November 24, 2014 | 936 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by elsong1211

Got this in Deauville, its very moisturising, but it doesn't really give a sheer finish, it more matte when just applied, but as the day progresses, it starts to glow, i guess that is the natural oil as well.

Really dislike the fact that it doesn't come with a pump, its unhygienic and wastes a lot of product.

Would not be re-purchasing even though I like it but its not a WOW product for me and I would like to try something new.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2011 8:37:00 PM More reviews by drewthomsen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Nice, but not an HG. The finish on me is a bit plain and kind of shiny. I may give it another go this winter, as the color I have is a smidge too pale for my summer tan....but I wish I knew where the above commenter was that she got this product for 4 dollars!!!! My god. As far as the insane hype a year and a half ago over this foundation, it's not that great but it is good...maybe not for the price (unless you got it for 4 then I would say get every shade). Packaging gets a 3 because of the no pump.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by jcandy1

So I bought like 4 of these at a farmer's market for $3-4 each, which is an amazing deal (and yes, it's the real thing). For that price they are awesome as I can mix and match the colours. I do find that my face gets really shiny by the end of the day, so I'm going to save them for winter, where I need a bit of glow. The pump thing is annoying, but honestly, they were so cheap I don't care. I also got a whole bunch of NARS blushers for $3 as well, go discount NARS!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 2:04:00 AM More reviews by msimplicity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Product:
When used alone with a MAC 187, I find it melts and dries my skin - at least it doesn't hydrate enough. But with I mix it with a little MUFE Elixir, I find it gives a porcelain flawless look and doesn't dry out my skin. However, it gives an amazing satin-finish. It gives a nice glow to the skin and brightens your complexion. It covers my tiny blood vessels on my cheeks very well.
Coverage:
Pretty flawless coverage
Packaging:
For one, it's glass so gives a classy look but you risk dropping and breaking it. I didn't get the pump at extra cost so it's hard to manage with no pump. I find myself wasting a lot of the product.
Overall:
I don't really think it's worth the $55 CDN I paid. It's a good foundation but requires a bit of work to stay on for more than 3 hours - even with primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by 1somthinsouthern

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think this is definitely one of the best foundations out there. I have fair, dry, sensitive, rosacea skin so I have a lot of requirements of foundation. The color selection for my skin tone was excellent. I tried 3 colors at sephora ( Gobi, Deauville, and Figi) and actually I could have gone with any of the 3 colors. Ultimately I picked Deauville because it was the most neutral blend of pink and yellow tones. This does not irritate my skin at all....no RED reaction! The foundation has a nice texture not too moist and not too dry somewhere in the middle. It did not add to my dryness. The coverage was in the middle range, still covered redness....but was difficult for others to know I had foundation on as it really makes me look as if I have good skin. I am really surprised how much I like this. Have been on a foundation hunt for some time and I'm really glad I took the time to read the reviews here and try it. I LIKE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by transitnat00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have searched and searched for a really long time for a product that is a match for my skin tone. I have very fair skin with yellow undertones, and it's so impossible to find a foundation that works well and doesn't make me look orange! This foundation is honestly a perfect match for me. I got this in Mont Blanc, which I think one shade up from the lightest shade.
I do have oily skin so I was a little worried about getting a foundation that says 'glow' but it really isn't that bad. I kind of like the dewy look, and if I'm going for a more matte look, then I'll use a little powder on top if I start to look oily.
There are two cons though... the packaging is one. I have to really shake the bottle to get the foundation out, which is a little annoying. Also the top of my bottle doesn't tighten all the way! I can keep twisting it and it won't be fully closed and that worries me that it will somehow come open and spill all over my makeup bag.
The other con is that it makes my skin feel a little sticky after I put it on. I'm getting close to the bottom of my bottle and I just noticed that it takes a lot longer for the foundation to dry and I have to wait to put on powder. This could just be that it's near the bottom and the consistency is different, but it still feels kind of weird...
This stuff is pretty expensive ($42!) but I've had it since April and I'm just now starting to run out, almost 5 months later of daily wear. It also has such long lasting wearability and is such a great color match for my skin that I can rationalize spending that much on a great product. I definitely recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2011 1:57:00 AM More reviews by blackberrygal

I have used about 35 foundations ranging frm drugstore to high end. This is definitely one of my hg foundations next to Armani LSf and dior nude. The finish is more satin than glowy. I love the light feel of it and the medium coverage. For those who have a lot to cover, this won't do the trick. But I have always preferred more medium than full coverage foundies anyways. I always use a primer underneath as I have combo oily/dry skin. However it's not quite perfect as I notice I get small bumps when I wear this foundation. They are not pimples, they look like whiteheads. My only remedy is to not wear this everyday. But otherwise love the satin smooth finish and will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Nothing special. The best part - applying. I love to apply this foundation (my color - Fiji) as it is really sheer and its fun to apply it.. But afterwards.. its just melts off my face.. my face looks very shiny and I hate it. If I touch my face, my hands are all sticky with foundation. And its CAD 55, so expensive! Not worth it.
Update: After using it for about 2 weeks, I noticed few breakouts that does not happend with Revlon. I am back to my Revlon that I got in US on sale, just for $6.
Note: This foundation works best when applied with airbrush (I use Mac 188). The liquid foundation brush that I use for Revlon foundation does not work well for Nars (because Revlon is much thicker).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by lindsayloohoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this foundation. I put 'yes' to purchase again, but I'd have to think about it.

