Chanel No.5

3.5

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Every so often I'll go into a store to sample this fragrance to see if my opinion of it changes, and every time I leave wondering why anyone would like this overpowering fragrance that screams, "I'm wearing perfume"! Bleech. I just don't know what it is about it, but to me it is just too heavy, too pretentious, and reminds me of a moth-ball filled closet. IMHO, it is exactly the opposite of sophistication, like someone is just trying far too hard.

No5 is probably the first perfume that legitamized a need for the phrase "an acquired taste" because that's exactly what it is. At the time it came out it was a radical presence. Everything from the name, to the ingredients, to the bottle were avant garde. The house of Chanel in general is responsible for so much, it's hard to imagine where 20th century womens culture would have gone without it. No5 is my HG fragrance and being 21, I don't feel that makes me an old lady. Jasmine is easily the strongest floral to center any fragrance around which made it a good choice for a product with such a strong image. I think the image of No5 is half of its appeal - part nouveau riche deconstruction, part aloof seduction, part aldehydic composition. But all female. If the parfum or toilette is too strong for you, you must get your hands on the Sensual Elixir! It is one of the honest to God sexiest things you will ever smell. And on an observational note, I find it funny that so many people refer to this as the ultimate blonde fragrance because I thought I was the only one that thought so - I'm blonde, it's my signature and every brunette I know brushes it right off. Ironic as it was commandeered by a brunette.

i love this perfume it's like it's made only for me wearing it smelling good helps me beeing myself and my whole life always gives me a nice smile if i need one

I know there are thousands of women out there who adore this stuff but I am definetly not one of them! I don't know if it doesn't mix well with my skin chemistry or what but whenever I spray this one I just want to wash it off.
The smell of it reminds me of my mother...very potent kind of "in your face" fragrance of a too confident woman in my opinion.

Hmmm, I tried this many a time but cannot doubt the fact that it smells so much better on my mother.
Plus the fact that my husband says I smell like his mother when I wear it kind of puts me off.
I do love the smell though, its light and understated and timeless.
Shame the mothers got there first.

Hmm, this scent is intereseting. I dont own the whole bottle, but I have a trail sample. Its Very light & crisp, and completely elegant & classic. However, I would not wear this perfume, not until my older years. I'd probably use this the time I turn 40.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I used to dislike this, but would wear it anyway. Gradually I have come to like this very much and often receive compliments which is always nice. Truly a classic.

Gorgeous fragrance, that also holds memories for me. It was my mother's favorite "dressy" perfume. I sometimes just take the cap off my EDP to smell it and it conjures up thoughts of my mom.Having said that, this is a very strong, sexy fragrance that begs to be worn by an independent and confident woman. It smells like money to me! And it definitely makes a statement - leaving a gentle reminder of your aura behind after you have left. It was the first synthetic fragrance of its time - very modern and (at the time) shockingly bold. Good stuff! continued >>

I loved the scent! I only tried the sample not the full bottle. At first when i tried it at the store, i thought it was abit too strong for my liking....but after shopping around getting my cosmetic, i find that the fragrance blend in very well with my body chemistry, not too overpowering anymore, more soapy smell but of expensive brand i suppose haha but anyway, the reason i only get a small sample of it (the SA was nice enough to give me one as i linger quite awhile at the store just smelling Chanel No.5, perhaps to buzz me off hahaha!) and that i didn't get it is because it's too expensive for me as im still in school that time and now after working, i still didn't want to buy it....oh well, Chanel is just too high-ended for me!:P

I completely understand the history and love affair that women have with this perfume. I also respect Ms. Chanel herself and her talent and contributions to fashion and art as we speak. Afterall it was the first synthetically made perfume on the market! Right there something isn't sitting too well in my stomach. I love her clothes, hate her fragrances. This scent I picture on an older mature woman. It smells funky to me and artificial. It never ever was appealing to me. I don't know quite what it is really. I would pick up a sample before purchasing the perfume.

Popular Fragrances