MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 4/16/2010 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I made the mistake and bought this one even though I have a combination skin (the mua recommended it ). It was very heavy, it looked cakey and made the skin oily on my T-zone. Moreover, after 2-3 hours was starting to be visible in the edges of my nose and my chin. Horrible!

on 4/14/2010 11:47:00 PM

The first problem I had with this was finding a good match. The NW shades are far too cool and almost look pink in the tube, and the NC shades are noticeably orange.
I'm in the C3/NC25/NW20 range and could not find a color to match, so I tried blending NC20 and NW25. This provided a decent match, but I could not stand the feeling of the foundation on my face. It was like being smothered with a wet blanket! I also thought it looked heavy and obvious. I guess the trade off is that it really does cover nearly everything.
On the plus side, it does stay true to shade and is quite long wearing.

on 4/14/2010 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

i have been using this for 2 days now and I already noticed some white heads on my nose and forehead. It makes your skin look FLAWLESS though. I really hope it dosent break me out more. I WANT this to work. I have REALLY uneven skin tone and this works great. I got compliments on it already and ive been at work for about 2 hours.

on 4/13/2010 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I love love love this MAC foundation. I have extremely dry skin, even in summer. I had previously tried the Studio liquid and honestly wasn't impressed. It was too cakey, thick, and the worst color ever, even though that was supposedly my match. After I gave Studio liquid away to a friend, I went back to my old faithful foundation, Clinique's Super Moisture liquid and the Perfectly Real powder as a setting powder. I thought I loved them, and that was as good as it was going to get. I decided to try something new, and went back to MAC again. After talking to the consultant, she thought that the Studio Sculpt would be perfect. She matched my new color perfectly - now a NC20, as opposed to the NW15 I had been previously matched with. Anyways, its much different than other liquid foundations, its much more ... mousse-y? I'm not really sure how to describe it. Its almost like whipped, I guess. You really only need a pea sized amount for your whole face. It works ok with the MAC Prep & Prime, but I think it looks better after using it with my Smashbox color correcting (the green one) primer. I've tried lots of different ways to apply it best, and I've found that the 190 brush isn't really the best, the foundation seems to just sit on the skin and never really looks right. The stippling brush is the best I have found personally, besides your fingers. It kind of takes a while for it to work it, but it's definitely worth the extra 2 minutes. It seems like it has to be used with a primer though, and also set, otherwise it looks kind of wet - probably oily skinned people's worst nightmare. It doesn't really bother me though, I just use the Smashbox Halo over it. Using both the Studio Sculpt and the Halo makes my makeup last all day and on the nights I'm too lazy to wipe off my makeup, it's still there in the morning too. The only negative I can even think of, which its a very small complaint, is the packaging. I know alot of you really like the fact that its in a tube, but I personally hate foundations like that. Its perfectly fine, until you get to the last little bit and it seems like the only way to use the rest of it is to cut open the container itself. Annoying!
Anyways, its an amazing foundation - it's my all time favorite and I don't think I'll ever switch again!

on 4/12/2010 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have a very tan/olive-golden complexion and have always had trouble with MAC foundations in the past as they always came out orange on me. I used to be NC42 (apparently) and hated the shade, but this time I got matched to NW35 - which is pretty much perfect. This confuses me as NW was, as far as I know, for shades with pink tones. However I have deduced that NC are simply too orange and I guess TOO warm on me, and I suggest that those who found the foundation too orange to really try the other side. The MA seemed to understand my skintone in a flash and knew what products would and would not work for me.

I don't know what's in this product, but this was my first venture back into MAC foundations for YEARS because I swore I hated them so much.... anyway I reluctantly and desperately ran to the MAC store on the night of my 21st birthday party in a panic over my crazy hormone wrecked skin. I was intent on buying the Studio Fix powder foundation but the MA kept advising me against it. I kept telling her I had oily skin but she told me I didn't.... THEN she took me to the mirrors there and showed me my face.. I saw such an horrible sight! From the facial I had previously, my skin - rather than being spotty or oily in the slightest - now had developed huge dry SCALY patches of skin all along my chin/jaw which I had been completely unaware of all day, I dont know when/how that came about. I was totally embarassed once I realised I had walked into this store looking like that. In the shock of this I willingly took in every recommendation the MA gave me, one of them being that my olive skin requires an NW foundation (still dont understand this, but it works!) and the second - that I should use this STUDIO SCULPT *THING* which I never read the reviews on here for, so was completely unsure of what I was getting into!

ANYWAY to the point, its been a few days since and Ive worn this everyday and I have grown to love it so so so SO MUCH. I dont know why this bland looking foundation seems to work so well on my *combination* skin. My oily t-zone always seems matte, not overly matte... just entirely normal under this, while my cheeks and jaw and everywhere else seem completely hydrated. I havent changed my skincare, only this. At work I actually had someone approach me and ask "Who DID your face?" and I was like huh? I work at Boots so she must have assumed one of the Chanel or Lancome beauty consultants did a makeover for me or something before my shift lol... I was slightly offended at the thought that people think my makeup is usually a crap job but yet flattered that she thought I looked that great.

