October 24, 2014 | 1813 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by martiyates

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Unfortunately,this product did nothing but cause my skin problems. While I have sensitive skin, I hadn't had any problems for several months. In fact, it was looking better than it had in some time. I'd been using Ren calendula cleanser and Derma-E DMAE serum and was looking for a product to add some extra moisture to my skin. After applying the jojoba oil after cleansing before bed for a few days, I developed dry patches of pimples on my chin. Even after I stopped using it, my skin was itchy and irritated for almost a week, and the patches on my chin are still not normal. It may be that I have an allergy to this product. In general, though I was surprised that it wasn't all that moisturizing even though it seems so at first. I don't recommend it, but obviously it works for a lot of folks...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by mrsvixen89

All i can say is WOW! I just bought some 100% pure Jojoba oil yesterday hopeing to find somthing for my troublesome acne prone skin and dry damaged hair and i think i found my HG...i think. Last night i applied a little to my hair because of whatever i use, nothing keeps my hair moisturized without weighing it down. I have other hair oils but it seems that when i use it and wrap my hair at night with a silk scarf, my hair is still dry in the morning but when i woke up this morning, my hair was so shiny, soft and not weighed down and my scalp wasnt itcy like usual! Im so happy. I bought the NOW brand and it was $9.99 at GNC for a 4 fl.oz bottle and it was the only one left plus they werent getting anymore in for a while so i bought it . I havent tried it on my face yet but i will tonight, im just begging that it wont break me out too badly because ive read that it will cause a few zits because of its removing the impurities but i can live with that. Im just trying to find a dropper bottle because when i apply it to my scalp, i dont want it to gush out :)

UPDATE: My hair is looking so much healthier since i started using this. Its much more softer, shinier,and much more easy to manage. Ive been using it on my face at night as a moisturizer but its only one been about a week and i am getting a few zits as it was mentioned to happen but im not giving up on it, I LOVE JOJOBA OIL!
UPDATE 2: Im not using this on my face anymore, my face was clear for 3 days of not using this and when i put it on one night, i had 6 new zits the next morning. Tried to wait it out but i saw no improvement.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by smontema

I broke out using this, as did a few other MUA-ers. I tried just two drops on a damp face, or mixed into my moisturizer. Still, my face became acne-riffic. I gave it about 4 other tries, and I'd get the same results - brand new breakout, and several, rather impressive, scars. *shrugs* Jojoba oil just didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: So, even after my horrible response to this stuff, the lemming in me just wouldn't die, so I decided to give it one more try, and now I love it. I think the problem was that I was trying to cleanse with it (and only it), moisturize with it, etc., which made my face both flaky and oily at the same time. What I do now is cleanse/remove makeup with a mixture of safflower oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil, and follow it up with my regular Paula's Choice cleanser. I also mix two drops of jojoba oil and one drop of tea tree oil into my Clinique DDMG moisturizer at night. When I use the jojoba oil in this context, it really works wonders for my skin. I would just recommend to anyone that you ease into it, because otherwise you could be facing disaster. :)

Original review: Oh my god, I wish, wish, wish I didn't have to write this review, because I SO wanted to love this product, but it completely destroyed my face!! I broke out everywhere, and I told myself it was just a purging phase and it would go away... and yes, it eventually did (after leaving scars), only to cause my face to turn into a huge, terrifying, PEELING mess! My skin was flaking all over. I finally gave up and went into my local Sephora (the next earliest derm appt. I could get was a month off) and the manager hooked me up with a Boscia Clear Complexion Kit, which healed my jojoba-induced skin problems in about 2 days. On top of that, even if I had loved the product, the packaging is TERRIBLE. The oil gets all over your hands and the bottle itself, even if you're trying to just use a few drops. Yuck. I will NEVER try this stuff again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2008 3:46:00 AM More reviews by kellbell007

LOVE<33333

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2008 5:04:00 PM More reviews by shiz197

I wouldn't use this as a moisturizer as it makes my skin very uncomfortable and itchy. I also suspect that it makes me breakout but I didn't use it long enough to find out for real after all the warning signs. I also tried to use it as a makeup remover but again it feels very icky afterwards.

