MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

After having worn Colorstay, Studio Fix Fluid and Double wear for years this foundation is a refreshing change!
I am normally nw15 in mac foundations however nc15 matched my skin fine in this foundation and blends in well.
The coverage is perfect and it does not have a heavy feel unlike studio fix fluid! I set it with blot powder in medium, however it dries very well so I think you could probably skip setting it if you wanted to.
The bottle comes with a pump so no need to purchase one seperately or waste product trying to pour it out (one of my major gripes about Colorstay!)
I have yet to test how long this foundation lasts but I have a feeling it will live up to its name.

on 3/16/2011 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

So far so good. I love this foundation. Makes me look flawless. Thank god the makeup artist helped me choose my color. I swear I thought I'd be a NC35 or NC 40 but I'm an NC30 & it matched me perfectly. I love the staying power on this foundation. Doesn't budge at all. I'd recommend it to anyone!

on 3/16/2011 3:49:00 PM

I have tried almost every foundation available in drugstores or department stores, and have never managed to find a match for my pale, yellow-toned-yet-rosacea-dotted skin. Every other foundation I have tried has either been too pink, too pale/dark or just appears to slide off my rosacea cheeks without a second thought. I wanted a medium-cover foundation that could even-out my red cheeks, and that wouldn't dry out my normal cheeks or aggravate my mildly-oily t-zone. I also wanted to do as little reapplying during the day as humanly possible; I seriously cannot be bothered with touch-ups! I had started to think that I would never find a foundation that could meet all of these demands.

MAC Pro-Longwear certainly ticks most of those boxes.

This foundation is described as having "medium" coverage. The product is quite thick, and you really need only the smallest amount to do your entire face (something I didn't realise until my first swipe with the makeup brush left a paint-like swatch across my face...whoops). The foundation comes in a pump-bottle, making dispensing just the right amount a breeze. The finish is slightly dewy, very flattering and non-glittery. It covers all of my blemishes and rosacea with ease - although I do have to take advantage of the buildable coverage by applying a second thin layer over my cheeks. Best of all, it does not draw attention to either my oily or dry, flakier areas; both are evened out perfectly. I apply this at 7am, and at 9pm it's still in place just as fresh with no retouching. Absolutely marvellous! However, do bear in mind that the SPF rating of this is going to cause some white casting during flash photography. Hey, almost all foundations do. Deal.

It's worth mentioning that Pro-LW does oxidise to a degree during the day. It's my understanding that wearing a moisturiser with SPF can exaggerate this; I personally use an SPF-free moisturiser, and still get a degree of oxidisation. However; I personally think this foundation looks even better once it's had a chance to "mix" into your skin; unlike Estee Lauder Double Wear (more about this comparison later), which tends to sit as an immovable cover on top of the skin (not necessarily a bad thing - I guess it depends what floats your boat), Pro-LW melds a bit better with your skin's oils and secretions, and looks a little more natural. Many people have said that they need to go one shade lighter in Pro-LW than other MAC foundations, as this runs very slightly darker than the rest of their range; I personally didn't notice much difference until the oxidisation, but even then the shade is just about manageable for me. I think if the freshly-applied foundation is already veering towards the slightly-darker end of what suits your skin, you may want to consider going a shade lighter.

I just wanted to mention a comparison between this and another hugely popular foundation - Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay In Place. I originally started out with a bottle of DW, and seriously struggled to get a decent colour match; none of the shades were exactly right (I am NC25 in Pro LongWear), and it dried out horribly on my cheeks leaving a cakey, powdery mess. For this reason I reached out in desperation to MAC - and am so glad that I did! DW offers a more-full coverage and more neutral shades; however IMO it's not as suitable for my skin type. Pro LongWear, on the other hand, seems to do the job splendidly. I would say that, if you are prone to oiliness, DW is more likely to be your friend than Pro-LW; Pro can deal with a degree of oil before it sets you glowing like a lighthouse, but DW seems to actively THRIVE on oil. I have both in my kit, and tend to gravitate towards DW (albeit with plenty of moisturiser and primer) if I need a foundation to last all day and night, but for general coverage I love my Pro-LW unconditionally.

