October 25, 2014 | 1529 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 2 of 5 on 8/17/2011 8:45:00 AM More reviews by Pennyapple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this. I had moderately high expecatations after reading all of the positive reviews. I started off with the delicate brush head, and that's as far as I got. My skin broke out a bit, and dried out a lot. I used it with the clarisonic cleansers, and with my other reputable cleansers. I massaged my skin for the full minute, and for less than the alotted time. I used it twice a day, and quickly dropped to only at night, and after a couple of months, I spaced it out every 2 days. I used it for 3 months before I gave up. My esthetician saw me before and after I went through my clarisonic stint, and said my skin was dry, irritated and congested when she saw me afterwards. Since I stopped using it, my skin is is looking healthier. I find that a textured wash cloth works for my skin.

On a positive note, I love the magnetic charge adapter!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

Me--rosacea, sensitive, allergic skin. Coming from a bad rosacea flare with many clogged pores on my chin and some on the forehead. I have had to change my opinion: This can be an effective tool for rosacea.

Update: Different year and new dermatologist who highly recommended Clarisonic even for rosacea. Doctor said that most of the Clarisonic brushes felt and worked the same on skin--what mattered most was the spinning action. Dermatologist actually did not recommend the Clarisonic knock-offs because of Clarisonic's spinning action versus Olay's stationary action. She said the spinning action was actually more effective for pushing out clogged sebum and would be easier on sensitive skin. So I repurchased the Mia and started using every couple of days. At first using the Mia felt a little too rigorous but I can't deny the good news and results I saw: An unblocking of some clogged pores, smoother skin, enhanced absorption of rosacea topicals and a confidence that I was fully removing stubborn sunscreen.

Of course everyone's different and if you have rosacea or extremely sensitive skin I would still approach this tool with caution. Work up to regular usage comfortable for your skin and or alternate with regular or microfiber washcloths.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by CarolinaMidwife

For three months before I bought this I used the olay pro-x brush so I could prove to myself that I would actually use an electronic face washing system. I actually liked it just fine and it did not cause me any problems. I see now, after owning the Mia, that they are not in the same ballpark.

The mia's head doesn't turn but rather the while brush vibrates... think of a giant sonicare toothbrush but for your face.

I have been using it for 3 weeks now and I love it. I use it with philosophy's microdermabrasion scrub because I don't care for the product that came with the unit. I have not had to charge it since the initial 24 hour charge. I keep it in the shower and just use it in the morning because I'm too lazy to do more than use cleansing towelettes at night. I clean the brush, after each use, with a little squirt of Jason tea tree oil wash just because I'm a little anal about germs proliferating in a wet environment.

My face definitely feels cleaner and softer, I'm seeing a glow I haven't seen in about a decade. I kicked off using it with the olay regenerist 14 day treatment and I think that was a great way to start because it makes your skin feel like a baby's booty.

Another huge perk that I may be imagining or it may be real (Who knows?) is that I believe it has improved the absorption of the other products I use, namely MUAC DMAE serum and neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair. My forehead lines are almost gone.

The one thing I have not yet learned how to manage is how wet the bristles get. When you apply the product to your face and then you run the brush over it the bristles are holding so much water it runs down your face so you feel like you have to go fast to stop from rinsing all of your product off. Maybe it's just me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 8:04:00 PM More reviews by stephanieee

okay so my boyfriend bought me this for christmas after constantly hearing me say how bad i wanted it. wow, this thing is awesome. at first i wasn't that impressed and was almost considering taking it back. after using it for a week i started seeing results. my skin is combination/dry in the winter and combination/oily in the summer i have clogged pores on my chin and forehead mainly, and i do breakout. you can seriously notice when i've been using this because my skin looks so much smoother and feels so soft! definitely helps with the clogged pores and i really think it helps speed up the healing process of a zit. i try not to use it too often because i don't want the good effects to wear off but i usually use it with my cetaphil for normal to oily or purity cleanser. i know my skin will never be as perfect as i'd like, but the mia is definitely helping me get as close as i can.

edit 2/27/12:
so i've started using this with my liz earle cleanser twice a day and wow.. my face is so smooth, clogged pores are slowly but surly diminishing, and i have zero flakes. i've had the mia for over a year and i've noticed that the battery life is getting worse but to be fair i also use this twice a day. i really, truly believe this helps speed up the healing process of a zit too. i use the mia with the normal head but i'm considering the deep cleansing (blue) one.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 7:49:00 PM More reviews by lab120178

Love it. I have the gentle brush and it is perfect with my cleanser!! It gives me gentle exfoliation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by sbgitana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Clarisonic Mia
My skin type is normal, if I don't take care of it can feel dry.
As we all have, I've been hearing the rave reviews of the Clarisonic. The gal at Sephora said, "It's life changing." Eventually, having credit at the store, I gave into the impulse after reading the claim it cleanses your skin 6 times greater. Sold.
Here's my review:
Packaging: Small "travel' size of the Clarisonic Pro/Plus. I choose mine in pale pink. Comfortable to hold, I have small hands so it was a perfect size and comes with a single on off button (one speed.) It also comes with a charger. The brush head is removable for cleansing and replacing when needed. I believe you can also buy the bigger 'body brush' (sold separately) to use with the Mia. I asked two sales ladies at Sephora about this they were unsure and it does not say on the instructions.
As a side note: one of the main differences between this 'compact' Clarisonic and the full size is the full size comes with a stand where you can prop it up on your counter. This actually was a 'minus' for me and why I bought the Mia because I have a small bathroom and no counter space so the Mia works well for those that have a small storage space for it.

