October 21, 2014 | 2040 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by SunshineAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this product. Gave me a nice light to medium build-able coverage. I have combination/oily skin. Natural-dewey finish that's kinda lit from within. Good enough staying power. About 8 hours without powder on top. I loved wearing this specially when going out at night. It photos beautifully. I really don't mind that it doesn't have a pump. This blends easier than sheer matte. A little goes a long way. I loved applying it with my fingers, it gave me a light coverage and natural finish. I also like using mac 187 with this since it is more 'liquidy' you don't have to work quickly. The only bad thing is that it broke me out. Otherwise I would definitely repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by VanRaamsdonk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finish: For my combo/oily skin, the finish can depend on the weather. In the winter, I'd say the finish is semi-matte. In the summer, I'd say it's more of a satin finish. I absolutely LOVE the finish of it! It looks natural. One thing that should be noted is that if you have dry patches on your face or flakies from a Retin-A regimen, sheer glow will probably cling to them. When my face was a wreck from the first month of taking retin-a, it clung to the flakies on my face, so I did switch foundations at that time. Then again, I find that the majority of foundations will stick to those areas anyways (particularly retin-a flakies).

Coverage: Medium to full, buildable. I love the coverage. It evens out my tone unevenness just right, without looking unnatural (mask like). When I'm out at night, I can build up the coverage to get more of a flawless, airbrushed look.

Wear: It wears pretty well, especially considering my skin type. The older I've become the oilier my face is. I'm say I'm combo skin in general, but I'm more combo in winter (oily through T-zone and normal on cheeks) but I'm oily in summer. I apply my foundation at 7:00AM and (in summer when I'm oily) I blot with tissue at around 2:00PM, and might blot again before I leave work (4:45) just to be sure I'm not going to get too shiny before hitting the gym. In winter, it wears even better (of course). It's not the longest lasting fdtn in the world (like Revlon Colorstay or EL Double Wear), but considering all of its other wonderful traits, it's still amazing. Also, it removes easily- that's one thing you WON'T get with extreme lasting fdtn's- those fdtn's have to power hosed off your face practically, but not NARS SG. My current routine to remove my NARS SG is to use Huggies Natural baby wipes (with aloe and vitamin e) and then follow up with my Olay Pro-X (similar to Clarisonic) and Aveeno Calming Foaming cleanser. NARS SG does not clog my pores at all.

Application: I've used filbert style fdtn brushes, the Beauty Blender sponge, MAC 109 (I found this brush to cause the Sheer Glow to stick MORE to drier areas), and the Simga F80 Flat Top Kabuki brush. My FAVORITE way of applying Sheer Glow is with my Sigma F80. Holy moly, that brush is the BOMB schnizzell (especially with NSG)- it's like they were meant for each other. Sigma F80 is to NSG as peanut butter is to jelly ;)

Dupes: It's been said that Neutrogena Healthy Skin is NARS SG dupe. I'd have to say... not exactly. I wore Neutro HS for a while. The differences between these two is that NHS doesn't wear as long, NHS offers only BEIGE and pink shades (not yellow like NSG), NHS has more moisture to it (I feel like) so it has a dewier finish on me in summer months and a satin finish on me in winter, making the coverage not quite as full as SG.

Price: $42 USD, which is expensive, but I love it SO much I don't mind the price. I would HATE this price if I had to buy two shades to mix, but there's such a great shade range, that I found a FLAWLESS match (which brings me to my next point)...

Shade Selection: Excellent amount of shades, but almost all shades in this line are yellow toned. My perfect matching shade is Fiji (my undertones are pretty yellow- NC25 in MAC for reference).

Packaging: Nice, classic type packaging, but I would love to see a pump on this product, especially considering the price (it should include one). NARS: please give us a pump on this product. :)

Scent: I've never noticed if there's a scent.

Overall: This is MY HG! I freaking LOVE this foundation and hells yes, I will repurchase this again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by elleLuv5

I've been using sheer glow for almost a year and I thought I'd already written a review for it!! This is definitely HG foundation for me. I wear punjab. I have dry skin which in the winter time can be extreme (flaky and crackly looking skin, I know gross!). I think this is a great foundation for us who unfortunately have dehydrated skin. However, for winter months you can't really rely on the sheer glow to give you that extra layer of moisture and hydration. The key then will be your moisturizer. Otherwise, you will end up having your dry skin appear flaky and cracking. I use EVOO and cetaphil cream underneath and both work great for me. No problems with coverage. A little goes a long way and it is buildable. It covers my little bit of redness on my left cheek. Also, it lasts all day without using a setting powder. It provides a nice satin, flawless finish. I like how I don't get a matte look, as someone with dry skin..the matte finish is just not for me. There's a tiny bit of dewy-ness to it which I love. It doesn't feel heavy and wears light. The bottle lasted me about 8 months. It's not cheap but definitely worth it especially if it lasts you that long! The no pump thing is definitely annoying as most have mentioned. It can get messy around the mouth of the bottle and inefficient. I really hope the change the bottle and include a pump as the current one is not hygienic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 2:24:00 AM More reviews by bubblysteph

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a nice foundation for my normal to dry skin though I doubt if it will be moisturizing enough for people with really dry skin. I think I will need some extra moisturizer if I use this during winter. Well, at least it stays put well during the hot and humid summer here. I'd consider this as a rather light foundation on my skin as when I have this foundation on my face, I won't have the "stuffy" feeling. Also, it doesn't oxidize on me and pretty much transfer-free as well. This gives sheer to medium buildable coverage with satin finish? This is not dewy and definitely not completely dead matte as well.

