MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 3/31/2010 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't like this foundation much. I found the shades to run terribly orange (I'm an NC35-37 and tried the shades from NC30 up to NC40)....I couldn't find a good colour match for my yellow undertoned skin. However, I did purchase a tube because I thought I could make it work for me. How wrong I was....

The colour is disgusting. Makes me look like a tangerine on Haloween. The consistency sounded great in theory - a gel - but in reality I find it to be very thick. The SA said this would give me light/medium coverage (the only type of coverage I like basically) but this looks so heavy on my face, no matter how little I apply. It's obvious I'm wearing makeup. I don't see how this could look natural on anybody. I've tried using fingers, sponges, brushes....all methods look nasty.

I have normal-combo skin and whilst this does last all day, I found it to get a little slimy and greasy after a few hours. I remember meeting my boyfriend for coffee and popping to the bathroom...I took one look in the mirror and my face looked so horrible. It was oily and I looked like I slapped makeup on in the dark. I actually looked like a drag queen. In photographs that I took, it looked alright, but still, it looked like I had tonnes of makeup on.

I also experienced some small breakouts from this, whiteheads in particular. None of my other foundations break me out. I think the heaviness of this foundation is what caused it. My skin felt like it was covered in cling-film.

I would definately not repurchase this. The packaging is great but that's about it.

on 3/30/2010 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been on a search for a foundation for so long now.....and I think I may have found it!!!
I purchased this Saturday in NW20.....I have used other MAC foundations such as Studio Fix Fluid and have had terrible breakouts or the color just did not match when I brought it home.
This shade matches so close that I cant tell I have it on....it looks like my skin...just better.
I tried applying on Monday with the small MAC skunk brush and did not like the results, so I smoothed it out with a sponge. I bought the yellow Essence of Beauty foundation/concealer combo and used Monistat chafing gel as my primer and the results were wonderful. I have not experienced any breakouts so far.... and I say that with confidence that I will not have any because if I had been using SFF I would have had horrible breakouts.
I would say that the coverage is medium and it covers pretty well. You really only need a small amount...it eally goes along way. As for oil control, I would say it was average. When purchasing this foundation, the color match and breakout factor were my most important concern.
I know that MAC foundations are known for their tendancy to oxidize...... this stays true to the color.
I finish this off with MAC Prep and Prime translucent finishing powder and no oilies at least until lunchtime.
I will purchase this again....as long as it does not break me out! Will provide an update later.

on 3/28/2010 5:35:00 PM

This foundation is amazing, if you apply it correctly. I bought this a while back and I hated it (my shade is NW20). I used a sponge to apply (at the time I didn't realize how important brushes really are). It looked cakey and yellow on my face. It was awful and instead of returning it, I threw it in the drawer. I was going through my makeup a week ago and stumbled across Studio Sculpt and decided to give it another go. I now have a pretty hefty brush collection (because I saw the error in my ways, haha). I applied this with the 187 brush, and voila! Absolute perfection! As another reviewer stated, a little goes a long way here. When you apply with the 187, you get an airbrushed finish that looks incredibly flawless. I highly recommend this foundation. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the packaging. It comes in a squeeze tube. I'm down to the last bit of product, so I'm trying to save what I can. When I squeeze the tube, a huge amount squirts out and I hate wasting product. Still, if you can, see if you can get a little sample jar so you can test it out at home before committing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

This product is very light for a foundation. A little goes a long way and should definitely be applied in moderation. I only use this to cover up any redness or blemishes on my skin. Nothing is worse then looking like you have foundation all over your face. I rarely ever use foundation but always turn to this when I need to. The coverage is awesome and lasts the whole day. I finish it off the Mac Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Medium Plus.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was matched to nw20 and this was a good choice for me, a pink/beige colour which suited my pale cool toned skin. liked the thickness of the product and how easily i could spread...it is buildable..however if you have oily skin you will need a primer or a mattifier underneath as it contains sheer butter so will easily slip off the face..
over all not a bad foundation..looked nice and semi matt and didnt highlight my large pores or wrinkles

on 3/22/2010 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I am on the hunt for a new HG foundation. I have tried several in the last few weeks and decided to try this one. I recieved a generous sample from a very nice MAC MA at one of the local dept. store counters. I recieved a sample in NW43, since I have recently discovered that it is my shade in Studio Fix Fluid.

