September 19, 2014 | 1907 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2009 6:27:00 PM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

As far as I know I used a good qualtiy extra virgin olive oil.

I applied a little at night after my usual cleansing and massaged it into my face a bit (just as I do with jojoba oil occasionally) and left it on over night. The next morning my face felt tight and was a tiny bit on the red side. The following two to three days my skin felt and looked dry and even very slightly flaky. Then my skin went back to normal, thank goodness. It was almost like I'd had a mild chemical peel, but without the nice glow or any benefits once the flaking was over! Perhaps it's just my skin that does not like olive oil, or perhaps it was the brand, but I'm not ging to be experimenting with other EVOO's to find out! I'm going to stick with jojoba when I want an oil fix, it works much better for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by streetsofyourtown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

EVOO has been a major part of my beauty routine since I discovered it a year ago. I use the oil cleansing method (EVOO + castor oil) several times a week, or daily if I have the time/inclination, and it truly makes my face glow. Dead, peeling skin is gently exfoliated and my pores are left immaculate. The oil cleansing method has never made me break out, and doesn't overdry skin. I've recommended it to my sister, whose skin dries up and flakes very easily.

EVOO doubles as a moisturiser; I like it on rough parts of my body and dry, sensitive areas of my face such as around the eyes. It also moisturises lips and, mixed with sugar, makes a softening scrub.

The final way I use EVOO is in my hair. I apply it to dry hair and leave it for a few minutes to a few hours, before washing and conditioning as usual. For a more intensive treatment I cover my EVOO-soaked hair in plastic and blow dry for a minute. It gives my hair new life (...uhh, despite hair being dead and all...), making it soft, shiny and strong as well as clarifying. However, it DOES strip hair dye from the hair, so I only use it when I'm planning to re-dye my hair in the next few days. This is a bit sad because it really does work miracles on my hair; if it didn't strip the dye I would use it weekly.

I believe that I will continue to use EVOO for the rest of my life!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 11:21:00 AM More reviews by toezies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this has been one of my HG products for years, I've used it as hair mask, an eye moisterizer, a makeup remover, mix w/ sugar and used as a hand and body scrub, its a great cuticle restorer, its worth trying everyone has some hanging around usually!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 11:02:00 AM More reviews by productjunkie15

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to use the EVOO from DHC ($39 for a tiny bottle). I just recently started using STAR brand from the supermarket and my results are just the same at a fraction of the cost. I paid $6 for a 17 ounce bottle. I buy the kind that is USDA certified Organic and first cold pressed. It has been extremely helpful lately as I've tried a new night cream with retinol in it and it's making my skin flaky and dry. I warm a dime size amount of the oil in my hands and pat it on my face and neck (over the retinol night cream). I wake up to the softest skin! My pores seem smaller too - now whether this is a result of the EVOO or the retinol I'm not sure. I like to think it's the combination. I highly reccommend EVOO to anyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by xxcrissy

I spent quite a while reading all the reviews on here. After a long and hard think, I decided to try out EVOO. Since I have combination skin that tends to break out every once in a while I decided not to try this on my face. I mixed some EVOO with sugar and rubbed it all over my arms and legs. After I stepped into the shower and washed it all off. Now my skin is so soft and smooth its unbelievable. This is now my HG scrub! Before I would use St. Ives Apricot Scrub on my body once a week, now I'm going to start using this mix of EVOO and sugar. Thank god i read about it on MUA! Might try this on my face sometime soon.. will keep this space updated. Thanks ladies :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by ykalkay9

Bravissimo! :) EVOO has long been touted a good health feature of our lives and I didn't hesitate try it on my skin and all claims were true. I even started seeing it pull out impurities from my skin. I know a lot of folks are hesitant believing adding oil to oily or acne-prone skin could worsen the condition, but you have to remember, this is not the way our skin acts. when our skin is dried out, it creates MORE oil to overcompensate not less. So adding a complex oil such as olive oil to your face will likely help lessen the break outs IF YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO IT of course. But i do believe all things take time as many posters have pointed our attention to in begging a little patience and perseverance. So don't give up and do give it a go as I think you'll find it an all-natural, beneficial product for a fraction of the commercial line cost.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Dori319

I slept at my boyfriends last night and had no makeup removal product with me so I decided to try to take my eye makeup off with EVOO after reading the rave reviews about it here on MUA. To my surprise, it actually worked really well. I was expecting it to basically smudge and smear my black makeup all over my face and burn my eyes but it did neither. A few swipes of this stuff on a paper towel took all my mascara, eyeliner and eye shadow off without even burning my eyes! I was really amazed but I'm glad I tried it because even though I probably wont replace my Neutrogena oil free makeup remover with EVOO, its nice to know I can use it if I ever need to again.
I haven't used it for anything else except eye makeup removal since I'm hesitant to put this on my face like others have for acne but maybe I'll try that too one day. Thanks MUA!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by blisteringpree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

EVOO is incredible for skin; it heals my pimples, my scars, my distinctly stubby eyelashes, etc. There isn't much to say about EVOO that others haven't already said; however, I figure I'll give everyone a heads up which might have escaped some: EVOO can go rancid and bad if left too long. Do not use rancid EVOO on your skin--it will irritate your skin and it will make your skin break out.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by xizilia7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

BEST waterproof eye makeup remover ever! hands down! I leave it on (w/ eyes closed of course) while i brush my teeth (w/ a sonicare 2 min timer), then i wash my face afterwards w/ my cleanser and it takes off everything! Natural and accessible!
Prices vary depending on how much you're willing to spend since it's only on for a couple of minutes. Packaging: well just transfer to a small bottle. Of course, I'd buy this again and for my bread dipping! ; D

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 3:28:00 AM More reviews by Lovelytrue

Can't say enough good things about good old fashioned olive oil. I have problems with crepey skin under my eyes during the winter (not actual wrinkles) and olive oil smoothes my skin out immediately--much better than any eye cream (I've tried Amore Pacific, Clinique, Lancome, La Mer...).

Another great use is as a leave-in hair treatment... I wouldn't recommend using it before going out for a night on the town, because it makes the hair look a little greasy (though not too greasy to wear outside), but my hair has never felt so soft as when I let some olive oil soak in it overnight. My hair is chemically straightened, so it is practically a miracle to find something to make my hair feel smooth and silky.

In fact, I burnt a piece of hair on a Solano flat iron and had to cut about three inches off of the piece--even with the ends trimmed off the hair was like a Brillo pad--a little olive oil worked wonders!!! Better than any shine or moisturizing hairspray/leave in conditioner/restorative treatment.

Do yourself a favor and try some out! (PS, after running some through your hair, leave the residue on your hands. It'll make them baby soft!)