July 30, 2014 | 2014 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2006 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Eryn2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I remember getting this for Christmas as a teenager, and it seemed like the world of adulthood was just a little bit closer when I sniffed it on my wrist. I cannot isolate specific notes--just marvellously blended perfection. Absolutely not my personality now, but I love to smell it on anyone else.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2006 3:25:00 AM More reviews by All_Work_No_Play

Got myself to buy one, since I wanted a classic sophisticated piece of history in my collection. I smelled it on some more mature women (I'm 28 myself) and I thought it brings out style and personality, however on me it is too heavy and I feel like I'm "not in my skin".

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2006 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Tessiepooh

This is another one of those "love it in the bottle, hate it on me" perfumes. Just didn't work with my body chemistry. Too bad. I really wanted it to work for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2006 3:24:00 PM More reviews by rhiannon_chiana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what to do about this fragrance. I guess I'm neutral, but secretly I harbor a closeted love for it. When I first tried it on, there were some lovely notes coming through an unpleasant haze of something resembling a stainless steel pan soaking in dishwater: metallic, dirty-wet; not chemical-smelling like a Clinique fragrance, but just not quite right. But that wore off and left just the lovely notes. The problem was, once I could smell the pleasant notes, I found the fragrance neither sexy nor deceptively innocent, just nice. While it is pretty and feminine, I couldn't help wondering how the most desirable woman in history, Marilyn Monroe, could be knockout sexy while smelling kind of like someone's grandma. Have tastes changed that much? When the mature women who still wear this now were once young, was this considered sexy, coy, demure? So I enjoyed the scent, but I kind of thought it wasn't terribly exciting or anything. But then after wearing it for a couple more hours, I started really liking it. Gradually it wore off, and I was smelling magazine inserts and I found myself saying, it's OK, but here's how it's not No. 5. What? So, I'll just have to try this again another day and make a second review, because this fragrance is some kind of enigma. How does my brain tell me it's a "mature" scent that is pretty but not what I am looking for, while my nose is meanwhile becoming secretly addicted to it?

Incidentally, I just wanted to comment on two previous reviews- one gal found it comical that people said you have to have just the right chemistry to wear this, but why is that so funny? It's common knowledge that many fragrances smell wonderful on some and terrible on others. Why should Chanel No. 5, which is based on aldehydes, substances known to be fickle from person to person, be any different? Second, I get that the gal who called this a chypre meant well, and the one who said it's not a floral assumed that an aldehyde blend cannot be considered a floral, but this fragrance is classified in various places, by fragrance experts, as an an aldehydic floral, an aldehydic soft floral, and a Soft Floral Classical Bouquet. So no one is going to convince me that this can't be called a floral. As for the chypre thing, if someone can quote an expert who says it's a chypre, I guess I would believe it, but everything I have read suggets that a chypre is a mossy woods, often unisex, and that a women's chypre could easily pass for a modern men's scent. I don't think anybody with a sense of smell would mistake No. 5 for a men's fragrance in the modern sense, ergo, I don't get how it could be a chypre. If Coco Chanel *really* didn't intend this perfume to be flowery, then the fact that fragrance experts classify it as a soft floral would mean that she failed to have it be the way she intended, and I certainly don't think that is the case. I think she used aldehydes so that instead of smelling like flowers, the fragrance would be an impression of florals that results in a woman smelling like a woman- just like the legends say. As one reviewer explained it, individual notes aren't as prominent in No. 5 as an overall scent experience. Unfortunately, as pretty as this scent is, it might feel dated and no longer sexy in a new fragrance universe.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2006 12:26:00 PM More reviews by mimosa05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Nothing but hype.
If it was a Coty it wouldn't be so popular. I love the reviews that talk about being one of the chosen few, or woman enough to wear it "correctly" Pretty good comedy there.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2006 12:34:00 AM More reviews by xxparisonfire

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand what is so appealing about this product - but everyone has their own opinion...Personally I couldn't stand the smell of this fragrance. Hmm

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2006 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Cally79

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love fragrance more than anything else. I love many of the classics and lots of the new fragrances as well. Coco Mlle is one of my faves.
Chanel No. 5 is one of those scents that must choose to like you, not the other way around. I am one of the lucky ones. This one seems to disagree with different people's chemistry on a frequent basis yet it has been around for so long!
On me it is a child's Christmas morning and magical memories of the past that soothe and comfort the heart. There is nothing else quite like it when it's loving your chemistry.
It's soft and powdery and sweet and sexy all at once. I truly adore the vintage aroma and lush feeling behind this fragrance as it blossoms on my skin.
When I've worn it I've had some of the most heartfelt compliments about how nice it smells on me.
Thank you Chanel for such a beautiful gift of enchantment in a bottle!
Edit: I don't love it because It's Chanel. I'm not a "brand" oriented person and certainly don't have money but to me this is a soft and cozy scent that doesn't hit you over the head (not the way I wear it descretely) but it's like a lovely baby powdery sort of smell.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2006 9:16:00 PM More reviews by west58

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Because this is such an iconic fragrance I really wanted to love it. But I don't. It's a very sweet floral with a metallic edge and old-lady-dusting-powder finish. Very artificial chemical scent and very unappealing. Gorgeous bottle, however.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2006 4:05:00 PM More reviews by suzyQ3

The smell of this perfume seems so serious to me. It does not smell like a fun, girly, carefree perfume. It strikes me as very sophisticated and strong. I feel like I need to be at least 50 years old in order to wear this, which is definitely not my type of perfume. I got this as a gift, otherwise I never would purchase it on my own. So, it depends on personal taste. You want to try something more serious and bold, then this is your type. If you want something floral, flirty, and fun, buy something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2006 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Libagrouchy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

CNo5 is one of those scents that definitely work better with some body chemistry than others. It smelled divine on my mother and I always wanted to wear it but never felt it worked for me. After she died I kept her bottles, one unopened that I had given her. Now and then, I wear it and it seems to work for me better; maybe my body has changed. One crucial thing to note is NEVER to waste your money on EDT. You can only get the real depth of CNo5's complexity and charm from EDP.