August 21, 2014 | 1607 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by poutymouth

I joined Makeupalley after years of lurking to write this review. Color Oops is fantastic but the trick is DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DIRECTIONS.

Here's the scoop; I've had dyed black hair over naturally strawberry blonde hair for exactly one year. I bought two boxes of Color Oops and the first process I used the entire box. I let it sit on for ONE HOUR. Not twenty minutes, like the directions suggest. I washed it out and it was a reddish chestnut. My hair felt like silk. It was so clean and refreshed from ridding it of all of that 'colour buildup' that I had mistaken for damage. Next process was half the second bottle. Another hour. Definitely auburn red. Next process, another hour. Now, it wasn't by any means my colour before dying but it was an incredible inprovement. No damage. No bleach. No expensive salon trips for them to tell me to come back five times because it's impossible to do in one sitting. I'm so pleased. Highly recommend!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Qu33nB33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

With all the wonderful reviews on this people convinced me to try this Color Oops. I was hesitant because I was using it on dark dark brown almost black hair, but so had others so for SOME reason I had faith in this..OOPS! Let me just say I followed the direction EXACTLY how I was suppose to, and this product did NOTHING! Actually it was worse than nothing I would have preferred nothing to happen. But instead I got brassy orange-y roots (but I know it's bound to be an ugly color) with almost no color removal past the first 2 inches from my roots! I am left with 3 different colors of roots and blackish red for the rest. I am NOT pleased. The ONLY PRO of this was it did not damage my hair at all, and that is a very big pro so for that reason I give 2 lippies because if you have LIGHTER hair I would recommend but never for dark dark hair.
EDIT:I decided to use it a second time-because what am I gonna do leave my hair 3 different color? NO! so 2nd time again did VERY MINIMAL stripping. I had left some product in the bottle luckily so a 3RD yea thats right 3RD time doing it FINALLY got me to a dark brown. My hair is more damaged than before but nothing deep condition can't fix, but really? 3x? There has to be something better out there!
EDIT: Gave it one more shot doing it a 4th and 5th time (I know your not suppose to but my hair was healthy enough) and it did get it to a decent color so for that i will give it a 3, it took FOREVER to get here but it did it so 3 it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by aylasafford16

I must say I'm both impressed and also let down. I read all the reviews on Color OOPS and I was super excited to get it. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and I've dyed it more times than I can count. I've had dark red, bright red, bleach blonde, purple, pink, blue, black (like 10 times) orange, silver.. You name it. It didn't leave any damage on my hair which I'm thankful for considering how damaged it was already! I put it in, followed the directions to a tee, and rinsed like a madwoman. My bangs and top half of my hair are a nice golden blonde and the rest is a light red color. I'm a little disappointed that it's not all the same color, but then again I did only buy one box ($13 at Walgreens) I'm definitely gonna buy another box once I get the money. I'm a little let down, however, about how little of it it got. But my hair is suuuuper messed up and suuuuper thick so it was to be expected.
Also, regarding the smell. It's smells a lot like burning rubber, masked underneath a citrusy smell. It's not as bad as I was expecting though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by melaniespringsteen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HI! So I naturally have strawberry blonde hair and have dyed it red shades over the years. A couple of years ago, I dyed it rich medium brown (which turned out WAY darker than what I'd hoped). When that finally faded I put in another couple of red shades. My roots have been growing in and I missed my strawberry blonde hair and started to wish I hadn't touched it. So I did research about this product. Tried it and I'm blonde again!! I haven't seen my real hair color since high school! (I graduated in 2007). It looks great and feels great. Follow the directions to a T! Also, make sure you RINSE exactly as it says. I also put in Ausie's 3 minute miracle. My hair feels just like it did before I put this product in. Granted, I didn't put any on my roots and they're a little bit darker than the rest of my hair, but that's okay :) Try it! You don't have anything to lose ;-) I honestly feel like I've gotten a makeover!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

ETA: I'm a hair maniac and after heavy hennas/1 indigo I decided I wanted my natural brown back, thought this would b wishful thinking, did procedure 3x in a week increasing up to 2 hr application and my hair is somehow my natural color: no henna, no black indigo, no weird green, just a nice med-dark brown. Which is weird since I had bleach and many layers of everything on there. I'd consider this a miracle substance. Oh but the smell. My family must love me to put up w the smell. Idk if this would work like this for anyone but my hair is not damaged at all so it's worth a try... I could always dye right over it. Have a dye handy just in case!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I had very very dark burgundy hair that I stupidly was trying to turn ginger (copper-ish, like a REAL redhead) with a box. That is going to be accomplished Wednesday at the salon by stripping first then adding color, I'm a dark brunette, duh.

However, after my err, to help the process along, I decided to try the 'