Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter (All Shades)

Polybutene , Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 , Tridecyl Trimellitate , Octyldodecanol , PETROLATUM, Hydrogenated Polydecene , Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate , Jojoba , Polyethylene , Ozokerite , Cetyl PEG , PPG-10 , 1 Dimethicone , Calcium Sodium Borosilicate , Hexyl Laurate , Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate , Beeswax, Zinc Ricinoleate , Squalane , Silica , Shea Butter , Butter Mango , Palmitoyl Oligopeptide , TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, Coconut Oily, Synthetic Wax , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Dimethicone , Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer , Isodecyl Neopentanoate , Tribehenin , Sorbitan Isostearate , Fragrance , BHT , Caprylyl Glycol , 1,2 Hexanediol , May Contain: Mica , Titanium Dioxide (CI,77891) , Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) , Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) , Red 7 Lake (CI 15850:1) , Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985) , Red 33 Lake (CI 17200) , Carmine (CI 75470) , Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090) , Red 6 Lake (CI 15850)

I really, really wanted to like these. I collected about three of them over the last few months and, though I prefer sheerly tinted lip balms, got up the nerve to try Raspberry Pie one evening and slept before I could take it off. I woke up in the morning to "pretty pink lips" (my boyfriend's words) and thought nothing of it until later, when I noticed my lips felt dry and rough. The pretty pink color my boyfriend had commented on that morning was not due to the amazing Revlon pigmentation, but the bumps that had sprung up overnight on my poor lips. Turns out, I am allergic to these suckers! They did not dry out my lips, but break them out in painful, itchy hives that didn't go away for four days! As far as I know, I wasn't allergic to anything in these but there is something in this formulation that freaks my lips out. Ladies with a history of allergies, beware!!! I have similar problems with the Colorburst lipsticks, but was hoping these were different.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Before this product came about, I could never find any lip gloss or lip stick that would moisturize my lips & have great color. I have literally tried everything! So when people started talking about how great these were I didnt believe it but I still decided to try it. I went to the store & brought Tutti Frutti & Berry Smoothie. When I tried it, I Loved It! I was so happy with the results! I went back & brought Strawberry Smoothie as well! I Love these & I recommend them!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I own nine...yes, 9, Revlon Lip Butters now... I am a lip product junkie. I admit it. These just ended up being SO great, I couldn't stop buying them! The colors...are gorgeous. Really. And the range of colors...stunning. Red Velvet was appealing to me...because, I will be honest, I like the cake. I am pretty scared of red lips, in general, because I have large lips. I feel like big lips + bright color = scary. This color (Red Velvet...mmmmmm, cake) is amazing. It is the perfect amount of color. It is sheer, yet present. Buildable. Vibrant, yet subtle. Absolutely perfect for a red lip novice. I also am wearing the Pink Truffle often. It is the best natural shade ever. Peach Parfait - the shade worn in the ad by Emma Stone - is another wonderful, everyday lip. It has a bit of shimmer, but that really makes it glow on the lips. It isn't overly frosty. Creamsicle and Creme Brulee are both really light. They can be downright milky if you apply too much. The texture (for all of them) is...like buuuuuutttter, baby. My lips feel soft, smooth, moist, but, not sticky. Oh, and there is NO scent, which is a huge plus. I can't stand when "grown up" lip products have that tweenage, fake sweet smell and taste. I highly recommend these.

So I got sucked in by all the hype & all the pretty colors & ended up trying 5 shades. Since I generally prefer gloss to lipstick, I thought these lip butters would be a happy compromise.

Shade Selection/Formula: The shade selection is wonderful, especially the reds, and I like that you can see the color through the clear plastic window on the cap which makes comparing shades a lot easier. The formula is okay, not the best nor the worst; I guess when I hear “lip butter” I expect a super emollient formula with a glossier finish. These are creamy like a lipstick, but just not as moisturizing as expected; Cotton Candy, Sugar Plum & Red Velvet felt glossier than Sweet Tart & Candy Apple, so it may just depend on the shade?

Shades Tested: The 5 shades I tried definitely range in terms of pigment: Cotton Candy = light; Sugar Plum & Sweet Tart = medium; Candy Apple & Red Velvet = heavy. (From the online swatches I found, it appears that the lighter shades are generally less pigmented & sheerer than the brighter/darker colors.)

My surprise faves are Candy Apple, a warm orange-toned red that is unbelievably flattering to my pale skin & Red Velvet, a deep brownish brick-red that is simply stunning. I usually shy away from reds b/c I’m so pale, but both of these reds are amazing.

Cotton Candy is a pretty light shimmery cool-toned pink, but you have to really layer it on to get it to show up.

I found that Sugar Plum (medium plum) & Sweet Tart (bright warm-toned pink) look best when lightly applied, blotted w/a tissue & then applied lightly again; they each entered garish old-lady territory when I applied too heavy a layer.

Cons: I’m constantly drinking water, so staying power is only a/b 1 hr for me, although after the color has worn off, it leaves a light stain on the lips which does look pretty. As with lipstick & brighter/deeper shades of gloss, I found that the lip butters settled into any patches of dry skin on the lips, so I make sure I gently exfoliate using a damp washcloth or my toothbrush prior to application.

Bottom Line: While I think that these lip butters are for the most part overhyped/overrated, if you can score a couple on sale they may be a fun way to try out a new shade, especially red, since you can control the intensity of the color by how lightly/heavily you apply. I'd definitely repurchase Candy Apple & Red Velvet, but probably not the others.

Believe the hype.

