January 28, 2015 | 1919 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pro Skincare Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2008 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Aonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was not sure about it, but I've used it a month and my skin looks pretty good. Although I have oily skin with a rare breakout and large pores across by nose and cheeks, I have no wrinkles and my skin was fairly nice to start with. I use the sensitive brush for 2 min once a day with any soap or cleanser I have in reach. My skin has a healthy glow, the blackheads are significantly reduced, and all in all I'm very pleased. I still don't have perfect skin, but it really looks nice and I could omit foundation if I want because it's so clear and even looking. I'm hoping to see more improvement as time passes.
I'm only giving a 4 out of 5 rating because of the product is so expensive. I have to admit though, after years of using every scrub on the market, the Clarisonic gives much better results in a shorter period of time. It really is a very good product and delivers what it promises in terms of improved texture and clarity to the skin. This is one product where the marketing term "makeup optional" is not just a bunch of hot air.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2008 6:23:00 PM More reviews by V4Valkyrie

I was hesitant like many may be in spending around $200 for a skincare brush. But this is one of those investments I will never regret buying. Being a college student, I thought that I didn't need the Clarisonic, that my skin was in its "prime". I did not break out often, but I do have blackheads and noticeable pores. I tried using many AHA/BHA products, and different kind of masks that promised to reduce blackheads. Although some did show results, nothing was compared to the Clarisonic. I truly believe in order to have flawless makeup, you need great looking skin. The Clarisonic helped me achieve that. I have been using this for almost 3 months. I use this every night with my Philosophy Purity Cleanser. I saw results within my first week of using the Clarisonic. My pores were invisible, my skin was so smooth. My blackheads were greatly diminished. I am more comfortable without a full face of makeup. After using the Clarisonic, I just wear some sunscreen and head out of the house on my lazy days. I am so happy that I bought this. I was using the Shiseido Skincare Brush for years, and thought that it was enough. However the Clarisonic really changed the way I looked at skincare, and how important taking care of my skin should be. Lets face it ladies, even with the best concealer and foundation, makeup can't cover everything. We need to change the way we take care of our skin first. I wash my Clarisonic by taking off the brush head and leaving in it boiled water for about 2-3 minutes. I do this about once a week. Those of you who found that using the Clarisonic makes you break out, try washing your brush.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by semarie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have just received this this week and am only commenting on its cleansing abilities for now. I absolutely love this! I am a makeup wearer (full foundation and everything) and have been using makeup towelletes to thoroughly remove my makeup and using a gentle cleanser afterwards, and have always thought that was enough to cleanse my skin. Well, after doing my cleansing routine at night the first day I received my clarisonic, I decided to go ahead and test it out with Kate Somerville cleanser that was a bonus (which is clear) and I was absolutely shocked at how the lather had started to turn brown! ICK!! My face had not been getting as clean as I thought it had with just the towelletes and cleanser alone!! After using this product, my skin feels more clean-and I don't feel like I'll ever need to go get a facial again because I can already tell a huge difference in just how my skincare products are now melting into my skin rather that sitting on top! I ordered this through QVC and it came with 3 different brush heads, Kate Sommerville cleanser which I think smells divine, and 3 tubes of their 1 oz. clarisonic cleanser. You're supposed to replace your brush head every 3-4 months of use daily. Also, came with a card that said if you registered your clarisonic, you get an extra brush head of your choice! Just registered it today and they're sending one in 4-6 weeks! I love the fact that your whole family can use it- each family member can have their own brush head to pop into the unit-so you wouldn't have to spend another $195 for the kit-just buy them a brush head for $25 and keep it charged up for sure!! I highly recommend this for cleansing!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2008 1:19:00 AM More reviews by bff

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i love my clarisonic. the first month or so that i had it, i was convinced that it was causing my skin to breakout and that i must be too sensitive to use it. then i finally bought the delicate brush head and gave it another try (since it was so expensive!).

now i love it. i use it every night w/dermalogica special cleansing gel and my skin looks 1000x better than before. smoother, more even, smaller pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2008 9:35:00 PM More reviews by 1domesticdiva

I was very skeptical but after using this for over six months people I don't know comment on how smooth and glowing my skin is- and I'm fourty!! I use less products- cetaphil cleanser, vanicream at night and neutragena sunscreen everyday- that's it. I use to spend a whole lot more on products than I did on this brush costs!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2008 9:47:00 PM More reviews by puffcurls

This brush is amazing. It has singlehandedly cleared my skin. I have struggled with acne for years, and this brush has not only cleared my skin but has made it look years younger. Yes, the brush is expensive, but totally worth it. I use less product on my skin because it absorbs better and less makeup! Try it out, if you don't love it, return within 30 days at Sephora.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2008 5:19:00 PM More reviews by milktoast24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Because i work in the beauty industry here in New York, i see all the behind-the-scenes secrets: Incestuous suppliers, do-nothing formulas, and idiotic marketing hype. Therefore, I normally don't push products, being so jaded.