Overall, this is a nice creamy foundation. I applied with my 109. I went onto my skin smoothly, and covered the few, very light pimple marks. It gave me a soft, finished airbrushed look. I was happy.

An hour later, my face looked horrible!!! This stuff oxidizes like nobody's business. It changed to a muddy, reddish brown and it began to feel heavy on my face. I have dry skin and the MA definitely told me this product is not for anyone with oily skin, and now I know why. I made me look greasy. BTW I set with Studio Fix Powder with 134 brush very lightly. I was at work, so I washed this off and dusted my face with some powder.

Note: I have noticed that with MAC you may or may not be the same shade in different types of foundation. For example: Studio Fix in C7 is my HG powder, but I need NW 43 in Studio Fix Fluid and Studio Sculpt in NW43 didn't match.

on 3/19/2010 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

What I like most about this product is that it stays put for me. I turn into an oil slick with any non-powder foundation but was finding that powders were working less well with my aging skin. I'm not having major problems with oiliness using this; maybe just on the nose. The product doesn't slip around on the face too much for me. It doesn't feel heavy at all. Shade matches my skin nicely although an MUAer advised that I buy one shade darker than I would in Studio Fix which was good advice.

on 3/19/2010 2:31:00 PM

i came across this foundation by asking a girl whos complexion looked absolutley flawless what foundation she wore.. after hunting for so many years to find one i actully liked,she said mac studio sculpt.after reading all the mixed reviews on here wasnt sure if to try it or not so got a tester first in nc25,colour is perfect for me,goes on lovely,u really do only need a pea sized amount else it can look thick and cakey.it looks so natural, i set with the mac prep and prime tranparent finishing powder and looks amazing,pores are hardly visible and lasts all day.i apply with fingers or a foundation brush,will buy again very happy
im used to wearing doublewear so do need a longlasting foundation and this seems to have the same staying power,have not tried it without the mac prep and prime powder tho but if ur looking for a foundation like double wear but a bit more natural then this is def the one to try!

on 3/19/2010 3:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

well i have the mac studio fix foundation and i love it and i must say i love the stuio sculpt as well...i have very oily acne prone skin, and i have a lot of post acne spots and redness as well and it covers my imperfection beautifully.

the thing is that ss can look a bit thick on your face..but to prevent that i only take a pea size amount and dot it all over my face, put a little more where i need more coverage..and take a stippling brush or a flat powder brush and dampen it with water...and then i blend blend blend!!!! you can either set it with fix+ or powder(i use either laura mercier setting powder or mac msf natural)...and it makes it look like my really skin while covering everything..i dont need to use a concealer

it is 40ml, studio fix found has 30ml and is in a tube, which i think is more sanitary and convenient. another big thing, is that it doesnt oxiize on my face..yay!!!!..it has a creamy texture, not runny. it has a smell to it, but it doesnt bother me gives a dewy finish, if i dont powder my forehead and nose will be shiny & oily. however my friend has dry skin and it is so beautiful on her. anyways i would purchase again as i dont need much to cover!!!

dont like the fact that if i dont set with powder, i get super greasy and sweaty looking and i feel like the foundation never sets, like itll just rub off, however good coverage and like the packaging

on 3/13/2010 2:42:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This stuff is so heavy. I asked the SA for a medium coverage and she reccomended this. When she tested it out on me, she used a sponge and used like 4 squeezes of the tube. EEEEEKKKK. that was so much product and it looked soooo cakey. I bought it anyways and tried it at home with different brushes to try to sheer it out. Foundation brush, 109 dupe brush, kabuki, stippler, all made it hard to sheer out because it was sooo thick. and looked like a heavy mask.

My skin was bad at the time (dry flakes, blemishes) so heavy coverage accenuated it. I havent tried it lately (with my good skin) so I cant judge it there.

It does control oil and provides a matte complexion.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv