September 19, 2014 | 1204 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2011 9:26:00 AM More reviews by LuvRin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really do like this foundation- it's easy to apply (i use my fingers), it glides on smoothly and doesn't streak, it makes my skin look flawless. And it stays that way for a long time... EXCEPT it oxidises on me after a few hours. I wear the shade Barcelona which is the exact match for my NC40 skin tone. Initially it always looks perfect. But as the day (or night) goes on, I notice I start to look really muddy, like I've applied too much bronzer all over my face. Not a good look! It's not so bad that people stare at me, infact I don't think anybody else notices it because no one has mentioned it to me. Maybe they think I'm just naturally tan? I dunno. I do like the foundation very much and I will continue to wear it, but I wish it wouldn't oxidise on me. It makes me think twice about applying bronzer! If I wear this foundation, the only thing I'll use bronzer for is to contour my cheekbones.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by furnando

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After the disappointment with DiorSkin Nude (oxidized heavily on my oily skin into a cooler undertone than mine making me look sunburned), I decided to give Sheer Glow a try. While I mentioned in my review for Sheer Matte that I couldn't find my color, I decided to try the color darker than Barcelona, Syracuse. Well needless to say this color is a better balance between yellow and golden. It does oxidize initially into a slightly orange color (not really bad) but it makes it match my neck which is quite dark compared to my face. This foundation is way better than Sheer Matte as far as coverage goes, I'd say a solid medium coverage. Also it blends beautifully, unlike Sheer Matte, which sets very quickly and offers less coverage IMO. Well let me say I have never gotten so many compliments on my skin! I walked around the mall and sales associates would ask me what I did to keep my skin so beautiful! I'm pretty much sold here, I love that this color matches my body well, and that its cheaper than DiorSkin. The oxidizing is kind of a downside, but as long as u choose a color with your undertone, it should only get a bit darker. I think if you're more cooler toned NARS will not be a good option since their colors seem to have more yellow in them and like I said it will oxidize more and the undertone will be more noticeable if its not the correct one. Luckily for me, orange/golden is my undertone :). If you're scared of the whole "Glow" aspect, let me just say that I have oily skin and I prefer this much more than Sheer Matte. Just use some mattifying powder and you're set. So worth the healthy sheer glow this gives!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2011 9:48:00 AM More reviews by Mandibulo

Mixed feelings about this product. I liked it at first, but now I have second thoughts about it. The name is irrelevant to the product to begin with: It's far from sheer, and it doesn't necessarily give you a glow; however, these two bits about it I love. For reference I'm NC25 and I have this in the color Ceylan. It did come off quite yellow in my initial application, but soon as I buffed it into my skin it looked absolutely normal. A great thing I noticed straight away was how pigmented it was. It covered the breakouts around my chin with minimal effort on my part, aka no building up and no concealing afterwards. Another big plus was the fact that, being so yellow-toned, it counteracted any redness on my face almost like a color corrector, so I didn't need to go back in and conceal that either. Those were two major advantages that made my life easier. As for its finish, it made my skin look just like I wanted it to: Alive and subtly glowy, but not sheeny or anything above a satin finish. Far from matte and far from shiny. However, one complaint I soon came to have was that it would cling to the drier parts of my face (which I didn't really have much of anyway, as I used a very potent moisturizer), as well as cake up in several places, something I had never had a problem with before. My second complaint was its staying power: If I wore it in the morning, it would have lost half its coverage by sometime in the early afternoon, so there was no way I could drag it out till night time and go out straight away - I'd have to go home, remove it, cleanse my skin and re-apply a whole new face for the evening, something terribly aggravating for my sensitive skin. I also have a bone to pick with the packaging, it's glass and heavy and it doesn't have a pump. So I don't know exactly how many lippies I should subtract, maybe I should have given it 4 instead of 3 because of its pigmentation and beautiful finish. I'll just try it on again soon, maybe using different application methods this time, and report back. I'm not sure whether I'd repurchase though, maybe I'll just stick with my Bourjois Healthy Mix which I find very similar but for half the price (a little less pigmented but way more natural looking, yet still yellow-toned and luminous). In any case, I'm on the fence.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by SunshineAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this product. Gave me a nice light to medium build-able coverage. I have combination/oily skin. Natural-dewey finish that's kinda lit from within. Good enough staying power. About 8 hours without powder on top. I loved wearing this specially when going out at night. It photos beautifully. I really don't mind that it doesn't have a pump. This blends easier than sheer matte. A little goes a long way. I loved applying it with my fingers, it gave me a light coverage and natural finish. I also like using mac 187 with this since it is more 'liquidy' you don't have to work quickly. The only bad thing is that it broke me out. Otherwise I would definitely repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by VanRaamsdonk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finish: For my combo/oily skin, the finish can depend on the weather. In the winter, I'd say the finish is semi-matte. In the summer, I'd say it's more of a satin finish. I absolutely LOVE the finish of it! It looks natural. One thing that should be noted is that if you have dry patches on your face or flakies from a Retin-A regimen, sheer glow will probably cling to them. When my face was a wreck from the first month of taking retin-a, it clung to the flakies on my face, so I did switch foundations at that time. Then again, I find that the majority of foundations will stick to those areas anyways (particularly retin-a flakies).

