Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 12/3/2014 6:27:00 AM

I love it. It takes a very long time to get all the hair out of the holes (and my husband helped me for the top and the back of the head) but the results are BEAUTIFUL. My hair was dark brown, i used color oops, my hair was ginger, i dyed it a medium ash blond but it was still orange so i expected a little brassiness. I left the bleach for 50 minutes and i got beautiful golden blonde highlights (i bought the blond kit for blond/light brown hair)
It is still a little yellow and i will buy a purple shampoo soon, but the result is very naturel, it blends very well. I have short hair (like jennifer Lawrence's pixie cut of last year) so i didn't go too low in the back to avoid the "sheetah" effect.
Best 13$ i ever spent on my hair....! I'm very happy. I might purchase the platinium one next time and do a free-hand balayage on the darker strands, and then tone them, to get a lighter blond. =)

on 8/20/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!

on 1/21/2013 1:44:00 AM

I bought this in the shade "Honey". I have black permanent dye on my hair, so I was really nervous about using this. I thought it'd come out orange and brassy. I was so wrong. It came out beautifully, no brassiness and little damage. Will definitely repurchase in the future when I need to touch it up. I do recommend doing a strand test (the kit has instructions) so that you know how long to leave it in your hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive been using this since I was 18 years old (now in my early 30's). This has been the absolute best highlighting kit, that never gives my dark hair brassiness, and always comes out a perfect cool honey blonde, and gets more better everytime I touch it up!

I used to paint biolage streaks in my hair using a comb but recently started using the cap, and although it can take a bit long to really get the perfect strands out, it works great everytime.

One thing you can do to make sure you get to the root as much as possible is make sure the cap is as tight as you can.

*I also use the highlighting cap when wanting to make permanent hair color streaks-works really perfect too! Plus I always worry about the PPD toxic dye touching my scalp, so I sometimes use the highlighting cap and use ALL of the holes and use a permanent hair color, then a week later I then use the highlighting cap for the highlights and only use the "circled" holes. ;)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING.

I am never paying salon prices again. I was in a quandry this morning, as I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally.

Read the reviews and went for it, and I am extremely impressed. I did the honey highlights for my medium brown hair. It turned out natural, professional, and beautiful looking.

The only negative aspect is that it is quite labor intensive. Simple and easy to do, but labor intensive none the less. It is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. I struggled awkwardly for over an hour with a mirror trying to get the crown and back finished, and eventually gave up as I had no one with me to help. But it still looks brilliant just as a half head.

on 9/2/2012 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I normally have medium brown hair. I used this kit to OMBRE my hair, not as a highlighting kit. So I have no experience with the cap. Anyways! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! Actually makes me hair blonde and not brassy orange. I split my hair on two sides. Then I start placing color on my tips. Then after 20mins I add more higher up on my hair then after 15 add some more a little closer to the crown of my head then about 8 mins later hop in the shower and I get beauitful ombre. Highly recommend this kit! I used the blonde to light brown kit. I've used the medium brown honey one once and wasn't as crazy about the results as I am with the blond to light brown. It doesn't have brassy notes in it like the honey kit does.

on 2/9/2010 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm a chicken! I've made a few hair mistakes so I'm gun-shy. My hair was blonde through my 30's but in my 40's it darkened to a level 7 and had steelgray. Late 40's saw me go about 40% gray. Hubby wanted no gray ;-) So I started dyeing. At first okay - about an 8 to 9 but over time it got a bit yellowy. Had a salon do it and it came out RATHER DARK. So when it was time to do it again, I went a shade lighter which came out RATHER LIGHT and bit yellowy (even though I use neutral). Within a few days I put a darker blonde on it - 2/3 looked perfect - the roots were still a bit "hot". Wanting to break up the solid color, I tried the blonde/lt. brown kit. Knowing my very curly hair is porous. I checked at about 20minutes and the strand was WHITE. Panic set in and I jumped in shower to rinse. While rinsing I saw white streaks. But when I got out they were all but gone. So I have very faint highlights that are fine, but barely noticeable. Think I'll wait till my next color - color a tad darker and try the highlights again for more like 35 minutes. Worth a try again. Poked holes first. Used circled holes. Did myself using metal hook. Conditioned with cap on, slid it off and followed with shampoo and toner/conditioner.
** After air-drying my curls, I've upgraded this to 5 lippies. It really is perfect - just the right amount of lift to add a very natural sunkissed sparkle - no yellow no brassy. LOVE!

