April 18, 2014 | 1503 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by brianadecaro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I do like the coverage this product gives. However, it's very thick, and does not blend easily. My skin is not excessively oily, but this does feel a little drying. It is long lasting, which is nice, but I think it's a little heavy for everyday wear. I'm not going to return this, but I won't be using it everyday, since it is expensive. For a "special occasion" foundation, this is perfect. It really does give you that flawless look. Would be excellent for a night out or an event where you know you will be photographed a lot. I suspect it caused a minor breakout as well, which is also why I wouldn't wear this everyday.
EDIT 02/26/10: I ended up returning this. I figured it's pretty pricey to keep for a product I'll only use occasionally. So, back to Sephora it went, where I exchanged it for something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 10:45:00 PM More reviews by leeli86

Just bought this after trying a sample from Sephora for a few days. So far it's love!! Just may be my sought after HG foundation.

Pros:
great coverage
perfect matte finish
wide colour selection (NC20 = MUFE 20 for me)
easy to blend
easy to remove
oil-free (no breakouts!)

Cons:
price ($39CDN)
packaging (for the price kinda cheap)

So yep love it. Only cons so far are the price and the packaging. The squeeze tube isn't as bad as a plain glass bottle but seriously, when will pumps become standard? This is not as thick as I expected it to be after reading some of the reviews here. I would say if you are used to full coverage foundations this will be nothing new to you. IMO it feels pretty weightless but I'm used to MAC studio fix. I use this with a mattifying primer and I barely had any oil breakthrough after 7 hours at work. Once blotted looks as good as new. Looks amazing in combination with the MUFE HD finishing powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by jennyycoxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I hated this foundation. it was SO thick! The consistancy was like glue. I have an oily tzone and normal to dry cheeks. It made me super dry all over. Then, halfway thru the day, I was a grease ball! But it was odd because my tzone was dry and oily at the same time. I found the foundation to be extremly hard to blend. I have large pores and it sunk into them, making them look terribly large and gross. overall, I returned this foundation and I do not recomend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by elisha24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff it is my HG everyday foundation, teamed with Joe Blasco red neutraliser 1 I have perfect looking skin everyday (which I definitely dont have without the help of these two lifesavers). I find it can settle into my pores, I tend to have this issue with a lot of heavier coverage foundations, I combat it by wetting my sponge and dabbing it on, a silcone primer helps more but im allergic unfortuntely. Its good coverage, dont expect it to cover EVERYTHING thats what concealer is for. On hotter days it can get a bit oily but it's definitely better then most foundations. I love that its med-full coverage but it doesn't feel or look like you have a face full of foundation.
Only cons is the price, its terribly expensive for such a small bottle. I dont like the packaging either when I first opened it heaps of foundation kept splurting out quite a bit got wasted.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2010 10:33:00 AM More reviews by sarahb21

I am 15, and I have been searching for a foundation that will cover up my red spots and my my larger pores on my nose. I have been using cargo oil-free foundation in a shade too light, with smashbox healthy fx foudation in a shade too dark. These actually worked pretty well, but I would find myself getting oily in the t-zone by midday. I just got the MUFE mat velvet plus after reading a ton of great reviews. The first time i tried it, it looked terrible. So powdery and it caked around my dry spots. It did cover well but it looked terrible-blotchy and streaky. Then i read some more reviews and people who had this problem didn't use moisturizer. So i took it all off and put on tons of oil-free moisturizer. When i put the foundation back on over the moisturizer it looked incredible. It has AMAZING coverage and it doesn't look cakey if it is applied properly. I would definitely recommend this, you just have to get the hang of applying it.
It is a bit expensive but a little goes a long way :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 8:04:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this on the recommendation of the SA at Sephora when I asked for a foundation that would dry down fairly matte in comparison to my regular foundations, Hourglass Veil and Cargo Oil-Free. I guess I should have specified that I wanted MATTE, not CHALKY, because chalky is definitely what I got.