Performance: A gentle but powerful rotating head, this one only has one speed: which was fine for me. I use it once a day at night.

Finish: My skin did feel quite cleansed after. I have been exfoliating a couple times a week with my own homemade sugar scrub which works magic, but I love using this at the end of the day. I used the trial size of the Clarisonic cleanser (see separate review if interested) and also with my own favorite Image Ormedic Facial Cleanser.
I so have pretty 'tough' or resilient skin so I did not experience any breakouts or irritations. Just clean skin.

Cost: High end.
Bought at: Sephora
My rating scale is: EXCELLENT, GOOD, FAIR AND POOR
Overall rating for this product: EXCELLENT.
While the vast majority of people have not had any serious reactions using the Clarisonic there are some Clarisonic causalities out there! (simply read the reviews on MUA to listen to their agonizing tales.).
So for those with sensitive or acne prone skin (and you know who you are) BEFORE jumping in headfirst to the Clarisonic party:
1. Consult a dermatologist
and/or
2. Try the Clarisonic out on a small section of skin first.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Tetteala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

-I have been searching for a product to unclog my congested pores. I have oily skin and I realized the tiny skin-colored bumps are because of the excess oil. After washing my face with countless scrubs that claim to unclog pores, I noticed there was no dramatic change. Other cleansers and scrubs just put another layer of product on my face without really deep cleaning.
-With that said, I was on the hunt for the clarisonic. The Clarisonic Mia is probably one of the best investments I have ever made. In just 3 uses, I noticed my skin texture has dramatically improved, and the skin-colored bumps on my face are slowly and surely disappearing. I have never had such clear skin! I have tried everything in the drugstore from Neutrogena scrubs and cleansers, Clean & Clear, Biore, Clearasil, you name it! I have also tried high end products like Proactiv and Clinique, and none have alleviated my problem of clogged pores.
-The Clarisonic Mia is weird to use at first and tickles my nose every time I use it. I love that it stops at one minute, so you don't over cleanse your face. I use a regular drugstore cleanser with my Clarisonic Mia. I wet my face, apply Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Cleanser on my face, then I dampen the brush and run it across my face for a minute. You don't need a high end cleanser when using the clarisonic (unless you want to, of course). Lots of people use Philosophy but to me, I think if you use a good cleanser from the drugstore, such as Aveeno or Neutrogena, the effects are equally similar.
-After the minute is up I wash the remaining cleanser off my face and apply Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Scrub. I believe the Clarisonic Mia preps my face so that my skin will better absorb acne scrubs/cleansers.
-Finally, after rinsing off the scrub, I apply Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. This gel is perfect for people with oily skin and sinks in better after using the Clarisonic.
-I love that the charger magnetically attaches to the handle. Don't charge it every night, I hear it might not hold as long of a charge if you constantly plug it in.
-Overall, do I like this product? YES, most definitely. You might have to adjust your skin routine after using this tool because it basically takes off all the dirt, thus starting you off with a clean slate every time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by erikalynne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have always relied on reviews to decide whether or not to buy a product so I have decided that I owe it to all who seek advice to add my own reviews. I bought the Clarisonic Mia online through Amazon and got a much lower price than most online stores. I have rosacea and was scared at how this little gadget would treat my skin. My skin is sensitive and oily at the same time with redness in my cheeks and occasional breakouts. My pores are also large with blackheads. Well, the Mia has been great for my skin. I cleanse with it morning and night and it does not aggravate my skin at all!! Actually, it improves the look of my pores, seems to remove blackheads, removes all traces of dirt and makeup and also improves the look of redness in my skin. I am 34 now and finally have decided to really start taking care of my skin and this is a step in the right direction. I follow my morning cleansing routine with SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF and Hydrating B5 gel. I find that in the summertime, I don't really need a moisturizer over the B5 gel because my skin is oily. I have just ordered some more products for nightime use so I will leave more reviews after I've tried them!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by jkbeno

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had my Mia for over a year or more. Bought it on QVC when it was a TSV. I don't use it every day but when I do, I use it with Philosophy's Purity Made Simple, which I love. The gentle brush works best for me and it leaves my face feeling softer than when I just use the Purity alone to cleanse my face. After using the Mia, my serum and face creams seem to absorb better. I consider it one of my better purchases.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Nikki16519

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love my Clarisonic. In December, I treated myself to this baby. As I recall, my skin was doing well, and for me this means I had about four or so small blemishes a month not including the hormonal TOTM ones, of which I had about 4 more and one would always be inflamed. I initially had an increase in breakouts, and it lasted about a week. I used the brush once a day before bed. After about 2 months I went up to twice a day as I noticed my skin was responding well to it. Well, my skin has not had a hormonal breakout or even a non hormonal break out in three months. I would say I have gotten 6 pimples in 3 months. I don't know that I can credit this amazing feat totally to the Clarisonic, but I have never kept my face so clear as I have since incorporating the Clarisonic into the wash routine. I don't want to be without it. My skin does not feel as smooth, glow as much. or even feel clean if I forget to use it when I shower, and I can always tell if I forget just by the feel of my skin when I apply my lotion. I've replaced the head twice (I like the sensitive one very much), and always make sure to take the head off after each use to rinse the brush totally clean. When I think about it and/or have time I will give it a spray with alcohol to sanitize it. I hope it doesn't break anytime soon, because I will have to get a new one and would promptly find the funds to do so. It's been that great for me.