Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

3.9

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 6% Titanium dioxide 5.6% Inactive ingredients: Aqua, Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Aluminum hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Magnesium sulfate, Parfum, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Water, Methylparaben, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipropylene glycol, Polyurethane, BHT, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77891, Mica

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I'd love to love this product, but it just doesn't do it for me. My HG foundation (teint innocence) was discontinued and I was told by the counter makeup artist that this was the closest thing. The coverage of this foundation is medium and blends very well. It did not break me out and looks amazing after application. I was told that this foundation would not have oxidation problem but I had issues with oxidation and foundation i got changed color 30 minutes into wearing (to darker shade + orange tinge) so I was very disappointed.

on 7/20/2011 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this foundation, the colors are true and if you are matched correctly then you will find that it blends into your skin seamlessly. Doesn't look cakey or fake, and will not make your skin oily or dry. Provides light-medium coverage, perfect for me when layered under MAC Prep and Prime Translucent Finishing Powder. My skin looks even and flawless! Definitely recommend for those who don't need a ton of coverage and just want to even out their skin tone and provide natural luminosity without oiliness.

on 7/18/2011 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am usually not a foundation wearer and often suffer from dehydrated sometimes flakey skin, so I thought that something as light as vitalumiere aqua would fit the bill. I really love the texture of this foundation as it is relatively creamy and very easy to apply with the fingers. I also don't think that I've ever had a foundation that is better matched to my skin tone - I use the shade b40 and sit somewhere between nc30 and nc35 in MAC, and this disappears into my skin (hallelujah).

Since the foundation is quite light, the coverage is relatively sheer - so if you have problem skin or significant redness I would suggest combining this with concealer.

The main drawback I have found is of course the rrp of $70-80 I think - which is ridiculously high in Australia as for all makeup, although it is not as dear as some others such as nars sheer glow, which retails for $100. However, I bought it online for about $55, so the price ended up being okay - considering revlon foundations cost around $30 here.

All in all I am in love with the texture and ease of use of this foundation. I would definitely recommend it for people who hate the caked on foundation look, but who are looking for something with more coverage than tinted moisturiser. It's also nice to have a little bit of luxury on your face everyday! I can definitely see myself repurchasing it.

on 7/17/2011 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love this foundation immensely. I have oily skin, and definitely sweat quite a bit in the summer. I stopped believing in miracles awhile ago, there is just nothing that can prevent my skin from getting shiny, but products that can last through being blotted 2 + times a day earn an A+ in my book. I always have trouble with foundations lifting off after I blot and leaving me splotchy looking, but this just looks as fresh as the morning I applied it. Of course I attribute some of my success with this product to my primer and powder, but even when I follow the same routine with other foundations none look as wonderful as this does at the end of the day. It is light and perfect for summer, and it just so happens the lightest pink toned shade works perfectly for me. The only negative for me is the bottle, I would love to be able to get a glimpse of how much product is left inside!

on 7/17/2011 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After sampling about 15 foundations, I finally found THE ONE for me in Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I have dry skin which means the little lines forming on my 40 year old face are accentuated with the wrong foundation. This is the first foundation to blend so flawlessly, and looks so natural, I can't even tell I am wearing anything. I was afraid the coverage wouldn't be enough as I had heard it was extremely sheer, but it covers my red cheeks, old acne scars and spots of discoloration perfectly. The VA is perfect for summer as it's extremely light and long lasting (even through vacations in steamy South Florida and Vegas). I use La Roche Posay SPF 15 to moisturize and Hourglass Primer underneath and set with either MUFE HD or MAC prep & prime powder. The Chanel SA told me I didn't need to set it with powder, but I just feel it gives a little bit of an edge to it as far as lasting power. It has photographed beautifully for me and I am so relieved to have found my HG. For a while there, I didn't feel like that was ever going to happen! I will have to see how this does for me in winter when my skin is really dry, but for now all is good!

on 7/17/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Immediately after trying this I was all set to go out and purchase this after trying a sample as it felt amazing going on and looked incredible, when I read that alcohol is very high up on the list of ingredients. Why spend all that money on something that will only damage your skin in the long run.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I wouldn't have purchased this expensive product myself, but I got it as a gift.
I hated it. I was really excited when I got it, because everyone seems to love it and I expected something miraculous. NOT !
The coverage is very light, which is good for the summer, but not when the staying power is almost zero. I wasn't happy the way it made my skin look like after applying. It looked like it just sat on top of my face like a sheer mask. After few hours it did exactly the same as the most of the other foundations do to my skin... it was completely disappeared from everywhere else than from the dry spots on my face. It sat on those parts making my face look patchy.
After I washed it off I noticed that my face looked horribly red with little red bumps all over. The next day those were gone, but I had few pimples appeared there.
I wanted to like this foundation, but it was a bad one.

