Revlon Frost

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I never write reviews on anything, but I felt revlon frost and glow deserves it. I am 16, and have tried to highlight my hair myself countless times. and I've ended up with orange hair! I have dark brown hair, & this product amazed me. the cap was a little painful, poking my scalp with that comb. but I came out with wonderful caramel and blonde highlights! I'm very impressed with this product and I will be buying again shortly. (:

I attempted a balayage highlight technique with this and I'm writing this to anyone who is also considering doing it as when you search on youtube for diy balayage this kit comes up a lot. I started with about 5" root growth of virgin medium ash brown hair, the ends of my hair were sort of a combination of platinum, gold and a honey color. Basically I grew out my bleached blonde hair the last year and a half. It pulled off a slight ombre look and I was very sick the last year and a half with a few surgeries done so I really didn't care a huge amount about my hair, I wore a lot of hats. Now that I'm ok, Woot! But with very little funds now I decided to give this product a shot. After reading all the great reviews and studying many a youtube video on how to use it to do balayage highlights with revlon frost and glow, I figured that could soften up the top of my hair color to hair-paint a bunch of streaks down to the light ends. I used my own gloves and did not use the highlighting cap. Eventually I even took the gloves off and just used my fingers for precision. Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough but it came out uneven on me..with a lot of brass. My bang portion which I put the most product on and where I wanted to lighten the most barely showed anything but brass, while right next to it a large orange blotch. On one of the youtube videos she explained that you can keep your excess product and do it again to fix any mistakes..I had only used about 1/4 of the product by that time anyway. I know about bleach and how my hair takes to it, when I used to be platinum stylists would have a hard time lifting with 30 volume peroxide..If I would have remembered that maybe It would have been safe to keep this on the maximum 60 min, because it is a super low volume. I did it again right away, It lifted better this time. I had to keep applying because this stuff dries fast and bleach stops lifting when It's dry..It came out a light reddish brown but other sections were so brassy and gold my hair almost looked worse then when I started. Thank goodness I had some Goldwell pearl gray toning mousse lying around and drenched my hair in it. That helped..So if you do this and It is too brassy remember that. One good thing I can say about this is it did lift my stubborn bottom layer which was a goldish red to a level up just gold..so it took to the toner beautifully. I hated that layer but also didn't want to go crazy bleaching it with a strong product because it is my length. I figured using this product on that area would be safer, and it was. All and all, this product did not work for me..To be fair I definitely did my own thing with it. I assumed my hair was perfect for it, It was virgin where I put the most product.. it was a light/medium ash brown with no red. It's not like I started with years of black dyed hair. I did have the blonde ends but I was very careful not to overlap. My bangs were totally brown and virgin and this took two times to notice anything, the 2nd time I left it on a full 45 min. I do like how it is gentle and I don't feel like I fried my hair or anything. I'll probably have to go get it fixed at a salon eventually after I give it a rest..It's too bad. I'm going to be toning like crazy for awhile to keep the brass at bay..It's pretty bad.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love it. It takes a very long time to get all the hair out of the holes (and my husband helped me for the top and the back of the head) but the results are BEAUTIFUL. My hair was dark brown, i used color oops, my hair was ginger, i dyed it a medium ash blond but it was still orange so i expected a little brassiness. I left the bleach for 50 minutes and i got beautiful golden blonde highlights (i bought the blond kit for blond/light brown hair)
It is still a little yellow and i will buy a purple shampoo soon, but the result is very naturel, it blends very well. I have short hair (like jennifer Lawrence's pixie cut of last year) so i didn't go too low in the back to avoid the "sheetah" effect.
Best 13$ i ever spent on my hair....! I'm very happy. I might purchase the platinium one next time and do a free-hand balayage on the darker strands, and then tone them, to get a lighter blond. =)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I used to spend $200 for salon highlights for years, and started using this product consistently over the past three years. People always compliment my hair and ask where I get my hair done! I'm happier with the results of this kit than any salon that I've ever been to. My hair would get so dried out when I had salon highlights, as they always over highlighted no matter how subtle or partial I had requested.

