July 23, 2014 | 2003 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2009 10:06:00 AM More reviews by lauralikes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i take a stage makeup class so we use some heavy duty stuff like ben nye foundations, cream shadows, highlights, and also wax (like for our eyebrows). well, after 50 minutes of having that junk on my face, cold cream is what makes me feel amazing again. I just lather it on my face, take a paper towel and wipe it off, then wash my face with a normal face cleanser, and i honestly dont even feel the need to moisturize after because it's as if ponds penetrated once, and will remain even after washing/sweating/whatever.
it's also great for an eye cream at night or just an overall night cream (for some hardcore moisture).

the reason why i give it 4 stars isbecause it takes a lot of whiping to get it off! it's kinda slippery and greasy so you have to get to every spot with the paper towel. and it might make you feel a bit too moisturized, in the way that makes you feel like you're wearing too much on your face.

Just try it, it's cheap, see how you like it... but for sure,if you're using A LOT of makeup and dont want to damage your skin, ponds cold cream is the way to go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great make up remover and sssssooooooo cheap. I love when a product works and I don't have to spend a ton on it. (I don't understand women who seem to think h/e and spending a lot of $$$ has something to do with a product being good. I think SUCKER)

It does smell a little granny but I kindof like the rose smell. As another review said it 'melt' aways your makeup. My face is totally clean. I follow up with a gentle cleanser since I can feel a kindof greasy film.

No breakouts and does not add oil to my already oily skin. Just a great product that I was reluctant to try b/c I thought it would add to my oilness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2009 5:36:00 PM More reviews by ccjcjl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I used this as a cleanser only and it caused very bad allergic reactions. It does remove makeup very well, and the container isn't so bad (I keep a mini scoop inside of it), but I will never, ever buy this product again. It makes my face numb (temporarily) and causes burn-like rashes on my face (permanently?!). It looked like rosacea, with a lot of bumps (whiteheads and blackheads galore!) in the red areas. And now, 5-6 months later, I still look like I have very mild rosacea. I'm wondering if I actually have the skin condition. I think I'm allergic to the ceresin in this product, like many others are.

Edit, October 2009: I think I've had sensitive skin before this product. The cream just made it that much more apparent.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2009 12:22:00 AM More reviews by chilee30059

Pond's cold cream is an economical, no-frills beauty staple for the three generations of women in our family. One of the reasons why I liked Pond's cold cream was that you can count all the ingredients with your fingers (try to reduce the amount of chemicals you put on your skin, since your body will absorb them). However, I am disappointed that Pond's reformulated the product by adding toxic ingredients like the preservative DMDM Hydantoin. The upside of this change is that the original Pond's cold cream is still manufactured. You just have to look harder. My local drugstore has it while one major drugstore carried the new reformulated one. Good luck guys!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by hailung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely a classic! the 'classic cold cream' as the bottle says... it is much better than the newer cucumber formula which looks cute from the cucumber pic, but is too runny when i use it as an eye makeup remover it slides all over my eyes. i much rather prefer this cold cream, it's so fresh and removes like magic, also it makes your skin very moisturized and smooth and touchable!!! the scent is lovely old fashion but hey it's great!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2009 11:02:00 AM More reviews by margraham

I used this for 25 years as an eye-makeup remover,and then they changed the formula. I developed a severe reaction in January 2009 and had to see the eye doctor to clear it up.
Since I couldn't believe the product I had used for so many years was now causing me to react so terribly, I contacted Ponds directl.
They informed me that the formula did indeed change, and they are not required to notify the public when a formula changes. So many people used this product because it was safe and did not cause any reactions. I am sorry that it changed. Am now on the hunt for a creamy eye-makeup remover. They should take the reference to eye-makeup removal off of their packaging.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 10:12:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

