NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 7/30/2012 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Skin type first: combination, oily, acne prone, sensitive skin,

Also allergic reactions to some ingredients often used in makeup, and I am Fair Skinned. I have larger pores and scarring from both Acne and a dog bite I received on my face as a small child. Using a Mac System, I am usually between NC-NW 07-10. I have to mix NC and NW together. NC is too pink, and NW too yellow. I have a warmer undertone to my pale skin, but it is more neutral/warm. I haven't worn makeup in years (outside of special occasions) and I have just currently jumped back in to the game of makeup. I had to give up completely on Mac Makeup. The bismuth oxychloride makes me itch horribly and break out. ANY yeast and wheat proteins also break me out. All of these things are in Mac.

I am testing out three kinds of Foundation currently. Kat Von D's new foundation lock-it. Nars Sheer Glow (In Mont Blanc and Gobi). And Tarte's Amazonian Clay (in Fair).

If you like sheer, light, and possibly medium coverage with a demi-matte to satin finish (with a primer and setting powder), this Foundation is wonderful. I don't "feel" it on my skin. After carefully reading ingredient lists a million times, this was one of the foundations I settled on trying out. It is NOT buildable past medium coverage. It will become very cakey if it is even possible to keep building it. Sheer to light is best really. More coverage than a BB cream. I used Nars concealer with this and I like how the two combine seamlessly for me.

I apply this the same way I do all liquid and cream foundations, with a damp non-latex stipple sponge. I always moisturize, use a primer, and setting powder. I have Oily/Combinations skin, but I often have flaking, (go figure). I have to exfoliate often and gently. This Foundation does not accentuate lines or flaking for me when I apply it with a sponge. On drier days, I may have to mist with a hydrating spray, on humid days (NC weather) I will have to blot or re-powder depending on humidity, otherwise it will start to become to moist on my skin and the makeup will start to transfer or shift a little.

Optimally, In doors, this makeup will last me eight to nine hours(may need to blot or re-powder my nose since makeup always transfers off my nose) Possibly longer, but since I don't work more than 9 hours, I wash my face when I get home so my skin can breathe. I don't believe any makeup whether I "feel" it or not allows the skin to "breathe". Also, Ten hours is about the tops for me with this foundation. At that point, if I look closely at my skin I notice it doesn't look as nice as it did when I first put it on hours ago. It doesn't look bad, just not optimal. Which after nine to ten hours, most makeup won't look optimal. Outdoors, in July (NC) heat and humidity, Five to Six hours (without blotting or re-powdering, usually if I am at an outdoor event of some kind I do not have time or the luxury of reapplying or carrying around makeup).

This foundation has NO spf. Which is wonderful if you need to wear it for photography. No flash-back. If you are going to be outside, I would strongly suggest a sunscreen underneath your makeup since this contains none. However, I personally prefer makeup with SPF. I like to be able to choose the type of spf that is going to be on my skin.

For light to medium coverage days, I give this a Five out of Five. I like the finish. I like how long it lasts, and I like how it feels, or rather doesn't feel on the skin. The price is typical for foundations these days that aren't drug store. I don't like the prices on anything actually, but it isn't over priced so I will leave it at five for that. I always want more product for my money. If they came in gallon jugs I would be much more pleased.

The packaging... I don't care about the pump, pumps often jam on me so it not coming with one doesn't particularly bother me. What does however is how small the opening of the product is. Always shaking my product before using it... I find air bubbles are often at the opening making it very difficult to easily get anything out of this bottle. I have resorted to using sanitized crafting sticks, dipping them into the bottle and swiping the product on my pallet.

::edit:: 01.06.2013
I haven't found a foundation that works as well as this one does for me. This is My HG foundation. In Gobi.

Edited: I finally accepted that I am sensitive to silicones. I can no longer use this product. I still think it's an excellent product and I recommend it to those who are not sensitive to any type of silicone.

This is the first foundation I've ever loved! My skin is oily with huge pores. My biggest issue with foundation is keeping my skin matte or semi-matte without drying out my skin and making my pores look even bigger. I have searched high and low for a foundation that will keep my skin glowy and moisturized looking and sort of "plump out" my pores while keeping my skin from becoming an oil slick by the end of the day. Sheer Glow is the winner!!