I dont know what the hell is in this stuff, or why it works for me so well, but all I can say is - a foundation has never looked so natural, so radiant and so flawless on me. I thought MUFE HD was my HG but I've already given that away! I dont know what the secret in this is or why there are so many negative reviews, but what I do know is this is PERFECT for my combo skin, it has great staying power (zero touch ups required!) and I suggest anyone reading this to really give Studio Sculpt a try if you get a chance. Ive finally been converted back to MAC foundations.

Onto the foundation itself, I bought it in conjunction with the Select Cover Up concealer (NW35) and also the new Prep+Prime Brightening Serum, Prep+Prime SPF50 primer and Prep+Prime Finishing Powder. At first, the coverage did wear off a little but then I started applying it differently, using my fingers instead and patting extra coverage where needed. It feels so soft and smooth on my skin. After adding blusher etc I used the Prep+Prime Finishing Powder lightly straight after to set all my make up. THEN - this is key - 15 mins later, before I left the house I reapplied another round of powder - since then my foundation seems to stay put all day and I dont need to touch up. There wasnt even the slightest hint of shine on my nose after 5hrs. Without powder, it has an unusual consistency which leaves a soft/dewy feel on the skin which is nice for dry skintypes, but for me, my skin needs some powder. Also, this foundation always looks natural on me! It never looks cakey or blotchy and it did not ball up or wear off in patches. I know a lady who works at a middle range make up department who swears by Estee Lauder DoubleWear and I don't want to be mean but her make up always looks really cakey! Like layered on or something, and EL always looked maskey on me too, so having a foundation that looks and feels natural on the skin is so important to me and is why I love this so much more. Also liked how you can work this in many ways, from sheerest tinted moisturiser coverage, to full flawless skin coverage. **It is ALL in the application**. You just need to play around with it more. And also, I would not dream of using it with another primer, or even another finishing powder, I think this combination of MAC products works best for me (no Im not affiliated with MAC!). I could skip the serum (which I have no opinion on atm), but the primer and powder are awesome for a long lasting flawless look!

UPDATE:
Been using Lancome's Oil Cleanser (this foundation is supposed to be waterproof!) and follow up with my usual La Roche Posay foaming gel cleanser and my skin - so far - has been spot free. But I'm seriously acne prone (diet/hormone related) and usually give products at least 14 days of use before I see if they break me out, so I will update if that does indeed happen, otherwise assume the best!

Sorry for the long review!

UPDATE: Its so sad to say this :-( but I've started breaking out. Little sore whiteheads in random places of my face, couple on forehead/cheeks/etc - not used it as my acne is usually only on my jaw/chin area. Can't say 100% it was this, could have been the primer or powder, or the fact I came off BC, who knows.. you never know if this will work for you until you try it. Going back to MUFE :-(

on 4/12/2010 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Everything about this product made me want to love it, but I couldn't. I thought I would get this instead of studio fix fluid to prevent my sensative skin from breaking out. While using this product I had white acne like bumps on my skin [ I'm not saying it was studio sculpt but... ]

This on normal skin doesn't really apply well. I feel it would much better if you had much dryer skin since the product is a gel based.

This product wasn't for me but it may be for you give it a try because you can always return it to mac for some studio fix fluid and the pump.

on 4/11/2010 7:39:00 PM

very good coverage, seems to from 8am - 4pm until i need to retouch up with some powder, my face is slightly oily in the tzone area, so sometimes i notice it running a little on these areas, but most of the time it stays matt :0) also have selected a perfect match to my skin tone which is nc20

on 4/11/2010 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The foundation has some good qualities, but also some not so good qualities for me. The color match was good- I think I am normally NC 20 in MAC, but picked the NC 25 this time as NC 20 seemed a smidge too light. The coverage was just what I need- medium- I have some tone unevenness and this did the job of evening everything out. I had tried using a foundation brush and a Beauty Blender and my favorite was of getting the foundation was definitely the BB. This gives a natural finish- not matte, but not dewy either. Where my rub with this product is, is the texture. The gel base is very neat, however it never felt like it was "set" even though I would set it with either my Prep 'n' Prime Finishing Powder or MSF Natural in Medium Plus. It still felt almost wet. I am sure it's great for hydrating your skin, but I don't want to notice that my foundation is even there really... After about 4-6 hrs of wear, it would start to settle in my fine lines too. I won't be repurchasing.

on 4/8/2010 5:28:00 AM

I love this product!
I have a
- fair skin (nw15)
- combination skin
at first I thought it would make me break out, cause gelbase foundations are normally for people with dry skin, well apparently not. I love this to death, it makes my skin look so pretty and I don't need concealer anymore.

I LOVE IT <3

on 4/6/2010 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have fair skin but terribly redness that no dermatologist has been able to treat, so I really need a foundation that minimizes redness w/out the need to pancake it on. I had been using Bare Minerals for years but as I reached my 30's, my skin started changing and it was no longer working. I visited the MAC counter and this product was suggested. Was I ever pleased! I barely notice it is on and it gives me great coverage. I can go very light with coverage for day to day wear or a little heavier for going out and it still looks and feels great. I know many people swear by the brush and I did purchase a MAC brush to go with it, however, after a few months I found I actually prefer a sponge. YMMV.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv