October 25, 2014 | 1827 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Emkat8

Wow I'm so impressed by this product! I have had numerous bad experiences at salons before, so I'm not one to go have my hair done professionaly. However, I realize I'm no pro myself, so I am a bit nervous to do my hair. WIth this kit however, it really was very easy and gave me very pretty results! Pulling my hair through the cap was a bit time consuming, and I had to have my husband help me with the back side of my head. But once you get that done, putting on the dye is easy, and compared to other dyes I've used it doesn't stink terribly and make my eyes water by the strong smell. They also provide like a plastic bag thing to put over that which worked pretty well. I left my dye on about 20 minutes total. I checked in the mirror and it looked slightly orange so I was worried I had ruined my hair, but after jumping in the shower and shampooing I was pleasantly surprised! My medium/dark brown hair now has pretty blond highlights that are natural looking. The kit I used was the "honey" highlighting kit made for medium to dark brown hair.
The only word of warning I have for others is make sure to check the dye frequently so it doesn't get too light on you. I did a strand test which showed I needed about 50 minutes time to get the color I wanted. But once the plastic bag was on my head I think the heat from my scalp made it process faster, so I really needed only 20 minutes. Just be wary of that, but if you are considering this kit BUY IT! It's the best at home highlighting results I've ever had.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2009 11:18:00 AM More reviews by marleybeans

I can't recommend this product enough I can't the negative reviews some people are giving it!
I got the one for medium to dark brown hair. I pre punctured all the holes as I wanted a dramatic change and brushed my long thick hair thouroughly before starting. I got my boyfriend to pull thin pieces of hair through every hole and he did complain of getting tired so we kept having tea breaks every 20 mins! But all in all it took about 4o mins to pull all hair thriugh evenly.
Then I brushed all the hair coming out of the cap throughly to make sure there were no loops.
We then mixed the product and put it on all over. I was slightly worried my hair would turn crazy colours as I had previously dyed it with a dark auburn but no! The colour is beautiful blonde highlights all even through my hair. It has made my hazel eyes look more blonde! haha! My hair and eyes match xD
It has given me so much confidence and I feel I look healthier with my new colour. It's been about a month now and I just feel happier in general with my new doo. Oh yeah and now my likl sis wants the same thing for her hair :0) So definately get it if you're feeling drab because it's worth it!

Add details: I bought 2 boxes but 1 was enough for my long hair. If you have short hair you probably need half a packet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 11:06:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only product I will use if a member of the family asks me to give them highlights. I love this product although it does have its downfalls.

You cannot do this to yourself (well,- maybe but it would be awful difficult- not like other at home one step dye kits)
It is time consuming (all in all it takes around an hour and a half which I guess is less than if you have to sit in a salon but sitting in a salon and having them do the work is easier)
It can be painful (to the individual you are highlighting) to have the hair pulled through the cap which is a universal fit and in my experience not tight enough. It can also be messy and the bleach will stain. The packaging is cheap and utilitarian and It also hurts pulling the cap off.
However, I have never EVER had a bad highlight job come out of using this little $10.00 kit. Fact is everyone I have ever done has gotten huge compliments on their hair. I have used this for at least 10 years!!

I would recommend this to anyone, I have used the newer, so called easier brush on highlights which have done nothing but leave orange splotches on everyone's hair I have tried to use them on and I have always had to go back to the store to buy this kit to fix their hair!

I will never use anything else- a highlighting staple!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by Thiciana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just want to share a nice tip if you’re looking for more natural looking highlights… I once had done “sun-kissed” highlights in a saloon and I absolutely loved it (it’s a cool and low-maintenance look - lighter ends, so roots don’t really show quickly), but they were really costly… Then a friend of mine recommended this kit, saying you could get a similar effect if you start from the ends and go up towards the roots every 5 minutes, using a sponge (like those make-up sponges) to smoothly apply and avoid marks in between…

Since it was the first time I did this kinda thing at home by myself, I was really careful with time and kept a clock right there in my bathroom… after I selected all meches, I started from the ends (my hair had a shoulder-length, so I took like ¼ of it), waited 5 minutes and then applied a little higher… then again, again…than 5 last minutes in the roots. Whole application took 30 min.

I washed it off and the result was great, so natural… even my hairstylist complimented saying it looked professional!! When done with application, I could notice the ends were really light as opposed to roots, almost white – I got scared for a second but once it blended with the rest of my hair, it looked really cool and not too light. If you feel like trying to do this, just plan ahead specially if you have really long hair… make sure you appropriately divide up the maximum time so your ends won’t get fried. Try it out, it’s worth it – by the way, my roots never really showed, just this really subtle blond. I’m doing it for the second time this month!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 3:10:00 PM More reviews by lcassesa

I bought this today at Walmart for $6.47.. very cheap in my opinion. I got it in the Chestnut shade for my dark/medium brown hair. When i got home and opened the box.. i was disappointed that the mix had exploded in the box and was everywhere. I had to go back to walmart to get another one. The next box was also damaged and it took 2 more to find a nice new one. That is the reasoning why i gave it only a 2 in packaging quality. There was also NO seal on the box.. which always makes me nervous if colors were switched or materials missing. I opened the box as soon as i got home b/c i was anxious to start. I must be honest.. the cap thingy scared me.. but there was no turning back now. I did a strand test which took 30 minutes total. Made me happy knowing that the test strand came out fine. I put on my "lovely" cap and started pulling hairs through. Very easy until it came to do some back pieces. i highly recommend getting somebody to help you with the back pieces. Also.. i think i didn't pull too much through the holes. It said for subtle highlights use every other hole in the cap.. i used EVERY hole in the front and crown sections.. but b/c i only pulled a few hairs through each hole the results were very subtle. Next time i'm gong to make sure to pull more through the holes. Anwyays.. back to the cap.. i found the cap to be great b/c it was clearly marked where to pull the hairs for front /crown/back sections. But i had a hard time with the cheap crappy hook they supplied. When i buy again i'm going to get a better frosting hook from sally's. The solution was a cinch to mix together.. and i using my hands i applied it to the all the pieces poking through the cap. So very simple.. Then i wrapped it up and waiting 20 anxious minutes so i could wash out, shampoo the toner in and condition. When i got out of the shower i hardly noticed any change.. But once i finished drying it.. it was gorgeous!! Very professional looking!!!!!! I did the Chestnut shade this time.. but for the summer i'll switch to the honey one. Absolutely love how it came out! I keep starting at my hair in the mirror!!!! Love love love it!!

