Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

on 9/12/2013 6:48:00 PM

You always want what you can't have. I'm a natural ash blonde and on a whim, I decided I wanted to be a red head. I paid a student at the Paul Mitchell school who in turn, gave me orange hair with neon green highlights. I was mortified. The next day, I ran to Walgreens and saw Color Oops for the first time. I tried it and the results weren't great, but better than it was before. My hair turned BRIGHT golden blonde (golds aren't good on me. I have cool undertones). BUT, the green and orange were gone. A few hours later I applied Wella T10 toner and got my natural shade back. Whew!

on 9/6/2013 11:26:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am really impressed with this stuff. A few weeks ago I bleached my brown hair to a coppery blond, then the next day dyed it bright red. All it took was one bottle for my almost-shoulder length hair to go from the ugly faded red, to the bleach blond it was before. There are still yellowy tones in it, but one box of ash blond will fix that! Oh, and it smells pretty foul, so be sure to spray some air freshener/purfume/incense to counteract the funk!

on 9/4/2013 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Like most people, I was afraid to try this. All I could think of was my hair looking patchy and uneven. I watched you tube videos and read message boards and decided to first try removing the dye with vitamin c. Basically taking vitamin c powder or crystals, some people even used vitamin c capsules and crushed them, and added it to shampoo. I used about a quarter of a cup of crystals and enough shampoo (doesn't matter what kind) making enough to cover my hair wrapped it in a plastic shower cap for about 45 minutes and rinsed. I did this three times which completely removed the last dye I used in my hair. My auburn hair was now very light brown. Still I wasn't satisfied so I used the maximum strength color oops. My hair is long but thin and one box was enough to cover everything. And yeah the smell. Like rotten fruit and farts. Mixed put on hair and covered with two plastic shower caps just for a little more heat. 20 minutes later I was left with this really pretty honey blonde. My hair was completely even just a bit dry. It took years of dye out because its been a long time since I've seen blonde. Worked better than I thought it would. I would suggest vitamin c first just to help your hair along. Also, depending on the quality of the dye you use also makes a difference. I only use box dye so maybe that stuff comes out easier. If you usually get your hair colored at a salon, you may need to do this more than once.

This product works great if you follow the directions exactly. I'm an idiot and I didn't rinse my hair out as long as I should have, because even though my hair was super light after the Color Oops had processed, the color seemed to come back some after I finished showering.

It didn't smell as awful as I had expected while applying, but once it rinsed out it smelled way worse. Also, it made my sink drain smell like rotten egg farts for like four days. I didn't even rinse my hair in the sink either, I must have leaked some drops down the drain or something while applying.

While I think it's extremely important to deep condition after using this, I can't really speak to how this effected the condition of my hair, since my hair felt dried out beforehand because of all the failed Dawn dish soap/Head and Shoulders/Vitamin C/baking soda washes I did. For reference though, in the future, I would definitely skip the extreme shampooing and just go straight for a color remover. Before going straight back to the Color Oops though, I'd probably hit up Sally's Beauty supply and see what kind of color removers they have. Possibly one that doesn't require a 20 minute rinse (I live in a one bedroom apartment with a crappy little water heater so me hot water runs out pretty quickly).

I think it's worth noting that this only removes permanent dyes, nothing that sits on top of the follicle (semis and demis like manic panic). Also, if you're considering using this, you should definitely read the FAQ page on their website, it's pretty informative.

on 6/19/2013 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Worked great. Used it on my level 6 brown hair (that also had highlights in)
Hair looks like a dark strawberry blonde now. In a week I will dye it with Level 8 Ash Blonde to tone it down a bit, but it looks nice enough to leave a while.
Did a protein treatment after (Redken Extreme) and then a moisturizing conditioner in my hair overnight and my hair feels as good as new today, no damage.

on 6/3/2013 11:17:00 AM

History:
Naturally dark blonnde hair that had been bleached to a nice platinum blonde by my stylist.
After a few months of being superr blonde I got bored (big mistake) and decided to go back to my natural hair color. I bought a protein filler and dyed it with Feria deep burgandy...HUGE MISTAKE!!! I looked horrible. I had smething that came up so I didnt have time for color oops. After 3 days I finally had the time and did a strand test...came out great...my platinum was back so I preceded to do my whole head. Throughout it looked like it was working great.
After preocessing and following the long rince and shampoo directions I got out of the showered and I now have a horrid orange color head of hair.
No visible damage and feels fine but the worst color.
I will be going to my colorist to have her fix it. I will never use Feria color or color oops again!!!
I had watched mant video on youtube and read reviews who had great results but my story doesn't end so happy.
Now I have to pay to have it fixed.
So all in all even the strand test did not show the result in the end.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So, I have been dying my hair for about four years now. I mostly dye it red, but there has been black-brown and other colors thrown in the mix.
The other day I purchased Clairol Foam hair color. I had used the dark auburn color before in the regular version and loved it. However the foam color turned my hair BLACK. I was horrified. I immediately went and bought Color Oops.