on 7/16/2011 4:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've read several reviews for Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and the majority of the reviews stated that this particular foundation looks best when applied with the fingers. I tend to use more product when I use my fingers, but I'm not a huge fan of using my fingers because my dry hands will just soak up the product. I first moisturize my face using a little DDF Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew (after watching Goss' video about how its better to use a water based moisturizer with a water based foundation) and I apply the foundation like I normally would any foundation. I squeezed out a small amount and placed a dot on each cheek, nose, chin and forehead. Then, with my Sigma F80 brush, I lightly buffed it in my skin with small circular motions. I then placed a tiny bit more product on my cheeks to build the coverage and again, buffed it in with my brush.

The consistency is a bit different than any foundation I think I've tried. I figured because it's water based, it would be really thin and watery. It's incredibly light and has an airy, whipped texture. Once applied to the face, you can really tell it water based because it has that slight cooling sensation of water. The color seemed to oxidize slightly after a few minutes, but it didn't oxidize too dark, orange, etc. The color is perfect. I was a little surprised by the coverage. It evened out my skintone beautifully and even covered my blemishes pretty good. It's a light coverage and can be layered easily to medium coverage. The finish is a lovely illuminating satin. I'm wearing it right now and it still looks great after almost 7 hours, with the exception that my chin and nose has become a little shiny. Would definitely recommend trying it out! Oh, BTW I use B30 Beige Sable and I'm a MAC NC30, Guerlain Parure Extreme #3 & it's perfect!

on 7/16/2011 3:32:00 PM

I wouldn't call this a foundation but more of a tinted moisturizer b/c it is very watery and if you layer it, it can work as a foundation but would feel very greasy even if it is oil free. Really not a proper canvas for a makeup application, will make eyeshadow, blush, highlighter slip right off. Also, you need to shake the bottle at least a whole minute to mix well the substance in order to have the shade perfectly blended w/ a smooth application. Still, very watery. Didn't do anything to beautify my skin. Also, there is no shade light enough. I got it in BR20 and it was too dark pink and B10 was too dark yellow and the colors really do show even w/ one single layer. Even if the formula is oil free, it still feels very greasy and absolutely too moisturizing for summer. The only thing nice about it, is that it doesn't create any flakiness nor does it highlight any dry patches you may have when most foundations do... really similar to a tinted moisturizer. This was actually the only foundation that didn't accentuate pores or dry areas of the skin. If you find the right shade for you, then it could look nice the first hour... but if you wear it after a couple hours, it will start to get darker w/ oxidizing and could become greasy mixed w/ your skins natural face oils...so this is not good without touch ups every hour. Conclusion: This is definitely a tinted moisturizer and nothing close to a liquid foundation w/ the benefits of being quite natural --although containing alcohol which is not recommended for any skin. If you are looking for something similar w/ much better results, try the Dior Skin Nude...it is perfect and does all it claims to do, plus it i gives sheer, medium to full coverage w/ a color selection that start very fair w/ neutral undertones available + lasts several hours...the only downside is that it absolutely doesn't last very long b/f he product starts to expire and turn bad since this formula is mineral based w/ minimal chemicals or preservatives. Although healthier for the skin, you need to use it in less than 3 months tops. This is probably due to the ingredients which are supposed to be very natural based on minerals w/ less chemicals than the foundations in the other lines. Perhaps would work best and last longer when stored in a very cool place.

on 7/15/2011 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I feel like a party pooper writing this review, but oh well..

This is generally a good foundation. It feels very light, and super easy to apply. It has a sheer-medium coverage which is nice for the summer. I tried it in B30 and it goes perfectly with my *slightly* tanned Asian skintone.

What I don't like about this is that it is perfumed, and the scent smelled like cheap plastic today. It has a different scent to me everyday, lol. Also, it's water based, but I don't think it keeps my skin hydrated for long, and oil control is so-so. I much prefer my Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer, as the results are same, but Cliniques just feels better on my skin.

And last, but not least, the price is kind of severe, especially in Europe. Will not be purchasing this for now.