First of all, I love the application. The smooth texture feels like lotion going on. I was applying with my fingers for a long time and that was working great. I have recently been using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush which you can find at Ulta. Sheer Glow foundation with this brush gives a perfectly flawless finish! Sheer Glow, unlike a lot of foundations I've tried, is easy to brush out to an even finish.

Then, the finish. I know the name of the foundation is "Sheer Glow" but the finish is neither sheer nor glowy. It gives medium coverage which could be buildable if needed. I use a little extra around my nose and it doesn't get cakey. It doesn't glow, it just leaves skin looking natural and skin-like, not quite matte. It just looks perfect! My pores appear smaller, the oilies are controlled for a long time. I do have to blot maybe once in the late afternoon, but compared to many other products I've tried this is nothing. It also photographs awesome! This is a great selling point for me.

Third, color selection. If I had to have one gripe about this product that would be it. I am super picky about my foundation match and have tried many of the shades looking for the perfect match. The colors are very much on the yellow side, which is ok for me usually because I am golden/neutral toned. In the winter I am NC25 and Santa Fe is perfect. I originally tried Punjab and while the shade was okay, it was much too yellow for me. Santa Fe is more on the neutral side without being pink. Now in the summer is where I have the problem. My tanned skin is closer to NC35. I've tried Barcelona, which should be my color match at this point but dries too orangy for my liking. I think shade-wise I should be at Stromboli, but it is way too yellow/olive toned for me. I have found my perfect match by mixing 2/3 Barcelona to 1/3 Santa Fe. It's a bit of a hassle but totally worth it!
I also should say that the colors oxidize a bit, so if you find that the color is a bit light going on, it will dry down a slight darker.

Overall I think this foundation is a must-try. I have read that it can emphisize flakies and cause break outs in some folks, so getting a sample is your best bet.

on 7/20/2012 6:14:00 AM

This is my absolute HG foundation, I adore it! The shade I wear, Mont Blanc, is a perfect match to my skin tone and blends seamlessly. There is a wide selection of shades so it's likely that you'll be able to find a suitable match. The coverage isn't sheer as the name suggests, instead I find it to be medium to buildable and feel it wears well on my dry/combination skin (oily skins may find Sheer Matte to be better suited to them). I feel like it provides a flawless base but I do like to use concealer on imperfections for an airbrushed complexion and the finish is 'glowy' without looking greasy or oily in my opinion. The price is £29.50 for 30ml which is average price for high end foundations so I do not find it to be unreasonable. The packaging is a sturdy glass bottle which I quite like as it is weighty, however, the rubberised lid gets dirty easily, like all NARS packaging does but it is easily cleaned with a makeup wipe, it doesn't come with a pump which doesn't particularly bother me but I know it can be a deal breaker for some (thankfully NARS do now sell a pump separately). I would 100% buy this again as I have already repurchased it and will almost certainly continue to.

on 7/18/2012 5:26:00 AM

I love this foundation. I have this in Fiji, and it's perfect when I have self tanned.
I use it with the Sigma F80 or any Real Techniques face brush, and it looks so lovely on my skin. The coverage is pretty good, I would say it is medium. Not what i'd really call sheer, as it is not light coverage. In terms of finish, it is somewhere between dewey and matte on my skin.
I wore this to a wedding in very hot temperatures and it stayed put all day, also it photographs beautifully.

I'm going to buy this in a paler shade as well for the winter months. Overall, I'd repurchase, just a shame they don't include a pump (think this is about £3 extra). I have tried so many foundations over my time, this is definitely a keeper.

on 7/16/2012 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am quite surprised by this product I just purchased it the other day. First off their is nothing "sheer" about this foundation not to say it is a bad thing at least for me. I hate to admit but I have bad skin I have a lot of blemishes so I need a good coverage. Anyways I put this on with my fingers since the Sephora I went to did not carry the beauty blender
:(. And it automatically covered every thing I thought I would need a second layer but every thing was covered I was pleasantly surprised. I got the foundation in the shade Cadiz, I am a NC45/NC50 (I have to mix to get my perfect color) Cadiz matched me perfectly.

