September 17, 2014 | 1735 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by kazooty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this foundation after seeing many positive reviews of it both on MUA and Youtube. It was the first foundation I ever got a sample of before buying (didn't know it was possible up until then!) and what made the biggest good impression on me was just how long that sample lasted. One teeny tiny sample jar of Studio Sculpt was enough foundation for me for three weeks! I didn't use it every single day, but when I did I went full coverage so this feature of it really impressed me.

Studio Sculpt foundation is not for those who want sheer coverage; it works best when full coverage. Only a little is needed for that, as it is very pigmented, covering up my redness and acne scars almost totally. It's a gel-like consistency, so I don't use a stippling brush, just a traditional foundation brush, but it's very easy to blend and apply-it'll only streak if you want it to! I love that it makes my skin look great without looking heavy at all. It doesn't settle into or highlight my pores or dry skin (don't have fine lines so I don't know about those.)

This foundation dries to a matte, quite powdery finish. I never have to use a primer with it (Smashbox PF made no difference to lasting time) but I akways set it with powder to stop it feeling 'tacky'. And then it lasts all day! Today I've been wearing it since the morning (it's now 9 o'clock pm) and it's still going pretty strong. For this reason, I always choose it as my foundation when I'm going out at night, because I feel like it doesn't let my face get shiny, or wear off fast (it only transfers ever so slightly) and it's pretty much indestructible!

You get a lot of product for your money; my tube of it is not even half-empty and I've had it for a few months! For only around €25 this is a very good deal in my opinion.

Packaging is functional like all MAC foundations, nothing to write home about. Also I wouldn't recommend it if you want a 'glowy' foundation, because of its matte finish.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

As i wrote in a previous review, i tend to have a love-hate relationship with Mac stuff, especially foundations. My first experience with a Mac foundation was a disaster, yet i figured i could give it another try at another Mac counter, hopefully staffed with nicer and more professional makeup artists.

The makeup artist (who had a terrible skin, and said she had used a Mineralized Skin Finish brrrr terrible terrible looking!!! settled in her pores and fine wrinkles and all that glitter, just not something i am going to try, ever) told me this is more or less the highest coverage foundation from Mac and that it doesn't dry out the skin, get dry on the skin and settle in the fine lines, and that it lasts more or less all day even without Fix plus or a primer. of course she mentioned it works best with the prep+prime but after going through many reviews and testing many many primers, i decided to purchase the Laura Mercier oil-free foundation primer (review coming up soon).

Aaaanyways. I basically approached the lady at the Mac counter because i wanted a good foundation, impeccable coverage (or what's humanly possible), something that wouldn't make my skin oily or look too heavy (Estee Lauder Double wear, i'm looking right at you) or would cost an arm and a leg (Chanel Mat/Vita Lumiere, right at ya). I have been aware of this foundation's capacities for a while, reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, so on and so forth.

I basically don't understand the rave about this foundation. It has almost no coverage compared to what i expected or other foundations, though it has a very nice finish. The makeup artist finally matched my skin and I am NW30 or NW35, depending on fake-bake or naturally tanned skin. She recommended NW30 under the eyes and for winter, and NW35 for tanned skin. I really think she did a great job (i used to think i was NC, lol), buuuut....it's not like i am ever going to use this match. I didn't purchase the foundation though i wore it for a couple of days after having been given a sample.

So getting back at the foundation. I simply can't believe that's the best coverage Mac can come up with, it just doesn't feel like enough for me. On the brighter side, i really like the finish, as one of the previous reviews mentioned, very powdery, doesn't dry out the skin, doesn't look unnatural or oily at all. Thumbs up for this but i rated the foundation low compared to other reviewers because it doesn't live up to its purpose- to cover spots, blemishes, etc. Sigh.

My skin is weird, seriously. I have large pores around the nose, rather oily (but not very) T-zone, slight redness around the nose and purple-ish dark circles. My biggest problem comes from the pore area, whatever foundation i use will eventually settle in and make my skin look like orange peel, after more or less hours, depending on the products i use, and the undereye area- i have 'grainy' skin in that area, i don't know if this makes sense but i have small 'grains' between the undereye area and the cheek area. it's a headache trying to find a good concealer, something creamy that wouldn't dry my skin yet powerful enough to cover, while not settling in the fine lines and lasting as much as possible (preferable more than 3 hours, the maximum a concealer has ever stayed on without powder on top. i am tired of powdering my circles, i am afraid it is going to cause early wrinkles so thanks but no thanks, i'm giving up this bad habit).

Foundation talk again :). This stuff didn't settle in the pores, smoothed that area pretty impressively, evened out my undereye circles with no dryness or settling in whatsoever.

Still, i have to repeat myself. If this product gave more coverage it would seriously be HG material even for the eternally dissatisfied foundation user that i am. It has a very very impressive finish, it is creamy, doesn't dry out fast, it has a consistency similar to that of a mousse (very light at touching, blends in very fast), everything i ever wanted. But it doesn't give the coverage it says it does and for me this is a total no-no.

I had a small pink blemish from a former pimple on the chin that it failed to cover. It covered the redness pretty well and it lasted for about 5 hours without powder on top, which to me is impressive. It also did a good job at evening out my circles though it didn't cover them 100%.

However, i have to choose between this one and the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation that i have read about and tried and it is simply amazing...without the cost (the equivalent of 58 USD or 43 euros). I am still considering this because i purchased the primer and i'd rather use all my foundations before purchasing a new one.

So yeah, i am 99% i am going to purchase that one though being almost double priced than the Studio Sculpt.

