January 29, 2015 | 1715 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2008 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Muuttaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've used this on my hair as an oil treatment before washing, and to tame flyaways on dry hair. It washes out easily, and leaves hair manageable. I needed something heavier for my frizzies, and so now I prefer shea butter instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2008 6:11:00 PM More reviews by hollyjackson

I like this stuff a lot. I was just curious if anyone has tried this mixed with pure tea tree oil?? does it work??

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 10:19:00 AM More reviews by smalltreasures

I can't say enough good things about this stuff. My birth control has recently caused my skin to become extremely dry, to the point where I can't put foundation on without becoming a flaky mess. I used about every moisturizer under the sun, but my flakes would still be there. Desperate, I started using jojoba oil, and I haven't turned back. This leaves my skin soft and supple, and it gets rid of all my flakes. I can actually wear make up now! Best of all, jojoba oil doesn't clog pores! It's a wax ester that mimics the natural oil balance of your skin. I also use jojoba oil for shaving. My legs are legs more silky smooth than ever! It's just downright amazing. I'll never use anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 2:59:00 AM More reviews by ColleenCarideo

This is pretty perfect. A few drops on my skin and the flakiness is gone. A few drops in my hair and its soft and shiny. I've pretty much thrown away all of my other hair serums (they made me break out anyway). My hair looks so much better with this stuff and its pretty amazing for me to find something that doesn't cause me to break out. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by jdruler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love jojoba oil. I've had acne for a few months now and have difficulty trying to maintain my skin's balance. My skin is not oily or dry either but when I wash it (even with just water), it feels too tight/dryish. I've been searching for a moisturizer in hopes to help with any dryness and every single moisturizer either still left my face dry or did not absorb thus making it greasy. Jojoba oil is my first oil that I applied to my face. It didn't help clear my acne and is no miracle product on my skin, but it does a great job at moisturizing, which is what I was looking for! I've also mixed it with some other oils to make my own moisturizer and I'm never going back to cream moisturizers again. These oils absorb well into the skin, make the skin supple and more balanced.

It's also great for hair. Put a few drops in after you get out of the shower and your will hair will be very soft (only a few drops seriously, otherwise your hair will be oily).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 9:30:00 PM More reviews by snickersforsnuggles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh, jojoba, my darling. Got this at Trader Joe's... it was around $9 for a 4oz bottle. At the time I thought that was ridiculously expensive - now I know better. It's many months later and the bottle is 3/4 full. This with daily use!

I use a few drops on my fingertips to massage into my lashes to take off my make up. I also use it all over my face to take my sunscreen off. A few drops is all it takes, seriously. I also like it as a lash conditioner. It doesn't have a noticeable scent and I find it moderately moisturizing (I have dry, non-sensitive, non-acne prone skin). I can't compare this to other brands since it's the first one I've tried, but to be honest, I will repurchase Desert Essence when I run out. In 2010.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Cheekbones

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm 61 with dry red sensitive skin and about nuts trying to find a good moisturizer that does the job without making me redder. So I tried the jojoba and it does absorb after a few minutes. Leaves my skin softer, not redder or irritated at all. after I let it on a few minutes, my makeup went on smoothly too. I will write back and let you know if it breaks me out after a week or so of using.
Update Update Update

My skin started to itch after using the jojoba for a few days, and dry patches came back. I am going to try Cetaphil next.

Did not like Cetaphil. Also, it has parabens. Now I use St. Ives Collagen/Elastin facial moisturizer with one or two drops of almond oil mixed into it in my palm when applying. If your skin is not dry, you won't need the extra almond oil.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by jbeers

I have been waiting to review this product until I had a routine down that was perfect and well, after 3 bottles I think I have this down to a science. I have had very, very bad skin. Forever. So bad that I have taken Accutane twice and most recently tried spiro and retin-a. Nothing worked to completely clear me up. Then I read about Jojoba here, googled it, and went that day to Trader Joes. I will never be without this product. Hands down, this has completely changed my skin. Even hormonal breakouts are a distant memory.

So here is the thing. I started out just using it as a nighttime moisturizer and things improved, but I was still breaking out. It wasn't until I decided to get super simple that I cleared up completely. I use jojoba as my only cleanser and moisturizer both morning and night. At night, I apply generously and wash it all off once (sometimes using a washcloth to steam it off) and then put another generous coat on and leave it on. In the morning, I put another generous coat on and then wash it off until I can feel a slight film of it.

I finish up with sunscreen (Sofina lucent -which can be drying, so this is the perfect counterbalance) and SKII airtouch spray on foundation (love it!) and I can honestly say that my skin has never looked better. I just wish I had known about this years ago. Why don't dermatologists recommend this stuff?!?

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by Jane4Jones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have supper oily skin. Usually, 30 mins after putting on my make-up, I see oil beginning to form along my t-zone. An hour after wearing make-up, my face glows from excessive oiliness. Before, I had to buy tons of facial blotting tissue and carry powder around four touching up every hour. I had tried oil mattifying lotions, none of them worked. I read the reviews about jojoba oil and decided to purchase the Desert Essence brand. I donít' know how it works but after three days, the oiliness on my face has been controlled by 80%. My face is still oily but not as much as before. I mix three drops of jojoba oil in my morning and evening moisturizer, let it soak in and then apply my make up. I look fabulous all day.

Updated Review: I have been using this product for about three months and just recently stopped. It has controlled my oiliness, which is what I wanted but my face now is beginning to look a bit dry though it feels very soft. I use it twice a day -- two drops in my facial moisturizer. I think I will cut down to two drops once a day and see if that helps my skin remain naturally dewy looling without looking too oily. Otherwise, its a terrific product. No other product has ever been able to control my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by spytz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been using this for about two months. One thing I can definitely say is that, for me & many, many others, Jojoba Oil almost proves that you don't need all those chemicals & added 'vitamins x y z etc' that other moisturisers contain for your skin to improve. It's all just a gimmick seriously.
Throughout my 2 months ignoring my normal moisturiser and using this, I can say that it has improved my skin tone in terms of evening it out. It has not aggravated the blackheads on my t-zone. I'm inclined to say that the amount of blackheads have actually reduced by about 50%. When combined with my sunscreen and a little tinted moisturiser around my eyes, my skin does look very dewy and healthy.
I apply roughly two drops of Jojoba mornings & evenings after I cleanse my face. Using a large amount as I have found out, leaves a thin layer of oil on the skin, which as a result may take quite some time for the skin to soak up.
As much as there are many positives to the oil, it also strung along with it some negatives. Using the oil on my forehead did cause a collection of spots around there, which I thought would heal quickly (like a lot of people say, the occasional pimple that popped up because of jojoba, healed quickly). However unfortunately, they didn't. So I've cut down the amount of jojoba I use around there to a TINY amount, and I'm happy to say that the spots are gradually disappearing.
Another -ve was using a jojoba around my eyes - left me with puffy eyes in the morning (the type you get after crying your eyes out the night before for whatever reason). Not good. So I've started using only TINY amounts there and have not had that problem since.
I would say to not rely on Jojoba solely as the only hope for amazing skin because good skin is a result of many factors. i.e hereditary, sleep pattern, diet etc etc.
OK before I kill your eyes with all this text, all in all Jojoba is worth the money(for most people). Obviously Jojoba will not suit everyone. Jojoba > other branded moisturisers for those people's skin it works on because it is natural. Why spend money on man-made chemicals when you can have equal goodness/even better goodness from something natural?

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No