About the "glow" when first applying I did NOT notice a glow but when the foundation sinks in you can definitely see a difference almost like a glow from with in. I loved it.

So far this foundation is pretty good but I will be updating.

UPDATE::
This foundation is my new HG, I know people are not to crazy about foundations claiming skin care benefits but NARS really works for me my skin is way more smooth and even ever since are started using it everyday, I use to use Estee Lauder Double Wear which is a great foundation, but ever since I started using NARS my sin is looking way better this coming from some one who has struggled with my skin my whole entire life specifically my face. Great foundation even greater benefits.

on 7/15/2012 4:20:00 AM

I finally jumped on the bandwagon and got this product during my stay in NYC. Well it was a big mistake.
I really wanted to love the foundation as everybody is raving about it and loving it.
It is nice to apply with the beautyblender. I first primed my skin with the hourglass veil primer. The instant result is a flawless looking skin. But after one hour I looked like a greaseball. I tried it with a lot of different primers but this product is not really my friend.
I do have to tell that I have oily skin on certain days in the month, but usually I have a normal skin.
It is just nothing for me.

on 7/13/2012 11:31:00 AM

I'm sooooo glad I took the plunge on ASOS (student discount) and tried this!
I bought this in the shade Punjab, prob equivalent to MAC NC25. It's got a liquid, runny consistency which I think makes it easier to blend and get an even coverage. I think applying with fingers is one of best ways - I've tried buffing brushes but it doesn't give as nice a finish. It actually gives SUCH a nice flawless finish - not dewy but not totally matte.
Staying power is not amazing - if I've overloaded with moisturiser it will be quite oily by midday but if you prep skin correctly for your skin type it does wear quite well. For example blotting skin of excess oil inbetween moisturiser and applying foundation.
But as for that frigging bottle. Well I hadn't really had any problems till I packed it in my suitcase to take on holiday. WELL. BIG MISTAKE. It had all leaked and pooled into the lid. I was devastated - not only because of the mess but the waste of product!

Deff try and get a sample of this to see if it works for your skin type. I would recommend this to people with normal/combo and it can be buildable in coverage to suit your skin. I wish I bought the pump from the start but resented paying that much for it! I am a bit of a foundation fiend so am always looking out for the world's best foundation - but I do really like this so would repurchase again at some point :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Please see April 2015 update below.

So much has already been said, I'm keeping this review brief and to the point (not bothering to describe the product in detail):
- my shade is Siberia, it's quite yellow, but it's a cool(er) yellow
- you need to prep your skin well, as with most foundations, or this can look awful, really sitting on top of skin, not looking natural etc.**
- have had good luck with: flat foundation brush, mini flat foundation brush, damp sponge, fingers, using pressing/patting motions. Have had bad luck with: brushes that use more of a buffing action, dry sponge, using rubbing/buffing/dragging motions. **
- less is more, somewhat buildable coverage, stop when you're still thinking you could add more
- average-ish lasting power
- I only need to lightly powder it sometimes; never heavily powder, sometimes skip powder
- not sure if it has much of a 'glow' I find it more like demi-matte? don't believe it has any shimmer.
- can sink into pores **
- will absolutely show dry/flaky patches**
- color is a good neutralizer of my red cheeks
- for once, I seem to have found a foundation I can wear frequently without seeing an increase in acne. This is WHY this foundation is my go-to at the moment. **
- however I have not seen any skincare benefits (nor did I expect to)
- shake before use

Bonus Section - Packaging Woes:
ARGH.
I didn't buy the pump. Later I thought about it, but if you buy only the pump from the NARS website, along with shipping etc. the price becomes ridiculous for what you'll get. (AKA something that should have come with the product for free.)
The rubberized big square part of the cap IS REMOVABLE. If you pull that sucker off, you won't be doomed to have an ugly foundation top covered in foundation-y fingerprints. However, the small plastic cap underneath is WEAK.
Mine cracked (and I'm pretty gentle on makeup products). Now I'm having to put plastic wrap over the bottle before putting the cap on to make sure I get an airtight seal. I am ordering a little bottle from Muji to decant the foundation into, and then I won't have these packaging woes anymore. Haha!