I got the Mat Velvet in color #20, which is a perfect match for my NC15 skin. The color itself is absolutely fabulous for me, so I'm actually pretty bummed that the rest of the foundation is such a disaster. It could have been so wonderful! However, it was not to be.

The first problem I have with this product is that it dries extremely fast, which makes application a bit tricky. If you don't move quickly, you will end up with a blotchy effect, with the foundation being thicker in some areas and thinner or nonexistent in others. I ended up applying it in one area at a time to combat this problem, instead of dotting it all over my face and then stippling it in the way I do with my other foundations. Even with this method, however, I find that it tends to cake up on me, especially around my mouth and chin. If I go back and try to blend, it wipes off and I end up with little to no coverage in the areas that were blended. Coverage is also not great, and is definitely, at least in my opinion, not buildable without looking very cakey and masklike.

However, the worst part about the Mat Velvet is the final finish. It dries down to an incredibly chalky finish. Not just matte, but chalky. Admittedly, I have normal-to-dry skin, but I always moisturize very well before applying my foundation, and even that doesn't help the final result. My skin looks dull and lifeless with this foundation. It also highlights every dry flake on my face and causes even more! Within a couple of days ( I was really, really trying to make this work), my face became a dry, flaky mess, and by midday it was tight and dry and I couldn't wait to get home and get it off.

Finally, there were the breakouts. I don't ever break out, except for the rare TTOTM pimple. Two days after I began using this foundation, I had a chin full of bumps, one of them cystic. It's been 5 days since I stopped using Mat Velvet and 8 days since the breakout began (I didn't realize the foundation was doing it, as I never break out from anything), and I still have a spot on my chin! Totally unacceptable.

Overall, this is an extremely drying, breakout-inducing foundation. I would love to recommend it to you oily girls, but since it made me break out, I can't...however, the finish would be great for you. On the other hand, the dry girls may not break out, but the foundation itself will literally suck the life from your skin. Therefore, I personally feel this foundation is fit for absolutely nobody. Add to that average (at best) coverage, and you have a totally unacceptable product.

The only reason I gave it 1 lippie is because I had to, and it does have a good color selection in the lighter range...if I'm the second color up, you know they have some LIGHT foundation, which is very hard to come by with most lines.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by PeachDarling

I have incredibly pale skin and this was the only product in all of Sephora that was a color match for me. I was desperate, so I bought it, but I wish I hadn't. The skin on my forehead and nose started to get dry and flaky the second the foundation touched my skin and it was impossible to blend. When applied all over my face the color ( I can't remember what it's called, but it was the lightest shade) looked ashy and ghostly, not like porcelain.

I returned it the next day. I would never recommend that to anyone, I wish I had come on here before purchasing it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2010 3:01:00 AM More reviews by queenbee17

This foundation did not work for me at all. I have pretty oily skin and this made it dried out looking in some places but still oily in others. It didn't blend well at all, very strange and streaky looking. Also when I would try to apply concealer over it the concealer would NOT blend in! Besides all that I have very pale but rosy, pink skin. The color they matched me with looks like it's straight up vampire white and washes me out, I look like I'm dead when I wear it. Ew.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 8:43:00 PM More reviews by betabel

I wear shade 20 in this particular product and I absolutely love it! It's hard to find foundations with subtle yellow undertones, without too much pink, but this foundation nails it. It also gives my skin that smooth flawless look. It does what a foundation is meant to do: create a smooth foundation for the rest of your makeup. It's very expensive, but to me it's worth it. It's the best foundation I've ever had!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by DiyaSpade

Used MUFE Mat Velvet #65, I'm usually a MAC C4. I tried pixiwoo's tip to use a fndtn brush to apply moisturizer so your brush is moist. Anyhoo, it felt kinda thick, and was still kind of hard to spread. My arm felt like it got a workout because I spent so much time spreading and buffing. The coverage was great, but the color was off. SO said it looked ok, but I felt kinda orange. Im returning it, but maybe I'll try a different color for this one.