I myself had a nasty, painful rosacea reaction from Boots Cold Cream recently, so I'm totally sympathetic to rosacea sufferers who might have problems w/ this product. Ponds doesn't cause problems like that in me, but all the same, be cautious, rosacea sufferers. In terms of rosacea/sensitive skin, I wonder if Mustela Cold Cream might be a better option. Also, for sensitive skin people, a Caswell-Massey or Mustela cold cream soap might be a gentler option, provided you wear only a little makeup. Ponds can't compete w/me compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, but when you have to tighten your belt, Ponds wins out on the economy front.
It must be said though, that Ponds works well in terms of make up removal. For those who find it doesn't remove enough, I find the "double dip" effective: apply a thin layer, wipe off w/tissue, apply another thin layer and wipe off, then wash face w/gentle soap. As for contamination issue, here's a trick I learned w/my German Nivea tin. Remove the amount you need w/a Q-tip, placing on a tissue. Look, Ma, no hands. This stuff is great for people w/fairly normal skin. My one complaint is that Ponds needs to develop two more lines, a fragrance free version and a version that uses almond oil for those wary of mineral oil. I don't get why they don't they increase their customer base this way. Update: I have found pore strips have fewer and smaller clogs w/Ponds than DHC. I'm keeping it at a four instead of five because of the scent. It doesn't irritate me, but I could see it bothering others. Ponds just needs to develop fragrance free version for super sensitive skin. Know there's a lot of anti-mineral oil vibes out there, but if you check a few notepads on MUA, you'll find there are people who've found mineral oil in Ponds healing.
Update: Am removing a lippie, making my score a three. I recently switched to Noxzema and Noxzema totally beats Ponds. Noxzema not only cleanses, it's drying up some persistent stress-induced pimples on my chin, but doesn't dry out my skin. However, Ponds still works great as an eye makeup remover, so I'll buy a small thing of Ponds again, but only for eye makeup removal purposes.
Update 9/9/11: Changed it to No for would you buy this again rating. In the past six months, I've found the fragrance is too much for my mild rosacea. I've switched to the fragrance-free version of Albolene with no problems.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2009 10:44:00 PM More reviews by tobybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There are so many good reviews of this product, so I thought I would give it a try. It's a cream, so it's consistency is- creamy- of course. The jar is pretty and the rose scent didn't bother me, but it's strong. It felt nice going on, sort of cool and soothing.
I smoothed the product onto my damp skin, let it sit for a minute, then gently wiped it away with a wet cloth. But, after following up with a rinse to remove the last bit, my skin started to feel warm, then it started to sting! It didn't remove my makeup very well, and made my skin feel a bit dry. Weird, since I have oily skin.
I also have mild rosacea, so that could be why it irritated my skin. Not a re-buy for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 1:13:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

I have oily skin and .... drumroll please ... I love cold cream! It helps keep my pores clear and my sebum flowing normally in much the same way as the oil cleansing method, but it feels a bit more indulgent and glamorous to use a cream.

Ponds is the only store brand of cold cream I have used. I wanted to give it a try because if you Google "cold cream" you'll find so many raves about it -- it *is* the original classic -- and I wanted to give it a try and compare it to my usual homemade cold cream.

It's okay. I'm not a big fan of mineral oil, not because I think it's going to give me The Cancers or anything but because I prefer not to help create demand for petroleum products. Plus, mineral oil is completely inert, whereas plant-based oils may have antioxidants and other skin-friendly properties.

It feels, cleans and wipes off very much like my homemade cream. The scent is very strong. I don't mind roses, but I get slightly nervous using anything so very perfumed on my face, so for that reason alone I'll skip the Ponds as long as I have an alternative. It leaves my face soft and clean.

An advantage of Ponds is, of course, that it has preservatives, good for those who don't want to have to keep track of how fresh their cold cream is or anyone who only uses cold cream once in a long while.

If you have oily skin and are concerned about cold cream leaving a film, take a soft washcloth and wring it in hot or very warm water; lay it over your face to steam for a minute and then wipe the cold cream off. Rinse and wring the cloth again and wipe, wipe, wipe some more. Every oily cleanser I've used does make me break out if I'm not careful to remove every last trace of it, but as long as I wipe and rinse carefully I have no problems, and my skin has been noticeably less oily with fewer clogged pores since I've incorporated oil-based cleansers into my routine.

ETA: I wanted to use up the jar I bought, so I started using it more regularly, particularly since I've been wearing heavy makeup for dance class performances. I have to admit I'm hooked now. My skin is so soft, and the Pond's does such a good job of getting off the conventional makeup (as opposed to mineral makeup) that I use for the stage. It's not so great on the eye makeup -- everyday eye makeup yes, stage makeup with cream eyeliner and waterproof mascara no. I prefer Queen Helene Triple Whipped for that. But on the whole, I like it, it's more convenient than making my own, obviously, and I think I'll keep some around as a staple.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 9:39:00 PM More reviews by pmbechtle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

You know how they say that your sense of smell evokes your deepest memories? When I massage Ponds on to remove my waterproof mascara, long lasting foundations, and lipstick it takes me back in time. I'm with my mom, watching her cleanse her face (she used Ponds exclusively to cleanse). The smell is like a hug from her. Needless to say, I like the smell of Ponds cold cream :)
This is the best makeup remover ever made, imho. No wonder it's been an established product for generations! I massage it in for about a minute for the sheer, sensual pleasure of it. I don't think you need to do this. It just *feels* good. I wipe it off with a warm washcloth and there is not a trace of makeup left behind. It leaves my skin clean and nicely moisturized. It also lifts my spirits after a long, exhausting day. All this for $5! Ain't life grand?

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No