August 29, 2014 | 1364 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2010 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Yum3ji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

PRODUCT INFORMATION: This classic rich cream deep cleans down to the pores to remove even the most stubborn makeup and impurities, while leaving skin soft and smooth.

The white, opaque cream is packaged in a 190 mL matted, white plastic jar with a Tiffany-coloured plastic screw top. This product is not fragrance-free.

Directions: Massage gently over face and throat. Remove with a warm washcloth.

MY THOUGHTS: I purchased a 190 mL container of POND'S Cold Cream for normal or dry skin at Save-On-Foods for $8.99 CAD. The product is very thick, like yogurt or softened cream cheese, while the fragrance reminds me of roses. Cold cream is an emulsion of water and certain fats, including beeswax and fragrance, to remove makeup. Oils like mineral oil and jojoba oil (which are slower to spoil) now replace the traditional olive oil along with alcohol, glycerin and lanolin. Meanwhile, borax is responsible for the whiteness in cold cream. The name itself derives from the cooling sensation left behind by the cream.

The product did a satisfactory job of removing my makeup and Shiseido sunscreen. Note: I did need to use warm water to adequately remove the cold cream from my face. In addition, I follow this product with Aveeno's Ultra-Calm Foaming Cleanser. In regards to maintaining sanitary practices, I use a small spoon instead of my fingers to scoop out the product.

Paula Begoun rates this product as average due to its outdated, greasy texture. However, both she and Dr. Leslie Baumann agree that this cleanser is best suited for dry, sensitive skin types.

INGREDIENTS: Mineral Oil, Aqua, Ceresin, Beeswax, Triethanolamine, Ceteth-20, Parfum, Behenic Acid, Montan Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

MYSELF: I'm an Euro-Canadian with combination and sensitive skin that is prone to clogged pores (Baumann skin type: OSPW). continued >>

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by cat070992

Pros:
takes off all makeup
can use it anywhere
cheap

Cons:
leaves a very oily, gunky feeling afterwards
dislike the packaging; I would prefer it in a tube or something

I would not buy this product again because even though it is great at taking off makeup, it takes a lot of effort and i hate hate HATE the feeling it leaves afterward

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2010 9:29:00 PM More reviews by stcxtc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great for waterproof mascara! Also for taking off my MAC full coverage foundation which basically cements itself into my skin. I use facial tissue to remove the product as opposed to a cotton pads (sometimes the cotton fibers stick to my lashes). Removes every trace of makeup but does leave a greasy film. I definitely need to follow-up with Mary Kay's Velocity Foaming Cleanser and then a toner and I feel like my face is super clean and soft. At the end of the day, put the cold cream all over your face and jump in the shower and use your washcloth--- the water and steam makes the grime melt away. This is sooo cheap and sooo good. I once read a biography on Jackie Kennedy and it said she constantly slathered Pond's Cold Cream on her face as a moisturizer. I thought it was odd that she could afford any product in the world, yet chose Ponds...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

I Love his cleanser :) at first, I really did not like this because of the gross oily feeling it left on my skin (this was when I was around 16, and wasn't using this to remove my makeup) Anywho, after hearing tons of raves that this is great for removing eyemakeup, foundation etc...I decided to try it again. One of my local liquidating store has boxes of this stuff for only $2.00- so I grabbed one and have since fallen in love =) I first apply this on my eyes and it does not sting or irritate them at all, which is nice. After about a one minute or two, I remove it with a makeup remover towelette or a cloth and it effortlessely removes eyemakeup without drying out your skin around your eyes. I also like this to remove face makeup, it removes my Revlon colorstay foundation and Maybelline powder nicley. A cheap, cult favorite product that truly works!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by SayoonaraSadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this as an eye makeup remover, and although its a bit messy, it does the job. I'm terrified of the idea of applying this to my entire face though. After turning 20 my skin went crazy and now im trying to battle acne, so this on my face was was just not gonna happen. As an eyemakeup remover though this is quite nice, I do use a makeup removing cloth instead of tissue since I like to be thorough.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 10:15:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff takes off makeup great and really cleans the skin. Great for dry skin. It isn't that expensive at all and doesn't cause me to break out. I don't like the oily feel it has and you have to remove it with a pad or tissue. For the winter months or when im getting overly dry it works great, for other times I use the Cucumber deep cleanser which isn't as intense, but rinses away cleaner. Also the american packaging is crappy and the mexican version is soo much better as well as cheaper to buy. The one I have is called "Remueve Maquillaje e impurezas".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am on my second little jar of this "cool classic" for removing makeup. I also like to use Albolene very much but this one is starting to edge it out to remove foundation. I just slather it on my face and neck, rub gently over eye area, and wipe off with a tissue. Then I clean with my nightly soap and water, using a white washcloth. I rinse well and then place the washcloth on my face and press it to remove any lasting residue. Then I go over the face and neck with toner before the night-time moisturizing begins. It's quite simple, and it sure works for me. I also enjoy the scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by its123me

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a very nice cold cream. The trick is to use it correctly. Slather a generous amount of cold cream on face. Then use tissues to wipe off the cream and the dissolved make up. After that, use a very warm wash cloth to remove the remainder of the product. In addition to this, one could wash afterward with a foaming cleanser or use toner. This is an oil, and while it cleans very well, it should be thoroughly removed afterward to insure that one doesn't get break outs. It can also be used as a heavy moisturizer.

I was a long time user of this product, but recently quit using it, as my husband told me he hates the smell. I now use a cold cream that I make myself so that I can control the scent.

Overall a very good product for cleaning and make up removal, when used correctly, and a great buy for the money!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by mashimaru

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product works well at dissolving makeup because it contains mineral oil as its first ingredient. Mineral oil is very effective at dissolving makeup. There's no other magic to it. I'm not crazy about the fact that it doesn't rinse off well - apparently, removing it is quite a laborious, complicated process. If you like the scent and the creaminess of the product, then enjoy. But there are other products out there that dissolve makeup completely *and* rinse clean very easily. Cold cream only does the first part well. So ... meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 3:09:00 AM More reviews by m4mitchell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG cleanser. It removes all of my makeup, even waterproof eye makeup, with a minimum of scrubbing and it also helps moisturize my normal to dry skin. I like the fact that this has been around for 100+ years - it's a testament to the fact that this works!

I scoop a dollop of the cream out of the jar and massage it onto my face, and wipe it off with a wet warm washcloth. I generally have to go back and focus on my eyes some more when I use waterproof eyemakeup, but it doesn't take that long. Sometimes I'll wash my face again to make sure there's no residue left, other times I don't especially when my face is feeling dry and I want the extra moisture.

I'm sometimes tempted to buy a vintage Ponds Cold Cream jar off ebay and repot this product into the old jar; there are some gorgeous vintage ceramic jars out there and I enjoy using such an old fashioned product. Unfortunately this probably isn't the most sanitary idea, but I'm still intrigued. It would look nice on my dressing table.