However, I'm still giving it a high rating for its use as a leave-in hair conditioner! =D Just 2-4 drops, rub it between my palms and running or patting it through my hair sorts out the frizziness. Keeps my hair soft and gives it a nice shine too.

The packaging makes you pour out more oil than you need so it gets pretty messy too. The only reasons why I wouldn't buy this product again is because I've found another organic jojoba oil brand with better packaging, same price but twice the amount and works the same.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by chicredress

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Sadly I reacted badly from this pretty quickly, rashy/pimply on my cheeks. Nothing really to say other than that, I wish it was the miracle for me that is it for so many. In general I have no issues with oils or even mineral oil, so this was definitely a reaction of some sort and not just clogging.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by caramel87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 6/7/09:
I've stopped using this about a month or more ago b/c it just stopped working for me and was actually making my skin worse (hence it's down from 5 to 3 lippies). Oily in some parts with dry patches in others, increased milia - everything! I've moved on.

ORIGINAL:
I'm blessed with skin that's basically sensitive to everything! I break out when using any 'cone derivatives, glycerin, or oils. Jojoba oil is the only product that moisturizes my face and keeps the pimples away. It still clogs some of my pores and stirs up a bit of milia under my eyes, but seriously, this is the only thing my face tolerates. I love that I can control the level of moisture/thickness/oiliness by adding some water to a drop or two of Jojoba oil before smoothing it on my face. So I don't need a moisturizer for summer and another for winter, I can use this year round and control how heavy it is as desired/needed. I don't think this particular brand makes jojoba oil that's better than what any other brand makes, but it's the one I find all around town and that's why I buy it. The bottle may seem expensive at first (small bottle for about $10) but it lasts forever. Thanks MUAers for introducing me to this great product! ... P.S. It's also wonderful when used as an oil-based makeup remover!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 7:33:00 AM More reviews by s0fieee

I use benzoyl beroxide and my face used to got verry very dry and flaky then i bought jojoba oil and it's soo smooth. i put 3 drops and mix it with my aloe vera moisturizer and my skin looks pefect.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using Jojoba for quite awhile now. My best friend has suffered from cystic acne since she went through puberty (she's 52 now!). She's tried everything, and has been going to increasingly pricey dermatologists for years now. Jojoba was the first thing she has put on her face that actually seems to help the acne. She is gushing over this. For me? I use it on my face and hair all the time. I think it's amazing for mature skin. It seems to teach the skin to behave. I cut some info out about it, and you might see why it's got some of the great properties it seems to have. Cheers!

Jojoba oil adopts many of the properties of human sebum when used on the skin or hair of humans. Sebum is a fatty substance released by the sebaceous glands, found in most areas of the body except the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. This sebum waterproofs the skin, keeps it from getting dry and cracked, and inhibits the growth of unwanted bacterias and other micro-nasties on the skin.

In light of the similarities between sebum and jojoba oil, the most common use of jojoba oil is as a rich moisturizer for the skin. It quickly restores elasticity to skin and can be used neat as a topical application for this purpose.

Most common bacteria and skin fungi canít survive in an environment where they are exposed to jojoba oil. Thatís right, jojoba oil was found to kill the ever lurking staphylococcus (infects wounds and food) in just over an hour of being in its vicinity. A pretty impressive feat!

Dermatological tests on jojoba oil reveal that it increases the suppleness of skin by 45% when used, with this effect still noticeable eight hours after application. Topical application of jojoba oil morning and night to skin would therefore noticeably improve skin condition in the long term. Ageing beauties the world over rejoice! If used regularly on the skin, jojoba oil reduces superficial facial lines by up to 30%.

Jojoba oil also acts as an anti-inflammatory on the skin due to it containing myristic acid, so jojoba oil is a good choice for sufferers of psoriasis, eczema, dandruff and other itching, irritating skin conditions where the skin becomes inflamed. Jojoba does not aggravate conditions like acne, since it functions to break down sebum build ups in clogged pores.

87 out of 87 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No