November 27, 2014 | 1337 users online

Toners - Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2005 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Fhorn

Second, I'm so mad that I spent ridiculous amounts of money on skincare products, that were probably actually causing my clogged pore problem. Turns out everything I needed for clear skin was in my medicine cabinet and kitchen. I now use vaseline to cleanse and remove makeup and to moisturize, aspirin mask, the apple cider vinegar toner and a green tea and vitamin c serum every evening and my skin looks great. I use the ACV as a rinse for my hair after I've shampood. Twice a week I use retin-a micro. I have sensitive eyes and suffer from allergic conjuctivitis but these products do not irritate it. Now I can spend my money on good food and nice clothes, and feel better about myself.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2005 10:08:00 AM More reviews by carekate

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

You want to know how awesome this ACV toner is? On Friday, I had a nasty zit forming on my cheek. I applied a compress of my homemade Yonka 'Emulsion Pure' to bring it to a head, and was able to extract the pimple on Saturday. That night, I used my homemade aspirin mask, followed w/ the ACV toner, then used the aspirin mask and toner again on Monday morning. The result: not only is the zit gone, but so is the red mark! I mean, you can’t even tell that a couple days ago I had a huge pimple on my face – all the evidence is completely erased.

For those of you who are still skeptical, here are some of the benefits of ACV toner:

• helps even out skin tone;

• smoothes out your skin's texture;

• helps minimizes the size and appearance of pores;

• dries up and reduces redness from breakouts almost over night;

• helps regulate oil production;

• impart's to your skin "a radiant glow."

Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar
• Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled or purified is better!)
• Green Tea -- optional
• Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals -- optional
• Ylang Ylang essential oil -- optional
• Lemon essential oil -- optional

What you do:

• Step 1: Fill bottle 1/3 full with ACV (may increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more vinegar for oilier skin and less for dry skin. If you plan to add green tea and other ingredients to your toner, follow steps 2-4 below, otherwise just add water to fill bottle to brim.

• Step 2: Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and Vit-C).

• Step 3: Add 25 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether).

• Step 4: Measure out one level teaspoon of Vit-C crystals and add to bottle with ACV and green tea. Shake bottle vigorously to dissolve crystals (if they do not dissolve right away, simply put lid on bottle and let sit for an hour to allow Vit-C crystals to solubilize in the solution. Once the Vit-C crystals have completely dissolved, your toner is ready for use. Shake well before using. The above 'recipe' should yield enough toner for a one-month supply.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

I'm using simple, "grocery-store" ACV (look in the condiment/salad dressing aisle) which costs less than $1.00USD for 16 ounces, but you can buy more 'exotic' apple cider vinegars from health food stores.

Likewise, I bought my green tea at the supermarket (make sure you get one that is 100% green tea with no additional ingredients/flavors added), a box of 20 tea bags for around $3.00USD. Distilled water is available at the supermarket in the bottled water aisle for around 75˘ per gallon. Ylang Ylang essential oil is available at health food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods for about $7.99 for an 1-ounce bottle).

Hint: If you're hoping to find essential oils cheaper on Ebay or something, make sure that the Y-Y oil is stored in an amber or dark-blue glass bottle, because essential oils can be degraded by direct sunlight like from a clear glass bottle. I got my Vit-C crystals at Whole Foods for around $9.99USD for a big bottle (enough to yield *dozens* of batches of ACV super toner or homemade Vit-C serum!), but you can also order it online.

FYI: You can customize the above recipe to fit your skin’s specific needs simply by adding a couple of drops of the essential oils that are recommended for your skin type. Click on this link (or cut & paste link into address field on your web browser) for a guide to essential oils and their use/benefits in skincare: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

UPDATE: Ooooh, I just added 5 drops of Lemon essential oil to my ACV super toner and it’s just fantastic! The combined aroma of the Ylang Ylang and Lemon oils almost completely cancels out the vinegary smell, so for those bothered by that, try adding a bit of those oils and see if that makes it more tolerable for you.

BTW, here’s the benefits of Lemon oil:

• LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin ,and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long-term application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.

125 out of 129 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2005 8:46:00 PM More reviews by crazy3101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG this stuff is making my skin so clear and perfect! I cant believe how good my skin looks and feels. This is my HG of toners I cant believe how much tis stuff has made a difference I love it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2005 10:49:00 AM More reviews by cyndilou

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is great! For those of you wondering, YES, the brand makes a difference. BRAAGS is unfiltered, raw and organic. Grocery store stuff like Heinz has been pasturized, and all the enzymes are gone.

It's also great fr your body to drink a tablespoon or two of ACV. It's an antiseptic, neutralizes the acids in your body and clears up pimples from the inside out. Take it like a shot, and chase it with some Diet Coke or OJ. They get rid of the taste fast.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2005 6:57:00 PM More reviews by nybor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is so amazing. The first time I used this I noticed a HUGE difference in my skins texture. Soo soft and smooth! the two pimples I had near my nose were gone the next day. I mixed 1 tsp of ACV with 3 tsp of water. It stings a bit when you put it over pimples, but it really helps. It really makes a huge difference. I didn't use the Bragg's brand, though :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2005 2:47:00 AM More reviews by jenna88chu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first tried this with a half and half vinegar and water ratio, and it was too strong for my sensitive skin and made me break out into a red rash for a few days. I stayed away for about a month, before I tried it again. Now I dilute it about 1:3 and my face is absolutely clear and glowing. I've never seen my face look this smooth before.. My red marks from hormonal acne are fading and I haven't gotten a new pimple in ages =) I've used it about a month now on the weaker solution and wish I could use it more than 1-2x a day =)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2005 11:09:00 PM More reviews by nani51

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i've heard of this but never tried it until today. my dad is a nuts about healthy stuff and he brought a bottle of this. i put it on and when it dried the result was so noticable. my skin is so much smoother, and softer. the smell however is horrible i ended up spraying meself with a body spray to get rid of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2005 7:41:00 PM More reviews by tuktoyaktuk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I read about this on the skincare board and thought to give it a shot as I had a HUGE and stubborn cystic pimple on my chin that was angry and red and wouldn't go away. I made up a small batch of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water and used it as a toner. 2 nights later, my pimple was practically gone, and so was the redness! I was very impressed!! Now, about 2 weeks after starting this, I have noticed that my skin is more even toned and smoother and all my blemishes are gone. I haven't noticed my skin drying out, but I do follow up with a strong moisturiser. I only use it at night, mainly because of the smell. I don't mind it myself but others might. I now make it with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water. This recipie is a keeper and has replaced my aspirin toner which became less effective as time went on, and dried me out.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2005 1:07:00 AM More reviews by GlassSand

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this, and I gave it about a month's time to try it out. I think i do see a slight difference in my skin at the beginning, but my skin's starting to really break out again. I will contiue to try it and up date if i notice anything different. It does take off make up, but it can really dry up your skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2005 4:13:00 AM More reviews by jezseeca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Why do i always use this up? Because there's a million uses for it! I totally forgot i could use it as a toner until i reread MUA postings... i have been using it in my bath (about 1/2 cup) and it really revives me and my sore muscles! great stuff... used to use it as a hair rinse as well for extra shine.