October 24, 2014 | 875 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by graznik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Provides medium coverage without looking heavy or like you're wearing too much make-up. It doesn't go on chalky or powdery at all for me, and I have dry skin.
Applied with MAC #187 it gives an airbrushed finish that evens out my skintone and lightly covers some spots and dark circles (although a concealer is definitly neccesary). I set it with powder and it lasts me all day, without fading or going oily.
This foundation doesn't really have a "wow factor", and that's why it only gets four lippies, but it's damn good and does it's job really well. It never dissapoints me, like loads of other foundations have done. I would definitly repurchase this.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2010 4:47:00 AM More reviews by Tinka84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There's something about sculpt that's not quite right.
I've been using the perfect matching NC20 for months now. It's odd that I didn't come to the conclusion that this foundation looks awful on me after only a few hours until recently. Considering I've been thinking I'd found my HG foundation!

It's common knowledge that you shouldn't even consider trying sculpt when you have a (somewhat) oily complexion. However, my skin is fairly normal, dry even. Only during my period my T-zone tends to get a little oily during the day.

Here's what: sculpt looks so amazingly good upon applying, it gives my skin a healthy glow, blends beautifully, the amount of a pie will get you pretty far and the coverage is great as well. So far, I am a big fan of a gelbased foundation like this one. Then, after only a few hours, things seem to go wrong. It starts looking chalky and powdery. Such a different structure from the smooth and dewy 'first look' of it. And although I do have a normal complexion - as I mentioned earlier - it creeps into my pores and the fine lines underneath my eyes. During the day it transforms into an oily yet powdery sheet on my skin.

Worse, I cannot touch my face without wiping sculpt off and having it clinch onto my fingers. Accidentally rubbing your nose? Uh uh, bad idea! Even without having my skin make contact with anything varying from clothes, fingers or hair this foundation starts to slither on my face.

UPDATE: Ditched this terrible foundation. Finally listened to people telling me it looked like a was wearing a mask. Why did I go through all the trouble in the first place? Because MAC is a popular brand? They may be on top of their game when it comes to eye shadows, their foundations are awful.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2010 8:50:00 AM More reviews by Chii21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was recommended this product by MAC and after a bit of research decided to give this foundation a go, the reviews were pretty good and I suppose I was hoping for a miracle foundation.
I have very dry skin and I find normal foundations just tend to look flaky and make my skin feel very tight, I was hoping MAC wouldn't be one of them.
Unfortunately, this gel based foundation didn't seem to sink into my skin very well and just made my face feel very dry, especially around my t-zone, it even enhanced dry parts on my face that I didn't know I had!
I wouldn't recommend this foundation to someone with very dry skin, I suggest sticking to a liquid foundation instead of going for a gel based one.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2010 10:47:00 AM More reviews by claire8

I liked the packaging of this foundation, a tube is much easier than those glass bottles. I started out buying this NC25 which is the colour i usually wear...this was so orange! Such an unnatural colour compared to NC25 in the other foundations. So i went back....the SA gave me NW20. This looked great when i first applied it but was a greasy mess after about an hour! Also left a pink cast on my face. I have combo skin. Couldn't wait to wash it off. Also tried NC20, which was too light. I wouldn't buy this again as the colours are strange and it gets soo greasy. Would not recommend to those with combo or oily skin at all. This would probably work great for dry or normal skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2010 6:27:00 AM More reviews by PeaceFroggy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This looked utterly sublime as I first smoothed it on, even under my unflattering bathroom lights. Natural, radiant, slightly glowy, airbrushed.

But it quickly became difficult to blend, and settled to a kind of chalky, cakey, powdery finish. While this drier finish suits some people, it is not what you expect from a creamy looking foundation with shea butter.

It is a good foundation. The shade (NW20) is a perfect match and considering the medium+ coverage, the over-all finish is fairly natural.