** April 2015 Update **
This is still my go-to everyday foundation, primarily because this is literally the only foundation I've tried with an acceptable color match which doesn't cause me breakouts when used regularly (or even every day). I would still prefer a slightly cooler/less yellow shade, however I have found a great way to address ALL of my feelings about the texture being less-than-perfect. (See above re: accentuating dry patches, etc.)
This discovery means that I'm much happier with this foundation than before, so I was tempted to change my rating to a 5 rather than a 4, but the change is due to another product, so I'm leaving Sheer Glow's rating as-is. However, read on for teh magic:

I mix NARS Sheer Glow with Dr Organic Snail Gel. Pretty much any ratio of mixing is a success, it's just a question of how much coverage I want. 1/3 Snail Gel to 2/3 Sheer Glow doesn't change the coverage of the foundation too much, but completely fixes the texture. 2/3 Snail Gel to 1/3 Sheer Glow gives tinted moisturizer level coverage. My usual ratio is 50/50.
Mixing these products together means that Sheer Glow doesn't sink into pores, and doesn't accentuate dry patches. It makes application a piece of cake. Seriously, cake! I can literally just rub it in with my fingers like a moisturizer and go. It's like magic. I've never been able to do that before, with any foundation, even much more sheer ones. Mixed with Snail Gel, Sheer Glow actually lives up to its name - it is sheer, and glowing! The gel gives the foundation a dewy finish, visually, while still feeling dry/skin-like to the touch. It doesn't adversely affect lasting time either.
These days I customize my coverage as-needed. I mix my usual 50/50 ratio of Sheer Glow and Snail Gel on my hand, and rub it in all over. It sets quickly, and I can come back to any areas that need more coverage, either tapping more of my mixture on with fingers, or using very small amounts of just the foundation, pressed/tapped/patted over red cheeks / pigmentation to get my complexion looking even all over. Then follow with pinpoint concealing as needed.

Another factoid worth knowing is that Sheer Glow can perform pretty decently as a blemish concealer if you put a little dab on your (clean!) mirror at the beginning of your routine, and let it dry down. When you're ready to conceal, pick it up with a small brush to press over blemishes / pigmentation / marks just where needed, and tap with a finger to blend. It's not full coverage, but I'm happy with it for everyday use. (And it wipes off the mirror with a tissue without leaving smudges.) It's amazing the things you learn when you're on your 3rd bottle of the same foundation! I've done a lot of experimentation with Sheer Glow since, as I've said above, it's pretty much the only foundation I can count on not to break me out.

I mostly don't powder my foundation anymore, because I love the dewy finish of Sheer Glow mixed with Snail Gel. But if it's a hot day, I will powder selectively and as lightly as possible. (I think it helps my foundation hold up better against sweating.) I do usually very lightly powder areas where I've done pinpoint concealing so that holds up for longer ... but the amount of powder is tiny. Essentially, if I'm asking myself "is there really powder on this brush, or is it just my imagination?" that's the correct amount of powder ;)

on 7/12/2012 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I found out this was not what was causing my breakouts. I'm so glad because its the best foundation I have ever used. Perfect texture that dries to a soft finish that does not accentuate dryness. I can adjust the moisture level with powder. Coverage is not too heavy and not too light either, and can be built up and not look cakey. But where this really shines is the color. I got this in Ceylan which is an exact match on me, is a nice true light yellow for my Mac C3 skin. Also just an FYI, this is available on Amazon Prime (a lot of Nars stuff is). I went ahead and bought the pump, which I got from Nordstrom.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

My HG foundation for now! Butter-like consistency melts into my skin and medium coverage leaves me flawless. I am extremely oily and acne-prone so I did not expect to like this foundation at all. In fact, any product with the word "glow" in it, I consider the anti-HG! I'm so glad I gave this product a shot based on a blogger's love for it. I do use an oil-controlling primer and UD De-slick setting spray for longevity. I wouldn't attempt this product without those steps if you are oily. I don't really care that there is no pump since I portion my foundation into a little pot daily. A little goes a loooong way! I prefer a foundation brush to fingers for application and I set with powder (brand varies). I do touch up mid work day with MAC blot powder. No breakouts so far. Bottom line...when I wear this foundation, I can't keep from looking at my skin in admiration every chance I get!