NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 8/16/2012 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought this foundation last year when I was in Paris.
I got matched to the shade Mont Blanc at sephora, OMG I have never EVER found a foundation that have matched mmy skin colour so well. I am cool toned but still not extremley pink...I find that many cool-toned drugstore foundations, fit me n.115 for example are too pink and dark...mont blanc are just perfectly cool toned and very pale. It is the perfect winter shade.
I love the finish, it looks amazing when u apply it. The only problem I have with it is the staying power... I have not tried to set it with powder though...maybe it would make the staying power better.

The shade mont blanc goes so well together with the Becca shimmering skin perfector in pearl! <3

on 8/15/2012 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Kinky, Fine

Ah Nars Sheer Glow, If only my skin had a great texture, you would look lovely.

My Skin and Expectations
I wanted medium coverage in a foundation that matched my olive/golden undertones. I wanted an even skintone and to hide some of my scars. I wanted it to last 8 hours with powder. My skin is recovering from acne, I have weird hormones, so it's very oily in some places and very dry in others. I have surface dehydration but I exfoliate regularly. Because I get breakouts occasionally, when the breakout heals, there's dry skin where the cyst was (my cysts are deep and can be painful, I use a 3rd gen retinoid/BP product to get deep in the skin and clean out the cyst). When I exfoliate (chemically or physically) I look like I have smooth skin.

Cons: This didn't look natural on me. It created dry flakes out of no where, Even when I warmed it up and used my fingers, it just didn't look nice. It made m blackheads look huge and after a few hours my monster pores looked AWFUL. Now my skin isn't great and is a work in progress, but despite wearing it very very sheerly, or over primer, I just could not get this to work. It caked on breakouts, it highlighted flakes, it even highlighted my baby hairs all over my face. With powder it would stay on for hours, without, oh goodness.

Pros
I bought this before my skin became awful, before the pores, the acne, before the flakes, and this looked lovely on me. Barcelona is too peachy but the perfect nc40 depth.

Packaging

There is no pump. Hello Bacteria. The Glass Bottle is durable and heavy though, it's very pretty.

Would I buy this again?

No, I require a lot more from a foundation, this just didn't deliver.

on 8/13/2012 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

After reading many "glowing" reviews of this product, I decided to give it a shot. A sales associate matched me as Mont Blanc and gave me a sample. When I first applied it in the morning at 8am (over Lorac's AquaPrime) and set it with Cargo's HD pressed powder, it looked amazing. Illuminated with a glow that was truly sheer at first, my face looked healthy and revitalized. However, when I looked in the mirror two hours later, I was horrified--my glow had metamorphosed into a greasy mess. I delicately used blotting sheets, which partially remedied the situation, but I noticed that the foundation was not staying on too well--it had creased into my laugh lines and I had strange lines on my forehead--which I have never experienced. The strangest thing happened once I reached the evening--my fiance, which a scared look on his face, asked if I was feeling alright because my face looked green. I looked in a mirror myself, and found it to be true--the light reflectors in the foundation were causing my face to appear green. I washed the foundation off, and swore it off. Perhaps individuals who use a darker shade will not experience this last situation. However, I do not feel that this is a suitable foundation for those with combo or oily skin, for it seems to overmoisturize. Additionally, I found that it emphasized my dark spots. If you are on the fence about this one, get a sample first before shelling out the big bucks.

on 8/4/2012 12:26:00 PM

I was so excited for this foundation. I'm a fan of nars blush and I felt they are well established with their makeup tht it would be a good idea to finally try out the foundation. I'm a huge fan of liquid foundation, I love the smooth, clear finish of liquid foundations. For reference I'm 23, am an esthetician so my skin is pretty clear overall, sometimes I do get some blemishes on my cheeks. This foundation is well with coverage. It is build able ...