Highly recommended.. Will most definitely buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by suzanneleigh

This is my holy grail for at-home highlighting! Until I found this, my dyed blonde hair was ALWAYS brassy and I was never happy with it until I found this at a drugstore and decided to give it a try. I love the platinum highlights that don't turn yellow. Such a relief after all these years! And honestly, the salon would usually have the same results--brassiness after a week or two, so I started to look for things I could do myself to save money. The biggest pain is that you have to pull your hair through a cap, which I LOATHE, but I am not talented enough to free-hand it, so sometimes I put off coloring my hair because I don't want to have to go through the trouble. However, I did decide to get the metal hook from Sally's, which made a big difference. The plastic hook that comes with the package I always throw away after I use the big end to mix the product. And yes, the plastic gloves are crappy. Of course, eventually I do end up getting the overblonde look, but I have been recently experimenting with doing lowlights using the same method. Works pretty well--especially for what I am saving. My family keeps on telling me my "hairdresser" is doing a great job--I don't even bother to tell them it's me, since they wouldn't believe it because of all self-inflicted hair fiascos I have visited upon myself in the past, ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2008 3:36:00 AM More reviews by FlameHaze

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product after reading several reviews on MUA, I've got to say that some reviews were pretty accurate. I purchased the box that was meant for dark brown hair, because most of my hair is kinda dark brown, but my natural hair color is black, and I wanted blond highlights and not chestnut ones.

I found it really difficult to pull out hairs all over by myself, so I'd recommend getting someone to assist you with this step. After all the hairs were successfully pulled out (after 1.5 hours of trying...) I proceeded to mix the product together. I really did not like the outcome of the mixture. It had a very low viscosity, very watery texture. I didn't think it would work at first, because I tried to put it on my hair with the spatula, but it fell off so easily so I had to use my hands instead and just rub the mixture into my hair while massaging at the same time. IIt was really messy and I was about to give up. But then I guess the mixture got a little more (just a bit) thicker, so it actually stayed on my hair. I just put the whole mixture on my hair and I let it sit in for about 50 minutes. The color that was setting in was a very soft golden blonde. I was amazed that such a watery mixture could produce such results. After rinsing and shampooing/conditioning, I found that the shampoo and conditioner given made my hair really dry, so I used my regular conditioner after. I dried my hair and the results were perfect, I had highlights in all the places that I wanted, and the color was a nice golden blonde. The total time I spent on my hair was about 3 hours. I did not like that, but I guess it was worth it.

I would definitely repurchase this product,, but I really hope the mixture isn't as watery next time.

I recommend this to anyone who would like salon-quality highlights.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2007 7:08:00 PM More reviews by Jillipede

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have used this kit several times with acceptable results. I have dark blonde hair and to get my hair to the light blonde I like, I have to leave it in for the maximum time of 60 minutes. I still prefer to go to the salon, but I use this kit (for blonde to light brown hair) for in between salon visits for touchups. I only did the front part of the cap for face framing this time. I used the cap that came with the kit. The picture below is from my results. On the far left you can see where I did a more bold streak. You can also see where my roots were growing in darker and where the touchup highlights I did with this kit are. I will continue to use this as I am pleased with the results. I purchased this at Walgreens for $9.99 USD.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by lrhamilton

I bought this with the intent of doing a balayage ombre on my fine, medium-length light brown hair. I've colored it before so I was a bit nervous that it would come out orange, but it ended up fine. I started with dirty hair as I went to the gym beforehand.

The instructions are clear and everything is clearly labeled. They include the frosting cap and appropriate tools, none of which I used for the actual coloring process. I used my fingers to choose exactly where I wanted the dye to go. It took me about 20 minutes to apply the product, as I have never done highlights/ombre/balayage before. I left it in for about 10 minutes after I finished applying the last of the product, then got in the shower and used the provided shampoo and conditioner.

It's more subtle than I intended but it definitely looks good. I may use a toner later, but at this point I don't think I need it.

Warning: since there's bleach in the product, wear a shirt you don't care about and do it in a well-ventilated area!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by CrystalChild

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first time ever highlighting my hair (salon or otherwise).

I have medium brown hair naturally, and it was (mistakenly) dyed dark brown. Whenever I've tried to tone or change the color of my hair it always comes out VERY dark, so I figured it would take a long time to lift color out of my hair with this product.

I only pulled hair through some of the holes, and very small amounts of hair, at that.

I processed the bleach for about 50-55 minutes, and it ended up lifting to a dark golden blonde. Very pretty, and not brassy!

My highlights aren't very noticeable, because there aren't many of them and they are so thin, but I'm planning on buying another kit and giving myself some more!

The only thing I wish could be improved upon was the cap. Unlike others, I didn't have an issue getting my hair through the cap with the plastic hook. BUT I did have problems getting the highlights to touch my head. Maybe I have an odd head shape... lolz. But I tied the cap as tight as possible and i thought I was getting close to my root, but some of the highlights were off a bit.

Overall, I highly recommend this project and I will be posting a picture soon :)