Coverage: Medium to full, buildable. I love the coverage. It evens out my tone unevenness just right, without looking unnatural (mask like). When I'm out at night, I can build up the coverage to get more of a flawless, airbrushed look.

Wear: It wears pretty well, especially considering my skin type. The older I've become the oilier my face is. I'm say I'm combo skin in general, but I'm more combo in winter (oily through T-zone and normal on cheeks) but I'm oily in summer. I apply my foundation at 7:00AM and (in summer when I'm oily) I blot with tissue at around 2:00PM, and might blot again before I leave work (4:45) just to be sure I'm not going to get too shiny before hitting the gym. In winter, it wears even better (of course). It's not the longest lasting fdtn in the world (like Revlon Colorstay or EL Double Wear), but considering all of its other wonderful traits, it's still amazing. Also, it removes easily- that's one thing you WON'T get with extreme lasting fdtn's- those fdtn's have to power hosed off your face practically, but not NARS SG. My current routine to remove my NARS SG is to use Huggies Natural baby wipes (with aloe and vitamin e) and then follow up with my Olay Pro-X (similar to Clarisonic) and Aveeno Calming Foaming cleanser. NARS SG does not clog my pores at all.

Application: I've used filbert style fdtn brushes, the Beauty Blender sponge, MAC 109 (I found this brush to cause the Sheer Glow to stick MORE to drier areas), and the Simga F80 Flat Top Kabuki brush. My FAVORITE way of applying Sheer Glow is with my Sigma F80. Holy moly, that brush is the BOMB schnizzell (especially with NSG)- it's like they were meant for each other. Sigma F80 is to NSG as peanut butter is to jelly ;)

Dupes: It's been said that Neutrogena Healthy Skin is NARS SG dupe. I'd have to say... not exactly. I wore Neutro HS for a while. The differences between these two is that NHS doesn't wear as long, NHS offers only BEIGE and pink shades (not yellow like NSG), NHS has more moisture to it (I feel like) so it has a dewier finish on me in summer months and a satin finish on me in winter, making the coverage not quite as full as SG.

Price: $42 USD, which is expensive, but I love it SO much I don't mind the price. I would HATE this price if I had to buy two shades to mix, but there's such a great shade range, that I found a FLAWLESS match (which brings me to my next point)...

Shade Selection: Excellent amount of shades, but almost all shades in this line are yellow toned. My perfect matching shade is Fiji (my undertones are pretty yellow- NC25 in MAC for reference).

Packaging: Nice, classic type packaging, but I would love to see a pump on this product, especially considering the price (it should include one). NARS: please give us a pump on this product. :)

Scent: I've never noticed if there's a scent.

