my skin remain naturally dewy looling without looking too oily. Otherwise, its a terrific product. No other product has ever been able to control my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by spytz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been using this for about two months. One thing I can definitely say is that, for me & many, many others, Jojoba Oil almost proves that you don't need all those chemicals & added 'vitamins x y z etc' that other moisturisers contain for your skin to improve. It's all just a gimmick seriously.
Throughout my 2 months ignoring my normal moisturiser and using this, I can say that it has improved my skin tone in terms of evening it out. It has not aggravated the blackheads on my t-zone. I'm inclined to say that the amount of blackheads have actually reduced by about 50%. When combined with my sunscreen and a little tinted moisturiser around my eyes, my skin does look very dewy and healthy.
I apply roughly two drops of Jojoba mornings & evenings after I cleanse my face. Using a large amount as I have found out, leaves a thin layer of oil on the skin, which as a result may take quite some time for the skin to soak up.
As much as there are many positives to the oil, it also strung along with it some negatives. Using the oil on my forehead did cause a collection of spots around there, which I thought would heal quickly (like a lot of people say, the occasional pimple that popped up because of jojoba, healed quickly). However unfortunately, they didn't. So I've cut down the amount of jojoba I use around there to a TINY amount, and I'm happy to say that the spots are gradually disappearing.
Another -ve was using a jojoba around my eyes - left me with puffy eyes in the morning (the type you get after crying your eyes out the night before for whatever reason). Not good. So I've started using only TINY amounts there and have not had that problem since.
I would say to not rely on Jojoba solely as the only hope for amazing skin because good skin is a result of many factors. i.e hereditary, sleep pattern, diet etc etc.
OK before I kill your eyes with all this text, all in all Jojoba is worth the money(for most people). Obviously Jojoba will not suit everyone. Jojoba > other branded moisturisers for those people's skin it works on because it is natural. Why spend money on man-made chemicals when you can have equal goodness/even better goodness from something natural?

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Jazaminax

After reading reviews and googling the crap out of this stuff, I decided to buy it (NOW brand- from GNC). I always knew it worked great on hair and nails, as a moisturizing agent.. But now, after using it for a couple of months already, i'm SO happy to find it works AMAZINGLY on my face too!

I have been breaking out very badly for a good six months now, no idea why, but it's been very discouraging. I used to have that clear, healthy, porcelain skin... And all the sudden it turned into a hot mess. (FYI, I'm light olive toned, combo skin with cystic/hormonal pimple problems and t-zone blackheads). I tried ProActiv, the Clean & Clear Advantage kit, endless lines... And then I came to the conclusion that all of the harsh chemicals in most of the products I was using wasn't helping but hurting my acne issues...

So in comes jojoba. I LOVE THIS STUFF. At night, I wash my face with Cetaphil gentle cleanser (which has been one of my fav staples for years).. If I wore foundation during the day, i will remove it with Ponds cold cream and then wash my face.. And then I swipe my face with a cottonball wet with pure lemon juice (to lighten scars and refine pores a bit- it WORKS).. Then i'll dab 100% pure tea tree oil on a few blemishes.. And finally I put 2-3 drops of the jojoba oil on my fingers, rub them together, and evenly rub into my face and neck.

Let me tell you, EVERY morning i do this, i wake up with a softer, more evenly toned, glowy face. My face just loves this stuff. Any pimples that may have been starting to appear are noticeably smaller, and i really believe it heals existing problems WAY faster. Its really amazing, I'll be using this for a while.

For people who are scared to use an oil on their face- DON'T BE. First of all, jojoba IS NOT actually an "oil". It is a wax esther that is the closest substance to human sebum (oil). I really recommend everyone try it. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work. NOTHING is a 100% amazing overnight heal-all.. I still do get the occasional hormonal cystic pimple or whitehead- but trust me, this stuff helps and just makes your face happy.

I also mix a small drop with my moisturizer in the morning. It isn't really greasy and soaks up fast. It actually makes your face look soft and dewy as opposed to oily and shiny... It does so by mimicking your faces natural oil so your face doesn't produce as much, hence the reason many people may say their face actually feels LESS oily after using this. Just make sure you don't use too much. I'd start with two drops at night before you go to bed.

