September 22, 2014 | 1584 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 2:11:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I reviewed this under my old username and I hated it. It was a while back, so I said to myself...why not, let me try it again. I'm always trying new cleansers to incorporate in my skincare routine and the search for a gentle, yet effective cleanser that will prevent breakouts and rinse off the craploads of makeup I have to wear for work seems to be damn near impossible. The one I've used for years, Neutrogena acne wash is HG but I'm looking for something "more gentle" since the neutrogena has salicylic acid. The board members seem to love this so once again, I went and got it.
I actually looooove the way my skin feels right after I cleanse with this. I do have to use gentle makeup wipes to remove makeup first and then use this. I also love the fragance in this.
But of course, after using this a couple of times it became clear why I didn't stick with it. I'd say after like 5-10 minutes, my skin was a dry, flaky hot mess. I mean...white flakes ALL OVER! This dried my face out something fierce! Then the next day I would wake up with tiny red and white little bumps here and there.
I didn't think it would be smart for me to continue use so I can't say if my face would have gotten used to it and eventually work for me.
The price, to be honest, seems a bit high. Love the pump bottle.
Too bad because I loved the feeling only *right after* I cleansed.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 4:26:00 AM More reviews by aquagirl15

I always come back to this. It's such a good price for such an effective and gentle cleanser. it gets rid of makeup and leaves skin feeling fresh and clean without drying or stripping the skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by ellaneza

horrible stuff!! i usually like cetaphil products, thinking that this would be a subtle face wash for my skin. but little did i know, this would have a stinging sensation on my face. the texture is weird, and it takes a lot of face wash just to get the make up off. you'll know if it's a bad cleanser if it can't even get your make up off your face. i had to start using make up wipes before i used this cleanser. however, i will stop using it, and just use it as a body wash because it felt way too harsh on my face! i was so disappointed with this product. i expected a lot from cetaphil. however, i will still be using their moisturizing cream.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by sweetheart519

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do love Cetaphil lotions/creams and bar soap. But I do not like this cleanser. It feels slimy, for one. But it also seemed to make me break out more. I do not know why. I switched to Purpose for my face and couldn't be happier. I still use Cetaphil body cream and bar soap though.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2008 2:38:00 AM More reviews by lsco

Without a doubt the worst cleanser I have tried. I bought this thinking it would be a gentle face wash I could use with my prescription acne medication. Instead, it left my skin feeling tight and dry, and brought on bad acne in places where I'd never had any.

I persisted with this for over three months, thinking that my breakouts were due to the weather or the ineffectiveness of my medication. Nonetheless, when I started using Neutrogena my skin cleared up a lot.

Although my skin is ten times better since I stopped using this product, I still have dark marks from the bad breakouts it caused. I don't know how long it will take for these to clear, so I've had to invest in expensive products to help the process along. I'm now wishing I gave up on this product earlier!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by reyiru

I've been using this for about two to three weeks on my combo, acne-prone skin:
pros - good creamy texture, not high foaming (which is drying imo); cleansed fairly well but I don't use heavy makeup or sunscreen; left no residue

cons - hate the smell, way too strong; butylene glycol which may be the cause of these under the skin bumps that I felt; slightly irritating and dryingl; I don't think it agrees with my skin overall

I would not rebuy.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by dvdgal

I dont think I will ever change to other cleanser after using this one. I have oily skin, so the gentle one is really too gentle for my taste. Don't feel like I've washed my face at all using the gentle one. But this one esp for oily skin fits my profile perfectly. I tried Acne.org's cleanser before since it's BP is amazing; however, too drying to me. This one is perfect. Everyone should try it.

Update on 6/22/2010 - This cleanser is getting too dying for me after I turned 30 year old. Now I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser instead.

Update on 2/2/2011 - Switched to Johnson & Johnson Baby Shower gel. It takes off every trace of makeup and sunscreen and cheaper. I also use it for washing my makeup brushes!

Updates on 08/05/2013
Abandoned J&J and switched to Cerave. Cerave is stronger than J&J to remove makeup, foams well and gentle to face. The major issue I have for Cetaphil is the strong perfume.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Ravey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i've been using this for about 4 months and it's officially the only cleanser i'll use on my face ever again. my dermatologist recommended it to me as i have very sensitive skin -0- which is also very dry, but she told me to get the normal-oily kind because the finish on the dry skin variety is too oily. it doesn't clog my pores, is very gentle and doesn't dry out my skin immediately after washing like other brands have (i was using neutrogena previously) my only complaint is that if i put it on my face undiluted it tends to burn, but this is because my face is very sensitive blah. otherwise it's great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 4:24:00 AM More reviews by PansyWansyLinsy

I've been through a variety of facial cleansers over the years, and I've had experience with your average over the counter cleansers like Neutrogena, Clearasil, Noxema (anyone remember that one), etc. as well as some higher end ones like Estee Lauder, Clinique, and ProActiv (if you can call it high end). I have combination type skin with dry cheeks, oily T-zone, nose and chin. I have dry patches on the areas around my mouth and nose, so I have to be careful to buy a cleanser that won't dry out those areas, but will take care of the other extremely oily areas of my face.

The over the counter stuff like St. Ives was serviceable, but Neutrogena, Clearasil, etc were absolutely useless. In fact, the latter two products really irritated my skin even causing red puffiness and scaly dryness when I did switch products. ProActive was just as terrible because my face was red, inflamed, and dry for days. My skin probably had the worst reaction to that product. There's parts of the months where my skin is especially prone to breakout, so I needed a strong enough cleanser that would also help stave off the especially large zits.While the Estee Lauder cleanser was probably the closest product to fulfilling my needs, it was also a little pricey.

After hearing all these rave reviews about Cetaphil, I decided to give it a try. Best decision of my life because it did everything that I needed to do at a great price and value. It took off my makeup, it didn't dry out my skin, and like some have mentioned on here, there's this feeling of refreshing cleanliness that you get after using it. It does occasionally dry out the more sensitive areas of my skin (around the nose and mouth), but my skin is especially vulnerable to that certain times of the year anyway.Some drawbacks, like some have all ready mentioned, there's hardly any lather with this product either. That did bother me initially because I was so used to that aspect with all my other cleansers, but I soon got used to it because it did its job regardless of whether I got a lather or not.

I can't say enough about this product because for the longest time I had been searching for the perfect cleanser for my sensitive, overly-difficult skin. For the price and the overall effectiveness of the product, Cetaphil is probably the best cleanser out there.

I would also like to leave a small disclaimer for some of the dissenting reviews. I think it's a given fact that everyone's skin is different. While some products may work for others, it will most obviously not work for some. The fact that Cetaphil seems to work for a majority of its users speaks to the testament of the product. I don't think it's the product that is radically flawed, but rather the difference in skin types that is to blame here. (My honest opinion)

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by s0605037

i used to swear by this cleanser until i used something else that actually helped my acne-prone skin. this is great as a gentle cleanser if you dont have any specific skin needs...but i need something that will really unclog my pores. i wish this was all i needed, but unfortunately i need something a bit stronger. was also surprisingly a bit drying on me even though i have oily skin