What makes me upset was that I spent 42 dollars on a foundation that makes my face extremely shiny after 3 hours. It melts off even when the weather isn't that hot. The color I have is Barcelona. I got Barcelona because I'm tan in the summer and it's a good choice a little bit darker but makes you look orange of you don't wipe with a paper towel or tissue. Overall huge disappointment

This foundation is very expensive, and bare in my mind if I'm spending the amount I did for this on a foundation I expect a pretty great foundation.
This was not a good foundation.
For a start, I was matched by one of the girls who worked at the Nars counter. I didn't realise until I started using the foundation the next week how off she was. The colour was way too light and made me look like a ghost. I have an asian/olive skin tone.
It lasted about 5 hours with a primer.
It's very expensive! I paid £29.50 for it.
I have combination skin - more to the oily/shiny side, especially my t-zone, in photos my face looks like it's sweating and this did nothing to help that. I understand that the sheer matte may have helped with that, however I have dry patches on my cheeks so was advised against buying that by the Nars girl.
Overall, not happy at all with this.

on 8/2/2012 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have oily skin, but Sheer Glow works a lot better for my skin than Sheer Matte. (Something in the Sheer Matte formula irritated my skin.) I have to mix the two lightest shades to get a good color match, but besides that minor annoyance, this is my go-to foundation for the warmer months. It doesn't break me out, doesn't oxidize and doesn't look fake or heavy.

on 8/1/2012 6:36:00 AM

I only got this because I keep getting Space NK vouchers and there aren't lots of products I really like in there, so thought I'd try a foundation from Nars.

I don't like the packaging and the fact that I need to pay extra for a pump, when this isn't cheap in the first place. Nice colour selection, goes on really nice and gives good coverage with a sheen, needs careful & quick blending - all in all v nice effect. Buuuuut, a couple of hours in, it all starts to decompose and melt away in top of my skin. While I have combi, my skin is not v oily and plenty of other - cheaper foundations - last much better than this.

Nice foundation but def not worth the money, would not buy it again, even with a gift voucher.

on 7/31/2012 7:39:00 PM

Is it just me or does this not come with a pump? I had a great skin match with Deauville, BUT after about 30 minutes it had oxidized. :( Not only that, but it was definitely not good for my combination skin. To be fair, the Sephora SA reminded me of that before my purchase but I told her I was okay with a little dewyness. This got oily almost right away. So sad since it's such a lovely finish. It does not have that "flawless" finish I've been looking for, though. I was much happier with MUFE HD.

on 7/30/2012 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Skin type first: combination, oily, acne prone, sensitive skin,

Also allergic reactions to some ingredients often used in makeup, and I am Fair Skinned. I have larger pores and scarring from both Acne and a dog bite I received on my face as a small child. Using a Mac System, I am usually between NC-NW 07-10. I have to mix NC and NW together. NC is too pink, and NW too yellow. I have a warmer undertone to my pale skin, but it is more neutral/warm. I haven't worn makeup in years (outside of special occasions) and I have just currently jumped back in to the game of makeup. I had to give up completely on Mac Makeup. The bismuth oxychloride makes me itch horribly and break out. ANY yeast and wheat proteins also break me out. All of these things are in Mac.

I am testing out three kinds of Foundation currently. Kat Von D's new foundation lock-it. Nars Sheer Glow (In Mont Blanc and Gobi). And Tarte's Amazonian Clay (in Fair).

If you like sheer, light, and possibly medium coverage with a demi-matte to satin finish (with a primer and setting powder), this Foundation is wonderful. I don't "feel" it on my skin. After carefully reading ingredient lists a million times, this was one of the foundations I settled on trying out. It is NOT buildable past medium coverage. It will become very cakey if it is even possible to keep building it. Sheer to light is best really. More coverage than a BB cream. I used Nars concealer with this and I like how the two combine seamlessly for me.

I apply this the same way I do all liquid and cream foundations, with a damp non-latex stipple sponge. I always moisturize, use a primer, and setting powder. I have Oily/Combinations skin, but I often have flaking, (go figure). I have to exfoliate often and gently. This Foundation does not accentuate lines or flaking for me when I apply it with a sponge. On drier days, I may have to mist with a hydrating spray, on humid days (NC weather) I will have to blot or re-powder depending on humidity, otherwise it will start to become to moist on my skin and the makeup will start to transfer or shift a little.