BUT... I've actually fallen in love with the Clarisonic, a rotating brush head cleanser that's powered by ultrasonic waves, by the same maker as SonicCare toothbrushes. you may have heard of it, and piqued by the testimonials. And I attest to its power. Why?

My uncle is a plastic surgeon with a skincare clinic and has been promoting ultrasonic plated devices for *years* to help products penetrate the skin better. (Imagine a Clarisonic with a flat metal head, no bristles --I've used this type of device to massage serums into my skin.) I am witness to the results from my own family members and his patients --seeing a huge difference in glow, firmness, texture, and brightness to their skin due to improved Vit. C serum absorption. Think of it this way--most cremes and potions sit on top of the skin, rarely penetrating through the top layers of dead skin cells to actually work. The ultrasonic waves help push the product into the skin more than using fingers.

The Clarisonic takes this concept one up, starting with the cleansing step:
Rotating bristles with ultrasonic power to remove the dead skin cells in the first place.

The result is more thorough deep cleansing than washing by hand. Dirt and debris get whisked away, pores are massaged and stimulated (you will notice that blackheads are easier to remove or are slightly reduced), and overall skin health is brighter and improved! and the best part is that serums/cremes/moisturizers SINK in immediately after cleansing --- skin soaks it right up b/c it's prepped, no dead cell blockage, and
it's ready to receive your choice of anti-aging solutions.

Therefore, I would not recommend using any old moisturizer. After all, the Clarisonic study was conducted using Vitamin C penetration levels and showed some 40-60% increase in absorption, so why use a run-of-the-mill moisturizer afterwards? This is where your actives come into play: Antioxidants, Retinol, Peptides, etc. My uncle also uses the Vitamin C serums on his patients b/c it is one of the few things that is proven to work in clinical trials as an anti-aging superpower. You must be sure to get the stabilized kind, such as Phytoceuticals C+E serum, (i think it's 10-15% vitamin C) created by the doctor who first stabilized Vitamin C and then patented it. He originally founded Skinceuticals (which you all know), but i bet you don't know that he then separated to form Phytoceuticals, bringing his formulations with him.

After using the Clarisonic with my C serum for one month, my skin is so smooth and glowing with a brightness i had not seen before. I went back home for the holidays and everyone was commenting on my skin. Again, this is due to improved product penetration.

I tried the Clarisonic on my body, and afterwards my skin was so smooth and my typically greasy
body butter absorbed right away instead of sitting on top of my skin. But i don't have the patience to sonic-fy my body every day (way too time-consuming).

Buying or using the Clarisonic brand cleanser is not necessary - it's a non-lathering milky cleanser similar to Cetaphil. I still recommend using a makeup remover *before* cleansing.

I've also heard that it clears up Keratosis Pilaris (chicken skin bumps, usually on back of arms), only if you are diligent about it. I can see why this would potentially work.

Using the Clarisonic takes patience every day to go thru the routine and massage and circle your skin in small motions. Many times, after the "honeymoon" factor, we tend to get tired and just want to take shortcuts.

However, the Clarisonic does not cure acne--the cystic kind, superficial kind, hormonal kind, or any kind. Believe me, if it did, i'd give it 5 stars.
Hey, this machine ain't the holy grail--but it's pretty close.

76 out of 76 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2008 2:24:00 PM More reviews by littlebird123

I purchased this expensive brush after reading all the rave reviews on line. I have used it about 2 weeks now. I am not surprisingly satisfied with it. The brush came in the box was a standarized one, which is a little too harsh for my cheeks. I did not feel much improvement in my skin after two weeks. I still have to use some scrubs to exfoliate especially my T zone, due to the design of the brush, it can not clean all the pores around my nose.
I bought the Sheseido skincare cleansing brush the same time and try to compare them. I honestly think Sheseido's brush can do the job just as good as Clarisonics with a price of $22. The biggest difference is manually cleaning vs. have a batter operated device cleaning. The Sheseido brush is much softer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2008 1:23:00 PM More reviews by underoos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've had problems with acne, clogged pores, blackheads, and generally just RIDICULOUSLY oily skin since I was 13. I've been prescribed god knows how many antibiotics, topical gels, creams, and toners, I finished an 8-month course of Accutane, and have had three photodynamic light therapy treatments.

