September 17, 2014 | 2031 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2009 12:25:00 PM More reviews by potmesil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

An amazing product! i mostly use it on my hair. i try to do this several times a week. i have fine thin hair, and rhis reallydoes beef it up. It makes most of my flyaways a thing of the past, and my hairs is soooo very soft. I put it in my hair being sure to massage it into my scalp with my fingertips and not nails and just go about my business. The longest I have left it in was about an hour. Then hopped in the shower and put shampoo on before I even get the hair wet then rinse, then I shampoo again, rinsing in cool water, because this makes the hair folicles close. Then I condition my hair, except for the roots. If I want even mor shine, I rinse the second shampoo out with a gallon of cool water with about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and then condition. I have never had such astonishing results! I have shiny hair that I never had before! And I don't lose nearly as much hair on a daily basis now! As for the scent I use extra virgin olive oil with rosemary in it. Try it and you will never go back! I have put it on my whole bady and it is a wonderful treatment! I am excited to try the salt and sugar ones! I am in love with this stuff!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by SixPomegranateSeeds

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I use this to remove eye makeup, as it's so moisturizing and all natural. It doesn't remove everything, but it's better than most commercial eye makeup removers. Plus, I always have it in the house, always always (I'm Greek and olive oil is the only cooking oil I ever use). It's also versatile as a tanning oil, if you don't mind smelling like a Greek salad.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2009 5:16:00 PM More reviews by badger71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was experiencing weird and intractable breakouts, and could not find a moisturiser that made any real difference to my rather thin, dull skin. After reading the rave reviews here, I decided to give an EVOO cleaning regime a try.

I had experimented with coconut oil before, with disastrous results. "Bio-Oil" was similarly awful, so I held out little hope. One night I simply massaged my face with what was in the bottom of my kitchen olive oil bottle, wiped it off with a steamy hot washcloth, and applied a little more oil for good measure before going to bed.

Yes- I am another who is stunned and delighted. My skin does look and feel five years younger. I have few lines for my age... when I woke up after using the EVOO, I had NO lines. I still have dark shadows under my eyes, but the thin crepey skin there is firm and smooth and less like an Austrian blind. The EVOO doesn't hurt my eyes like just about every useless eyecream on the market, and that alone is a major thrill for me.

The oil soaks in quickly, and does not look slick and greasy. (You've got to be careful not to get it in your hair, though). Makeup goes on beautifully over the top of it, and comes off instantly with your next cleansing.

Why stop there? I tried the full body EVOO experience. It seems to work better if you apply the oil BEFORE getting in the shower. The legends are true: flawless shave, glowing skin. Diminishes the appearance of stretch marks, I suppose because it plumps up the skin.

The brown sugar/EVOO scrub thing works well, too. Velvety epidermis.

I am very intrigued by the way some oils work for some people, and not for others. I guess it may have something to do with the specific oil's molecular size, and the individual's skin structure and chemistry. I am not sure why coconut oil sucked so badly for me, and EVOO worked so well.

ONE BRAND of EVOO, though. When I ran out of my kitchen stock, I went and bought a bottle of another brand. It looked OK, said EVOO, was grown here in Australia like the first one, and was of comparable price. The results were far different. The delightful rejuvenating effect was far weaker, I broke out again, the oil seemed to sit on my skin rather than soak in, and smelled cheap, like a greasy spoon cafe. I went and bought another bottle of my first choice ("Cobram Estate", with the purple label) and the magic was back. This first oil is quite green, with a tangy herbaceous smell, really very pleasant. I would therefore suggest sticking to the thick, green, possibly slightly more expensive EVOOs for good results.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 7:18:00 AM More reviews by SugarAz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like to mix olive oil with sugar (any kind of sugar does, I go for the cheapest you can buy since you're just washing it away after), it makes a fantastic scrub and my skin always feels lovely and soft afterwards. You can even miss out the moisturising =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2009 6:49:00 AM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

BODY OIL
I'm in love with EVOO! It's a bit too heavy for my face, (lighter oils work better) but it's perfect as a body oil. I know some ppl complain about the typical olive smell, but what I do is add alot of rose EO + other favourite EOs like lavender, which results in heavenly rosy fragrance. I keep the oil in a medium-sized plastic bottle, which makes it practical to use in the bathroom. About once a week I have an all-over body massage with this oil, right in the shower, on dripping wet skin. Then when done, I just pat myself dry with a towel. No need for moisturizing afterwards.
W/ BODY LOTION
I add a few squirts of the scented olive oil to my favourite body lotion (Urtekram), every day. I used to have dry/red patches all over my body, after shower, before I switched to a more natural body care and EVOO. This oil is like healthy food for my skin, and I truly enjoy indulging in it. It's much more moisturizing and alot cheaper than so called body butters, which often contain all sorts of nasty chemicals and fillers. It doesn't get more natural than 100% plant oil.