But if you are looking for a rich, creamy, moisturising foundation, this "gel-creme" is not it - it is surprisingly matte. A runnier, liquid consistency may actually be your best bet.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Julia2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

MAC foundations in general don't receive much praise and I understand that. They do cause breakouts for many people and they can look cakey and unnatural. However, I have to say that I love Studio Sculpt. I went to a MAC store about a month ago just to look around. They weren't very busy and a lovely MA offered to do my makeup just for fun. I told her that I as far as foundations go, I don't really have a full-coverage one that I love. She recommended Studio Sculpt and as soon as she put it on I was in love. The texture is wonderful- it is so creamy but not heavy or greasy. It is fairly thick but not too rich. It covers like a dream! I have a lot of redness in my skin (both naturally as I have a pale, pinky complexion and from pesky breakouts and post-breakout marks) and this completely covers all of it. It also seemed to smooth out the texture of my skin. She told me it would glide over the bumps on my face and make them appear smoother and less noticable, and I wrote it off as a marketing-ploy figuring there was no way that could be true. To my utter amazement, she was right! Once it is on, it doesn't look cakey or unnatural. It is not dewey but not totally matte either. With a moisturizer underneath my skin has a slight natural radiance. It stays all day with a primer underneath (I love Too Faced Primed and Poreless right now) and looks fresh until I remove it. I use the Sephora Airbrush 55 brush to apply it (lightly stipple then gently buff) and it honestly looks almost airbrushed. I set it with MAC Prep and Prime Powder. I don't have great skin, but with these products I could fool anyone! It is hard to find a good foundation and I love this one. I have used it every day for the past month or so and I still love it just as much as the day I bought it. I no longer have the urge to try other foundations, and that is revolutionary for me. I am actually completely satisfied with the coverage, finish, lasting power, and quality of this foundation. Yay for a good MAC foundation! (More B2M!)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by kazooty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this foundation after seeing many positive reviews of it both on MUA and Youtube. It was the first foundation I ever got a sample of before buying (didn't know it was possible up until then!) and what made the biggest good impression on me was just how long that sample lasted. One teeny tiny sample jar of Studio Sculpt was enough foundation for me for three weeks! I didn't use it every single day, but when I did I went full coverage so this feature of it really impressed me.

Studio Sculpt foundation is not for those who want sheer coverage; it works best when full coverage. Only a little is needed for that, as it is very pigmented, covering up my redness and acne scars almost totally. It's a gel-like consistency, so I don't use a stippling brush, just a traditional foundation brush, but it's very easy to blend and apply-it'll only streak if you want it to! I love that it makes my skin look great without looking heavy at all. It doesn't settle into or highlight my pores or dry skin (don't have fine lines so I don't know about those.)

This foundation dries to a matte, quite powdery finish. I never have to use a primer with it (Smashbox PF made no difference to lasting time) but I akways set it with powder to stop it feeling 'tacky'. And then it lasts all day! Today I've been wearing it since the morning (it's now 9 o'clock pm) and it's still going pretty strong. For this reason, I always choose it as my foundation when I'm going out at night, because I feel like it doesn't let my face get shiny, or wear off fast (it only transfers ever so slightly) and it's pretty much indestructible!

You get a lot of product for your money; my tube of it is not even half-empty and I've had it for a few months! For only around €25 this is a very good deal in my opinion.

Packaging is functional like all MAC foundations, nothing to write home about. Also I wouldn't recommend it if you want a 'glowy' foundation, because of its matte finish.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

As i wrote in a previous review, i tend to have a love-hate relationship with Mac stuff, especially foundations. My first experience with a Mac foundation was a disaster, yet i figured i could give it another try at another Mac counter, hopefully staffed with nicer and more professional makeup artists.

The makeup artist (who had a terrible skin, and said she had used a Mineralized Skin Finish brrrr terrible terrible looking!!! settled in her pores and fine wrinkles and all that glitter, just not something i am going to try, ever) told me this is more or less the highest coverage foundation from Mac and that it doesn't dry out the skin, get dry on the skin and settle in the fine lines, and that it lasts more or less all day even without Fix plus or a primer. of course she mentioned it works best with the prep+prime but after going through many reviews and testing many many primers, i decided to purchase the Laura Mercier oil-free foundation primer (review coming up soon).

Aaaanyways. I basically approached the lady at the Mac counter because i wanted a good foundation, impeccable coverage (or what's humanly possible), something that wouldn't make my skin oily or look too heavy (Estee Lauder Double wear, i'm looking right at you) or would cost an arm and a leg (Chanel Mat/Vita Lumiere, right at ya). I have been aware of this foundation's capacities for a while, reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, so on and so forth.

I basically don't understand the rave about this foundation. It has almost no coverage compared to what i expected or other foundations, though it has a very nice finish. The makeup artist finally matched my skin and I am NW30 or NW35, depending on fake-bake or naturally tanned skin. She recommended NW30 under the eyes and for winter, and NW35 for tanned skin. I really think she did a great job (i used to think i was NC, lol), buuuut....it's not like i am ever going to use this match. I didn't purchase the foundation though i wore it for a couple of days after having been given a sample.

So getting back at the foundation. I simply can't believe that's the best coverage Mac can come up with, it just doesn't feel like enough for me. On the brighter side, i really like the finish, as one of the previous reviews mentioned, very powdery, doesn't dry out the skin, doesn't look unnatural or oily at all. Thumbs up for this but i rated the foundation low compared to other reviewers because it doesn't live up to its purpose- to cover spots, blemishes, etc. Sigh.

My skin is weird, seriously. I have large pores around the nose, rather oily (but not very) T-zone, slight redness around the nose and purple-ish dark circles. My biggest problem comes from the pore area, whatever foundation i use will eventually settle in and make my skin look like orange peel, after more or less hours, depending on the products i use, and the undereye area- i have 'grainy' skin in that area, i don't know if this makes sense but i have small 'grains' between the undereye area and the cheek area. it's a headache trying to find a good concealer, something creamy that wouldn't dry my skin yet powerful enough to cover, while not settling in the fine lines and lasting as much as possible (preferable more than 3 hours, the maximum a concealer has ever stayed on without powder on top. i am tired of powdering my circles, i am afraid it is going to cause early wrinkles so thanks but no thanks, i'm giving up this bad habit).

Foundation talk again :). This stuff didn't settle in the pores, smoothed that area pretty impressively, evened out my undereye circles with no dryness or settling in whatsoever.

Still, i have to repeat myself. If this product gave more coverage it would seriously be HG material even for the eternally dissatisfied foundation user that i am. It has a very very impressive finish, it is creamy, doesn't dry out fast, it has a consistency similar to that of a mousse (very light at touching, blends in very fast), everything i ever wanted. But it doesn't give the coverage it says it does and for me this is a total no-no.

I had a small pink blemish from a former pimple on the chin that it failed to cover. It covered the redness pretty well and it lasted for about 5 hours without powder on top, which to me is impressive. It also did a good job at evening out my circles though it didn't cover them 100%.

However, i have to choose between this one and the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation that i have read about and tried and it is simply amazing...without the cost (the equivalent of 58 USD or 43 euros). I am still considering this because i purchased the primer and i'd rather use all my foundations before purchasing a new one.

So yeah, i am 99% i am going to purchase that one though being almost double priced than the Studio Sculpt.

Hope my review helped.
Happy shopping everyone!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by carolcn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using the same tube for almost a year now and still have a little more to go. Given that this lasts so long, it is a good value for the price. I like the tube packaging as it's very hygenic and the make up in the tube isn't constantly exposed to air or germs as I use it. Lately I am finding that it doesn't quite last all day, but I suspect that is due to using it over a heavier moisturizer in the winter. I like this much better than the Studio Fix foundation as it's much more natural and less made up looking on me. The finish is quite nice, not overly matte, but simply smooth and 'my skin but better'.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by VnOT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first MAC foundation. I have it in NC35 which if applied by itself makes my skin look really light. But I pair it with the MAC powder and it really brings back a healthy glow. I like the coverage that it provides. I used to have really bad skin but I'm so happy that while this foundation isn't super heavy, it does really well at covering old scars, etc without looking caked on. I have to make certain I wash my face completely after I wear this every night or else I will have clogged pores but I'm not complaining. Daily facial cleansing is a must anyway and I wouldn't blame bad skin on the foundation if I didn't wash my face well enough. My skin is super clear now except for the random spot cropping up every now and then. But, I digress. I really like this foundation. I like the packaging, I just squeeze a really small amount onto my hand and use my E.L.F. Studio powder brush to put it on and it makes my skin look pretty flawless! It's going to last me a long time!