October 20, 2014 | 1510 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 4:24:00 AM More reviews by PansyWansyLinsy

I've been through a variety of facial cleansers over the years, and I've had experience with your average over the counter cleansers like Neutrogena, Clearasil, Noxema (anyone remember that one), etc. as well as some higher end ones like Estee Lauder, Clinique, and ProActiv (if you can call it high end). I have combination type skin with dry cheeks, oily T-zone, nose and chin. I have dry patches on the areas around my mouth and nose, so I have to be careful to buy a cleanser that won't dry out those areas, but will take care of the other extremely oily areas of my face.

The over the counter stuff like St. Ives was serviceable, but Neutrogena, Clearasil, etc were absolutely useless. In fact, the latter two products really irritated my skin even causing red puffiness and scaly dryness when I did switch products. ProActive was just as terrible because my face was red, inflamed, and dry for days. My skin probably had the worst reaction to that product. There's parts of the months where my skin is especially prone to breakout, so I needed a strong enough cleanser that would also help stave off the especially large zits.While the Estee Lauder cleanser was probably the closest product to fulfilling my needs, it was also a little pricey.

After hearing all these rave reviews about Cetaphil, I decided to give it a try. Best decision of my life because it did everything that I needed to do at a great price and value. It took off my makeup, it didn't dry out my skin, and like some have mentioned on here, there's this feeling of refreshing cleanliness that you get after using it. It does occasionally dry out the more sensitive areas of my skin (around the nose and mouth), but my skin is especially vulnerable to that certain times of the year anyway.Some drawbacks, like some have all ready mentioned, there's hardly any lather with this product either. That did bother me initially because I was so used to that aspect with all my other cleansers, but I soon got used to it because it did its job regardless of whether I got a lather or not.

I can't say enough about this product because for the longest time I had been searching for the perfect cleanser for my sensitive, overly-difficult skin. For the price and the overall effectiveness of the product, Cetaphil is probably the best cleanser out there.

I would also like to leave a small disclaimer for some of the dissenting reviews. I think it's a given fact that everyone's skin is different. While some products may work for others, it will most obviously not work for some. The fact that Cetaphil seems to work for a majority of its users speaks to the testament of the product. I don't think it's the product that is radically flawed, but rather the difference in skin types that is to blame here. (My honest opinion)

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by s0605037

i used to swear by this cleanser until i used something else that actually helped my acne-prone skin. this is great as a gentle cleanser if you dont have any specific skin needs...but i need something that will really unclog my pores. i wish this was all i needed, but unfortunately i need something a bit stronger. was also surprisingly a bit drying on me even though i have oily skin

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2008 10:30:00 AM More reviews by mshuynh

I brought this by accident instead of the gentle face cleasener. This is a good generic face wash. But nothing special. I don't think it is as good as the gentle version. Although it does leave my skin soft i do find it also leaves my skin slighty tight after using it (not a good thing). It removes makeup ok, but may need help shifting heavy eye makeup. Price is good for the amount you uy and it lasts for ages.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2008 3:36:00 PM More reviews by je_taime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this product a lot. I'm pregnant and need something gentle to wash my face with. This leaves my skin fresh and clean and is so gentle. I have really oily skin from being pregnant and although it doesn't control all that well, it doesn't make it worst. My skin has looked better since using this. No more breakouts. It is a lot calmer. Last night I had a zit that was beginning to grow...I washed my face with this last night and this morning...totally gone. I'm starting to think that gentle products are better for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2008 2:04:00 PM More reviews by beautylogic

This cleanser is simple, gentle, and effective. It doesn't do much in terms of keeping random pimples at bay... but that's a lot to ask. My face feels really clean after using it- no lingering film or makeup. It does dry out my skin a little bit at first, but after half an hour (without moisturizer) it's fine. I'll definitely repurchase this, and I'm pretty sure Cetaphil will always have a spot in my skin care regimen.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by hallonchris182

Nice pump bottle , cost for about 10 dollars (bottle is nice n big) foams up very little barely, can last u for a long time, very creamy but dried out my skin a bit n also broke me out on my cheeks i read so many good reviews so i bought it but didnt work the same for me.. just not for my skin type i guess i have dry/normal skin n not sensitive

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2008 10:03:00 PM More reviews by CrimsonKiss

I really like this cleanser. It's gentle enough for daily use and it gets rid of all the dirt and oil on my face without making it overly dry. Oh, and it leaves no icky residue either~ yay. I would purchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2008 2:13:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love that this is a pump bottle!

Anyway, to the actual cleanser, its a good cleanser. Leaves your face clean feeling, but soft & not dried out or tight.

Sadly, this is not what I need, although it works well enough for me to not throw it out. I have to take off a 'lippie' for this & say I wouldn't repurchase, but I would still recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 2:11:00 AM More reviews by maekay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Okay people, I don't even use the actual name brand version of this, I use the CVS knock-off and I swear it's made of magic!!! What began as a cheapie cleanser to wash my face with after going to the gym then turned into a cleanser to wash with in the morning. Then I got super brave and ditched my Proactiv cleanser at night to begin only washing with this night and day and my skin is the best it's been since I can't remember when! This stuff is AMAZING! I actually cancelled my Proactiv Clear Skin Club account and plan on only purchasing the toner and lotion treatment from the kiosk in the mall whenever I run out of those. I have always thought the Proactiv cleanser was harsh but even after I found moiturizers that worked well with it and didn't break me out much at all, my skin still never attained the level of clarity I have found with this cleanser. It's not over-drying, I follow with Proactiv toner and lotion treatment at night only, and then Neutrogena Intensive Anti-Wrinkle cream. Morning: wash, rinse, toner and daytime Neutrogena Intensive Anti-Wrinkle with SPF. Between the Neutrogena creams and this soap I finally feel like I've "made it" in terms of skin care. I never thought a gel cleanser could be so good to my skin, but I think the key with this being less drying is that it doesn't really foam up or suds up much at all---the foamier cleansers are always the most drying for my combo-oily skin. Luv, luv, luv----rave, rave, rave! Gets my skin CLEAN! And I'm not even buying the name brand---kudos to CVS for formulating a fantastic dupe!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2008 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Tess35

I used this cleanser before and remember dumping it as I couldn't figure out what it really is for. It couldn't removed MU, so I also need to use a separate MU remover. And by the time I am finished, I find that my skin is too terribly dried out.

It sensitised my face and stings my nasal folds badly. I much prefer the Gentle version.

EDIT: I find my true HG in Babor Hy-ol. The best cleanser in my opinion. Try it.