November 25, 2014 | 1804 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2005 12:03:00 AM More reviews by s4ssyfatgurl

I got this perfume as a gift and it smells TERRIBLE. i know most people are inlove with it,but it is too strong and in your face.i have three words for this YUCK YUCK and YUCK!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2005 4:53:00 PM More reviews by mudpud

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This fragrance starts out as a sparkling, bubbly scent (must be the aldehydes) and it made me say, "Hmmm...how interesting." But as soon as it settles, I also think it smells harsh. That's really the perfect word for it. When I first read the reviews here I couldn't understand how a perfume could be "harsh." Strong, yes. Sharp, also a yes. But harsh? What? But it is. I'll try to explain: sharp/strong scents make a beeline straight up my nasal passages, soft/subtle ones leisurely waft up. Chanel No. 5 barrels toward my face and hits the side of the nose, leaving a scrape or two, thereby making its presence known. Not the headache-inducing pierce of a sharper fragrance, but it's sort of like a "noisy" perfume that smacks into you.However, I must agree w/ MUAer ang5els (see her review below) that on the right person, this is a "beautifully elegant soft sexy skinscent..." Very accurate, as this is how No. 5 smells on my [oh-so-lucky] mother. Also, I adore the chic, simple bottle. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2005 6:42:00 PM More reviews by dewdropsjd

My second favorite to my Chanel 19!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2005 11:43:00 AM More reviews by moogiemyer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recieved my MEGA bottle of Chanel parfum yesterday from my favorite man other than my husband-the UPS guy!I have enjoyed this fragrance from some of my very early memories as my kindergarten teacher,Mrs.Monk wore this. I loved her and would kiss her on the cheek each day before I got on the bus to go home. These were some of my most fond memories as a child. I'm afraid that Chanel #5 will always be attached to that wonderful kindergarten teacher. I will say that the opening of this fragrance is full of a chemical mess also known as aldehydes. This quickly subsides to a melange of floral notes of the white variety.Is this old-fashioned?YUP. Do I think old-fashioned is beautiful in its own right?YUP. If old fashioned nostalgic perfumes are something you enjoy and all its nostalgic reputation, then this will be for you.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2005 7:51:00 PM More reviews by elvira88

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I will never understand what all of the hoopla is about this perfume. I think because of the name Chanel, it tricks you into thinking that it smells fabulous. This is one of the worst fragrances there is. Accidently dropped a bottle on my bathroom floor and my upstairs smelled for days. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2005 5:16:00 PM More reviews by SouthDakotaPrincess

I may just be too young to get the greatness of this perfume (I'm 22), but it smells like wretchedly harsh "old lady" perfume to me. You know, that really nasty "perfume"-smelling perfume? In fact, all of the Chanel fragances seem to smell like that to one degree or another. Great clothes, horrible perfumes. I don't get it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2005 1:11:00 PM More reviews by clb97p

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought that aldehydes were not for me, but discovered that I can wear them with Chanel no. 5 EDT. I need to stress that on me, the EDT formulation is vastly superior to the EDP and even the parfum. It is fresher, lighter, and has a bit more sparkle to it, whereas the EDP and parfum can become a bit too powdery for my taste.

No. 5 smells nostalgic, sexy, complex and comforting all at the same time. I love to spritz it on while watching a BBC drama series or right before going to bed. It's a classic, and while it may not work on everyone, every woman should at least try it and see how it makes her feel. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2005 7:59:00 PM More reviews by ang5els

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

No. 5, How I wish you liked me.

I have had a fascination (bordering on obsession)with No. 5 since I was in college and have bought and swapped away or thrown out (eek) more bottles of than I can count. I absolutely, positively love this sniffing from the bottle and I love the way it smells on others. After have trying relentlessly on and off for years to make this "mine" I have given up. Unfortunatley, it goes flat and sour on me. A colleague wears it and it is the most beautifully elegant soft sexy skinscent on her. I will always appreciate the beauty of this fragrance and understand why it is a classic. I will also keep a bottle around to sniff every once in a while.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2005 7:11:00 PM More reviews by raincheck

I really love Coco, but I don't like No. 5. It's a harsh, unpleasant chemical smell to me. However, the Sensual Elixir is nice.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2005 11:41:00 PM More reviews by shishilala

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought myself a small bottle of dab-on chanel 5 when I was in my twenties, in a 'right of passage' kind of way...

I hated it. I tipped it all into a bubble-bath one night just to use it up & for the hell of it.

I've matured now (!)

Could it be time to try it again? ...I think so.