MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

I love this foundation!!! Initially I picked it up as a sample, tried it for a week, left it and then went back to using it. It has the most beautiful dewy finish. It will make your face look amazing in daylight and at night. This product made me switch from powder foundation to liquid, which I haven't used in 15 years. That's how much I love this stuff.

The results are going to vary for everyone, but a wide range of colors (NC30-NC40) seem to work quite well on me, applying with a 109 or 187 brush, and without primer since I have combo skin. The tube it comes in is great and once you get over the gel consistency (use it sparingly), it can be built up from a light to heavy coverage. It gives such a beautiful airbrushed finish, and I don't need to use concealer with this.

Of all of MAC's foundations (tried all of them), this one is the BEST!!! Select comes in a good second, Face & Body was weird, and Mineralize was blah. BUT this is HG. Better than NARS, Revlon and L'Oreal.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Love the tube it comes in. It has a unique artsy look to it. Love the coverage it gives. Love the natural dewyness it gives my skin. This lasts around 4 hours then I have to reapply, which i don't mind doing. I'd say most foundations need a little reapplying. Usually I only need to reapply once a day. Some foundations need more than that. To me this is a plus.

This does not last very well in heat. It melts off my face in no time. I also dont like that I can't really touch my face with this on. If i go to scratch or do any kind of touch it comes right off. The formula is a bit too heavy/thick for the summer. This is the perfect foundation for fall and winter. The heaviness and thickness of this doesn't bother me during colder times. And the last complaint I have for this foundation is the colors. I wear this in NW 15 and it's too dark for me. I'm super pale. not the palest person out there but still pretty pale. I wish they made a color that is lighter. but now that it's summer I'll darken up a bit and this shade usually fits me good when I'm a bit tanner.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I just have samples of this, but so far I am very satisfied. I use a brush, and am just looking for a 'my skin but better' effect. Only a little is needed and it dries to a sheer matte finish. It seems very similar to Dior Icone. If you have normal skin, you will probably like this. MAC NW20 is a good shade for those with a cool-based skin tone.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Pros
Really lovely coverage, makes skin look flawless. Fantastic for dry skin (especially in winter) as it gives a nice dewy effect on the skin.

Cons
Quite a thick consistency - too thick for my liking. Not related to the product itself but when I went to get colour matched the assistant gave me a shade too dark and it took me a while to actually realise this (I was probably in denial!) Worst of all it makes me breakout a silly amount

At first I hated it -- but that was because I was applying it totally wrong. I basically needed a pea sized amount for my whole face, and I applied with my fingers. I had been applying it with a 187 and it was difficult to blend due to the thick gel consistency. I apply it with my fingers and blend out with a coastal scents buffer brush and it gives me a full coverage that lasts all day.

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Other

When I first bought this product I loved it. I thought it gave the perect coverage, just enough to hide imperfections, but not too much so that you look cakey. However I am a dietitian in a hospital and so have no time to reapply makeup throughout the day. Once I finished work I was finding my foundation had 'slipped' and that my skin was super oily. I tried many primers and powders to keep it set, but it seems my combination skin was too much for this to handle.

hmm, i was kinda skeptical with this product.. the tube looks kinda cheap, and the whole idea with the gel based formula freaked me out a little. :) allthough i like this product, you can build up the coverage if u want to, and the smell isen't that bad, i mean it smells a LITTLE, but that's okay. it gave me some ''bumps'' on my skin, and i wasen't very pleased with that.. but the bumps disappered after a few days, and they never returned, so that's obviously great :)

- i woulden't buy this product again, just because i'm a girl who loves tryin' out new product's , buut, if u r someone who keeps using their foundation, then this is a really good one ;) good job MAC ;b

- oh and the last thing. i have combined skin, (t-zone oily, cheeks normal)

have a great day, and i hope this helped u :) <3

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

great colour match but breaks me out like crazy, a shame because i really wanted to like it

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

So, this is my first ever MAC foundation. I had heard from a number of sources that this gel-based foundation was good for oily to combo skin. I have normal to combo skin, with some areas that get oily during the day in my T-zone, namely my forehead and chin and the inner parts of my cheeks around my nose. So, through a good connection at MAC, I decided to purchase this foundation at 40% off, so I paid around $21 CAN for it. A great price for what this foundation normally retails at (about $35, I think).

