April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by pupiq

I have oily skin, which sometimes goes dryer. i don't use it on the whole face/body, only on areas which need extra attention: under eyes, lips, knees, cuticles, hands, irritated skin an so on. To me it smells nice, soothes skin, makes it very soft, it never made my skin worse, it always is very calming. Just use it in very spare amounts and rub it well. To me it smell okay.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2009 8:29:00 AM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is Holy Grail material. I was getting bumps after shaving. My legs were so itchy too. I tried a lot of lotions and creams, but Nivea cream in a jar did the trick for me. It doesn't sting when applying. It acts as a great barrier and moisturizer. Love the jar since it travels well--no worries about it leaking out into your purse or luggage. Since it worked so well on my legs, I've been using a small amount on my face in the am and pm. It's really helping my skin during these frigid winter months. Inexpensive and a light fragrance.

Edit: Also great for the neck, especially if you are prone to skin tags or irritation due to turtle necks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm upset that I forgot to buy more backups of these when I lived in Germany for a couple months. I have very dry hands and skin in general, and after showering I would slather this on. As a Californian girl, this saved my skin from cracking and flaking. The scent is pleasant, and the creme is smooth. I use it on body only, since my face is acne-prone. It's probably the thickest creme ever, and only a small bit is needed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2009 10:32:00 PM More reviews by yshah0621

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

NASTY. Okay, if you are a fisherman in the atlantic ocean or something like the guys in those Neutrogena commercials, this might be for you. But for regular old people like me with winter skin, this was way way way way too greasy.

it is soo hard to rub in, and it leaves a thick coating on your skin. it gets stuck all over your hands just getting it out of the container.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2009 5:12:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

This thick white creme is good for dry patches and is alright for the face. I haven't experienced any problems or breakouts since adding this to my nightly routine a couple of weeks ago. It's cheap, smells good, and moisturizes well, so I will be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2009 10:44:00 PM More reviews by CyGraham

So, I was a sceptic at first when I first read the reviews for this. Especially when it was compared to the miracle moisturizer, Creme De La Mer. So, curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a tin (the European version) and decided to give it a shot. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the results. It really made my face noticeably soft/smoother. I've been using it now for about two weeks, along with my other night time moisturizers. And am pretty pleased with the results. I also use it not only on my face and neck, but feet and body as well. I love the smell and it really does do what so many people have raved about. Definately my HG moisturizer!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Instantly recognizable, as it's in a darkish blue container that just says "Nivea Creme." A design classic. There are several sizes of tub - some plastic, some metal - and a medium-small tube. It's cheap (even if you're importing it from afar: most of your costs will be shipping and duties, the product itself is peanuts). A big tin will last you forever, and not go off: I've never used up a tin, only ever lost it or given it away.

The cream is white and creamy, quite thick. Needs to be rubbed in: it won't just absorb on its own. It is scented, I think entirely with essential oils - and it does smell lovely and reassuring: milky, vanilla, orange, lavender, chamomile - and that archetypal "baby" scent. Maybe this smells pleasantly of baby because so many babies wear this, and it's such an old cream that many other baby products smell like it?

4 lippies as a body cream, but only 1 as a facial moisturiser. I've bought it again many times over the decades for the former purpose, and would never buy it for the latter, as I'd never use this as a regular moisturiser. I have only ever used this on my face when in the Alps, for sticking on a layer to act as a barrier between your skin, a balaclava, and Arctic temperatures (I'd do the same with my hands, but with gloves).

Or maybe as a temporary mask (i.e. wash it off after however long, 10 min or whatever). But hey, it's entirely up to you what you do with it, as it's your cream after all!

I've used Nivea Blue since I was a kid, in Europe, as it was the regular, easily available, cheap, non-irritating *body* cream on the European market. Later - and recently - mainly just used on feet. And on burns. The sort of thing you keep in your cupboard, just in case: along with first-aid stuff. And that's the case for most people I know in Europe who have it: and for many of us, we also like it because the smell recalls childhood.

To be honest, outside the US and MUA it isn't very common for this to be used on the face. Speaking from having bought and used this when living in Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, and the UK; and when staying in Denmark, Greece, the Netherlands, and Spain. So I've seen where it is placed in shops (and which shops) and how other people use it, and have some experience of how it's talked about and, well, its general cultural perception.

I tried to think of a hypothetical reversal of the situation. A US equivalent, that's cheap and standard for body use, AND that we don't have here in Europe; I guess something like Gold Bond, Aquaphor, or Curel occupies the same ecological niche (and the price is more like the CVS version...)? Sorry, but that's the approximate level of it here! Not to knock it, mind you: it's still a classic.

And don't shoot me if this now creates European lusts for American basics ... but surely half the attaction is the lure of the exotic and less than readily available?

INGREDIENTS (European version): Water, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit, TM), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 2:29:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

It's a classic for a reason: excellent on very dry patches, soothing, non-irritating. Smells nice too: comforting, calming, reassuring; milky, vanilla, orange, lavender, chamomile - and that archetypal "baby" scent. Maybe this smells pleasantly of baby because so many babies wear this, and it's such an old cream that many other baby products smell like it?

Anyhoo. Instantly recognizable, as it's in a darkish blue container that just says "Nivea Creme." There are several sizes of tub (plastic or metal), and a medium-small tube. A big tin will last you forever, and not go off: I've never used up a tin, only ever lost it or given it away. It's cheap (in Europe, anyway - and, forgive me, but bog standard). The cream itself is white and creamy, quite thick. Needs to be rubbed in: it won't just absorb on its own.

Excellent on feet, especially the heels. On elbows and knees. Occasionally on hands, though I found it too thick, and have several other hand-creams that (a) are easier to apply and (b) keep working for at least as long.

I'm reviewing this as a body moisturiser (4 lippies) and as a face one (1): I have only ever used this on my face when in the Alps, as I didn't have any of my more usual Vaseline to hand, for sticking on a layer to act as a barrier between your skin, a balaclava, and Arctic temperatures (I'd do the same with my hands). I was tempted to say you've got to daft, or to have seriously wrecked skin - but maybe Nivea Blue would indeed be well worth trying, to be fair, if you had exceptionally dry, cracked skin. Same goes for many other creams that might more usually be deployed on hands, feet, and elbows?

I guess if your skin was exceptionally dry and cracked you could use it on your face; or maybe as a temporary mask (i.e. wash it off after however long, 10 min or whatever). But hey, it's entirely up to you what you do with it, as it's your cream after all!

To be honest, outside the US and MUA this isn't the usual use - and certainly not here in Europe! Speaking from having bought and used this when living in Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, and the UK; and when staying in Denmark, Greece, the Netherlands, and Spain. So I've seen where it is placed in shops (and which shops) and how other people use it, and have some experience of how it's talked about and, well, its general cultural perception.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Needed an unscented lotion to put in my bag. Hate trying to coordinate scents when I am running out the door. I usually carry a clutch (purse) so any large or bulky lotions won't work for me. I've seen this before & heard the German version was great but since we only have the Mexican version here I didn't bother to get it. But my need for lotion (& the cute tin) won me over. Surprisingly I really like this. I wouldn't use this on my face like many other reviewers but its great on my hands. Slightly greasy at first but then it soaks in nicely. My hands are super soft after using this. I will definately repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by FiddleSticks

I love this product! (Nivea Soft Creme) It is light and it makes my skin soooooo soft :] My face glows under the sunlight not because it's oily? It's because it moisturized it! &The travel size, is adorable and cute.