November 27, 2014 | 1337 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by MakingFaces

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Seriously one of the worst foundations I ever used. Broke me out horribly, huge cystic and painful!! I wore it for a whole day and woke up looking like a pizza the next morning! It also made me a super oil slick within a few hours. I wouldnt recommend this to my worst enemy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 8:02:00 PM More reviews by Stephaniegonzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this foundation. It literally gives you a glow. I never knew what people were talking about before this foundation. Barcelona is a perfect match for me. My only gripe is i have to store it upright b/c it leaks :( . But I almost dont mind that. Hopefully mine is just an oddball as far as pakaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 11:31:00 AM More reviews by ALllieee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

really really really love this foundation it's amazing. my colour (syracuse) matches perfectly and it has fair good coverage. i have a few acne scars/hyperpigmentation that are covered with one layer of foundation. The yellow base in this foundation makes it look so natural on me. It's a bit expensive but worth it. Should really have a pump though, i try not to waste too much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 10:14:00 AM More reviews by violetmist

A beautiful medium coverage foundation that looks almost as light as a tinted moisturizer. My shade is Deauville a neutral leaning to warm shade. I have been a Bobbi Brown fan but I find her shades to be too yellow causing the rest of my makeup to need adjustment so I look balanced and natural. The Nars foundation makes all of my makeup look better. It is somewhat moisturizing but not too much, gives nice coverage but is sheer. Clearly a lot of thought went into this product and it shows.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2011 2:32:00 AM More reviews by sjbst17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wish I could give this negative stars since it broke me out horribly.

I have combination acne prone skin, but normally it is clear. Sheer glow is a beautiful color and texture, though it did tend to make me a little oily and to wear off a bit too quickly. But sheer glow gave me cystic acne, that temporarily really ruined my skin. Since most of the ingredients are lab compounds it's hard to get clear on what's in here...unless you are familiar with the terminology.

Based on the recommendation of Paula's Choice's Beautypedia and the NARS packaging and marketing stating non-comedogenic and unfortunately for me, not checking MUA I continued to use it even after getting large cysts.

Because I really liked the color, I then bought Sheer Matte, thinking that maybe it would not make me breakout. To my horror, it gave me a different kind of acne that I had never seen before - small bumpy acne in places where I don't break out ever, like my jawbone... and my neck!

I'm not sure what the cutoff should be but at least 12-13% of women on MUA developed cysts from sheer glow (I filtered by skin type acne-prone only so - there could be more). I saw a similar consistency in the reviews of sheer matte, a different pattern of acne -- clusters of disgusting little acne bumps.

Paula's Choice/ Beautypedia (the cosmetics 'cop') said that, there is no science to explain this. Some women have 'anecdotally' reported that silicones cause them to break out, but according to the science of silicones - they do not actually penetrate the pore so logically they shouldn't obstruct pores. So I still do not know which ingredient(s) caused me and these other reviewers to have similar reactions to these foundations.

Frankly, as someone who has to read labels and be careful to keep my skin nice and clear...I'm a bit disgusted with all of this. I even called NARS and they said that their product should not cause acne, but well I must disagree. Anyways, Paula's Choice/ Beautypedia continues to give this foundation Highly Recommended status, without reservation or warning - at least until new studies are released. The 12% of reviewers here who had a horrible experience with it are merely anecdotal, likening being acne prone to being lactose intolerant -- since most people can drink milk.

I'm convinced that both sheer glow and sheer matte should carry a warning, that they MAY cause breakouts. This is a superb foundation in my opinion if it doesn't turn your face into a pimply mess. But, if you are acne prone, be aware that this can really create problems for your skin. Knowing all of this, if you still want to see if maybe it will work just fine for you -- I suggest that perhaps you try it initially for a couple of weeks on a small part of your face to potentially save yourself some trouble.

Hope it helps

30 out of 52 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2011 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Nextdoorhottie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My current foundation! I use the shade, Barcelona. Since i do have oily skin I have to use a setting powder because this certainly does give you that glow! I might try the matte version when i finish this bottle. Its med-full coverage. looks natural, it really does make your skin look beautiful! Its also very blendable.

I really didnt like the packing, though i have to say. I wish when i purchased it, it came with a pump instead. It can get very messy!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by juvenileOrion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this in Mont Blanc and it's the perfect shade for my skin. My skin is not flawless, I do have a couple of marks here and there but I don't like wearing heavy foundation, so I use some concealer and put this over. It gives a glowy look and I like its lightweightness. I don't like the packaging because you have to pour it out on your hand and sometimes you pour too much and waste the product.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2011 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Lazza91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is good as it evens out your skin tone and appears very natural. It gives a sheer coverage which is buildable and doesn't look cakey. However, i have a few problems with this foundation: 1) It does tend to cling onto any dry bits of skin you have which is irratating, 2) It doesn't come with a pump which means you waste alot of product and 3) It is very expensive. Overall, this is a good foundation but, i wouldn't say it was worth it's price.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2011 2:51:00 AM More reviews by ihearttmac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this product has its ups and downs. i like it because it makes your face not oily looking but nice and glowy. it is VERY expensive. the one thing i dont like it the packaging. usally i end up putting to much on because it doesnt have a pump. overall it doesnt give that much coverage but if you want more of a glowy face go for it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by glittterati

This is a GREAT foundation. It's not heavy at all and feels really light on your face. It's NOT a full coverage foundation. So if your looking for that, this isn't your foundation. I have pretty flawless skin and this gives me a sheer coverage to even out my skin tone! I recommend this 110%!