Or, at least, until something better comes along. It's just going to have to be damn good, is all.

on 3/16/2011 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I live in MN, so my skin is usually very dry for 4 months of the year. MAC is one of my favorite foundation lines, but this liquid just settles in the dry skin patches and creates a pasty clown look. I went back for a new color and foundation brush, thinking this would help, but still the clown look. So I returned to my cheap old standby - Revlon ColorStay. Even the combination/oily skin version doesn't stick to my dry patches (when it's not winter, I have oily skin).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

this is my first foundation from MAC let me just say. the lady from the store matched me up with NC40 and she was so wrong! Be careful when getting matched up for your right shade by one of the makeup artist. So i bought it and i was oh so excited to try it out that i didnt even think of keeping my receipt or the box it came and i sooooooo wish i did!! first of all when i applied it all over my face and neck i looked sooo YELLOW!! and i didnt even put that much on. so i went back knowing i couldnt return it and asked to get matched up again so this time another girl said NC42 would of been a better match. This really pissed me off but i should have kept my receipt. The formula is rather thick but i think it's easy to blend so i dont get why others say you have to work with it fast?? since the color is too yellow i have to mix it with another foundation that im trying to use up (Dior tinted moisturizer) cause its too dark for me and the color ends up ok. maybe if i got my actual right shade i would say different because i love the pump it's the color that made this not a good experience for me. i switched to revlon colorstay and I LOVE IT!! and the color is my actual shade (natural tan) and it comes in a formula for oily skin and it last all day!!! i said i wouldnt buy again because i like my revlon colorstay so much that i dunno if i want to purchase prolongwear again and colorstay is so much cheaper i just wish it came in a pump. i will just use up this mac prolong wear and maybe maybe just maybe purchase again and this time in my actual shade.
oh and seem cakey no matter how much little amount i used

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

at first i loved this product, it lasts all day, without a primer or anything i was shocked, no other makeup as ever lasted as long on my face before i thought i had found my miracle foundation. but then two days into wearig this foundation i noticed raised bumbes all over my face and i was breaking out on my chin. i usually never get spots so the common denominater unfortunately is the make up! The foundation is thick but it you do not need much to create an even coverage and the lasting power is PHENOMENAL! i put mine on using a brush, but the foundation is quite sticky so I would probably apply with my fingers. Overall a great product, just not right for me!

on 3/14/2011 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am in LOVE with this foundation! I've pretty much been wearing it since it first came out a few months back and I have never found anything with as much long wearing ability. You really don't have to use much at all to achieve flawless skin with this foundation. My skin is VERY oily and this product along with prep + prime finishing powder has made me such a happy girl! The concealer is also incredible,

As per the post below mine, from what i understand the foundation runs a bit lighter than some of the other MAC foundations. NW does stand for warm, where as the NC for cool. I would let them know at the counter/ store you purchased at, most time they will exchange it for the correct color as long as it was recently purchased. BTW I definitly recommend the prep+prime powder, it really does the trick with battling oily skin and improving the longevity of the makeup

Pros:
EVERYTHING about this foundation is amazing!

Cons:
The only downfall if you have fairer skin is that the SPF is only 10 where as other MAC foundations are 15, reason for the minimized SPF is to increase the wear time.
(not SUCH a big deal though)

on 3/14/2011 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this stuff! It's a tacky foundation, but I love that because it bonds and melts right into my skin, and I just have to apply it with my fingers, unlike Colorstay, which requires a damp sponge and lots of praying to make it work.
My only problem with this foundation is the color. This is my first MAC foundation, so I'm kind of confused about their color spectrum and the names they give their shades. I have a bottle of NW20 and it looks slightly dark orange on my face. Does NW mean warm or cool? I thought it meant cool, but I mean, the product is kind of orange. Online, MAC had a NW15 shade, but at the stores I went to, the lightest shade was NW20. I have cool pale skin and if this foundation was a cool pale shade then it would be the numba one stunna!

Edit: So I really hated wearing the orange NW20 version, so I bought the NC15 shade, and now I think I know why this foundation runs so dark...because the lighter the shade is, the worse this foundation looks! I LOVED the look the of NW20 on me, in terms of texture and it looked very natural...but when you saw my neck and how white-blue my neck is, the foundation kind of gave itself away. But there's something very off with the NC15 shade...it almost had the horrible application of Revlon Colorstay, and it would not blend into my skin, it just kind of sat on top of it. I thought MAC was supposed to have the best color selection! It's just too bad.

on 3/11/2011 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I purchase my pro long wear the other day. I was using Smash box foundation and adored it. But I'm always willing to try something new, plus i hadn't owned a MAC foundation yet so i said why not. This product is "okay." It's very heavy and thick for me. It's also very yellowy. It does give you that flawless look from far but up close it looks cakey. I'm into foundation that are more sheer. What i did like about it was that it didn't budge. I apply at 7:30am and it will be on till 10pm and will still look the same as when i first applied it. I'd love it if it was a bit more sheer.

on 3/11/2011 4:51:00 PM

Purchased last week.
I'm an NC15 and this is a good match, a tad darker than other MAC NC15s but nevertheless a good colour.

PROs:
Flawless medium - buildable coverage
Long lasting
Doesn't transfer to clothes
Hasn't broken me out (a problem with Studio fix...)

CONs:
None (yet!)

Video Reviews & Tutorials