on 12/24/2009 9:39:00 PM

I just finished highlighting my hair with the kit for medium brown to dark brown hair. I absolutely love the result! I was a little scared because of all the warnings I've got against highlighting in general and doing it after dyeing with permanent all over color. Two days ago I dyed my hair with Ion Color Brilliance (4R - Med Red Brown). My hair felt sooo soft afterwards and the color was pretty much dead on with the swatch at Sally's but was still a bit darker than I wanted. I have long, layered naturally medium brown hair with some natural reddish blonde highlights. I havent done any type of chemical processing on my hair for 5 years....that being said, I am thrilled that my first experience on my went so well and only cost me $25 vs. $200 at a solon!!!

As for the revlon kit in particular, the cap wasnt as horrible as I expected. It took a couple tries to get the hang of it and didnt hurt at all. I definitely recommend getting someone to help tho. I had my husband do the back....I cant even begin to imagine what a pain it would be to do that on your own. I also recommend doing a really good deep conditioning a day or two before hand because the highlighting REALLY dries your hair out. Thats the only con and why I gave it 4 out 5 lippies. I did two sample swatches beforehand...the first was left on for 20 min (directed time) and the other for 35 min. The 20 min showed hardly any difference at all and the 35 min gave a subtle effect, which is what I was looking for. It took my husband about 20 min to get the product on my hair so taking that into consideration I left it on another 25 min. You can definitely see the difference but its not drastic, looks very natural and to my delight very much like the box sample photo!

I will definitely continue to use this product. Btw, even tho it dried out my hair, I saved so much doing it myself that I dont mind spending and extra $20-$30 at the salon for a deep conditioning treatment...I like to get them every now and again anyway :-)

on 11/14/2009 6:45:00 PM

Wow I'm so impressed by this product! I have had numerous bad experiences at salons before, so I'm not one to go have my hair done professionaly. However, I realize I'm no pro myself, so I am a bit nervous to do my hair. WIth this kit however, it really was very easy and gave me very pretty results! Pulling my hair through the cap was a bit time consuming, and I had to have my husband help me with the back side of my head. But once you get that done, putting on the dye is easy, and compared to other dyes I've used it doesn't stink terribly and make my eyes water by the strong smell. They also provide like a plastic bag thing to put over that which worked pretty well. I left my dye on about 20 minutes total. I checked in the mirror and it looked slightly orange so I was worried I had ruined my hair, but after jumping in the shower and shampooing I was pleasantly surprised! My medium/dark brown hair now has pretty blond highlights that are natural looking. The kit I used was the "honey" highlighting kit made for medium to dark brown hair.
The only word of warning I have for others is make sure to check the dye frequently so it doesn't get too light on you. I did a strand test which showed I needed about 50 minutes time to get the color I wanted. But once the plastic bag was on my head I think the heat from my scalp made it process faster, so I really needed only 20 minutes. Just be wary of that, but if you are considering this kit BUY IT! It's the best at home highlighting results I've ever had.

on 8/11/2009 11:18:00 AM

I can't recommend this product enough I can't the negative reviews some people are giving it!
I got the one for medium to dark brown hair. I pre punctured all the holes as I wanted a dramatic change and brushed my long thick hair thouroughly before starting. I got my boyfriend to pull thin pieces of hair through every hole and he did complain of getting tired so we kept having tea breaks every 20 mins! But all in all it took about 4o mins to pull all hair thriugh evenly.
Then I brushed all the hair coming out of the cap throughly to make sure there were no loops.
We then mixed the product and put it on all over. I was slightly worried my hair would turn crazy colours as I had previously dyed it with a dark auburn but no! The colour is beautiful blonde highlights all even through my hair. It has made my hazel eyes look more blonde! haha! My hair and eyes match xD
It has given me so much confidence and I feel I look healthier with my new colour. It's been about a month now and I just feel happier in general with my new doo. Oh yeah and now my likl sis wants the same thing for her hair :0) So definately get it if you're feeling drab because it's worth it!

Add details: I bought 2 boxes but 1 was enough for my long hair. If you have short hair you probably need half a packet.

Popular Hair Color Products