April 18, 2014 | 1225 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by 3lueMuffin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried this 2 times now and still not impressed.. First i got it in like 2 shades too light and now a shade too dark. Im NC25 and i bought the Mat Velvet in #40 which is more NC30. I like the look it gives, but it really doesn't cover much. If you have any redness or acne you make have to layer it which is when it starts to get a bit cakey. Also, i have oily skin, which a bit of dryness around my mouth and chin. If you have even the SLIGHTEST dry skin this foundation will show it, even after using moisturizer and a primer. They also don't have a shade that fits my skintone, its either to dark/light or too pink/yellow... very annoying. Will be returning.. might try the face & body next.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2010 6:19:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

IMPORTANT: the last two digits of the "ref" number (printed electronically on the bottom of the bottle) refers to the shade number. Open the box and check the bottle before purchasing because I bought a box that had the wrong shade in it and had to go back to return it!
I have acne prone skin that is dry immediately after washing, yet super-oily within 2 hours later. So I need a foundation that applies well on dry skin, yet is able to absorb sebum for when the oil drops begin to emerge. This foundation is not quite that. It tends to get patchy on pimples and on my chin where it's most dry, but a good layer of moisterizer alleviates this. Otherwise, I love how this foundation smooths over other areas of my face, giving it a soft, velvety, smooth look. The slip and consistency make this foundation easy to use with a foundation brush (mine is from Ecotools).
I wear this foundation for 10-hours (no primer underneath, no powder on top). The oil control is quite good, easily the best I've experienced. Thin layers of this foundation never become "heavy" or greasy feeling. I blot 2-3 times a day with kleenex tissue and a little colour rubs off but my uneven skin tone underneath is not revealed. No breakouts. Easily washed off with cleanser and Clarisonic. For reference, I am NC25-30, asian, acne-prone, redness, and I use shade #40 (can also use #35 but I prefer a more yellow tone to bring down the redness).
Overall, this foundation takes a little longer to apply because of the patchiness, but the oil absorbing capacity makes it worth while.
[EDIT] This foundation is not water resistent, as it's labeled. When I touch my face gently with a wet Q-tip, it comes off. I think I like my BRTC blemish recover balm better. [EDIT2] This foundation applies much better using my fingers instead of a brush. I should also say that when first applied, the foundation looks like...a layer of makeup. But after about 30min, when the foundation warms up and sets into the skin, it looks much better, more real.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by lillylou2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this so bad, but we just didn't get along :-(

I have normal to oily skin and this made me look as if I was wearing some serious powder foundation, it also seperated like crazy on my nose & seemed to not hold up well.

I'm going to try to like this a bit more, but I just don't think it's gonna happen....perfect shade match though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2010 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Jumaana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I didn't buy this but I did get a color match and a generous sample. I used it for one week.

The color was just perfect, unlike any other. I love that. I also love the container.

My love affair ends with the chalky appearance. I am 32 and too matte looks too old, KWIM?

I may try HD.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by starsobright

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think I'm going to return this. The color is great for my ultra pale skin, but I hate the consistency of this stuff. I just applied it and I am REALLY good at blending foundation in, yet this stuff is practically impossible to work with. I felt like I was trying to spread molasses on my skin it was so thick, and yet you'd think that this would at least give you good coverage, right? No, some redness still shows through but now my skin just looks chalky on top. I used primer before applying this too. Definitely not a "natural matte" look..more like a chalky matte. I have oily skin and I need oil control from a foundation, but I don't want to look like a chalkboard just to get it! Maybe the HD would work better..

I'll give it one point for coming light enough for my skin, but that's about all I can praise it for.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by L8kersKB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This may be HG status for me. I have super oily skin and had read many good things about this foundation. So being the make up junkie that I am; I decided to dish out the $34 and give this a try. I'm SO glad that I did! After getting the wrong color (70) I got the correct color (75) and I must say that I am very impressed with this foundation. This totally keeps my oilies at bay for the entire day (at least 10 hours). I only ended up blotting my T-Zone, and even then it was minimal oil. Not the oil slick I am used to after a few hours. The bottle is awesome, sanitary and easy to throw in my makeup bag. I can totally see getting every last drop out of this bottle unlike the glass SFF bottle. I love the fact that this is waterproof as well. I wish that I had this foundation when I lived in Las Vegas last summer. I also brought the full coverage concealer and cannot wait to try it. I hope it is as good as this foundation is!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2010 5:43:00 AM More reviews by moniquer0323

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hated this. First, I couldn't get an exact color match like I did with the HD foundation. Worst of all, this foundation's consistency was just horrible; it felt like glue when trying to spread and apply it to your face. The only thing this foundation had going for it was its mattifying properties. Other than that, its horrible. Ended up returning it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by emwo12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this foundation. I had previously been using the MUFE HD foundation and while I really like that one as well, I found that it faded off of oily areas (nose, chin) faster than I wanted it to. When I switched to Mat Velvet the first thing I noticed was that its much stickyer than the HD. I have lots of foundation brushes but haven't used my MAC 190 in a long time, but have long back to it because its the only thing that will spread out this foundation. The only con that I can really think of is that I seem to use a lot more of this foundation than others. Gives a really nice coverage that lasts all day (seriously, even on my nose!) So far, I'm really loving this foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by gabbster123

Best Looking foundation I ever tried! Looks great in anylight and looks like skin and not makeup! It controls my oily forehead,nose and chin. also I can wear this for 12hours and theres still coverage and it still looks good. I only blot maybe twice of the 12 hours I wear this and only powder once. I love the squeeze bottle packaging very conveint and travel friendly only con is the price but this is such a great product i dont mind ditching out the cash. Def. HG status!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by lgonzalezbosch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all I have to say this is an absolutely wonderful looking foundation. I am so so sad I had to return it for something no one else seems to have noticed in this board... THE SCENT!!!! This is a scented foundation, I wish I would have known... My oily sensitive skin did not tolerate it. If perfume in foundation does not bother you, then go ahead and give it a try, it is beautiful. As for me, I cried all the way to the post office.