SHAVING/WAXING
I also like using EVOO after shaving or waxing my legs. It acts so soothing and eliminates the redness. I even use it instead of shaving cream/soap for my underarms. No more irritation or redness!
HANDS
This oil is a savior for my hands in winter, when they start feeling dry and desperate. I just rub some on my hands, and put on the gloves before going outside and problem solved. This little trick keeps my hands hydrated and smooth all winter.
HAIR
This oil makes an awesome hot oil treatment for hair, on its own or mixed with conditioner. I don't actually "heat" the oil, it should only be pleasantly warm. It's too heavy for my fine/thin hair to be used as a leave-in for dry ends, (coconut oil works better for that). But it's great as a 30 min prewash treatment, as long as I wash it out well.
FOOD
Can't forget the most important use for this oil! I'm a vegan and only use vegetable/plant oils in my kitchen (or elsewhere) and EVOO is my staple oil. Everything tastes better with this delicious oil. It's especially tasty in pasta (with tomatoes and garlic, yum!), salad (combined with lemon juice, herbs & spices) and on bread instead of butter. Yes, it's calorie dense, but vegetable oils such as EVOO are known to help lowering "bad" cholesterol levels and are essential for good health. Not to forget that best skin food comes from the inside, and replacing bad- with good fats, is nourishing for entire body, including skin.
WHAT KIND OF EVOO?
My choice of EVOO is cold-pressed, and preferably organic. Yes, it's pricey comparing to other cheaper oils, but I feel that it's better for me. It's definitely cheaper comparing to other skin care products that fail to moisturize enough. This is a keeper!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2009 10:42:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm all for at-home remidies to fix stuff (except the pepto-bismol mask, not a good idea guys). Sooo, when I read about this, initially I was like whoah, my hair would feel way too greasy after washing it. That thought lasted for about 2.7 seconds, enough time to make my way to the kitchen and dig up some olive oil. I heated it up and put it on my hair, and relaxed to sit down and watch some Law & Order. Washed my hair twice about an hour later, and it felt pretty nice. I used conditioner too, just in case. So, the next day, I straightened my hair, and ohmygosh it smelled so bad. I thought at first my cat got into something, but after picking her up and smelling her, I realized it was me. Oh goodness. I don't think this didn't do anything spectacular for me, and I probably won't try it again considering i hatehatehatehatehate the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Puppybash

Hi, I read all the reviews yesterday and tried it last night on my face. It did pretty good, I do see a difference in my skin and it glows. Also, my lashes look better. I like it so far, I will keep using it and provide update as it goes. No break outs for me at all. Thanks!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2009 11:03:00 AM More reviews by lyracindy

Here's a mask that is beyond great and super affordable!!!

Smooth a thin layer of white petroleum jelly over your entire face. Follow this with a thin layer of extra-virgin olive oil and a thin layer of vitamin E oil squeezed from capsules. Leave them on your skin for at least 15 minutes.

Place the green teabag in a saucepan of boiling water, and with the petroleum jelly and oils still on your face, bend over the pot so the steam can penetrate the skin. For even better penetration, drape a large towel over your head.

Leave the white petroleum jelly and oils on for an additional five minutes, and then give your face a light scrub with the sugar.

Bend over the sink and rinse off the mask, using warm water. Wipe any excess oil off with a cloth, and rinse your face with cool water. Pat your face dry with a soft cloth.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2009 12:10:00 AM More reviews by Saraelyse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i like the way this makes my hair feel stronger, smoother and healthier when i apply it to the ends of my hair, but i am skeptical as to if it would make me break out. I'm sticking to using this in my hair, it works pretty well and is an alternative to hair masks and treatments that are more on the pricey side. don't use to much though, its hard to wash out.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2009 9:43:00 PM More reviews by sosuga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

(initial review Aug 08): Why didnt anyone tell me about this sooner!! Sheesh! I love EVOO as a moisturizer on my skin, I have non-inflamed acne prone type skin and this stuff is AMAZING...I didnt believe it the first time I read the reviews but sucked it up and sought out my bottle in the cabinet, wet my hands and put a dab in my palm, rubbed around to spread it out and PATTED it on my skin. The next morning I was SHOCKED at the pretty "glow" my skin had, rather than oil-slick like I had expected. I am ..WAS..a user of jojoba oil but I much prefer EVOO now especially because its cheaper and far easier to get my hands on. I use this as a body moisturizer out of the shower too, locks in the moisture very well. Who knew?! I wasnt impressed with it in my hair, but I dont mind so much about that because the skin benefits are fantastic. Just have to be sort of careful not to get it on your clothes as it stains, and its HARD to remove. But I love this stuff! Thanks MUA!!!

Edit: added 2/15/09: still using this stuff and loving it even more. I would bathe in it if I could, lol. Ok maybe not, but EVOO is a godsend.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No