The major issue I have with this foundation is that it cakes on drier skin flakes. You may argue that most foundation does but my Cle de Peau Refining Fluid Foundation doesn't. Ok, I probably shouldn't complain as the CdP costs a bit more than twice of SG. Well, other than this and the stupid pour bottle packaging, I'm happy with this foundation and may repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by odubkids

Love this foundation, provides sheer coverage, but definitely can be built to heavy coverage without looking cakey.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by muffingrl

This is one of my favorite foundations in my collection. It gives a solid medium coverage and lasts for a reasonable amount of time. Application is smooth and easy. The finish is absolutely beautiful, very satiny and skinlike. The color match is better than most of my other foundations. I have a very yellow undertone and most yellow toned foundations are not yellow enough. I wear this in Light 5 Fiji, I do think I need to go up a shade though for summer. I prefer to wear this foundation during winter because it is slightly more hydrating and my winter dryness prolongs the wear of this foundation. At $42, this is not my everyday foundation, this is very much my "going out" foundation. I am near the end of my bottle though, and I don't quite want to repurchase just yet, but I will definitely do so in the future!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used the shade Ceylan when I'm my natural NC20 colour and mix Stromboli and Syracause when I'm tan (NC37/C4). Ceylan and Stromboli match my yellow tones nicely, and Syracause has a good mix of tan and peach tones, not pink or yellow or orange.

The texture is relatively quite thin but not watery, provides light-medium coverage (buildable) and evens out my skintone/covered redness. It feels nice and lightweight on my skin and looks natural...my skin but better. Infact, I think my skin looks really clear when I wear this, almost airbrushed. The finish is gives is a soft satin that gets more glowy as the day passes and the foundation mixes with your natural oils. It doesn't get greasy on me even if I don't use primer or setting powder.

However, there are some downfalls with this foundation. First of all, it can be rather streaky upon application even when moisturizing well beforehand. Second is the longevity - this is not a super long lasting foundation and will not hold up extremely well in warm weather. It transfers a lot aswell. Not something I'd expect when I pay nearly £30 for a foundation. The packaging is horrible aswell, but I refuse to pay an extra £5-6 for a pump.

Overall it's a nice foundation despite it's negatives. I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by enolf

Ever since my Christian Dior Fluide got discontinued (2009) I've been a bit lost. I'm not very good with the new checmical SPF that seems to be prevalent in ALL foundations (so annoying!!!) as it makes my face peel.

I tried Christian Dior Extreme (something like that), Sisley (bad colour range, not very good at perfecting), and lately a Givenchy PhotoPerfection (something like that) one which was very nice -- but ultimately made my face peel (due to the sunscreen) and wasn't very dewy.

BUT now I've found my new HG. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff. It does on like a dream, is really buildable (I apply it with a foundation brush and it works fine) is really dewy (so I wouldn't recommend it for people with oily skin) and the doesn't oxidise (go orange). It also contains no SPF! yay!!! It also has a nice quality that it fills pores nicely creating an airbrushed look (not as amazing as Dior Fluide, but pretty good).

VERY happy to have found it. TEmpted to buy a few bottles as I'm terrified they'll start putting SPF in it and ruin the formuation.

Also, I suggest that when you buy it, you make sure you buy the PUMP for it. If not it all just becomes too annoying.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2011 12:31:00 AM More reviews by LoveandBeauty

Skin Type: NC15, combination/oily

I think this is a decent foundation. I really wanted to love it, after hearing all the massive hype surrounding it. Unfortunately, I haven't reached for it since I bought it months ago. I tend to favor luminous foundations despite my skin type, only because they look more natural. However, I found that this didn't exactly give any glow to my skin. It has a runny consistency, and it dried to a satin finish. I found that it gives medium coverage that is buildable. The lasting power is not exceptional, and it began to look a little patchy after several hours. I simply cannot justify the price for this foundation. It is a basic satin finish foundation, with minimal glow. If this is the look you want, then I would suggest buying this. However, I have found better foundations that deliver that "luminous" look. I gave it 3 stars for average.

Shade References: I have very light, neutral skin, and have tried the palest shades. Siberia is far too light for a true NC15, as some have suggested. It is a very pale shade with yellow undertones, suitable for NC10. Gobi has the same undertones as Siberia, but the shade intensity is deeper. I would suggest Gobi for an NC15. Mont Blanc has a pinky neutral undertone, and is suitable for NW15. I have not tried Deauville because I know it would be too dark, but upon swatching it, it looks suitable for NW20. Ceylan would be good for NC20.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's a decent sheer-to-medium coverage foundation. It must be used over concealer if you have spots you need to even out. I won't purchase again as I'll be looking for something with more coverage, and a little SPF would be nice too.