July 23, 2014 | 2123 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2011 3:01:00 AM More reviews by DHendricks999

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Clarisonic Mia for 2 days thus far, but I wanted to just kind of document my ongoing experience with the Mia for people who might be curious-so I will keep updating this review.
FYI: I have combination/oily skin (more oily than anything-but I do have trouble with flakiness pretty often).
I got my Mia yesterday at the Nordstrom anniversary sale (got the "Island Coral" Mia) and used it for the first time last night with the sensitive brush head. After cleaning my face then patting dry with a towel, my skin immediately felt more parched than I have felt it in years and years. I immediately misted my face then applied my serum to get some moisture back into my skin. I was surprised that it had so thoroughly stripped my skin of all its natural oils so quickly. In some of the reviews, I've read that the Clarisonic really magnifies that effects of the facewash that you use with it. A seemingly gentle facewash can suddenly become much too drying or harsh after using the 2 together. Well, after my experience last night I am pretty sure that's true. But I did decide to use it again tonight to see if it got any better. Nope. If anything it was much, much worse. Literally the second I finished patting my face dry, I could just feel my skin tightening uncomfortably. I turned to look in the mirror and I had flakes and flakes of peeling skin all over my nose and chin. I guess I will have to try getting a gentler cleanser (maybe a cleansing milk of some kind or Philosophy's Purity Made Simple?? Pretty much anything non-foaming), and see how that works out. If it is still too drying, I will probably have to return it. Honestly, I bought the Mia to provide a light, light exfoliation while getting a deep clean but if it just strips my skin, I could have achieved the same effect with a harsh salicylic acid gel cleanser. I don't need the exfoliation that badly, I have found that a muslin cloth is the best thing I've tried out of aaall the countless exfoliators/scrubs I've tried over the years. I really do want to love the Mia though. In concept, it sounds great and the reviews are so amazing, Like I said, I will continue with it but with another cleanser, then I will update. For now, 3 lippies.
7/19 Until I have enough time to go to Sephora to purchase a bottle of Philosophy Purity Made Simple, I decided to try out the Gentle Hydro Cleanser that came with my Mia. Much, much better! Also, I realized that another problem I made was that I was using the Mia on my face for about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes instead of the recommended 1. Washing for 1 minute, along with using a gentler cleanser, has made all the difference in the world. Of course if I were to not use my hydrating spray and serum right after, my skin would still be a lot drier than normal but that's because the brush is really getting in there to deep clean your pores. Literally, there will be no oil and dirt left. So, I have added a lippie. My skin has been feeling very clean and smooth and a bit glowy. But remember: once you start using the Mia, there is a chance that you will have to readjust all the products that you have been using-no matter how long you have been using them. I have been using Aveeno's Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser for about 4 1/2 years and its always been great. Cleans my face perfectly without stripping my face of moisture. But if I want to permanently add the Mia to my skincare routine, I won't be able to use my face wash any longer. At least not in conjunction with the Mia. Will keep updating!!
7/26 So, my face has been feeling pretty good lately. Very clean and smooth (but I would still say not as smooth as when I use my muslin cloth). But then, about 2 or 3 days ago I noticed I started getting very tiny whiteheads all over my upper lip and chin area. Everyday, more keep popping up-and I haven't changed my face routine at all. They are really tiny-but numerous. Then, I woke up this morning and I have 2 huge zits on my chin. I am really hoping that this is the "purging" phase that everyone keeps talking about. Not too excited to wait this part out, but I guess I will tough through it and see if it doesn't stop in a week or 2. Will keep updating. Hope this has been helpful so far.
8/7 So, those little whiteheads and big pimples cleared up only after 4 or 5 days. Since then, its been clear skin!! I have started using it only every 2 days though because I don't care what anyone says: exfoliation is exfoliation and it's only meant to be done a few times a week. I use the sensitive brush head and I feel like that plus a gently non-foaming cleanser plus using every 2 days is still probably a little more than I really need. But, I still am not over the newness of using the Mia. Maybe after a few months the novelty will wear off and I will only use it 2-3 times a week. Anyway, A+ product really. I am keeping it at 4 lippies though. Even though I love my Mia-I don't think its such a "must-have" like so many people rave. Yes, it deep cleans and exfoliates and is fun to use, but if you are someone that has ever used a muslin cloth than you will know what I mean. Muslin cloth is a great CHEAP way to get glowing, smooth skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2011 1:56:00 AM More reviews by BlessedBeyondMeasure