Optimally, In doors, this makeup will last me eight to nine hours(may need to blot or re-powder my nose since makeup always transfers off my nose) Possibly longer, but since I don't work more than 9 hours, I wash my face when I get home so my skin can breathe. I don't believe any makeup whether I "feel" it or not allows the skin to "breathe". Also, Ten hours is about the tops for me with this foundation. At that point, if I look closely at my skin I notice it doesn't look as nice as it did when I first put it on hours ago. It doesn't look bad, just not optimal. Which after nine to ten hours, most makeup won't look optimal. Outdoors, in July (NC) heat and humidity, Five to Six hours (without blotting or re-powdering, usually if I am at an outdoor event of some kind I do not have time or the luxury of reapplying or carrying around makeup).

This foundation has NO spf. Which is wonderful if you need to wear it for photography. No flash-back. If you are going to be outside, I would strongly suggest a sunscreen underneath your makeup since this contains none. However, I personally prefer makeup with SPF. I like to be able to choose the type of spf that is going to be on my skin.

For light to medium coverage days, I give this a Five out of Five. I like the finish. I like how long it lasts, and I like how it feels, or rather doesn't feel on the skin. The price is typical for foundations these days that aren't drug store. I don't like the prices on anything actually, but it isn't over priced so I will leave it at five for that. I always want more product for my money. If they came in gallon jugs I would be much more pleased.

The packaging... I don't care about the pump, pumps often jam on me so it not coming with one doesn't particularly bother me. What does however is how small the opening of the product is. Always shaking my product before using it... I find air bubbles are often at the opening making it very difficult to easily get anything out of this bottle. I have resorted to using sanitized crafting sticks, dipping them into the bottle and swiping the product on my pallet.

::edit:: 01.06.2013
I haven't found a foundation that works as well as this one does for me. This is My HG foundation. In Gobi.

Edited: I finally accepted that I am sensitive to silicones. I can no longer use this product. I still think it's an excellent product and I recommend it to those who are not sensitive to any type of silicone.

This is the first foundation I've ever loved! My skin is oily with huge pores. My biggest issue with foundation is keeping my skin matte or semi-matte without drying out my skin and making my pores look even bigger. I have searched high and low for a foundation that will keep my skin glowy and moisturized looking and sort of "plump out" my pores while keeping my skin from becoming an oil slick by the end of the day. Sheer Glow is the winner!!

First of all, I love the application. The smooth texture feels like lotion going on. I was applying with my fingers for a long time and that was working great. I have recently been using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush which you can find at Ulta. Sheer Glow foundation with this brush gives a perfectly flawless finish! Sheer Glow, unlike a lot of foundations I've tried, is easy to brush out to an even finish.

Then, the finish. I know the name of the foundation is "Sheer Glow" but the finish is neither sheer nor glowy. It gives medium coverage which could be buildable if needed. I use a little extra around my nose and it doesn't get cakey. It doesn't glow, it just leaves skin looking natural and skin-like, not quite matte. It just looks perfect! My pores appear smaller, the oilies are controlled for a long time. I do have to blot maybe once in the late afternoon, but compared to many other products I've tried this is nothing. It also photographs awesome! This is a great selling point for me.

Third, color selection. If I had to have one gripe about this product that would be it. I am super picky about my foundation match and have tried many of the shades looking for the perfect match. The colors are very much on the yellow side, which is ok for me usually because I am golden/neutral toned. In the winter I am NC25 and Santa Fe is perfect. I originally tried Punjab and while the shade was okay, it was much too yellow for me. Santa Fe is more on the neutral side without being pink. Now in the summer is where I have the problem. My tanned skin is closer to NC35. I've tried Barcelona, which should be my color match at this point but dries too orangy for my liking. I think shade-wise I should be at Stromboli, but it is way too yellow/olive toned for me. I have found my perfect match by mixing 2/3 Barcelona to 1/3 Santa Fe. It's a bit of a hassle but totally worth it!
I also should say that the colors oxidize a bit, so if you find that the color is a bit light going on, it will dry down a slight darker.

Overall I think this foundation is a must-try. I have read that it can emphisize flakies and cause break outs in some folks, so getting a sample is your best bet.

Video Reviews & Tutorials