Hope my review helped.
Happy shopping everyone!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by carolcn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using the same tube for almost a year now and still have a little more to go. Given that this lasts so long, it is a good value for the price. I like the tube packaging as it's very hygenic and the make up in the tube isn't constantly exposed to air or germs as I use it. Lately I am finding that it doesn't quite last all day, but I suspect that is due to using it over a heavier moisturizer in the winter. I like this much better than the Studio Fix foundation as it's much more natural and less made up looking on me. The finish is quite nice, not overly matte, but simply smooth and 'my skin but better'.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by VnOT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first MAC foundation. I have it in NC35 which if applied by itself makes my skin look really light. But I pair it with the MAC powder and it really brings back a healthy glow. I like the coverage that it provides. I used to have really bad skin but I'm so happy that while this foundation isn't super heavy, it does really well at covering old scars, etc without looking caked on. I have to make certain I wash my face completely after I wear this every night or else I will have clogged pores but I'm not complaining. Daily facial cleansing is a must anyway and I wouldn't blame bad skin on the foundation if I didn't wash my face well enough. My skin is super clear now except for the random spot cropping up every now and then. But, I digress. I really like this foundation. I like the packaging, I just squeeze a really small amount onto my hand and use my E.L.F. Studio powder brush to put it on and it makes my skin look pretty flawless! It's going to last me a long time!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by dagwich24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is not the best for me.It rubs off onto everything,looks shiny if no powder is used,can look very mask like even with only a little on.I have combo. skin and I feel like there is an oil slick on my face.It feels heavy and clown like.I think this works great .as a concealer but not as an overall foundation,it tends to be heavy even when applied with a "light" hand.It is def. not good for summer, it will sweat off and drip withing seconds , if it is humid watch your whole face start dripping and swearing. I used Studio Fix to set it, a light dusting, this just made me look cakey and unnatural, I actually looked aged.

I found a mineral small makeup company that is divine and very affordable. www.Silknaturals.com...This is not waterproof and can sweat off but it you refresh with a light dusting of finishing powder you still look great.This in my opinion is better than Mac's Studio Fix. It looks like your own natural skin but 100x better.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by kkpeach77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using mac studio fix fluid for years but my skin is quite dry, especially in the winter, so i was told i should give studio sculpt a try. Its wonderful. Its like a creme foundation but in a squeeze tube, it glides on perfectly smooth and the nice creamy texture makes my skin look smooth and even. A little does go a long way and because of the texture, you can buff it out so it covers a lot of area evenly. it's nice with a sponge but I have been using my 109 brush. The 187 brush works well too but i like a more densely packed brush to buff it out more. This formula might run a little light, I wear NC15 in the studio fix fluid so i bought the same shade with the sculpt and it's a tad light, but not enough to make a difference. I would suggest getting matched again if you are switching to this from another mac foundation. I would definitely recommend this to someone with dry skin, but its not greasy at all so most people should be able to wear this beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 4:17:00 PM More reviews by SareenaS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great foundation, a little goes a long way! I usually wear Studio Fix during the week but it tends to fade off by the end of the day so I wanted something that will last. This is perfect! I put a small amount of NC40 on my concealer brush and use it all over my face. It provides flawless coverage and lasts all day long! It has more of a heavy coverage I find so if you have oily or acne prone skin, you may not like this product. Since I dont need to use alot, I'm sure this will last me forever! Well worth the price!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2010 4:20:00 AM More reviews by doris98

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 2:22:00 PM More reviews by CJCJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I raved about this just recently on the makeup board, lol. I have so many foundations but they never really seemed to match all that well. I'm extrememly fair (almost pure white) with pink in my face but yellow in my neck. Plus, despite using sunscreen 24/7, my face looks darker than my neck when using foundation. Many products turn on me. So, I found myself in the MAC free-standing store and saw an SA with amazingly pale skin. She stood out being so pale. I walked over to her and said "we are the same shade. Please please tell me what you are wearing". She said "better yet, I'll put on you what I'm wearing" and she did. I watched as, magically, my face began to match my neck in paleness and color. Long story short, she pulled shades I would not have and produced the perfect look. NC15 in this foundation give me the yellow to cut my pinkness and match my neck AND is light enough to work for me. It's creamy and spreads easily ( I use a talkon foundation brush ) BUT BUT BUT....... the type of MOISTURIZER I use makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. The best one, so far, is Laura Mercier Flawless Skin facial moisturizer under P&P 50. Perfection.

I have dry skin, virtually no lines. I love this product. BTW, OVER it I use a light dusting of NW5 loose powder and my concealer is NW20. (I would have thought LIGHTER concealer but NO, this one is perfect in shade. WHo knew?!) The foundation gives great coverage without looking masky or having to use a lot of it. Bravo MAC.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by malinen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have an love-hate relationship with this foundation. It's love when I put it on and when I'm wearing it, but it clogs my pores. I still use it every now and then when I need a foundation that I know will last long and that will look good doing it, but I can't stand the clogs that I get from wearing it.

My skin is a golden that varies from NC15 to NC20 depending on the season. In the summer, I wear the NC20 and it's almost a perfect match. The NC15 is a great match for my winter skin, but I wish that it had a tiny bit more yellow to it. It's still a "yellow" shade, but it's more neutral than the NC20. For colour refference, I wear the following colours in the winter: Lauress Subtle Gold, Lily Lolo Warm Peach and EDM Golden Fair. In the summer: Lauress Soft Gold, EDM Golden Fawn and MAC C1.

I've tried applying it with my fingers, with my 109, with my regular foundation brush and with my 188. Even thou I find that it works with them all, I prefer the 188, since it makes it look almost airbrushed. The only thing to keep in mind is that it might look a bit cakey at first, but after maybe half an hour the foundation has blended perfectly into my skin and after a few hour I look like I'm glowing.