I usually hate how drying lipsticks can be, this product gives me the colour payoff while being extremely comfortable on the lip. The payoff is that you'll have to reapply every couple hours, because it doesn't last. I especially love: Rasberry Pie, Lollipop, and Tutti Fruiti.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I've never had a lot of luck with lipsticks - they always make me feel like a child playing dress-up. However, the Revlon Lip Butters are incredibly easy to wear. On a whim, I bought Candy Apple. I've never been able to pull off a bright red, but the first time I wore this, I received a ton of complements!

They're not shockingly over-pigmented, but give a nice sheen of color to your lips. You can definitely tell you're wearing a lip color, but the way the pigmentation is structured, it blends really well with any skin tone. I've been back to the drugstore numerous times to buy another tube.

My only complaint is that this is a drugstore product, so you're more likely to find this product in really weird situations: Usually when the display is low, with only a few various colors are left, it usually means they've been "tried on." You may have to look closely, but the sticker will be peeled back and the top of the product will be a little messy. I've seen this at various stores - remember to inspect before you buy!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love the color of these lipsticks. It's so rich when you put it on, and it feels like a balm, but contains the color of a great lipstick without looking cakey. It kind of gives off a glossy shine, but not too much, just a nice subtle look. Like many lip colors, it can rub off easily, so if you're about to eat or take sips from a glass, be careful. I am going to try using a lip liner underneath it to see if that makes it last a bit longer. I purchased the color "Cherry Tart". Because of the moisturizing feel, and easy application, this lip color is my favorite! Not that expensive either. What else is there to say? I'm quite pleased with it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butters are super trendy lipstick-lip balm hybrids. These are one of the most talked about new products along with Urban Decay's Naked 2 and Maybelline's Color Tattoos. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who isn't foaming at the mouth, raving about them (not that I don't like them). Revlon states that these lip butters contain mango, shea, and coconut butter to improve the moisture level in your lips and claim that 94% of women saw an improvement in their lips moisture level. Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butters are available at drugstores, Ulta, and mass retailers, but can be hard to find due to their explosive popularity. These lip butters come in a wide variety of shades, 20 I think. Revlon products are not tested on animals, but I've heard otherwise, so use at your own discretion. I purchased mine in the shade Cherry Tart, at Ulta for $7.49.
Get ready for another rant on how much I love Revlon packaging. I think the packaging looks very high end and classy, while still being cute, fun, and modern. The cap is color coordinated with the shade of the product, so choosing a lip butter is pretty easy. In the case of Cherry Tart, the cap is bright red. The cap is a frosted plastic with a quilted design on two sides, which I believe is featured on all Color Burst lip products. The twist up mechanism is silver metal and twists easily. The base is black with the Revlon logo on it. Beautiful. You know your makeup looks cool when several men have told you how awesome your lipstick looks, or in the words of my roommate, "futuristic." The only small problem I have with these is I can't get the cap off very easily. I guess that might make it a little more purse-friendly though.
Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butters have a unique texture. They really do feel like a lip balm-lipstick hybrid, almost like a lip gloss in stick form. Though they're similar to a lip balm, I don't suggest mindlessly slathering them on, like I did the first time I used mine. I didn't expect them to have the same pigmentation as a sheer lipstick. Lip Butters definitely need the slower, more careful and precise application of a lipstick.
I expected these to feel different on the lips. For one, I expected them to go on thinner. I also expected them to be more hydrating. Everyone goes on about how super moisturizing these are and I'm just not feeling it. Yes, they are a little more moisturizing than your average lipstick, but no where near as much as a balm. I'm kinda disappointed. When my lips need more hydration, I'll stick to chapstick or Vaseline.
On the lips they feel like a thick gloss or a slightly wax lipstick. It's not particularly comfortable, and its almost distracting.
Cherry Tart is a sheer, blue toned red. It's very flattering and easy to wear. I have a hard time finding wearable red lip products, because of how fair and cool toned I am. It's definitely wearable enough for day, and its usually what I wear to work. In the tube it shows a little bit of shimmer, but it doesn't transfer to the lips. Instead you get a pretty, glossy finish. Cherry Tart goes on fairly sheer, but can be built up to be a deeper, brighter red with multiple swipes.
Wear time is good, longer than I expected. I get about an hour of glossiness and three or four hours of color. Pretty impressive for a product that's basically just a glorified lip balm. I expected an hour's wear at best.
Overall, Revlon's Color Burst Lip Butters are a unique product that's a little bit over hyped. They give a pretty, sheer wash of color with nice shine and a bit of moisture, not to mention awesome packaging. However I think they're a little bit pricey for what they are. You also don't get a ton of product. I'm not sure how much you get exactly, but I feel like I'm working my way through Cherry Tart pretty fast, faster than normal. I want to get another one, maybe two, but I'll probably wait until they're on sale or I have a coupon.
I shouldn't really bother to recommend Revlon Lip Butters, as you probably already have at least one. If not, jump on the band wagon and try one, you'll probably like something about it. Cherry Tart is a good choice for a wearable red lip. I'll probably repurchase it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like these because they are like a lipstick/lip balm/lip gloss all in one. I will say, though, that they don't excel at any one thing. I like that these provide color like a lipstick, but I don't like that they don't really last like one. I like that they have a bit more moisture than a lipstick, but don't think you're getting enough moisture to replace a lip balm. Lastly, I like that these provide a hint of shine, but again, don't think you're going to replace your lip gloss with these. And they are lacking SPF, which is critical in making this a perfect product for me. Therefore, I can't give them a 5.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought Peach Parfait. I love this color, more pink than peach, but very pretty. minus one star for being a bit too glittery, but I'd buy it again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials