MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 4/12/2010 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have a very tan/olive-golden complexion and have always had trouble with MAC foundations in the past as they always came out orange on me. I used to be NC42 (apparently) and hated the shade, but this time I got matched to NW35 - which is pretty much perfect. This confuses me as NW was, as far as I know, for shades with pink tones. However I have deduced that NC are simply too orange and I guess TOO warm on me, and I suggest that those who found the foundation too orange to really try the other side. The MA seemed to understand my skintone in a flash and knew what products would and would not work for me.

I don't know what's in this product, but this was my first venture back into MAC foundations for YEARS because I swore I hated them so much.... anyway I reluctantly and desperately ran to the MAC store on the night of my 21st birthday party in a panic over my crazy hormone wrecked skin. I was intent on buying the Studio Fix powder foundation but the MA kept advising me against it. I kept telling her I had oily skin but she told me I didn't.... THEN she took me to the mirrors there and showed me my face.. I saw such an horrible sight! From the facial I had previously, my skin - rather than being spotty or oily in the slightest - now had developed huge dry SCALY patches of skin all along my chin/jaw which I had been completely unaware of all day, I dont know when/how that came about. I was totally embarassed once I realised I had walked into this store looking like that. In the shock of this I willingly took in every recommendation the MA gave me, one of them being that my olive skin requires an NW foundation (still dont understand this, but it works!) and the second - that I should use this STUDIO SCULPT *THING* which I never read the reviews on here for, so was completely unsure of what I was getting into!

ANYWAY to the point, its been a few days since and Ive worn this everyday and I have grown to love it so so so SO MUCH. I dont know why this bland looking foundation seems to work so well on my *combination* skin. My oily t-zone always seems matte, not overly matte... just entirely normal under this, while my cheeks and jaw and everywhere else seem completely hydrated. I havent changed my skincare, only this. At work I actually had someone approach me and ask "Who DID your face?" and I was like huh? I work at Boots so she must have assumed one of the Chanel or Lancome beauty consultants did a makeover for me or something before my shift lol... I was slightly offended at the thought that people think my makeup is usually a crap job but yet flattered that she thought I looked that great.

I dont know what the hell is in this stuff, or why it works for me so well, but all I can say is - a foundation has never looked so natural, so radiant and so flawless on me. I thought MUFE HD was my HG but I've already given that away! I dont know what the secret in this is or why there are so many negative reviews, but what I do know is this is PERFECT for my combo skin, it has great staying power (zero touch ups required!) and I suggest anyone reading this to really give Studio Sculpt a try if you get a chance. Ive finally been converted back to MAC foundations.

Onto the foundation itself, I bought it in conjunction with the Select Cover Up concealer (NW35) and also the new Prep+Prime Brightening Serum, Prep+Prime SPF50 primer and Prep+Prime Finishing Powder. At first, the coverage did wear off a little but then I started applying it differently, using my fingers instead and patting extra coverage where needed. It feels so soft and smooth on my skin. After adding blusher etc I used the Prep+Prime Finishing Powder lightly straight after to set all my make up. THEN - this is key - 15 mins later, before I left the house I reapplied another round of powder - since then my foundation seems to stay put all day and I dont need to touch up. There wasnt even the slightest hint of shine on my nose after 5hrs. Without powder, it has an unusual consistency which leaves a soft/dewy feel on the skin which is nice for dry skintypes, but for me, my skin needs some powder. Also, this foundation always looks natural on me! It never looks cakey or blotchy and it did not ball up or wear off in patches. I know a lady who works at a middle range make up department who swears by Estee Lauder DoubleWear and I don't want to be mean but her make up always looks really cakey! Like layered on or something, and EL always looked maskey on me too, so having a foundation that looks and feels natural on the skin is so important to me and is why I love this so much more. Also liked how you can work this in many ways, from sheerest tinted moisturiser coverage, to full flawless skin coverage. **It is ALL in the application**. You just need to play around with it more. And also, I would not dream of using it with another primer, or even another finishing powder, I think this combination of MAC products works best for me (no Im not affiliated with MAC!). I could skip the serum (which I have no opinion on atm), but the primer and powder are awesome for a long lasting flawless look!

Been using Lancome's Oil Cleanser (this foundation is supposed to be waterproof!) and follow up with my usual La Roche Posay foaming gel cleanser and my skin - so far - has been spot free. But I'm seriously acne prone (diet/hormone related) and usually give products at least 14 days of use before I see if they break me out, so I will update if that does indeed happen, otherwise assume the best!

Sorry for the long review!

UPDATE: Its so sad to say this :-( but I've started breaking out. Little sore whiteheads in random places of my face, couple on forehead/cheeks/etc - not used it as my acne is usually only on my jaw/chin area. Can't say 100% it was this, could have been the primer or powder, or the fact I came off BC, who knows.. you never know if this will work for you until you try it. Going back to MUFE :-(

on 4/12/2010 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Everything about this product made me want to love it, but I couldn't. I thought I would get this instead of studio fix fluid to prevent my sensative skin from breaking out. While using this product I had white acne like bumps on my skin [ I'm not saying it was studio sculpt but... ]

This on normal skin doesn't really apply well. I feel it would much better if you had much dryer skin since the product is a gel based.