I leave the product on for 40 minutes and get nice subtle blonde highlights. I alternate between the Caramel and the Blonde kit (I touch up every two to three months). Over time, I get a multidimensional highlighted effect by doing this. There is a slight learning curve, as far as achieving the effect that you want. When I used to use this for all over highlights, I would touch up the roots only for 20 minutes (after pulling through the cap), and then apply the remaining mixture through the ends for the last 20 minutes. I'm now using this to do partial highlights, so I only use half of the product each time. Talk about affordable!

I find that this works best by using a metal hook (can get at Sally's) to pull the hair through. I also pull mostly thinner pieces, and occasionally thicker ones (spaced out evenly, usually every two or three holes). This gives a very natural look. Be careful not to pull too much in the front--it's tempting, but over do that and it won't look right. It will come out too blended in the front and the highlight effect will be lost. I use a mirror for the back and sides. The process just gets easier and faster every time.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've used this product before and my highlights always come out perfect, I have dark brown hair that salons never ever know how to bleach, I have been even to a "master colorist" at Aveda with no luck, she turned my hair orange-red and even after two toner sessions my hair was still clown-like.
I used this yesterday and left the mixture for 20 minutes with a plastic bag on (test swatch cooked much slower) my hair was orange at that point, washed and put a light ash brown for 30 mins, got the perfect caramel highlights. Probably 40 minutes will turn my hair blonde if I ever want blonde highlights.

I bought this in the shade "Honey". I have black permanent dye on my hair, so I was really nervous about using this. I thought it'd come out orange and brassy. I was so wrong. It came out beautifully, no brassiness and little damage. Will definitely repurchase in the future when I need to touch it up. I do recommend doing a strand test (the kit has instructions) so that you know how long to leave it in your hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive been using this since I was 18 years old (now in my early 30's). This has been the absolute best highlighting kit, that never gives my dark hair brassiness, and always comes out a perfect cool honey blonde, and gets more better everytime I touch it up!

I used to paint biolage streaks in my hair using a comb but recently started using the cap, and although it can take a bit long to really get the perfect strands out, it works great everytime.

One thing you can do to make sure you get to the root as much as possible is make sure the cap is as tight as you can.

*I also use the highlighting cap when wanting to make permanent hair color streaks-works really perfect too! Plus I always worry about the PPD toxic dye touching my scalp, so I sometimes use the highlighting cap and use ALL of the holes and use a permanent hair color, then a week later I then use the highlighting cap for the highlights and only use the "circled" holes. ;)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING.

I am never paying salon prices again. I was in a quandry this morning, as I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally.

Read the reviews and went for it, and I am extremely impressed. I did the honey highlights for my medium brown hair. It turned out natural, professional, and beautiful looking.

The only negative aspect is that it is quite labor intensive. Simple and easy to do, but labor intensive none the less. It is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. I struggled awkwardly for over an hour with a mirror trying to get the crown and back finished, and eventually gave up as I had no one with me to help. But it still looks brilliant just as a half head.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used this several times and have made several reviews, I think this will be my fifth, at least. This is an amazing product, if used wisely. First of all, the plastic hook works just fine. I had trouble at first but watched some youtube videos and the trick is to hold the tool so that the hook part is facing up, makes a world of difference. Using this technique made everything so much easier and eliminated the need to pre-poke holes. When doing the sides of your head, have the hook facing out, if you try to poke holes through with the hook facing towards your head, it just doesn't work well at all, this could be what's causing so much difficulty.
Doing every other hole gives a natural look and I always leave it on the full 60 minutes in order to get a true-blonde look. I have light brown hair and have used both kits for the honey blonde and regular blonde. I find the kit for honey blonde is very strong and I have much more breakage when I use that one.
Oh, and I always have my hubs help me with the back, there's just no way I can do that myself with much accuracy.