My skin is normal/combo (slightly dry/slightly oily depending on season/skin treatments). I am acne-prone, especially when it comes to bad skin ingredients (i.e. alcohol). I check beautypedia.com, and a cosmetics ingredient dictionary before I put a new foundation on my face. If it's got a bad review based on irritating ingredients - I skip it (no matter what you lovely ladies might say :). This passed that first test.

The second test was whether I would react to it anyway. I prefer liquid foundation but will switch it up with powder (MAC Light-Medium Skin Finish Natural) every so often. MAC Skinfinish natural is my fail-safe I run to if I suspect a makeup product is breaking me out but don't know what it is. I can happily say that my skin has no adverse response to this liquid foundation, and that I am comfortable running to this now if I do have a break out and suspect a makeup culprit. I didn't start using it every day, but gradually worked my way up. I use this foundation about 4/7 days of the week (sometimes I use other foundations for work/give my skin a break on weekends).

This foundation has no pump. That's ridiculous - for what reason NARS decided this was a good idea, I can't fathom. My fingers are clean, but I have to swipe the top or dip my fingers into the cap every day and I hate that. It is unsanitary. I bought mine from Sephora at $55 (CAD) for 1oz. As far as I could tell, they don't sell a pump and I forgot to try and coax one of the SAs into giving me an extra (clean, unused) tester pump if they had any lying around.

I am usually an NC20-25 in MAC, #20 in MUFE Face and Body, #5 in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk (a tad pink/dark but passable), #2 in Face Fabric, W3 in L'Oreal True Match, #118 in MUFE HD, #30 in Mat Velvet + (touch too pink/dark but passable) - and I think that should provide some background for a colour match haha. I don't wear MAC foundation anymore, but I have worn NC25 and I use NC20 and NW20 concealers. I am truly neutral in the face, with a slight lean towards warm/yellow undertones (my body tans and generally does look more yellow/golden but my delicate skin like wrists, neck, face, etc. do have some pink and are more neutral). I find foundations with too much pink usually come off darker (than I like) on my skin.

Ceylan (Light 6) is a good match for my face and neck, but is just a BIT too light. I always wear sunscreen, but I still get a touch of colour on my face in summer. In the winter it should be perfect. Punjab (Medium 1) is a little too dark. I've tried both by themselves, and asked my mom/friends if they notice my foundation is off - everyone says both are a good match to my neck so they are both passable. Generally, I would rather my foundation be a touch too light than too dark so if I could pick only one I'd go with Ceylan (I think it's closer anyhow). ANYWAY. I mix two swipes (or a good drop - holding my finger over the top and turning upside down) of Ceylan with one swipe (or half dollop) of Punjab. This is my perfectly comfortable - ME - colour.

I use the beautyblender or Sigmax brush (the flat top kabuki) to apply. Both result in a similar finish - though the beautyblender can sheer it out if you want that kind of cover. I put a dot on forehead, each cheek (near undereye) and chin. I'd say this is a light-medium cover foundation depending on application. Personally I don't like a lot of coverage (ie MUFE Mat Velvet +) or matteness - and this is neither of those things. This covers acne scars pretty well, and I usually don't even use concealer for undereyes or acne scars when using. This leaves a natural satin-matte finish that holds up well throughout the day. It can definitely emphasize dry spots but not as badly as Armani's Luminous Silk. The finish of this foundation reminds me of Make Up For Ever HD (though I haven't worn that for awhile) upon initial application. This makes my skin feel SO soft and smooth (like noticeably, have to comment on the feeling, smooth) - I have to resist touching my face. I don't use any primer besides my skincare - toner/BHA liquid/moisturizing sunscreen. I don't usually even set this with powder, and I like the finish all day long (not really oily, don't have much of a problem with that).

This is a good foundation and I do like it, but the lack of a pump and the colour combining thing are annoying (especially since it's soooo expensive). This has a nice natural matte finish and I consistently reach for it - it's super easy to make it look good (natural, not cakey). In my experience, I've never had a disastrous foundation experience from high end brands (I do research to make sure they're right for me first before I try, though). I know this will last me for a good long while and one bottle of Punjab should last me 2 bottles of Ceylan - so I'll see. Since I read a lot of reviews before buying, particularly about colour, I wanted to write a review. Most NC20/25 were saying they were Punjab, and I thought that looked dark. However, if you're not crazy like me you could deal with either Ceylan or Punjab probably decently - especially if you're using a beautyblender to apply anyway. I find colour really influences how much I like the overall effect of a foundation, though, and ultimately how much I reach for it/use it over others.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Here's the thing: no cosmetics company high or low caters to my skin shade & tone, so finding a foundation is impossible. In fact, I look forward to sunless tanning in the summertime so that for a whopping 3 months I can FINALLY catch a break and wear any lightest-shade foundation I want with ease. I'd estimate myself at about an NC5-10, if MAC actually made either. Lightest-shade foundations labeled "Fair","Porcelain," & "Ivory" look either dark pink or orange on my face ... with an alabaster neck peeking out underneath it going, "Hi!!"

Well, Siberia is a match for me. Amazingly. I picked up Sephora samples of both this and Sheer Matte in this shade - and oddly enough, the Sheer has a less-shiny finish than the Matte.

P.S: The one and only foundation shade before this one I have found to actually match me was L'Oreal True Match in 1W - but sadly, the finish is just super-shiny on me & not wearable. Sheer Glow Foundation has the color AND texture going for it, so I'm just thrilled.