But yes.. GREAT stuff.. for face, nails, skin, hair...Love love love it!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2008 7:13:00 PM More reviews by cambree

My first experience with jojoba oil was the non-scented and clear used in making cosmetics. I worked great for my face. And when I ran out, I decided to go with Desert Essence brand. The smell at first reminded me of sesame oil, so it took some getting used to. But after that time period, I really do like it.

It made my face break out a bit on day 1 and 2. But now it's been week 3-4 and I have no break outs. I think my skin must have been adjusting to it. At first I used it for the dry patches on my chin, but then decided it's probably good all over. I put some on my legs after shaving and it's very soothing, not greasy at all. I also put some on my hair and it tames the frizzies. This is a great all natural product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by martiyates

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Unfortunately,this product did nothing but cause my skin problems. While I have sensitive skin, I hadn't had any problems for several months. In fact, it was looking better than it had in some time. I'd been using Ren calendula cleanser and Derma-E DMAE serum and was looking for a product to add some extra moisture to my skin. After applying the jojoba oil after cleansing before bed for a few days, I developed dry patches of pimples on my chin. Even after I stopped using it, my skin was itchy and irritated for almost a week, and the patches on my chin are still not normal. It may be that I have an allergy to this product. In general, though I was surprised that it wasn't all that moisturizing even though it seems so at first. I don't recommend it, but obviously it works for a lot of folks...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by mrsvixen89

All i can say is WOW! I just bought some 100% pure Jojoba oil yesterday hopeing to find somthing for my troublesome acne prone skin and dry damaged hair and i think i found my HG...i think. Last night i applied a little to my hair because of whatever i use, nothing keeps my hair moisturized without weighing it down. I have other hair oils but it seems that when i use it and wrap my hair at night with a silk scarf, my hair is still dry in the morning but when i woke up this morning, my hair was so shiny, soft and not weighed down and my scalp wasnt itcy like usual! Im so happy. I bought the NOW brand and it was $9.99 at GNC for a 4 fl.oz bottle and it was the only one left plus they werent getting anymore in for a while so i bought it . I havent tried it on my face yet but i will tonight, im just begging that it wont break me out too badly because ive read that it will cause a few zits because of its removing the impurities but i can live with that. Im just trying to find a dropper bottle because when i apply it to my scalp, i dont want it to gush out :)

UPDATE: My hair is looking so much healthier since i started using this. Its much more softer, shinier,and much more easy to manage. Ive been using it on my face at night as a moisturizer but its only one been about a week and i am getting a few zits as it was mentioned to happen but im not giving up on it, I LOVE JOJOBA OIL!
UPDATE 2: Im not using this on my face anymore, my face was clear for 3 days of not using this and when i put it on one night, i had 6 new zits the next morning. Tried to wait it out but i saw no improvement.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by smontema

I broke out using this, as did a few other MUA-ers. I tried just two drops on a damp face, or mixed into my moisturizer. Still, my face became acne-riffic. I gave it about 4 other tries, and I'd get the same results - brand new breakout, and several, rather impressive, scars. *shrugs* Jojoba oil just didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: So, even after my horrible response to this stuff, the lemming in me just wouldn't die, so I decided to give it one more try, and now I love it. I think the problem was that I was trying to cleanse with it (and only it), moisturize with it, etc., which made my face both flaky and oily at the same time. What I do now is cleanse/remove makeup with a mixture of safflower oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil, and follow it up with my regular Paula's Choice cleanser. I also mix two drops of jojoba oil and one drop of tea tree oil into my Clinique DDMG moisturizer at night. When I use the jojoba oil in this context, it really works wonders for my skin. I would just recommend to anyone that you ease into it, because otherwise you could be facing disaster. :)

Original review: Oh my god, I wish, wish, wish I didn't have to write this review, because I SO wanted to love this product, but it completely destroyed my face!! I broke out everywhere, and I told myself it was just a purging phase and it would go away... and yes, it eventually did (after leaving scars), only to cause my face to turn into a huge, terrifying, PEELING mess! My skin was flaking all over. I finally gave up and went into my local Sephora (the next earliest derm appt. I could get was a month off) and the manager hooked me up with a Boscia Clear Complexion Kit, which healed my jojoba-induced skin problems in about 2 days. On top of that, even if I had loved the product, the packaging is TERRIBLE. The oil gets all over your hands and the bottle itself, even if you're trying to just use a few drops. Yuck. I will NEVER try this stuff again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No