I can honestly say I've seen the best LONG TERM effects with the Clarisonic. I've been using it every day, twice a day for seven months and for me it's unequivocally the answer to my major skin flaws. I went through a month-long purge (lots of cystic acne) but after that my skin has been almost unrealistically clear. Because they're clean and not clogged, my pores appear much smaller and my skin doesn't have that chronic "dirty" look it always had before. My blackheads have been reduced by 90%, I'd say, and the blackheads I DO have are much more easily extracted. I used to have a big problem with cystic acne along my jawline-- especially around my period-- and for the last three months I haven't had a single cystic problem. Now I get a whitehead or a blemish maybe once every couple of weeks. It's phenomenal. And I've used buff pads and two different drug store battery-operated knock-offs (Neutrogena makes one, I can't remember who made the other) and they didn't even come close. Not even REMOTELY. I use a Sonicare toothbrush, too, and have for close to ten years, so when I heard about the Clarisonic I immediately understood how it would work, what with each individual bristle oscillating independently.

If you have a cleanser that works for you, use that instead of the product that comes with the system. I've also used products containing microbeads with the Clarisonic and it hasn't been an issue at all. I now use the Clarisonic twice a day with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser followed by oil-free moisturizer in the morning and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream at night.

And if you're reading these reviews trying to decide whether the Clarisonic is worth the money, please take note of how many people used it for a week or only a month or two before leaving unsatisfied reviews. It's a PROCESS. You'll definitely notice a favorable difference in your skin's surface texture almost immediately, but it take several months of continuous use to see a substantial (and I mean seriously, amazingly substantial) improvement in your skin. I can't say enough about this awesome product.

25 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2008 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Vac513

I should preface this review by stating that I've only used my Clarisonic for two weeks. If anything changes, I will update.

Onto the review... In the two weeks that I've been using my Clarisonic, I have completely fallen in love with it. The blackheads that are on my nose have SIGNIFICANTLY diminished, so much so that I hardly notice them at all. It seems like every day there are fewer and fewer! I tried everything - Paula's Choice BHA, Neutrogena BHA, biore pore strips, various AHAs - and the Clarisonic has outperformed them by far in a short amount of time. I hope that these results last!

I will say that the first time I used the Clarisonic, I had a small breakout about one day into it. This was really discouraging, but I stuck with it. My skin now looks better than it has in ages - I've had several compliments. I do still have a few clogged pores on my forehead that I had before I started the Clarisonic, but they seem to be much closer to the surface now. I'm guessing that with another month or so of use, they'll be gone.

Here's my routine: I use Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser with the Delicate brush head for 1 minute 1 to 2 times daily, depending on how sensitive my skin feels. DO NOT OVERDO IT, especially initially. This is not meant to be a scrub-the-heck-out-of-your-skin product. It is more of a gradual, gentle exfoliation that works best over time. In the mornings I usually apply Acne.org's AHA+ if I'm not going outside, or if I will be going out, I use Olay Complete SPF15 Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. At night, I apply either Differin or Tazorac (Differin if my skin is feeling a little raw). Some nights if my skin is really feeling sensitive, I'll just soothe it for the evening with Clinique DDML and nothing else. Of course, YRMV, but if you have sensitive combination skin, maybe this will help you.

My biggest advice is to PAY ATTENTION to how your skin is feeling. If it feels raw, don't use the Clarisonic or strong products that night. Try not to be overly eager just because it feels cool. Just take it easy and be consistent, and more than likely the results will come. I can now go out without ANY makeup whatsoever and get compliments on my skin - that's how good this thing can be if you are patient with it!

Edited to add: I just read that someone recommended using a Buf-Puff below. I tried this before, and at least for me, the Buf Puff was way too strong. This could possibly be because I use retinoids, which make my skin rather delicate. So if the Buf Puff is too much for you, the Clarisonic may be a better choice.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No