Chanel No.5

3.5

on 5/25/2006 6:09:00 PM

I completely understand the history and love affair that women have with this perfume. I also respect Ms. Chanel herself and her talent and contributions to fashion and art as we speak. Afterall it was the first synthetically made perfume on the market! Right there something isn't sitting too well in my stomach. I love her clothes, hate her fragrances. This scent I picture on an older mature woman. It smells funky to me and artificial. It never ever was appealing to me. I don't know quite what it is really. I would pick up a sample before purchasing the perfume.

on 5/14/2006 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I have the parfum, and it truly is classic and unlike any other, which was the designers' purpose. My fav from chanel is no. 19, and this one is second. it is sexy, comforting, and warm.

on 5/14/2006 7:47:00 PM

I like this fragrance, but would not wear it reguarly myself. My mom wore this often so I cannot help but associate this with her. I always thought it was a grownup, sophisticated smell, appropriate for formals or evening occasions. It is extremely potent; one drop on my sleeve caused my entire closet to smell of Chanel No. 5. But there is a good reason this perfume is such a classic.

My grandmother wore this when i was little and i guess it has memory qualities for me. I suppose a bit like a very expensive Demeter fragrance! I like the way this smells on my clothes but not on my skin. Now, i'm an Angel fan and it works for me but this, although a more mature scent, i think it smells like marzipan. Try it, i didn't think so either until someone told me that i smelled like it. Either way, its a nice enopugh perfume but not something that i reach for that often.

on 5/13/2006 10:53:00 AM

I have to confess that I have never tested it on my skin, because the scent in the bottle doesn't invite me to feel curious at all but rather the opposite. I have sniffed the bottle everytime I'm out hunting for a new fragrance - maybe to understand why this legendary perfume is so loved. But:
I really don't like it! Not even on others. (Sorry, Marilyn..)
It smells old english lady in a mansion, tweed, foxhunting and horses, snobbish afternoon tea, pearls and white silk blouses, and a posh upper class accent. This image is not that bad, so I guess I just classified it as timeless and classy fragrance. But I still don't like this scent.
To me it smells too much powder and too dry, even dusty. I din't find it soft, sexy, and not even sweet or sensual. It is just dry - like wood panelling and old powder. But I know I just have to try it once, if I just could force myself to do that. Strangely, the ingredients is not offencive to me at all, just in this combination it seems. I think it is this combination of vetiver, neroli and aldehydes I don't like.
Top notes : Neroli, Ylang-Ylang, Aldehydes.
Middle notes : Jasmine,Rose.
Base notes : Sandalwood, Vetiver, Vanilla.

Very fav fragrance of all time...I have been wearing Chanel No. 5 for 20+ years...my father bought me my first bottle in Paris when I was visiting him my first year out of high school and I love it to this day. It is classic, chic and simply a beautiful scent. Will love it forever....

on 4/30/2006 6:35:00 PM

I tried some on in the store. It smelled good in the bottle, but it just smelled nasty on me and my mother. I guess it doesn't work with our body oils.

on 4/30/2006 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I remember getting this for Christmas as a teenager, and it seemed like the world of adulthood was just a little bit closer when I sniffed it on my wrist. I cannot isolate specific notes--just marvellously blended perfection. Absolutely not my personality now, but I love to smell it on anyone else.

Got myself to buy one, since I wanted a classic sophisticated piece of history in my collection. I smelled it on some more mature women (I'm 28 myself) and I thought it brings out style and personality, however on me it is too heavy and I feel like I'm "not in my skin".

on 4/12/2006 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is another one of those "love it in the bottle, hate it on me" perfumes. Just didn't work with my body chemistry. Too bad. I really wanted it to work for me.

Popular Fragrances