Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Foundation

3.4

on 10/29/2010 9:55:00 AM

I didn't really care for the mineral veil. I've tried the regular mineral veil and also the hydrating mineral veil because I have dry skin. I generally like most Bare Escentuals products, but I just didn't like this very much. I used it as a finishing powder but I feel that it really didn't do anything for me. Also, the hydrating mineral veil did not hydrate my skin at all. They both kinda made me look paler than what I am and it also didn't last long. I think it's a pretty useless product and have since switched to MUFE HD microfinishing powder which I LOVE!!

on 9/5/2010 6:28:00 AM

I really didn't like this as a finishing powder. I use the BE matte foundation and concealer on a daily basis. Tried to add this to my daily makeup routine but it looks strange on me. It's supposed to be translucent, but somehow my face gets a weird white cast whenever I apply this over my foundation. Don't think it's my application, since I use a mineral kabuki brush and an light hand to apply this after foundation. Also, I usually do get shiny after a couple hours, and this did nothing to control shine or minimize the look of my pores. I'll admit, It did make my face look a little smoother or "finished." But IMO, my makeup without this veil over it looks a lot more natural-looking and nicer. For the record, I'm on the golden/fair side. But I'm not the only one with this problem.. my friend who is on the tanner/medium side gets the same white cast in photos. Still on the search for another finishing powder.. but I def. won't repurchase this.

on 8/16/2010 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This was my first BE product (bought the starter kit) and I will definitely be repurchasing! Prior to Bareminerals, I was using Physician's Formula Talc-Free Loose Powder, and that product looked cakey on my face and irritated it during application. Bare Minerals applies great and the brushes that come with the kit aren't bad either. This product gives me a nice natural look, but doesn't cover as much imperfections than a liquid foundation and concealer, but hey, my face is looking natural, so it's a plus! Application can be messy, so apply it in the bathroom where the flyaway powder is easy to clean up.

on 8/13/2010 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I began using Bare Escentuals in 2006. (I was one month shy of my 45th birthday) I'd seen the infomercials and wanted to try it, but never did until 2006 when I tried my niece's foundation/mineral veil. My first attempt was a bad one! TOO MUCH product was used. I tried a second time and I fell in LOVE with the look. Being a makeup junkie, and nearly 45 at this time, I had tried nearly every product out there, from cheap to over the top expensive. I have dry skin, some fine lines and when I moisturize and use a primer (I have several) B.E. accentuates my fine lines no more than any liquid/cream makeup (which I always had to set with a powder) did. For the first time since my 20's people began saying to me "OMG your skin is beauuuuuuuuutiful" as opposed to "Wow, I love the way your makeup looks." Or "Your makeup looks great." There is definitely a learning curve with B.E. I am not a fan of the moisturizers, but I like the cleanser okay. I've switched to the oil cleansing method, so no need for the cleanser, really. I don't have a problem at all with the minerals clouding up or getting everywhere. The packaging could be better because the minerals do get into the top of the containers and a spill can be bad-but that goes for most liquid products, too. The eye shadows are fantastic- I have over 475 of those alone. (NO I don't work for B.E., but I wish I did!!) A little goes a longggg way, and one little pot of eye shadow lasts forever. I agree, not too great for travel, but I've found ways to get around the minerals piling up in the caps. I am not the biggest fan of B.E.'s brushes, unless it's the few that are synthetic. Many of the face brushes irritate my skin and feel scratchy. I prefer softer, synthetic brushes that don't hold onto too much of the product. That, and product packaging, are my 2 gripes about B.E. I hate how they say you can never use too much Mineral Veil- cos you can! Mineral Veil is my least favorite product, aside from the non-essential, special brush cleansers. Use a gentle, cheap shampoo and you're good to go. All in all, my skin has never looked better. I also love Smashbox Halo, and alternate using B.E. foundation & SH. I LOVE B.E. and doubt I'll ever quit using it. At least now they have a much better color selection, and the foundation packaging is much better with the click and twist inside cover. They seriously need to make better brushes, and I hate their mascaras. Definite thumbs down. Love the blushes, radiances, eye shadow, just about everything except a rare few items. I find B.E. cost effective all in all since I don't need to use much product. I have broken capillaries around my nose and redness on my cheeks and B.E. covers that nicely without looking cakey. I like the Bisque concealer as well. I don't think this makeup is for everybody, as no makeup is. You must tailor to your needs. I'll close by saying that after about a year of using the foundation, I felt some itchiness when I would sweat, but when I switched to synthetic brushes, that stopped. Since they now offer a matte foundation, those who don't care for the more dewy, glowing look have the matte option without having to use the mineral veil-which I found to be a useless step--and I also find that my makeup routine time is no longer than it ever was.

EDIT: Something has changed with Bare Escentuals' foundation. It really used to be nice and glowy, but now the original formula is dull and powdery in its finish. I gave this foundation up for Colorescience mineral foundation. Huge thumbs down to B.E. for a negative change in the milling or whatever they did to change a good foundation into one I won't buy again. :(

on 7/28/2010 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Was excited about this product until i tried it. This is not good if you have dry skin! (powders in general arent great if you have dry skin, i learned that the hard way). It was expensive and the packaging was annoying. The only thing i liked about this product were the brushes. Also, the primer didnt work. It caused irrtation and it felt greasy on my skin. In the end, it was a waste of money.

on 7/20/2010 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I bought the Mineral Veil for my oily skin. Unfortunately, my skin felt like it was burning+itchy when I used it. Even just a small amount of it would cause this reaction.

I stuck it out for a month as it's a bit expensive, but just gave up and sold the remains of the jar on ebay.

Worse than that - it seemed to give me clogged pores on my forehead which seem to be taking forever to clear up.

on 5/12/2010 12:20:00 AM

Although Mineral veil may leave my skin nice and semi matte when first applied after about 20 minutes I start to look dewy and if I look dewy in the morning I will look super shiny by noon. Overall may work for others but not for my combo skin (I have a very oily t zone)

This was one of the first MMU's I tried and I've never really liked it. This stuff actually accentuates pores, (I have some very small pores that are noticeable, but not a big problem and with this, this just makes them pop!), sinks into lines that I didn't know I was getting or have (I'm 26! This stuff makes me look older!) and looks cakey, not matter how little I use and how much "buffing" I do. Also, I hate the mineral veil. It's basically just cornstarch. Ew. THis stuff also bunches up within a few hours on my face and looks like it's melting off. I have combo skin that's usually more dry, and this just makes me look pretty greasy throughout the day, def. not a "glow". At first, I look cakey on application. Then, after 20min when it settles in, it looks decent, def. not perfect. Then 1 hour later, horrible! Not worth it! There are way better MMU's for half the price and that actually perform pretty good, but I have yet to find an HG MMU. I have considered just not searching anymore. The only reason I give this 2 stars is because the starter set I got came with two brushes that I actually really like and I always use, and warmth isn't all that bad. Plus, this stuff surprisingly doesn't make me breakout, like other mineral makeup can, I think because of the lower titanium dioxide amounts (has alot of bismuth oxychloride instead which can cause acne in others as well as allergies!) So far, I like EDM the best right now (but not in love with it). I also like mineral fusion, especially because of the sleek compact design! No mess! BUt it is pretty pricey and this does dry me out a bit (I think all MMU does!) and may be contributing to some acne (not really sure) EDM also does this which is why I'm not sure if I really want to continue using MMU. I just hate foundation and TM's. I'm gonna try out one last MMU and that will be it. And I'm also gonna try BB creams next. I'm hoping that will be my answer!!!
Edit: I still am not crazy about this stuff but I found every MMU out there (the ones Ive tried that is) break me out. This stuff doesn't. It does however irritate slightly (just some itchy skin, mostly if i get hot) I also have a hard time with TM's because of the sunscreen in them make my face burn!! I seriously can't win!! I did however recently try this again since it's been sitting on my bureau and used the tiniest amount and BE's primer )which I absolutely love!!) and wow, I was surprised!! It looked pretty good! So, I now know a little really does go a long way, and Im talking a tiny tiny bit!! Otherwise, it will look cakey and slide around on the face and highlight things you don't want highlighted. I finished with MUFE's HD powder and my tarte bronzer, and amazing!!!

on 4/30/2010 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

It looks great in pictures, covers up all my acne scars. However, it does tend to get cakey (believe me, I buff and buff). However, it is very light, my face feels very smooth and it really doesn't feel like you have makeup on! I've heard that MAC's fix + can be combined with this product, giving you that dewy look.

I picked the starter kit up at my local Shoppers and it came up to $84 CAD. Pricey, yes. But it came with two foundations, warmth, glee, the mineral veil and two brushes, so it wasn't that bad. They also gave me a $20 gas card. I've yet to breakout and there isn't any signs that I would (mind you my skin is very acne prone).

Because it's so light weight and doesn't break my skin out, I would probably purchase it again.

Nice finishing touch that gives a subtle glow to the face.