Chanel No.5

3.5

My grandmother wore this when i was little and i guess it has memory qualities for me. I suppose a bit like a very expensive Demeter fragrance! I like the way this smells on my clothes but not on my skin. Now, i'm an Angel fan and it works for me but this, although a more mature scent, i think it smells like marzipan. Try it, i didn't think so either until someone told me that i smelled like it. Either way, its a nice enopugh perfume but not something that i reach for that often.

on 5/13/2006 10:53:00 AM

I have to confess that I have never tested it on my skin, because the scent in the bottle doesn't invite me to feel curious at all but rather the opposite. I have sniffed the bottle everytime I'm out hunting for a new fragrance - maybe to understand why this legendary perfume is so loved. But:
I really don't like it! Not even on others. (Sorry, Marilyn..)
It smells old english lady in a mansion, tweed, foxhunting and horses, snobbish afternoon tea, pearls and white silk blouses, and a posh upper class accent. This image is not that bad, so I guess I just classified it as timeless and classy fragrance. But I still don't like this scent.
To me it smells too much powder and too dry, even dusty. I din't find it soft, sexy, and not even sweet or sensual. It is just dry - like wood panelling and old powder. But I know I just have to try it once, if I just could force myself to do that. Strangely, the ingredients is not offencive to me at all, just in this combination it seems. I think it is this combination of vetiver, neroli and aldehydes I don't like.
Top notes : Neroli, Ylang-Ylang, Aldehydes.
Middle notes : Jasmine,Rose.
Base notes : Sandalwood, Vetiver, Vanilla.

Very fav fragrance of all time...I have been wearing Chanel No. 5 for 20+ years...my father bought me my first bottle in Paris when I was visiting him my first year out of high school and I love it to this day. It is classic, chic and simply a beautiful scent. Will love it forever....

on 4/30/2006 6:35:00 PM

I tried some on in the store. It smelled good in the bottle, but it just smelled nasty on me and my mother. I guess it doesn't work with our body oils.

on 4/30/2006 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I remember getting this for Christmas as a teenager, and it seemed like the world of adulthood was just a little bit closer when I sniffed it on my wrist. I cannot isolate specific notes--just marvellously blended perfection. Absolutely not my personality now, but I love to smell it on anyone else.

Got myself to buy one, since I wanted a classic sophisticated piece of history in my collection. I smelled it on some more mature women (I'm 28 myself) and I thought it brings out style and personality, however on me it is too heavy and I feel like I'm "not in my skin".

on 4/12/2006 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is another one of those "love it in the bottle, hate it on me" perfumes. Just didn't work with my body chemistry. Too bad. I really wanted it to work for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know what to do about this fragrance. I guess I'm neutral, but secretly I harbor a closeted love for it. When I first tried it on, there were some lovely notes coming through an unpleasant haze of something resembling a stainless steel pan soaking in dishwater: metallic, dirty-wet; not chemical-smelling like a Clinique fragrance, but just not quite right. But that wore off and left just the lovely notes. The problem was, once I could smell the pleasant notes, I found the fragrance neither sexy nor deceptively innocent, just nice. While it is pretty and feminine, I couldn't help wondering how the most desirable woman in history, Marilyn Monroe, could be knockout sexy while smelling kind of like someone's grandma. Have tastes changed that much? When the mature women who still wear this now were once young, was this considered sexy, coy, demure? So I enjoyed the scent, but I kind of thought it wasn't terribly exciting or anything. But then after wearing it for a couple more hours, I started really liking it. Gradually it wore off, and I was smelling magazine inserts and I found myself saying, it's OK, but here's how it's not No. 5. What? So, I'll just have to try this again another day and make a second review, because this fragrance is some kind of enigma. How does my brain tell me it's a "mature" scent that is pretty but not what I am looking for, while my nose is meanwhile becoming secretly addicted to it?

Incidentally, I just wanted to comment on two previous reviews- one gal found it comical that people said you have to have just the right chemistry to wear this, but why is that so funny? It's common knowledge that many fragrances smell wonderful on some and terrible on others. Why should Chanel No. 5, which is based on aldehydes, substances known to be fickle from person to person, be any different? Second, I get that the gal who called this a chypre meant well, and the one who said it's not a floral assumed that an aldehyde blend cannot be considered a floral, but this fragrance is classified in various places, by fragrance experts, as an an aldehydic floral, an aldehydic soft floral, and a Soft Floral Classical Bouquet. So no one is going to convince me that this can't be called a floral. As for the chypre thing, if someone can quote an expert who says it's a chypre, I guess I would believe it, but everything I have read suggets that a chypre is a mossy woods, often unisex, and that a women's chypre could easily pass for a modern men's scent. I don't think anybody with a sense of smell would mistake No. 5 for a men's fragrance in the modern sense, ergo, I don't get how it could be a chypre. If Coco Chanel *really* didn't intend this perfume to be flowery, then the fact that fragrance experts classify it as a soft floral would mean that she failed to have it be the way she intended, and I certainly don't think that is the case. I think she used aldehydes so that instead of smelling like flowers, the fragrance would be an impression of florals that results in a woman smelling like a woman- just like the legends say. As one reviewer explained it, individual notes aren't as prominent in No. 5 as an overall scent experience. Unfortunately, as pretty as this scent is, it might feel dated and no longer sexy in a new fragrance universe.

on 3/30/2006 12:26:00 PM

Nothing but hype.
If it was a Coty it wouldn't be so popular. I love the reviews that talk about being one of the chosen few, or woman enough to wear it "correctly" Pretty good comedy there.

on 3/27/2006 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I don't understand what is so appealing about this product - but everyone has their own opinion...Personally I couldn't stand the smell of this fragrance. Hmm

Popular Fragrances