September 1, 2014 | 1922 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Double Extend Beauty Tubes

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2008 5:46:00 PM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Complete FAIL for me. I like Fiber Wig and was hoping this was a drug store alternative but not even close. The primer did nothing and the mascara itself was horrible. I had short, hard, stuck together lashes. Thick tube was hard to handle. I got a deal on this stuff but now I'm really regretting wasting any of my money on this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2008 10:11:00 PM More reviews by AnjanaSaDil

DO NOT BUY THIS MASCARA.
CONS:
-doesn't add much length. EXACTLY the same amount as Covergirl Lash Blast and Maybelline Colossal. no big deal to die or gush over. honestly. i expected much more length than ordinary mascara's. also, it made my lashes look crunchy and dehydrated and very very thin.

-HORRIBLE to remove. i followed the directions on the back...used a cotton ball wet with hot water, placed it on my closed eye and waited about 30 seconds. sure, the mascara slid off easily with no racoon eyes mess...HOWEVER....it was gooey and slimy. i had to keep wiping and wiping my eye. then, after the cotton ball had lived its life, i stood in front of the mirror and literally peeled off remaining globbed balls of mascara from each and every lash...

-Veryyyy hard to use wands. they are too too short..hard to manuver and play with while coating lashes.

PROS:
sorry ladies, i'm totally pissed off at this mascara, and cant think of any pros AT ALL. i guess my search for a HG lengthening mascara continues.

Also, if i could have given this mascara ZERO lippies....i would have. but the review process wouldnt let me, lol

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2008 10:19:00 PM More reviews by femmechirp

I have never been a far of L'Oreal mascaras. For some reasons, I've found them all very clumpy and unnatural looking. But, like one of the other reviewers, I was fascinated by the tubes/extension idea and decided to give L'Oreal one more try. Voila, I really like this product. The white part of the product definitely helps lengthen my lashes, the black (as others have noted) is very glossy and the stuff stays in place, all day, no matter what and then comes off in my evening shower with warm water. My lashes look long (but not freakishly so), thick and natural. The application really isn't a bother for me, especially in exchange for a look I really want/like.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by AimeeO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have major problems with my eyes watering, which of course makes my mascara run. This mascara is un-runnable. I am not kidding. When I drive to work in the morning, the combination of cold air outside and hot air in the car makes my eyes run non-stop for about 20 min. Usually, my mascara is all over my eyes when I get to work. But with this, I have not a speck under my eyes.

This is strictly a lengthening mascara- it does not volumize at all. In fact, I think it may make lashes look less voluminous. However, they are long. This is not a layering mascara- if you put on over 1 coat (after you've put on the base coat) you will get clumpy, spidery lashes. It is key to wiggle the brush around as you apply and then immediately brush lashes w/ a metal comb, or they may still clump.

Now, the bad part. This does not come off. Makeup remover will not touch it unless you rub and tug at your eyes. It's best to get a washcloth soaked in warm/hot water, and let it rest on your lashes for a good 30 seconds. The tubes will come off easier that way. They will get stuck on your skin, too, though, so you will still need makeup remover.

All in all, I would only purchase this mascara if you have problems with your mascara running. If you don't, well, there are plenty of mascaras that give the same length (and added volume) that are easier to remove.
But if you are like me, this may be indispensable!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 10:21:00 PM More reviews by dakgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I kept walking past this at Walgreens. It seems like I'm always in there and I would stop, look at the display, then keep going. Finally I gave in, I couldn't resist anymore.

I gave it a good shot but ultimately its too much work for not enough payoff. I get better results from Bobbi Brown Everything Mascara.

I tried applying the base then immediately applying the mascara, I tried letting the base dry for a few minutes then applying the mascara. I tried applying 2 coats of base then 1 of mascara, then I did the reverse, 1 base and 2 mascara.
It gave okay length, but nothing to stop in your tracks about. It gave minimal volume but that's not what its meant to do so I didn't take off points for that.

I stood in the shower, let water run over my face and gently brushed away the resulting eraser-shaving like tubes off my eyes. The next time I wet a cotton pad with warm water, held it against my eye for a moment and then swept the residue off. Either way it came off cleanly, HOWEVER if you are wearing eyeshadow you will need to use your regular makeup remover because water doesn't dissolve shadow and liner so ultimately this mascara creates twice the work of removing. BTW my tests were conducted without eyeshadow so I could really see the results, then I wore it with shadow and liner which is when I discovered the double work of removing.

Overall: meh? I wouldn't buy this again.

I did however score a tube of the original formula of Revitalash which I just stated using so I'll be posting my review of it in about 3 months or as soon as I see results.

Update-11-30-08: I've been using the white base first and then Maybelline's XXL Curl Power on top instead of the black that L'Oreal provides, the effect is MUCH better! I've also tried it with Intense XXL and XXL Extensions (they all had a $2.00 off coupon at Target so I tried all three)
So maybe the key is to use another mascara on top of the Beauty Tubes base coat? I'm liking it much better now and if I have the extra time in the morning I feel like I'm batting big fat lashes when I catch sight of myself in the mirror!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2008 9:39:00 PM More reviews by moncli

I've had good experiences with other L'Oreal mascaras in the past, but this one was a total let down. One coat of this and the ends of my lashes looked weird, like they'd been smooshed against something. Two coats, lots of clumps. Never seemed to dry...tried using my curler about 30 minutes later and had to peel each individual lash off the curler.

For the record, I'm familiar with tubing mascaras and the whole primer/mascara deal...I much prefer the Maybelline XXL Extensions.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by tjoyu

I normally don't buy 2 step mascaras...I always thought the primer end was just a waste of money/space and a way for companies to rip you off by offering less of the actual mascara. This stuff did wonders for my average length eyelashes! No smudging or flaking. I thought it added dramatic but beleivable length to my lashes and made my eyes have that bright, sparkly look to them. The only catuionary statement I have about this is the removal. It comes off very easily but disolves into a creepy, spiderweb consistency. I thought my eyeleashes were melting the first time I saw. All in all a really good DS product. I will be repurchasing this when I run out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2008 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Gabriel679

My lashes look fake! And totally perfect!

I've tried similar products and found them pretty useless, but I saw a commercial for this new mascara, and I'm always looking for something that will make my short, skimpy lashes look bigger. I tried this - right now they only have two colors: "Black" and "Blackest Black". I have "Blackest Black", which seems to be less charcoal then the "Black", if that's possible.

Note: I've used Too Faced's mascara, which claims to have the same technology as this one, but I can never get that product to come off. At all. Which scared me on this mascara, but they are totally different.

Application was pretty easy and not as awkward as I expected, although I always have to blot the wands of new mascara for at least a month to remove excess product. The actual packaging for the mascara seems easier to hold to me - must have to do with the shape.

The first coat went on easy - I did worry that it would cause clumps because of how it looked initially, but as soon as I applied the mascara coat, one word : WOW. My lashes are well-defined, have volume, show up and accentuate my eyes, and of course, they are MILES LONG. Pretty awesome.

I will say that the two-coat deal is kind of a bummer - some mornings I may not have time for it. And as always, I have to "learn" to use the new packaging without smearing just a tiny bit of mascara on my eyelid right next to my lashes, but I really like this product. It is a bit expensive right now, but when the newness wears off, I'll be on the prowl for BOGO sales!

Highly recommended.

EDIT: Still using this almost daily, and still loving it!! It can be tough to get off, though - I use a eye-makeup remover first, to sort of "loosen" the product, and then I wash my face, and I just keep rinsing until all the little black bits of the mascara come off. It can take awhile, but it all comes off, which is more than I can say for my Lancome L'Extreme, which smudges after removal like nobody's business!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by iheartsu

Absolutely breathtaking mascara! My eyes look so stunning with it! When i went to buy mine, I asked the cashier what was so good about it, and she said the white side gives your lashes extra care, so that the black part doesn't 'hurt' your lashes.
She said that Loreal made this black side extra strong (because of the volume + length) and said it would damage your lashes if you only applied that, so the white part would be for:
1. the volume
and 2. care :)

3 in one~
volume + length + care!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2008 12:03:00 PM More reviews by bjborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am really on the fence about this. As is pointed out in other reviews, the conditioning part of the product seems like a wasted step. The wand length is annoying. I rather like the mascara, but as I only use it on the outer third of my top and bottom lashes (over a coat of Almay in Amethyst) it is hard for me to give an informed opinion about using it all over. Still for the money and the hype, I feel it was a let down and no better than a million other mascaras out there. The model in the ads? I am assume she is wearing falsies. Most of them are.