Overall: This is MY HG! I freaking LOVE this foundation and hells yes, I will repurchase this again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by elleLuv5

I've been using sheer glow for almost a year and I thought I'd already written a review for it!! This is definitely HG foundation for me. I wear punjab. I have dry skin which in the winter time can be extreme (flaky and crackly looking skin, I know gross!). I think this is a great foundation for us who unfortunately have dehydrated skin. However, for winter months you can't really rely on the sheer glow to give you that extra layer of moisture and hydration. The key then will be your moisturizer. Otherwise, you will end up having your dry skin appear flaky and cracking. I use EVOO and cetaphil cream underneath and both work great for me. No problems with coverage. A little goes a long way and it is buildable. It covers my little bit of redness on my left cheek. Also, it lasts all day without using a setting powder. It provides a nice satin, flawless finish. I like how I don't get a matte look, as someone with dry skin..the matte finish is just not for me. There's a tiny bit of dewy-ness to it which I love. It doesn't feel heavy and wears light. The bottle lasted me about 8 months. It's not cheap but definitely worth it especially if it lasts you that long! The no pump thing is definitely annoying as most have mentioned. It can get messy around the mouth of the bottle and inefficient. I really hope the change the bottle and include a pump as the current one is not hygienic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 2:24:00 AM More reviews by bubblysteph

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a nice foundation for my normal to dry skin though I doubt if it will be moisturizing enough for people with really dry skin. I think I will need some extra moisturizer if I use this during winter. Well, at least it stays put well during the hot and humid summer here. I'd consider this as a rather light foundation on my skin as when I have this foundation on my face, I won't have the "stuffy" feeling. Also, it doesn't oxidize on me and pretty much transfer-free as well. This gives sheer to medium buildable coverage with satin finish? This is not dewy and definitely not completely dead matte as well.

The major issue I have with this foundation is that it cakes on drier skin flakes. You may argue that most foundation does but my Cle de Peau Refining Fluid Foundation doesn't. Ok, I probably shouldn't complain as the CdP costs a bit more than twice of SG. Well, other than this and the stupid pour bottle packaging, I'm happy with this foundation and may repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by odubkids

Love this foundation, provides sheer coverage, but definitely can be built to heavy coverage without looking cakey.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by muffingrl

This is one of my favorite foundations in my collection. It gives a solid medium coverage and lasts for a reasonable amount of time. Application is smooth and easy. The finish is absolutely beautiful, very satiny and skinlike. The color match is better than most of my other foundations. I have a very yellow undertone and most yellow toned foundations are not yellow enough. I wear this in Light 5 Fiji, I do think I need to go up a shade though for summer. I prefer to wear this foundation during winter because it is slightly more hydrating and my winter dryness prolongs the wear of this foundation. At $42, this is not my everyday foundation, this is very much my "going out" foundation. I am near the end of my bottle though, and I don't quite want to repurchase just yet, but I will definitely do so in the future!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used the shade Ceylan when I'm my natural NC20 colour and mix Stromboli and Syracause when I'm tan (NC37/C4). Ceylan and Stromboli match my yellow tones nicely, and Syracause has a good mix of tan and peach tones, not pink or yellow or orange.

The texture is relatively quite thin but not watery, provides light-medium coverage (buildable) and evens out my skintone/covered redness. It feels nice and lightweight on my skin and looks natural...my skin but better. Infact, I think my skin looks really clear when I wear this, almost airbrushed. The finish is gives is a soft satin that gets more glowy as the day passes and the foundation mixes with your natural oils. It doesn't get greasy on me even if I don't use primer or setting powder.

However, there are some downfalls with this foundation. First of all, it can be rather streaky upon application even when moisturizing well beforehand. Second is the longevity - this is not a super long lasting foundation and will not hold up extremely well in warm weather. It transfers a lot aswell. Not something I'd expect when I pay nearly £30 for a foundation. The packaging is horrible aswell, but I refuse to pay an extra £5-6 for a pump.

Overall it's a nice foundation despite it's negatives. I would repurchase.