Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I put this product to the ultimate test twice. The first time was in Mexico the morning after my destination wedding and I was doing a photo shoot on the beach, getting soaking wet in the water, and I needed a waterproof foundation that would last throughout the shoot. This foundation rose to the occasion. Then, just this past week, I was in extremely hot and humid temperatures at a sporting event and, luckily, I had the foresight to use this foundation, instead of my usual stuff. Again, this foundation did it's job exceedingly well.

This foundation is extremely mattifying, so I only recommend it to oily skin types. A little foundation goes a very long way and it blends so well into your skin. I can even get away with using a much darker shade than I should, just because of it's blending power and you can always lighten it up with powder. There's only one other foundation that I've used that can matte skin like this one, but it's made by Chanel and probably 1.5x more in price. continued >>

on 8/12/2010 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Ive tried a few high end foundations and im pretty pleased. My shade is a pretty perfect match.

Pros: Oil free, stays on all day, buildable, med to full coverage, does keep your face mat. does cover blemishes really well, creamy, easy to blend with fingers and onto certain spots. doesnt break me out. Looks natural, even with few coats of it.

i once went to the club with it on and you know: sweat!! I came home and it was still doing its job, covering up spots. Using it during the day, it does matify but i still find myself using blotting sheets. But no foundation can keep up mat all day. Impossible, i get oily through the day. And i dont need or use a primer.

Cons: pricey, hard to blend with brush when applying all over.

Id probably buy it again but we'll see. im always looking to try new things.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I tried this foundation because it was recommended to me by my best friend, I was a little skeptical because I have never used liquid foundation before trying revlon colorstay right before i purches the mat velvet. I always used my mac studio fix powder but when I ran out I wanted to try something new which is why I tried revlon colorstay but omg it gets great reviews but it made me break out!!!!! like crazy which is funny because mac doesn't but anywho I wanted to go back to my HG mac powder sooo bad but since revlon had broke me out I needed more coverage so I tried this out and I love it. My skin it 98% better I have scarring but this covers it up really good even without concealer. I would recommend this although you do need a primer to make it last throughout the day.

**** EDIT***** color range is very off there shades differ alot from one shade up or down my shade end up oxidizing on my so I look orange. Maybe I'll change my mind about it with the correct shade.

on 8/8/2010 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this foundation as a replacement for L'Oreal True Match liquid foundation because something is different lately with my usual shade (W1), and it does not match my skin anymore. I have this in the lightest shade and it's a perfect match for my skin. This foundation keeps my oily skin matte for longer than the True Match, but I still have to touch up with blotting papers or powder every few hours, my skin is so oily that I don't think I'll ever find a foundation that won't require at least a few touch ups every day! This foundation is fairly easy to blend, I use a sponge and I apply it to one area of my face at a time. I wish the coverage was slightly heavier, I still have to use concealer on any red spots. I like the squeeze bottle packaging, I find it easier to deal with than a jar. A major con is the price, I think I paid $39, more than twice as much as I was paying for True Match. But because I have so much trouble finding foundations that match my very fair skin and last all day despite my skin's oiliness, I'm pretty happy with this foundation and will probably repurchase when I run out.

If you like a really matte finish, then this is a great product. After seeing some of the great reviews on here, I decided to test it out to see if it lived up to it's hype. It is a great foundation for those with combo/oily or oily skin (like me), and it does a good job at keeping the oil under control. It has very good coverage! This foundation really does stay put, even in the 110 Arizona weather, and I was even impressed at the staying power after 45 minutes of cardio, I still had good coverage! However, there were a few things I didn't like about this foundation: I felt it really made my pores stand out. It also was very thick and very hard to blend. You have to move fast! Spraying water or MAC Fix+ on your brush and face prior to application does help with this, but it is painfully thick. Lastly, I was matched in a 35, which was perfect when first applied, but upon inspection in the sunlight, I noticed that it had indeed oxidized during the day (which happens with any foundation when the natural oils in your face interact with the foundation) but it had darkened to an entirely different shade. Overall, I would say this is a good foundation with good coverage, but I would make sure before you buy it to get a sample first, and also when testing it, make sure you give it some time to oxidize before you pick your color. It definitely has potential, but it's just not my favorite!

on 8/4/2010 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Regardless of the fact that this emphasizes every single dry spot on my face, which is typical of nearly any matte foundation, I love this product so much. The coverage is excellent and the application is rather smooth. The dry spots on my face, after about an hour, go away due to sebum production, and this foundation helps to keep it at bay for at least a couple of hours (two to three) before my faces gets too oily to even look at in the mirror. I do find that like most other foundations I have tried, this cakes up after about three hours, but it is not as bad. I use a makeup-fixing spray after I have put this on my face, and that helps the caking matter. (It does not cake up at all anymore.) Pretty much the only thing that I do not like about this product is the way it is packaged; any bottle that I buy always has an issue of the liquid overflowing out of the container, even if I do not squeeze it at all.

on 7/29/2010 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I won't buy this foundation again. I was excited to try it but it did nothing for me. I find the formula very thin and the coverage leaves much to be desired. By the end of the day, the redness around certain areas of my face is totally visible. It did nothing to keep me less oily and it settles quite easily into my smile lines. Unfortunate for such an expensive product.

on 7/29/2010 1:38:00 AM

It is such a lovely matte foundation! I have quite a lot of acne scars and it covers them pretty well, most of the time I don't even have to apply concealer afterward:) Normally my T-zone gets a bit oily after 3 or 4 hours of applying the foundation, and it does slide off a bit on the tip of my nose but not much. The only problem is that it is a bit too beige for me since I have light olive yellowish skin undertone( I'm using #30). overall, very nice product, would repurchase!

on 7/28/2010 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Never have I found a better foundation for my oily skin! I have tried several matifying foundations (high-end and drugstore) and none can compare. This foundation truly keeps my face looking matte, fresh, smooth and flawless ALL DAY LONG. I do find though that on really hot days I find myself having to blot once or twice but thats ok w/ me. The foundation works even nicer over or in conjunction w/ the MUFE HD Primer and MUFE HD concealer which I was really impressed with. The best part of it all is it does not make me break out. The price for this product is a bit more expensive than some others out there but I really do believe it is worth the price because it will last a long time. I probably purchase the foundation every 3-4 months...and sometimes I can go longer if I don't use it everyday. Overall, this is an excellent product for oily to acne prone skin. Works wonders (imo)!

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

For reference, I am an NC45 in MAC and wear shade 65 in Mat Velvet. I bought this to wear at a wedding, because I didn't want my foundation melting off on the dance floor. To make matters worse, it rained as well! I was worried this would end up separating on me, but when I got home and looked in the mirror I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did it look fantastic, but it did help control my oil a bit. Not completely, but I didn't look as shiny as I usually do, which is a plus considering I walked around in the rain and danced. I love the squeeze-bottle packaging-- it's more efficient at getting out all the product than a pump. I also love that the bottle is sort of flat--it makes it easy to fit into my makeup bag for travel.

The coverage is great, but I've found that it does feel heavy on my face. I've also found that it tends to settle into my pores and fine lines when I apply it. It also looks a bit unnatural on me, too much like I'm wearing makeup. I think this would be fine for a special event or clubbing, anything like that, but as for everyday wear I'll pass, especially with the high price.