Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 12/5/2010 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried to find something to like about the one but just don't get it. A pleasant scent, but a big yawn nonetheless. Everyone and their dog seems to be wearing it which goes to show you that a frenzy of advertising can sell almost anything. Probably my chemistry, but after the drydown, I seem to pick up something synthetic, like melted plastic.

I view it as a poor woman's version of Anne Pliska, which is one of the classiest fragrances around.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Has no presence or complexity on me. I spray it and smell a syrupy-sweet sandalwood for a few moments, then nothing for the rest of the day unless I stick my nose right into wherever it was sprayed. Boring. I hoped for more, as warm, sweet Orientals are usually great on me.

on 10/18/2010 11:01:00 PM

This was my first real-deal perfume. I first got it when I was 16 and wore it for maybe 4 years after. However my tastes in perfume changed vastly and I didn't enjoy the strong woody/oriental scent I once did. Unfortunately now it does give me a headache, but for anyone new to oriental fragrances you can't go wrong with Obsession.

on 9/19/2010 2:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A girl who sat in front of me in biology in High School used to wear this. I used to sit behind her and just inhale her scent for an hour everyday (i'm a hetero-girl for reference..). I asked her what perfume she always wore and she said "Obsession". Anything by Calvin Klein was WAY out of my price range at that time, so when I found a Designer Impostor's "dupe" called "Ostentation" I was beside myself. Turns out it didn't quite measure up and I ended up having to sit at the back of the room because I gave the girl behind ME a headache. Lesson learned.. Spring for the real deal.

This is the best. "Obsession" is an intense and womanly oriental scent. Incredibly heady. A little goes a long way. It's unbelievable. Do yourself a favour- Pick this one up.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for vintage Obsession--before the CK brand was bought out (first by Unilever, then by Coty Prestige). I was lucky enough to get an ounce of the pure parfum at an estate sale, and to my delight the scent was still fresh and brought back a wave of great memories. It's smooth, vanillic, rounded, and intensely sexual, with marvelous cola-like tonka and cinnamon notes, and a citrus-bergamot opener that tempers the underlying sweetness. I find some similarities here with Shalimar, but Obsession relinquishes the strong vanilla in Shalimar to a cooler, spicier base reminiscent of Arabian attar oils (Jannat-al-Ferdous comes to mind in particular). It's definitely not a scent for wallflowers, and it will wear YOU unless judiciously applied, but there's a reason Obsession was a runaway hit 25 years ago and continues to be sold like hotcakes today. There's just no other oriental fragrance like it, and I find it delicious and extremely sexy.

If you love orientals, I highly encourage you to purchase older stock of Obsession (mini parfums and EDPs can be had on eBay) and give it a whirl. The current reformulation, available only in EDP and manufactured by Coty Prestige, is thin and sour by comparison and bears only surface resemblance to the masterpiece of the vintage version. (The new version comes in an egg-shaped bottle with brown plastic cap, whereas the older versions came in a wide, flat bottle and/or had a gold band around the cap.)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am so in love with this fragrance. It's my go to for every day/event. I have to basically force myself to wear any other perfume now. I mainly get a musky incense with some amber and vanilla. I hopefully will never have to be without a bottle!

on 8/11/2010 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this for a steal on ebay and I have to admit I still love it. This type of perfume (obsession/opium) just have this warm enveloping scent that just makes me want to spray it and wrap up in a blanket and just keep sniffing myself lol, ok maybe TMI;) I can see how people would think of this as too retro, I too wore it to excess in high school but even with that said it still appeals to me. This bottle (1.7 Parfum) will last a while and I am sure it will take me years if ever to rebuy.

on 5/25/2010 12:17:00 PM

This fragrance does not smell the same now as it used to. It was reformulated and is much more chemical now than it was before. I loved it, but I don`t like it now. Old bottle had golden ring on a cap, and oldest bottles had spray-cap. New bottle is with dark brown plastic cap.

on 4/29/2010 1:05:00 AM

Obsession is a classic and classy sweet spicy oriental. It has monster sillage and must be used lightly. But if used lightly and properly, Obsession can be worn for almost any occasion. Dab lightly for work, daytime, church. A little heavier and you're ready for a night on the town. Apply quite heavily and you're likely to suffocate persons in your immediate vicinity.
The mandarin and bergamot combine with the jasmine in the top notes in a most intriguing way, giving off a little spicy mysterious aroma. Warm and inviting yet still cool and mysterious. The amber and oak moss bases give this scent depth and substance.
I highly recommend Obsession to lovers of spicy sweet oriental scents. Or to anyone tired of the current pandemic of generic white florals and fruity florals being offered up by the thousands these days.

on 4/6/2010 6:14:00 PM

I fell in love with this back in my teenage days and this was my go to scent for years. It had a deeper scent than the floral scents most of my classmates adored (and smelled a little woodsy to me) and that only made me love it even more as floral scents smell cheap and disgusting to me. The boys always seemed to genuinely love it and complimented me on it all the time (I can't say I blamed them since all the other girls and young women seemed to always smell like that damn Vanilla Fields which I always hated and thought it did not smell at all like vanilla! LOL).

Now here it is, upteen years later (13 or 14 years I think)... I recently realized I haven't been wearing perfume often at all and wanted to get back to wearing it... And realized this smell, though it smells exactly the same as it always did, now smells, well, HORRIBLE to me. Let's be honest and blunt, shall we... It's too damn strong, a bit too sweet, the smell invokes a headache for me now, and if one more person asks me if I'm wearing Obsession (because EVERYONE recognizes the smell of it), I think I'm going to scream. LOL I have a little left, but doubt I'll ever manage to finish the bottle because EW. I suppose my nose matured too much over the years to enjoy the smell any longer. I can say one good thing about this fragrance though (okay, so this is only a GOOD thing if you LIKE the smell) and that is that it lasts and lasts and lasts. One spray, ladies. Just one. And even then I'd recommend doing one spray out in front of you and walking through the mist because this is STRONG and it DOES NOT wear off. (Hell. it takes about an hour for just one spray to die down enough so it doesn't smell like you tried to drown yourself in a damn vat of it and I thought that even back when I was a teeniebopper! LOL)

Oh, and I agree 100% with the reviewer who pointed out the bottle is fugly. I gave it a 3 on package quality for that reason. The bottle is nice quality as far as spraying well, not feeling like cheap plastic or anything, but it's so damn fugly I had to take two away on packaging for that.

Popular Fragrances