I really wanted this to work. I have oily, acne-prone skin, and the Clarisonic DESTROYED my skin!! It did make my skin feel SUPER clean, smooth, & soft after each use. But, that really didn't matter b/c the breakouts were horrific. I stuck with it for 6 weeks (because I thought my skin might be purging) & my skin stayed broken out the ENTIRE time. One morning I woke up to SIX new pimples. (Before the clarisonic, I had MINOR breakouts every so often.) My skin is finally recovering from the damage incurred by the Mia. SO SO sad. I even ordered the delicate brush to see if that would help and sadly, it didn't. Maybe my skin was still purging...but I couldn't take another day of horrible skin. I know a lot of other people had the same issue. The Clarisonic definitely isn't for everyone :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by forbidden_desire

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using the Mia for about a month now and already I see a difference in my skin. I have oily acne prone skin with a few little breakouts and bumps. Since using the Mia my skin is smoother with fewer bumps and breakouts. This wont completely get rid of all your acne problems but it does help alot. I use makeup almost on a daily basis and I feel much better after I cleanse with the Mia.. no makeup residue on the cotton ball after using toner! I get the same clean feeling after using a washcloth, but the difference with the Mia is that it isn't harsh and abrasive at all like a washcloth can be.. and it doesn't turn my skin red and irritated. I use it daily at the end of the day with my own cleanser, but instead of using it once for that one minute I use it for about 3 minutes. I can't imagine my skin care regimen without it! I still get breakouts once in a while but not as much as I used to.. I know it isn't going to give miracles, but I also know that my skin is definitely clearer since using it. So if you have acne problems, I suggest giving the Mia a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by kristacular1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let's be real; this isn't a miracle worker! It WILL be doing your skin a favor, however, to incorporate this into your daily routine. Besides the deep cleansing of this tool (which results in tighter pores, less breakouts and more radiant looking skin), I have to believe that this has the ability to rejuvenate and stimulate your skin to an extent. This is simply for cleansing, but may give your skin some light exfoliation. With regular use and a good skincare regime, problem skin will most likely start to reveal better clarity and a more even skin-tone.

If you've already got flawless, trouble-free skin you aren't going to see a drastic difference (though it is still good for your skin), but if you struggle with skin issues, you will most likely see at least a slight improvement. As mentioned above, a good skincare regime is important and you will get greater penetration of beneficial products (serums, copper peptides, vitamin c, etc).

REMEMBER people, PLEASE remove your make-up BEFORE cleansing with this. It is not meant to be the sole source of make-up removal. Remove most of your make-up with a make-up towelette, OCM, cold cream or whatever method your prefer and THEN cleanse with your Clarisonic.

I love the Mia!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by jennyttran2002

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have mixed feelings about this product. My face felt really clean and i didn't have to use toner after cleansing because the clarisonic really took all my makeup and dead skin off. After 3 days of use, twice a day i now have milia all over my face which i've never had before. I'm going to try using this product every other day because sometimes less is more.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by soooo

I have been using the mia in jaguar print for about 3 weeks now and first of all let me say the print is fabulous! Also, i've noticed a dramatic change in my skin. I use it once a day on my face and since i started using it I've stopped getting pimples. I have tried a lot of things for my acne and even though it was never too bad it's always been really stubborn so im surprised this made such a huge difference. I dont see any reason why you would need different speeds so if you're looking to save money the mia is perfectly sufficent.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had my Mia for 2 months now, and I don't know what I would do without it. This is the greatest investment I've made and I don't regret ever paying such a high price for this tool. My skin just doesn't feel clean if I don't use this, so I can never ever go a night without using this. Love that I can take this in the shower with me! LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mia!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2011 5:35:00 PM More reviews by ZG

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Hi Gang:
Well, I have been using Clarisonic Mia for almost a month.
I suffer from acne, poc marks and hyperpigmentation and I am in my 40's.
Overall, my skin is much happier than its ever been. My breakouts have been greatly reduced. I am a realist when it comes to my acne. It does not cure acne but its been helping me by reducing the amount of new pimples that I do get. If I do get a pimple, in 3 -4 days max it pop naturally.
Very important gang, if u love to wear make up please make sure u do a "preliminary" cleaning before using the
Clarisonic Mia- trust me it will cut your cleansing time in half

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by greenteamui

I can't live without this!!! I am totally sold. I love my mia. Yes I would admit it is pretty expensive but it works wonders for me and itís worth every penny. I have oily combination skin and this helped improve the over texture and appearance of my skin significantly. I use to have a lot of acne scars and this in conjunction with AHA has helped fade a lot of those scars. I use my mia twice a day morning and night. I did not experience the purge that some people did. My skin is my radiant and I no long need to wear foundation daily I just use a little concealer and Iím out the door. I would consider purchasing the 3 speed clarisonic but mia is definitely better to travel with. And YES i would repurchse this over 1000x over again too.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2011 7:41:00 AM More reviews by SB80

OVERRATED! My acne actually got MUCH MUCH worse using this but I persisted thinking it was an adjustment period. Luckily, my Mia stopped working after 6-8 weeks and my acne improved significantly.