Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I never write reviews on anything, but I felt revlon frost and glow deserves it. I am 16, and have tried to highlight my hair myself countless times. and I've ended up with orange hair! I have dark brown hair, & this product amazed me. the cap was a little painful, poking my scalp with that comb. but I came out with wonderful caramel and blonde highlights! I'm very impressed with this product and I will be buying again shortly. (:

on 12/3/2014 6:27:00 AM

I love it. It takes a very long time to get all the hair out of the holes (and my husband helped me for the top and the back of the head) but the results are BEAUTIFUL. My hair was dark brown, i used color oops, my hair was ginger, i dyed it a medium ash blond but it was still orange so i expected a little brassiness. I left the bleach for 50 minutes and i got beautiful golden blonde highlights (i bought the blond kit for blond/light brown hair)
It is still a little yellow and i will buy a purple shampoo soon, but the result is very naturel, it blends very well. I have short hair (like jennifer Lawrence's pixie cut of last year) so i didn't go too low in the back to avoid the "sheetah" effect.
Best 13$ i ever spent on my hair....! I'm very happy. I might purchase the platinium one next time and do a free-hand balayage on the darker strands, and then tone them, to get a lighter blond. =)

on 11/18/2014 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I used to spend $200 for salon highlights for years, and started using this product consistently over the past three years. People always compliment my hair and ask where I get my hair done! I'm happier with the results of this kit than any salon that I've ever been to. My hair would get so dried out when I had salon highlights, as they always over highlighted no matter how subtle or partial I had requested.

I leave the product on for 40 minutes and get nice subtle blonde highlights. I alternate between the Caramel and the Blonde kit (I touch up every two to three months). Over time, I get a multidimensional highlighted effect by doing this. There is a slight learning curve, as far as achieving the effect that you want. When I used to use this for all over highlights, I would touch up the roots only for 20 minutes (after pulling through the cap), and then apply the remaining mixture through the ends for the last 20 minutes. I'm now using this to do partial highlights, so I only use half of the product each time. Talk about affordable!

I find that this works best by using a metal hook (can get at Sally's) to pull the hair through. I also pull mostly thinner pieces, and occasionally thicker ones (spaced out evenly, usually every two or three holes). This gives a very natural look. Be careful not to pull too much in the front--it's tempting, but over do that and it won't look right. It will come out too blended in the front and the highlight effect will be lost. I use a mirror for the back and sides. The process just gets easier and faster every time.

on 8/20/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!

on 5/20/2014 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've used this product before and my highlights always come out perfect, I have dark brown hair that salons never ever know how to bleach, I have been even to a "master colorist" at Aveda with no luck, she turned my hair orange-red and even after two toner sessions my hair was still clown-like.
I used this yesterday and left the mixture for 20 minutes with a plastic bag on (test swatch cooked much slower) my hair was orange at that point, washed and put a light ash brown for 30 mins, got the perfect caramel highlights. Probably 40 minutes will turn my hair blonde if I ever want blonde highlights.

on 1/21/2013 1:44:00 AM

I bought this in the shade "Honey". I have black permanent dye on my hair, so I was really nervous about using this. I thought it'd come out orange and brassy. I was so wrong. It came out beautifully, no brassiness and little damage. Will definitely repurchase in the future when I need to touch it up. I do recommend doing a strand test (the kit has instructions) so that you know how long to leave it in your hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive been using this since I was 18 years old (now in my early 30's). This has been the absolute best highlighting kit, that never gives my dark hair brassiness, and always comes out a perfect cool honey blonde, and gets more better everytime I touch it up!

I used to paint biolage streaks in my hair using a comb but recently started using the cap, and although it can take a bit long to really get the perfect strands out, it works great everytime.

One thing you can do to make sure you get to the root as much as possible is make sure the cap is as tight as you can.

*I also use the highlighting cap when wanting to make permanent hair color streaks-works really perfect too! Plus I always worry about the PPD toxic dye touching my scalp, so I sometimes use the highlighting cap and use ALL of the holes and use a permanent hair color, then a week later I then use the highlighting cap for the highlights and only use the "circled" holes. ;)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING.

I am never paying salon prices again. I was in a quandry this morning, as I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally.

Read the reviews and went for it, and I am extremely impressed. I did the honey highlights for my medium brown hair. It turned out natural, professional, and beautiful looking.

The only negative aspect is that it is quite labor intensive. Simple and easy to do, but labor intensive none the less. It is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. I struggled awkwardly for over an hour with a mirror trying to get the crown and back finished, and eventually gave up as I had no one with me to help. But it still looks brilliant just as a half head.

on 10/6/2012 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used this several times and have made several reviews, I think this will be my fifth, at least. This is an amazing product, if used wisely. First of all, the plastic hook works just fine. I had trouble at first but watched some youtube videos and the trick is to hold the tool so that the hook part is facing up, makes a world of difference. Using this technique made everything so much easier and eliminated the need to pre-poke holes. When doing the sides of your head, have the hook facing out, if you try to poke holes through with the hook facing towards your head, it just doesn't work well at all, this could be what's causing so much difficulty.
Doing every other hole gives a natural look and I always leave it on the full 60 minutes in order to get a true-blonde look. I have light brown hair and have used both kits for the honey blonde and regular blonde. I find the kit for honey blonde is very strong and I have much more breakage when I use that one.
Oh, and I always have my hubs help me with the back, there's just no way I can do that myself with much accuracy.

on 9/2/2012 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I normally have medium brown hair. I used this kit to OMBRE my hair, not as a highlighting kit. So I have no experience with the cap. Anyways! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! Actually makes me hair blonde and not brassy orange. I split my hair on two sides. Then I start placing color on my tips. Then after 20mins I add more higher up on my hair then after 15 add some more a little closer to the crown of my head then about 8 mins later hop in the shower and I get beauitful ombre. Highly recommend this kit! I used the blonde to light brown kit. I've used the medium brown honey one once and wasn't as crazy about the results as I am with the blond to light brown. It doesn't have brassy notes in it like the honey kit does.