My main advice is to follow the directions carefully. You need to work quickly because it doesn't maintain it's deoxidizing power for longer than 20 minutes. Also, be aware that it is very liquidy, like the consistency of water. And yes, it SMELLS. My hair and entire upstairs smelled of sulfur.
However, after shampooing and rinsing my hair with HOT water multiple times for about 15 minutes, I was happy to find the black was gone. Not only that, but 4 years of hair dye was gone too, which I did not expect!! I am back to my beautiful auburn hair that I have been wishing I never dyed in the first place.

After using this, be aware that your hair will be very brittle. It will feel stiff, as those you just got out of a clorinated pool. I highly advise soaking your hair with coconut oil overnight and washing it out in the morning. I did this and my hair feels as good as new.
Also, if you plan on dying your hair immediately after usage make sure to only leave the dye on for 5 minutes, as per the Color Oops instructions. Your newly stripped hair will be very porous and soak up hair more quickly than normal.

on 5/21/2013 9:48:00 PM

Fantastic stuff. Used a light (hebashine) golden brown semi-perm color on my highlighted, hair and it turned copper. I tried prell and the olive oil method. Nothing worked. I googled "hair dye remover" and Opps came up. Went to cvs and bought it immediately. Followed directions mostly on-point. Did the rinse for only 10min. Hair came out yellowish golden blonde. Way better than a rusted penny! Great product. Efficient.

on 5/15/2013 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Like it seems like so many others on here- I'm a natural strawberry blond who has spent the last 10 years dyeing my hair. I was platinum blond for a few years, then added some red back in, then went super red, then back to what I THOUGHT was my natural strawberry blond. When the red faded to blond, my hair looked flat and dull, and I just thought that was how my natural color looked now that I'm older. So, I continued to color it to brighter orange/coppers to add some dimension and eventually went dark brown. Loved the dark brown for awhile as it made my blue eyes pop, but as time went on, I yearned to be back to my natural strawberry blonde again. My stylist told me she could take me there gradually. Not good enough for me!! Plus, I just knew any salon solution would involve bleach, which is a major no-no for me.

Based on all these reviews, I bought two boxes of Color Oops ($15/apiece) My hair is fine, straight, and a little past the collarbone. As I HAD used Clairol Nice N Easy Root Touch-Up a cpl of months ago (had been colored by salon since then), I was freaking out a bit... I'd read up on dyes with "metallic salts" and that was one that was named as a possible culprit. Did a strand test, and though I ended up just notting the strands up and not being able to tell the color they turned, they didn't seem to smoke or have a reaction, so I decided to take my chances. I put on the first application and left it for 20 minutes. After, I proceeded to vigorously scrub under the kitchen sink for the allotted 20 mins, using a cheap sulfate shampoo at least 5x, and focusing on my darker, more porous ends. I then put on a deep conditioning mask for another 20 minutes. Washed it out, dried my hair, and observed I was a couple of shades lighter... a light, reddish brown (think Kate Mara). Went to bed, woke up, and was elated to see color had not darkened at all! However, there were a few splotchy spots (same hairs that were darker even when I had dark hair), and though I could live with it... I decided to go for another round. Followed the procedure the same exact way, although I only rinsed for 17 mins (felt like I was going to pass out from the heat in my bathroom). After drying my hair, I realized that my hair is ALMOST the same color as my natural... and with a vibrancy I hadn't seen since before I colored it the first time! Never thought it could look like this again!! It could probably stand a little toning, but I'm not touching it. I'm just going to let it grow out from here... not gonna risk losing this color again!

Yay, Color Oops!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So it smells & is a tad drying, a little over 13 dollars at my local CVS but it works wonders wish I knew about this years ago. First of all I would like to start with my stats. I have over processed hair. I been coloring my hair for years & years now. My hair is naturally dry & frizzy & all the years of coloring I am lucky to have hair left. I had blonde hair than professional turned it red started coloring it red on my own then professionally got it blonde & started bleaching it by myself turning my hair white over time but after so much bleaching my once long locks literally dried off. So I stupidly decided to go red again. & it again turned an unnatural red. My hair was red from Manic Panic & had colored my roots with Loreal Hilight Magenta with 10 developer. I kept it for awhile but I grew tried of it & asked a professional to help me go to a dark ginger color. My hair being so vibrate we thought it to be impossible. I read long & hard into Color Oops, researching & looking up all the reviews I could. I didn't want my hair white again just faded. I tired using Clarifying Shampoo it only lightened my ends to an ugly grayish pink color. So I decided what the heck why not use some Color Oops? I studied the directions & knowing about the smell I opened my windows & had a candle going. I prepped my hair the day before deep conditioning it. I smothered my hair in the product, capped my hair off & sat on the floor as my darling boyfriend held the blow dryer to my capped off hair on low heat & power for 20 minutes. Automatically my ends were a goldish orangish color but my roots were still red, I kept my cool knowing the shampooing part was the most important. I flipped my head & hair into the sink & both myself & my boyfriend vigorously scrubbed my hair for 20 full minutes then again for a finally five my whole head was the goldish orange color all but for but the very roots behind my ears & back of my neck which were a light pink. We missed scrubbing there, our faults. My hair didn't feel at all good at all but common sense tells you it wouldn't. I conditioned then I once again deep conditioned & my hair was pretty normal again, no damage or hair loss. My Hair Stylist was amazed at how well it turned out & that my hair felt fine I am now worry free, able to go ginger. I love this stuff I would recommend it to anyone.