August 23, 2014 | 1084 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am really disappointed in this product.It looks awesome for a short time, the orange brassiness. The color fades into brassiness after like 3-7 days. I used Medium Ash Brown and it's happened 3-4 times, so never again. I also tried the Dark Brown which just turned my hair black and then washed out in 3-4 weeks.
The fade and brassiness are ridiculous considering I only shampoo my hair once a week tops.
The packaging is pretty good, it's no more smells than other similarly priced brands and the conditioner it comes with is nice,

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by crazycookiegal

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using Preference for 3 years now. My natural color is some medium between dark blonde and light brown. I started with blonde and now I'm auburn. The blonde I used for 2 years was Medium Golden Blonde; this one didn't damage my hair that badly despite lightening it, didn't have any problem with roots or anything, and it didn't fade at all.

Then the past summer I used Medium Copper Brown. This turned my hair a nice warm brown with gold-red tones, especially in the sun. Since I dyed over dyed-blonde hair, it faded to a ginger-y color, but when I re-dyed it the next couple of times it stuck.

Then I felt like going a bit redder and darker, so I used Dark Auburn. This is my favorite out of all of them, though my roots are a lighter red than the rest since those were light brown/dark blonde and the rest had already been dyed brown. In normal light, it's a warm reddish brown, and in the sun or in other light it has a beautiful red tone to it. The combination of red and dark looks amazing with my light green eyes.

I'm definitely never leaving this product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been on a red head kick this last year and have tried both RPO6 Intense Red and RPO7 Intense Red Copper from this line. I truly like the intense colour results and decent longevity of wear as red does fade fast. I also like that this product is readily available, often goes on sale and I can find coupons to save additional money. What I don't appreciate about this kit is the ridiculous cheap gloves included and the formula is pretty running. I overcome both obstacles by purchasing my own gloves and I use extra caution when applying the drippy formula then cover my saturated hair with a plastic bag to contain the drips/mess. I personally do like the colour achieved as intense reds I find hard to come by at a drugstore. I do plan on trying a few more options, but I would also repurchase either of these shades again. Just a side note too, I find the Intense Red (RPO6) appears quite dark and almost burgundy for the first week, but does gradually fade into a more reddish toned colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by reesagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I usually dye my hair myself, mostly dark brown because it's easy and matches my hair and I can't mess it up too bad. I have used several different brands, vacilating between Garnier and L'oreal mostly as the others I tried fried my hair. I decided to try something more vibrant this round, and chose 4M, Dark Mahogany. Since my hair has some slight reddish tones to it, I thought it would enhance that part and be a nice dark reddish brown. I was right! The color was not quite as red as I thought it would be but it was a gorgeous shiny color and my hair felt great! Also I love the HUGE tube of weekly conditioner with it, the conditioner is awesome. I wish I could just buy that by itself!!!! My husband even commented that it made my blue eyes glow, so I know this is a great look! Definitely a keeper!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2011 6:12:00 PM More reviews by SueMaine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this is ultra light ash brown its the les true brunettes but i couldn't find it so i decided to do a review in here. so my hair is naturally medium brown but i've been dying it light brown forever. A couple of weeks ago i bought garnier natural medium brown or something to go a shade darker but it turned my hair JET BLACK. it looked disgusting and made me look so washed out. i tried everything to get it out, prell, laundry detergent, vitamin c, color oops, all of it and it was still dark so i decided why not and went out and bought this, i just dyed my hair and wow i really do love it. it's the perfect light brown with just a little hint of gold not orange in the least. my one qualm is that the ends of my hair are still pretty dark but oh well ill just wait for them to fade. i would DEFINITELY purchase this again! much cheaper than going to a salon or bleaching which i thought about a lot, so glad i didn't!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by sharmilaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

Color in review: 8G Golden Blonde. Absolutely gorgeous color. The problem i have is that the consistency of the product is very runny and get's difficult to use on the bottom hair especially if it is long.My hair was lightened a bit to a light brown before i used this. So for brunettes with medium brown hair it will work & if you donot get the color in the first try donot give up use this again once or twice to get to the color you want.
Make sure you use a color care shampoo as i feel this color doesnot stay long enough on atleast my dark hair & may come out on washing with shampoo. For dark black hair if you bleach your hair for about 20 -23 mins and then use this color you will get a beautiful caramel golden color. Please make sure to use 2 boxes for long hair . Hope that helps :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2011 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ladyofshalott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used this hair colour about 5-6 times. I colour my hair every 3-4 weeks. I have blonde hair and I was colouring my hair red, my roots were showing up super fast and the red would fade, so I would re-colour it. I noticed that my hair started to get SUPER SUPER crunchy and dry. Parts of my hair started to break off. I have a feeling that this may have been the culprit. I use to use a different brand of hair colour (same deal, colour every 3-4 weeks) for almost 2 years without any problems. I think that there is something in this hair colour that is not good for my hair. It's been almost 6 weeks since the last time I used this hair colour. My hair is still crunchy in some areas, but it is slowly getting better.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2011 11:33:00 AM More reviews by flaxgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I decided to try the 6 1/2 G Lightest Golden Brown color instead of my usual L'Oreal Creme 6BB. First problem is that this did not cover my gray effectively (which the Creme does). Second, this smelled terrible -- very strong ammonia odor. Third, this formula dried out my hair significantly. I'm going to need to do some treatments to get my hair back to its shiny self. Ladies, buy the Creme formula instead!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by kinkaju

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I realize all hair dye stinks, but this really knocked my socks off. My eyes really burned and I tried to hold my breath because breathing this stuff in was awful. I even went outside onto my porch to finish the application, hoping the open air would help with the fumes, but it didn't help much. I left the dye on for about ten minutes and had to shower and rinse it all off because I couldn't stand the stink or the tingling scalp anymore and I started to get freaked out. So I can't comment on the results. Maybe I'm just super sensitive, or a big baby, but using this product was so unpleasant I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by calanthe

I was going from brown to blonde; I had an inch of light brown/grey roots and six inches of dyed brown growth. I bleached twice with 30 vol. developer and my hair was still orange with yellow roots. I was debating cutting my losses and going to the salon, and going ahead and toning with the Preference Ash Blonde. I went ahead and used the L'oreal and it looks amazing! There isn't even a line of demarcation between my roots and growth; this evened everything out and gave me that nice ashy, champagne blonde. I let it develop for 45 minutes, though, and I think the packaging actually says 30 min. max, so don't expect to get blonde results on brown hair with this unless you pre-lighten. This is a great toner for bleached blonde hair. My hair also felt very soft and conditioned after rinsing and conditioning. I will use this again and again!