Unfortunately, when I went to get colour-matched at the booth, the MA there told me I was an NW20. This is not so; I do not have warm-toned skin. So, not knowing what is what, never having bought from MAC for foundation before, I take it home and it looks horrendously orange on me. Why she recommended it, I don't know, but I thought I'd share my poor customer service experience with you. If you think a certain shade will match you, chances are, it will! You know your skin best in most cases (I originally thought I was an NC20, and I was right!).

So, after returning my first purchase (I couldn't get past the colour enough to really review the foundation itself), and using my real match for a few weeks, I can safely give my review on it now.

WHAT I EXPECTED: I expected a lightweight foundation with light to medium coverage, that could stand up to oil reasonably well before becoming shiny.

PACKAGING: The packaging is convenient and simple, coming in a clear squeeze tube. You have to be careful when squeezing it though, simply because when the product is pretty full (as mine is, being only a few weeks old), it will squirt out way too much. Less is definitely more with this product, so that's not so good. I love the fact that it's not in a glass bottle though, easy to throw in a purse or a bag if you want to have it on the go.

COVERAGE: The coverage is pretty nice on me, very buildable. I would say that you could probably build this up to full coverage if you wanted to, but it's mostly meant for light to medium, and might look cakey if you try to build it up too much. I'm 18, so not like I need a ton of coverage anyway, but for an older woman or someone with a lot of facial imperfections (don't we all ;) ), you might want more.

DURABILITY: This foundation is decent when it comes to oil control. It does get shiny on me after a few hours, but I never expected it to be more than that because this is not an ultra-matte foundation. It's usually about 3 hours until I have to blot, which is fine for me, though those with very oily skin will not be pleased, most likely. This does tend to melt a little bit in extreme heat (when it feels like 30 degrees out). It stays on very well otherwise, it is always still there at the end of the day for the most part.

LOOK & FEEL: The finish on this, as I said, is not ultra-matte. This is good for me since I don't have oily skin. It dries to a semi-matte, slightly dewy finish, a sort of happy medium between the two, which I like. It feels quite silky, it sinks into the skin well, if you give it a minute or two to set before applying powder. It does not feel heavy on me at all, because I apply it quite sparingly.

APPLICATION: I have used my fingers, a foundation brush, and a sponge with this foundation. The brush was a bit streaky, and though my fingers were fine, they made the blending a little uneven. A sponge seems to work best with this formula. The key to this foundation is to be very sparing with it - dabbing it on with a makeup sponge is the best application for me, and the way to make sure I don't overapply, because then it goes oily and greasy. It is quite a thick foundation due to it being gel-based, and can be mask-like if you really overdo it.

COLOUR SELECTION: It's MAC, who are famous for having a wide range of colours - you can't really go wrong here (unless the MA gives you the wrong colour...not mentioning anyone here...). You're sure to find something that's at least acceptable and close enough that it's not extremely noticeable.

WHO WOULD LIKE THIS: People with normal, dry or combo skin who want light to medium coverage, with enough moisture for dry skin and enough oil control for combo skin.

WHO WOULD NOT LIKE THIS: People with oily to very oily skin, the oil control will not be enough for you. People who want full coverage without the cakey finish, this is not for you. People who want very thin coverage, also not for you, this foundation can be very thick and opaque, and has a bit of a learning curve when it comes to application because of this.

I really like the look and feel of this foundation, overall. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that may be better, but I love this enough that I will at least use until it's gone, before continuing my search.

BOTTOM LINE: Less is DEFINITELY more with this foundation. If you need more, look elsewhere.

Pros:
- You can get medium to heavy coverage with a very small amount of product, especially if you use a primer and "pat" it on. After setting with powder, it doesn't feel caked on
- The packaging is hygienic and it's easy to control how much product you get
- It mixes well with moisturiser (this is is how I usually use it since I have dry skin) and still gives light to medium coverage
- It has a nice dewy finish, and with some fine powder over the top really does look flawless and 'airbrushed' without feeling heavy on the skin

Cons:
- I really dislike the smell
- If I don't use it with moisturiser it cakes/flakes very visibly
- Despite giving heavy coverage over most of my face it doesn't do much for the dark circles under my eyes
- Couldn't get a perfect colour match

I'll probably buy it again if I can't find a better colour match elsewhere...

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Anthonia

Top Rated MAC Products