Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.7

on 9/20/2011 6:25:00 PM

This stuff has saved me twice now from awful professional colors. If you read the box carefully and complete the full rinse cycle, it works perfectly. The box is clear that it will not work for very dark or solid colors. I have a strawberry blonde natural color that stylists keep turning deep brunette instead of pumping up the red. After three "fixes" I just used this instead and it worked perfectly.

It is VERY important that you complete the full rinse time. It's a looooong time to sit under the shower so just plop down in the tub and go to your happy place. Use a kitchen timer since 20 minutes feels way longer than you would "guess".

It does stink but I guess that's the price we pay for bad color :)

on 9/9/2011 2:38:00 PM

I just used it last night before dinner.YES,it's smelly, but I had about 5 different dyes on my super long hair. (waist lenght). My natural hair is light brown, in the last year I dyed it
-RUBY RED (LOREAL BY FERIA) in February.
After a month I covered it with some brown shade that turned dark red.
Went to the salon and paid a friend to fix it before my wedding, I wanted Chocolate brown but she couln't get it other shade than dark auburn :(

I dyed it with herbashine DARK GOLDEN BROWN around May. Turned black for a couple weeks. Washed out a bit but the bottom half of my hair had black/dark red strikes and some strikes of a lighter shade that looked bleached.

I bought Garnier Nutrisse Hair Color: 60 Acorn - Light Natural Brown and it only grabbed to the top of my hair again and the bottom was still dark.

I decided to use COLOR OOPS that I bought a while ago but was too afraid at first. One box was enought for my long hair (straight and not so thin). I think it looks kind of cool actually but I still want a chocolate brwon so I'll let my hair rest for 2 weeks before applying HERBASHINE again.

on 8/24/2011 5:44:00 PM

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Read the WHOLE review!

So I dyed my hair Soft Black with ColorSilk by Revlon. That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's just too dark on me. And no, this wasn't the first time I've dyed my hair black and hated it.

I saw this stuff on the shelf and bought it, thinking it was a bleach kit, since that's what I figured I'd need and read the ingredients when I got home....OH NO! It wasn't bleach! I though NO WAY is this stuff going to do diddly on my dyed black hair.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!! Not only did it get rid of the black....but unlike bleach, it left it this BEAUTIFUL coppery strawberry blonde!!! I'm NOT joking...I don't even need to re dye it. And the color is even and great! I'm SHOCKED and a CONVERT. It's not my natural color, but it looks great on me!

My only problem is how to get my hair this awesome color when it starts to grow out. :D

EDIT!!!
So I went to dye my hair...I picked a light auburn brown and used a 30 volume developer. MY HAIR IS BLACK AGAIN!!! Apparently this color oops just shrinks the dye molecules and then they just COME BACK or get REACTIVATED when you re-dye your hair! :p THIS SUCKS.

IF YOU DYED YOUR HAIR BLACK.....BLEACH IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OUT. Sorry folks!

on 8/15/2011 2:15:00 PM

I decided to color my hair dark brown but to my dismay came out Black . My brother went out the next to buy Color Oops after reading really good reviews . I followed the steps very carefully and the color came out perfectly ! My hair is just a tiny bit darker than my normal color but that is okay .

The worst part about the product was the HORRIBLE smell of sulfur . However , it was a small price to pay for the great job it did .

on 8/4/2011 8:05:00 AM

After dying my naturally dark brown hair, well, dark brown to get rid of summer highlights that brought out an orangey color from a past bad salon job, I ended up with black hair. (I used the brand new John Freida foam in black-brown, so I guess I should've known it would turn black.) I have tan skin and brown eyes, but it still looked too jarring and unnatural with my face...especially since my hair is short and falls right around my cheeks...not a good look. I almost chopped off my hair to get back to my natural color quicker, but then I read all about Color Oops. I was desperate to eliminate the harshness of the black, so I went out and paid the $14.99 at CVS. The smell wasn't as bad as everyone said. It smells less harsh than a perm. My husband didn't even notice the smell when he got home from work. The rinsing was the worst. I ended up sitting in my shower so I didn't pass out around the 15 minute mark, because I was starting to feel woozy. After all the steps were complete, my hair was a rich brown color, but with a slight orangey-red look to it. The color is even throughout--no brass roots, etc, but I really wish my hair was just brown without the red stuff. (Don't get me wrong...when I say orangey-red, it's BARELY there and predominantly brown.) I read in a review below that a toner can take the oranges and reds out, so I MIGHT try that. All said and done, I prefer my Color Oops color far over the too harsh black. It is less jarring and stands out far less than the black. Now, if I could just get back to my natural brown, I'd never touch hair color again! p.s. My hair is in just fine shape after the Color Oops...perhaps because I don't use many heating tools and don't usually dye my hair. It's healthy still.

