Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 12/31/2010 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

How strange. This has to have been reformulated since it was first released. I wore Obsession back in the 80's when it was first released and I remember a deep spicy warm fragrance that had other's asking me what fragrance I had on every day that I wore it.

Not this Obsession. I tested and at first I had a explosion of "green". That is okay because I waited for the spice and warmth of the dry down. It never came. I had about 2 solid minutes of a cinnamony like spice but it wasn't quite cinnamon.

The a dry down to something non biological. Like another member here said "something plastic" "melted burnt plastic".

Decidely unpleasant. This is not the Obession that I remember and I highly encourage anyone who is interested in this fragrance to do a tester and wear it all day before purchase. I won't be buying this fragrance.

on 12/5/2010 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried to find something to like about the one but just don't get it. A pleasant scent, but a big yawn nonetheless. Everyone and their dog seems to be wearing it which goes to show you that a frenzy of advertising can sell almost anything. Probably my chemistry, but after the drydown, I seem to pick up something synthetic, like melted plastic.

I view it as a poor woman's version of Anne Pliska, which is one of the classiest fragrances around.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Has no presence or complexity on me. I spray it and smell a syrupy-sweet sandalwood for a few moments, then nothing for the rest of the day unless I stick my nose right into wherever it was sprayed. Boring. I hoped for more, as warm, sweet Orientals are usually great on me.

on 10/18/2010 11:01:00 PM

This was my first real-deal perfume. I first got it when I was 16 and wore it for maybe 4 years after. However my tastes in perfume changed vastly and I didn't enjoy the strong woody/oriental scent I once did. Unfortunately now it does give me a headache, but for anyone new to oriental fragrances you can't go wrong with Obsession.

on 9/19/2010 2:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A girl who sat in front of me in biology in High School used to wear this. I used to sit behind her and just inhale her scent for an hour everyday (i'm a hetero-girl for reference..). I asked her what perfume she always wore and she said "Obsession". Anything by Calvin Klein was WAY out of my price range at that time, so when I found a Designer Impostor's "dupe" called "Ostentation" I was beside myself. Turns out it didn't quite measure up and I ended up having to sit at the back of the room because I gave the girl behind ME a headache. Lesson learned.. Spring for the real deal.

This is the best. "Obsession" is an intense and womanly oriental scent. Incredibly heady. A little goes a long way. It's unbelievable. Do yourself a favour- Pick this one up.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for vintage Obsession--before the CK brand was bought out (first by Unilever, then by Coty Prestige). I was lucky enough to get an ounce of the pure parfum at an estate sale, and to my delight the scent was still fresh and brought back a wave of great memories. It's smooth, vanillic, rounded, and intensely sexual, with marvelous cola-like tonka and cinnamon notes, and a citrus-bergamot opener that tempers the underlying sweetness. I find some similarities here with Shalimar, but Obsession relinquishes the strong vanilla in Shalimar to a cooler, spicier base reminiscent of Arabian attar oils (Jannat-al-Ferdous comes to mind in particular). It's definitely not a scent for wallflowers, and it will wear YOU unless judiciously applied, but there's a reason Obsession was a runaway hit 25 years ago and continues to be sold like hotcakes today. There's just no other oriental fragrance like it, and I find it delicious and extremely sexy.

If you love orientals, I highly encourage you to purchase older stock of Obsession (mini parfums and EDPs can be had on eBay) and give it a whirl. The current reformulation, available only in EDP and manufactured by Coty Prestige, is thin and sour by comparison and bears only surface resemblance to the masterpiece of the vintage version. (The new version comes in an egg-shaped bottle with brown plastic cap, whereas the older versions came in a wide, flat bottle and/or had a gold band around the cap.)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am so in love with this fragrance. It's my go to for every day/event. I have to basically force myself to wear any other perfume now. I mainly get a musky incense with some amber and vanilla. I hopefully will never have to be without a bottle!

on 8/11/2010 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this for a steal on ebay and I have to admit I still love it. This type of perfume (obsession/opium) just have this warm enveloping scent that just makes me want to spray it and wrap up in a blanket and just keep sniffing myself lol, ok maybe TMI;) I can see how people would think of this as too retro, I too wore it to excess in high school but even with that said it still appeals to me. This bottle (1.7 Parfum) will last a while and I am sure it will take me years if ever to rebuy.

on 5/25/2010 12:17:00 PM

This fragrance does not smell the same now as it used to. It was reformulated and is much more chemical now than it was before. I loved it, but I don`t like it now. Old bottle had golden ring on a cap, and oldest bottles had spray-cap. New bottle is with dark brown plastic cap.

on 4/29/2010 1:05:00 AM

Obsession is a classic and classy sweet spicy oriental. It has monster sillage and must be used lightly. But if used lightly and properly, Obsession can be worn for almost any occasion. Dab lightly for work, daytime, church. A little heavier and you're ready for a night on the town. Apply quite heavily and you're likely to suffocate persons in your immediate vicinity.
The mandarin and bergamot combine with the jasmine in the top notes in a most intriguing way, giving off a little spicy mysterious aroma. Warm and inviting yet still cool and mysterious. The amber and oak moss bases give this scent depth and substance.
I highly recommend Obsession to lovers of spicy sweet oriental scents. Or to anyone tired of the current pandemic of generic white florals and fruity florals being offered up by the thousands these days.

Popular Fragrances