Chanel No.5

3.5

on 12/31/2005 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this fragrance. It smells so elegant, but sexy at the same time. I purchased a small EDP version of this to try and loved it. It does not smell like an "old lady" fragrance at all. I wear this fragrance with my pumps and feel just the right age, lol. It feels so luxurious on, as though I am being enveloped in layers of the finest cashmere. This is a must have for any fragrance collection.

on 12/26/2005 4:30:00 PM

This is my favourite fragrance for both day and nighttime. I use the EDP, I spray it on lightly, it is very easy to overdose this perfume! It's a balanced floral that feels really sexy, luxurious and elegant without being rough or overpowering. I do understand why some feel that this fragrance might have a bit of an "old-lady" feel to it, but I always get compliments on how fresh, elegant and unique I smell with this on. On me it seems to dry down to this subtle and clean, yet sexy, scent that lingers forever and ever. I can see myself still wearing this years from now. And I love the simple yet timeless bottle as well.

on 12/25/2005 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My mom wears Chanel No. 5 on occasion, and I've always been fascinated with the scent of it. It is the definitive fragrance for me, any time that I think of perfumes. I'm in college, so I think it's a little too mature for me at the moment, but it smells lovely on my mother. It's subtle, but I can always tell when someone is wearing it. I love the soft floral notes in this scent.

on 12/19/2005 11:22:00 AM

Chanel No.5 is my mother's favourite fragrance - but she doesn't own it and I have never smelled it on her; she says that she loves it on other people, but can't wear it herself. Apparently, it doesn't work with her body chemistry - tragic, isn't it?

This means that I've always been aware of it's existence, but I have never sampled it myself before, and I've never really thought of it as a familiar scent. Mother picked up a sample of the EdP for me the other day, though, when she was out Christmas shopping, and when I sprayed it on my wrist I was baffled by the immediate sense of recognition it brought on - oh, it's this one. I know this.

So, it works for me. It's soft, mellow, intensely feminine and quite beautiful; I can see why it is the iconic classic it is. I don't associate it with anyone in particular; it just reminds me very much of something familiar that has more to do with a collective of people than any single person - it reminds me of the women in my mothers family, of my grandmother (although she has always worn one of the classic Guerlains - Shalimar, if I remember right) and all the aunts in the generation before hers.

Somehow, Chanel No.5 brings on a sense of family and tradition for me, more than anything else. I must have smelled this a thousand times, on a thousand women. It's beautiful on my skin, as stated, but I can't imagine wearing it; it's not the kind of fragrance I fall for, and, more importantly, even if I did I wouldn't feel like a person of my own wearing this. I don't think I could make Chanel No.5 my own. continued >>

on 12/15/2005 1:54:00 PM

This is my moms fav. fragrance. she has worn it since i was a baby. On her, it has a pleasing smell, well at least not so in your face as it smells from the bottle. This is supposed to be a classic, but i just dont care for it. Perhaps its because i associate it with older women.

on 12/13/2005 9:07:00 PM

it was the first perfume i ever used and i still love it. i will always come back to this, no matter what.
when in doubt, i use chanel no.5

on 12/13/2005 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

How could anyone not feel fabulous with this captivating classic? What's not to love? It's still around because it very clearly does the trick, folks. The Sensual Elixer is also delightful. Classics are timeless, cheap is not. My mom had a joke about girls she'd pass on the streets of Manhatten (& pitifully naive ones elsewhere), who thought if 1 drop's good, 10 is even better. That's what a shower is for, not fine perfume. It's like jewelry or art. If you need think you need to wear or decorate with all of your nice things at once, you'll start to look like you need to for some tragic reason. It doesn't look good. The same principle is with fragrances. A little goes a long way. Less is more. Wherever I've lived, whomever I've come in close contact with, this is without exception the scent people spontaneously adore. And sexy? OMG! If you don't know why it's the best thing many of us wear to bed or en route, you might never get it. Not that it's not totally appropriate day or night anywhere else, however; it is, unlike far too many scents. Unsolicited compliments without fail...not too many, though, that would make one suspect something ;o (I'd never ask someone but my closest family members about their opinions - but, they too love my beloved 5). Works for them, & it works for me - it's a no-brainer. A literally awesome combination with some subtle, lovely floral undertones. I'm a fragrance junkie & will always be one, but this will always be my favorite.

on 12/12/2005 12:03:00 AM

I got this perfume as a gift and it smells TERRIBLE. i know most people are inlove with it,but it is too strong and in your face.i have three words for this YUCK YUCK and YUCK!!!!

on 12/10/2005 4:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This fragrance starts out as a sparkling, bubbly scent (must be the aldehydes) and it made me say, "Hmmm...how interesting." But as soon as it settles, I also think it smells harsh. That's really the perfect word for it. When I first read the reviews here I couldn't understand how a perfume could be "harsh." Strong, yes. Sharp, also a yes. But harsh? What? But it is. I'll try to explain: sharp/strong scents make a beeline straight up my nasal passages, soft/subtle ones leisurely waft up. Chanel No. 5 barrels toward my face and hits the side of the nose, leaving a scrape or two, thereby making its presence known. Not the headache-inducing pierce of a sharper fragrance, but it's sort of like a "noisy" perfume that smacks into you.However, I must agree w/ MUAer ang5els (see her review below) that on the right person, this is a "beautifully elegant soft sexy skinscent..." Very accurate, as this is how No. 5 smells on my [oh-so-lucky] mother. Also, I adore the chic, simple bottle. continued >>

on 11/30/2005 6:42:00 PM

My second favorite to my Chanel 19!

Popular Fragrances