on 5/24/2011 1:14:00 PM

A few months ago, I tried to dye my hair dark brown but it turned out jet black. I liked it during the winter months but wanted to go lighter during the summer so I tried Color Oops. My hair is longer and thick so I bought 2 boxes for approx. $20. After the treatment, my hair was all strawberry blonde, which was great because my plan was to use a light brown color next. Unfortunately, four days have passed and now my hair is dark, dark brown again...except the roots, which are orange! I have to assume that by only rinsing for 15 minutes instead of the whole 20-30 minutes, I didn't allow it to work as well. I plan to pick up another box and do it right tonight. Hopefully, it will remove the color for good this time!

This product was great. My hair was dyed medium brown over my bleached hair. I then decided I wanted my hair pink, so I bleached it, and the bleach turned it more-so a dark blonde, so the pink didn't take very well and I wasn't pleased. So I used Color Oops today, only left it on for 20 minutes, washed it out, and my hair is now a very nice shade of dark blonde. I'll be bleaching/redying it pink soon. I'm super pleased with Color Oops. And it doesn't smell as bad as everyone says... kinda smells like a nail salon. Either way, this stuff saved my hair's butt.

on 5/9/2011 7:33:00 PM

It left my hair in the worst condition ever ! didn't do much to the color....

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Worked as promised! Lifted semi permanent color while leaving my hair looking great.

on 5/4/2011 9:30:00 PM

After many years of ill-advised hair colors, I decided to let my natural color (light golden brown) grow out, and kept it that way for about five years. But last week, for some reason, I got a bug up my ass to dye my hair again. BAD PLAN. A box of "medium auburn" (lies!!) dye turned my beautiful hair a dark, dark burgundy color. Ugh, it was terrible. In a moment of panic I ran out and got a box of "light amber brown" dye to try and fix it - of course it did nothing, since it couldn't make my hair lighter. I resigned myself to living with the horror my boredom had wrought until I spied a box of Color Oops at the drugstore. A friend had had success with it, and after reading a million reviews online, I decided to try it - couldn't be any worse, right?

I did a strand test beforehand, which is VERY important with this - the directions recommend 20 minutes, but I found that after just 10 minutes it left the strand I tested it on a little lighter than I wanted. So when I finally took the plunge, I only left it on for 8 minutes. If I'd just gone ahead and done the 20 minutes recommended by the directions, I'm pretty sure my hair would be a horrible bleachy orange blonde right now. STRAND TEST!!

Anyway, yes, this stuff stinks. It's awful. It smells like you're smearing your head with rotting sewage. But it's not unbearable. And it's more difficult to apply than hair dye, because it's much thinner. I have very fine, shoulder-length hair, so I didn't even need to use the entire bottle, but I can see people with longer/thicker hair needing more to get it fully saturated. Once my hair was soaked in it, I put on the little cap and let it sit for 8 minutes. When my timer went off, I checked the mirror - my roots were almost blonde. Horror! I jumped in the shower and washed my hair immediately, then rinsed for 15 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, then deep conditioned and rinsed for another couple of minutes. Truthfully, the rinsing is the worst part. You want the water hot, and you're in there for a LONG time. I started to feel sick after a while, and pre-conditioning my hair felt horrible, like matted straw.

When I got out, I wrapped it up in a towel and let it air dry for a while, then checked out the results. IT WORKED. It's not back to my natural color, exactly, but it's a damn sight closer. It's like my natural light brown, but with a bit more red in it. I was afraid my roots would be super super light, but while they are a bit lighter, they're not the scary blonde I was expecting. My hair feels a bit dry and my scalp feels kind of weird, but I think that's really 50% Color Oops and 50% standing under a piping hot shower for 30 minutes and washing my hair 5 times in a row. It's a rough process - nothing I'm eager to repeat - but it was worth it, because it got rid of the dreadful dark dye and brought me a lot closer to my natural color without having to resort to bleach. I know a lot of people need to re-dye afterward to cover up the results of Color Oops, which is understandable, but I don't - probably because I had virgin hair before my dye disaster. And while I do feel like it damaged my hair a little bit, I do have very fine hair to start with, and it's nothing a few good conditioning treatments won't fix.

So that's my experience with Color Oops. Unpleasant but effective in your hair's time of need. I'd use it again if I needed to, but I think I've learned my lesson for now.