April 20, 2014 | 930 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2005 1:01:00 PM More reviews by minyuette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This will always be a classic scent. Light, feminine, and it doesn't strangle the people around you.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2005 8:40:00 PM More reviews by madamoisellemoi

This is quite possibly confidence in a bottle. Whenever I apply the parfum, I feel transformed, more "womanly." Perhaps that sounds corny, but a woman should apply a fragrance that reaches in and grabs the true power of womanhood and brings it out for the world to feel. It's a subtle, yet powerful scent which commands its power as the most treasured in the world. If you want to feel special, or make your S.O. feel special, buy or try this fragrance--if you're ready for it, it will be the best decision you've ever made.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2005 2:04:00 AM More reviews by lujayn

i just started wearing chanel no. 5 . i love it . i makes me smell soooooo sexy , makes me wanna kiss myself..excuse me....(kiss kiss kiss) as i was saying, it so sensual this is my scent, for sure. i only wear it to bed i think its to sexual for day time. it has an overtly sexual aroma, kinda slutty , but i like it none the less .

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2005 3:20:00 AM More reviews by amykelley

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very strong and almost bitter (a little like hospital disinfectant) for the first hour or so, but then it dries down to a wonderful clean, soapy vanilla scent. Shockingly, even my husband who hates Coco likes this. If you can get past the initial unpleasant blast, the fragrance becomes quite nice.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2005 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Nomisita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Chanel No 5 is one of the great heartbreaks of my life. Well, okay, that's a little dramatic, but what I'm getting at is - I am a perfume junkie. I love perfume. I own dozens and wear a different one every day. I love learning about the history of perfume, and I know that no REAL perfume collection would be complete without Chanel No 5 - but I can't stand it. It smells like bathroom cleaner on me. I'm so disappointed. I still give it three lippies because, well, it's Chanel No 5. But I don't ever see myself owning or wearing this.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/1/2005 10:24:00 AM More reviews by nicole1991

*CHOKING* literally... CHOKING!! This scent SUFFOCATES me! I'm surprised Marilyn Monroe didn't DIE becuz of this when she went to bed with it on!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2005 5:57:00 PM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This is the ultimate example of a fragrance that's basically nice but is just so overused and imitated that I can't stand to smell it anymore.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2005 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Meg2005

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It seems to me that some perfumes are liable to become the victims of their own success, and this perhaps more than most. It invariably reminds us of someone or something we have known before, and so necessarily we end up prejudiced, either against or in favour of it.

My own association is certainly a happy one. My grandmother wore it and my mother equally used to wear it - in pure parfum form, when she was about to go out with my father. She had an elaborate, elegant way of taking the crystal square-shaped flacon out of its large, heavy carton box, the epitome of a getting-ready-for-a-grand-evening ritual.
And definitely, it smelled divine, even to my humble, ignorant 5-year-old nose.

Growing up, I remembered this scent only too well and was in awe of it to such a degree that I did not dare wear it until I was 29 - just gives you an idea of how timid I was! - I clearly recall my pride at finally wearing it, like a supremely feminine badge of honour, and feeling that perhaps, at last, I was indeed worthy of it.
I think, in retrospect, that probably I was right to wait.
No way I could have pulled it off earlier. This is not a young
girl's perfume. You have to sort of DESERVE it, having developed that confident, joyful, unapologetic, womanly aroma that comes only with age. You must understand what being a woman is all about, and still keep some of your childlike, youthful, enthusiastic innocence intact.
Talking about perfumes for "duchesses, bourgeoises, and cocottes" (it will take me several centuries to get past the unmitigated snobbery of that statement), this is a fragrance fit for a Queen. Totally dignified, yet understated and respectful of others; regal, yet warm and approachable; fully conscious of its own worth, yet humorous, unpretentious and unstuffy; mature, yet remembering just what it felt like being sixteen; stunningly attractive, yet immaculate, flawless, perfectly clean.

I've loved it ever since I first discovered it, and often wear it as an evening scent, hardly ever during the day. I own it in both EDT and PARFUM forms, but do not care for the EDP,
which I find rather linear, too aggressively aldehydic, and lacking in compelxity.

Reading some of your reviews I was impressed by the strength of emotion this perfume commands, and felt, I must admit, sympathetic to both camps.

This fragrance goes bad or "turns" easily in warm weather, so I should think it's possible that some of you may have been unlucky, sampling a bad bottle.
Much as I admire it, a musty smell of a spoiled perfume is beyond even my powers of endurance. - And just to be on the safe side, I keep my entire Chanel No. 5 collection in the fridge, for a full 6 months, starting in early May
and ending with the the first cool days of blissful October.

Secondly, I have found that Chanel No. 5 (Made in the USA) and the same scent (Made in France) are NOT the same.

The American edition has a bizarre top note that I do not understand, a buttery, almost cloying accord. It improves after a while and becomes the dear familiar scent I know and appreciate, but why go through the agonies of that first stage? - - - Chanel, are you hearing me? - - -

The French version however is true to form, the first accord of the top notes being
bitter-sweet, seriously grown-up, supremely elegant, before developing into the famous flowery, powdery bouquet of rose, jasmine, iris, violet, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and amber, that has conquered the world.
This is happiness in a bottle for me, I am always delighted to wear it again, but never, ever, overdo it - just for that reason. The world has seen so much of Chanel No. 5, that rather than live in dread of becoming associated with the million clichés
it evokes, I prefer the lightest, most effervescent trail of scent around me that I can more easily make my own, recognizing my treasured memories of it.
The added bonus is feeling secure in the knowledge that this is one privileged, protected area where TIME does indeed stand still. I confess there is some solace to it, in this fast-changing, frantically-moving, impossibly-paced world of ours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ADDENDUM: My mother is at this moment valiantly struggling to regain her strength, following a stroke. It is to her that I would like to dedicate this review.

50 out of 61 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2005 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tippie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never worn Chanel no.5, my younger sister wore it when she was in high school.She would liberally spray herself in our bedroom and for hours the scent permeated the room.I did not care for it,but did not want to say anything,I let her enjoy it,even though it was rather strong.Smelled "nice" on her, too mature though.Thankfully she moved on to lighter fresher frags. and these days wears anything with green tea.She's come a long way!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2005 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Flippit

I've only tried the edt and would like to try different concentrations of this. The edt starts out VERY sharp on me. I dabbed some onto my wrist, sniffed, and my nose and throat actually stung. This lasts for about 20 minutes and then there's a lovely, soft, ambery floral. It smells refined, unpretentious, and natural.