This product wasn't for me but it may be for you give it a try because you can always return it to mac for some studio fix fluid and the pump.

on 4/11/2010 7:39:00 PM

very good coverage, seems to from 8am - 4pm until i need to retouch up with some powder, my face is slightly oily in the tzone area, so sometimes i notice it running a little on these areas, but most of the time it stays matt :0) also have selected a perfect match to my skin tone which is nc20

on 4/11/2010 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The foundation has some good qualities, but also some not so good qualities for me. The color match was good- I think I am normally NC 20 in MAC, but picked the NC 25 this time as NC 20 seemed a smidge too light. The coverage was just what I need- medium- I have some tone unevenness and this did the job of evening everything out. I had tried using a foundation brush and a Beauty Blender and my favorite was of getting the foundation was definitely the BB. This gives a natural finish- not matte, but not dewy either. Where my rub with this product is, is the texture. The gel base is very neat, however it never felt like it was "set" even though I would set it with either my Prep 'n' Prime Finishing Powder or MSF Natural in Medium Plus. It still felt almost wet. I am sure it's great for hydrating your skin, but I don't want to notice that my foundation is even there really... After about 4-6 hrs of wear, it would start to settle in my fine lines too. I won't be repurchasing.

on 4/8/2010 5:28:00 AM

I love this product!
I have a
- fair skin (nw15)
- combination skin
at first I thought it would make me break out, cause gelbase foundations are normally for people with dry skin, well apparently not. I love this to death, it makes my skin look so pretty and I don't need concealer anymore.

on 4/6/2010 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have fair skin but terribly redness that no dermatologist has been able to treat, so I really need a foundation that minimizes redness w/out the need to pancake it on. I had been using Bare Minerals for years but as I reached my 30's, my skin started changing and it was no longer working. I visited the MAC counter and this product was suggested. Was I ever pleased! I barely notice it is on and it gives me great coverage. I can go very light with coverage for day to day wear or a little heavier for going out and it still looks and feels great. I know many people swear by the brush and I did purchase a MAC brush to go with it, however, after a few months I found I actually prefer a sponge. YMMV.

on 4/4/2010 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely looove this foundation!!! I put it on with a coastal scents buffer brush and it looks absolutely flawless!!! It looks air brushed. I also love the consistancy which is like a mousse. Its not messy and so light. It offers light to med coverage which is perfect for me. I like to set it with the mineralize powder. I will definetly buy it again.

on 4/2/2010 8:25:00 AM

I have normal to combination skin. I was recommended this foundation by a guy that worked at MAC. He matched me to an NC35 which did look good in the bright light and did very well in covering blemishes, etc. However, I did not like the heavy feel of it but I purchased it anyway. I have tried many methods of applying this foundation, using the 191 foundation brush, the 187 stippling brush, sponges, my own fingers, etc. The best was using my own fingers. What I liked about this foundation was how it covered everything, my dark circles, etc without me needing to use concealer, but what I don't like is the heavy feeling of it. Even when I do use a primer (Mac prep + prime foundation primer and translucent powder), it looks good for the first hour, then it goes really really oily looking and wipes off! I was appalled when I was on my phone for a few minutes, then got off and left foundation residue on my iphone. I also had to be careful when blowing my nose as it completely wipes off the foundation and I have to blend it in again. Plus it did look a bit yellow/dark on me which I didn't really like. What I did like was the packaging. It came in a tube which is convenient to carry in my make up bag and its more hygienic. What I don't like is how it makes me look oily, smudges off easily and the heavy feel of having make up packed on my face no matter which method I used to apply my foundation. Overall, I'll give it 3/5.

on 3/31/2010 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't like this foundation much. I found the shades to run terribly orange (I'm an NC35-37 and tried the shades from NC30 up to NC40)....I couldn't find a good colour match for my yellow undertoned skin. However, I did purchase a tube because I thought I could make it work for me. How wrong I was....

The colour is disgusting. Makes me look like a tangerine on Haloween. The consistency sounded great in theory - a gel - but in reality I find it to be very thick. The SA said this would give me light/medium coverage (the only type of coverage I like basically) but this looks so heavy on my face, no matter how little I apply. It's obvious I'm wearing makeup. I don't see how this could look natural on anybody. I've tried using fingers, sponges, brushes....all methods look nasty.

I have normal-combo skin and whilst this does last all day, I found it to get a little slimy and greasy after a few hours. I remember meeting my boyfriend for coffee and popping to the bathroom...I took one look in the mirror and my face looked so horrible. It was oily and I looked like I slapped makeup on in the dark. I actually looked like a drag queen. In photographs that I took, it looked alright, but still, it looked like I had tonnes of makeup on.

I also experienced some small breakouts from this, whiteheads in particular. None of my other foundations break me out. I think the heaviness of this foundation is what caused it. My skin felt like it was covered in cling-film.

I would definately not repurchase this. The packaging is great but that's about it.

on 3/30/2010 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been on a search for a foundation for so long now.....and I think I may have found it!!!
I purchased this Saturday in NW20.....I have used other MAC foundations such as Studio Fix Fluid and have had terrible breakouts or the color just did not match when I brought it home.
This shade matches so close that I cant tell I have it looks like my skin...just better.
I tried applying on Monday with the small MAC skunk brush and did not like the results, so I smoothed it out with a sponge. I bought the yellow Essence of Beauty foundation/concealer combo and used Monistat chafing gel as my primer and the results were wonderful. I have not experienced any breakouts so far.... and I say that with confidence that I will not have any because if I had been using SFF I would have had horrible breakouts.
I would say that the coverage is medium and it covers pretty well. You really only need a small eally goes along way. As for oil control, I would say it was average. When purchasing this foundation, the color match and breakout factor were my most important concern.
I know that MAC foundations are known for their tendancy to oxidize...... this stays true to the color.
I finish this off with MAC Prep and Prime translucent finishing powder and no oilies at least until lunchtime.
I will purchase this long as it does not break me out! Will provide an update later.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv