July 24, 2014 | 1945 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by weenerdogg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the matte, smooth, full coverage foundation that I have been looking for. I found it to keep me pretty matte with minimum touch-ups. It did melt a little on the first mildly warm and humid spring day here in Texas. It made me look vaguely like an aging drag queen but after a powder touch up all was well. I'm now searching for a primer that compliments this and prolongs the matte finish as well as a good stippling/buffing brush for application. I got around 5 hours on the above mentioned day. I did find that quite a bit rubbed off on my phone so I need a setting powder. It did not dry me out but few things can when it starts getting the least bit humid. I think I would prefer a pump bottle but that would probably jack up the price so I'm good.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by LeFemmeFeline

I have ultra sensitive combination skin, and unlike MAC's foundations, this does not break me out! I was hoping that this would be slightly more matte than it actually is, and I do have to use mattifying lotion before using this to ensure that my skin behaves. I still have to touch up with blot powder at least three times a day. My skin is going through a really oily stage right now though, so if you have relatively normal skin, this would be perfect for the matte look with minimal touch-ups! I am an NC25 and a 30 in this foundation. The coverage of this foundation is AMAZING, however, there is so little product in the bottle for the price...I would buy again just because I haven't found any other foundation that gives me this much coverage without getting super greasy within a few hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 2:24:00 PM More reviews by draginl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i've only been using this for a week. but i've had such great results so far. I bought this on a saturday. i wanted a new "night out" foundation. right now, i use bare minerals matte foundation, which is great but i wanted to try something with more coverage (i.e. liquid foundation). during the day, i use NARS Sheer Matte foundation, which i also like but i need something different for nights out. i've heard great things about MUFE Mat + so that's what i went for. i wear NARS Sheer Matte in Punjab, which is yellow-based. MUFE Mat + in no. 40 is slightly darker with a more beigy undertone, but i chose that because it was my best match. it was raining the night i wore it out!! AHHHHHH!! rain is horrific for all girls when you go out. i have oily skin, so i have layers of moisturizer, oil control lotion, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, etc. one drop of rain will compromise everything! but the Mat + stayed put! i was amazed. i can't say the same for my hair, but the makeup held up. but the best was, i received compliments on my skin ALL night! a few women coworkers asked me what i had been doing to my skin because it looked "unbelievable" (exact words!) i was sooo thrilled with this stuff. it didn't hold up GREAT after six hours, but i think i need a different primer and oh, NO RAIN. the only reason i say it didn't hold up great is because my oil fought through a bit. my skin still looked reasonably matte though. but again, i think that can all be fixed with new primer and not walking through torrential downpours.
so far, i love this stuff. it was med/full coverage without looking like it! i applied it with my fingers, which i think is the best way to apply thicker oil-controlling foundations. i did set it with a powder in my t-zone but only because i'm an oil-phobe and matte obsessed. it would have looked great without powder. also, no breakouts so far! as for packaging, the squeeze bottle was a thousand times better than the packaging of my NARS Sheer Matte, which is super messy. a pump would be great, but the squeeze bottle has to be just as sanitary.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict76

I have super oily skin and this gives me medium coverage and a natural look. I tried it with different brushes: MAC190, MAC187, Sephora#55 but found that my fingers blend and work best for this foundation. I'm a NC40-42 and have this in 55.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by 73steph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've strayed from this foundation recently, came back and sooo happy I did. This foundation is THE BEST for my skin (acne-prone, sensitive, crazy) and that's saying a lot. Bottle says "mattifying" which sounds scary but it doesn't dry your skin out. It is expensive but a tiny bit goes a long way so I think it's worth the money. The coverage (med/full) makes my not-so-perfect skin look flawless. after coming back to this foundation I'm actually excited to put on foundation!!! Thank you MUA for pointing me in the direction of MUFE, superb foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2010 3:56:00 PM More reviews by tmab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well I am on my 3rd bottle of this stuff so I think it's safe for me to post my opinion. For me, this is the best foundation I have found. I have combination skin that is prone to cystic acne. I had been using the MUFE HD foundation, but, sadly, it isn't oil free and makes me break out. If you don't have a problem with acne then the HD is an amazing foundation.
The Mat Velvet + gives a medium-full coverage. It gives a mostly matte finish with a tiny bit of dewiness. It's very blendable and last forever. And, unless you are extremely oily, you don't need a setting powder. I took off one lippie because the shades are slightly to pink for me. Other than that I love it!
PS- If the price ($34.00 USD) is over your budget then I recommended Revlon Colorstay for Combination/Oily skin (avg. $10-13 USD). I prefer the MUFE because it doesn't dry as fast as the Colorstay so it's easier to blend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 10:17:00 PM More reviews by HapaDynazty

I have acne prone combo skin. Yellow undertones and around a NC25. The color I got in the Mat Velvet + was 30. Its strange they named it "Porcelain" because to me that name is misleading. The other MUFE foundations I have tried are the HD (in 120) and the face & body (32 and 20 mixed made a perfect match). The HD and the FB were nice, they just didnt last on my skin. The MV+ definately has a lot more coverage than the other two I tried. It covers almost all my marks. I have some acne scars and redness around my nose. It covers very well and I dont *have* to use concealer. If I wanted a perfect look then I could use concealer. I use a moisturizer (varies but usually a gel one like clinique's DDMG) and primer (BE prime time). Sometimes if my skin is really dry in certain spots I will spritz on Mac's fix + before I set it with Mac's MSFN. It controls my oil okay but if you are really greasy, I can't say because I am oily but not abnormally so. It looks pretty matte the first half hour to hour but after that settles to a nice satin finish. I would say if you are really oily finish with a oil controling powder and it seems like you would be good to go. It's pretty long lasting. I usually wear it on nights out and lasts well on my face. In pictures it looks flawless!

UPDATE 4/4/2010:::Still using this and LOVING it. So long lasting and it covers my acne/acne scaring really well. I loooove this <3

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by LZK

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was hoping for something matte but even better than my revlon colorstay (which I like quite a lot-just trying new things!) but this didn't do it for me. It accentuated my dry areas and I'm pretty good at applying heavy foundation very lightly since I've learned to work with the CS for quite some time now. This also didn't seem to set as well in terms of staying power as my CS. I think this would perform nicely on normal, not dry or combo skin and also if you're not looking for a super-heavy long-wear (like throughout a gym session or a hot humid NYC summer).

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2010 1:53:00 PM More reviews by productmomma

I had high hopes for this foundation. My forehead and nose are very oily and I go through tons of blotting papers all day, so when I read the reviews I thought that $34.00 was worth not looking shiny all day. I was pretty deisappointed. Even trying several different primers, the foundation seemed to very noticably settle into each pore. It went on streaky whether I worked with fingers, sponge or brush and I had to work very fast because it dried so quickly. I returned to to Sephora easily. I would not purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 12:40:00 PM More reviews by claragonz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I honestly didn't find anything special about this product. I bought this because I was looking for a matte foundation. I found this to be the closest to my skin tone. Even then, after putting it on, I looked at the mirror inside my car and still found pinkish undertones on my face. I could see the foundation on my face (not good!) It wasn't a perfect match. On the lighter side, it has medium coverage and goes on smoothly on a well moisturized face. But I wouldn't buy it again. It's too expensive.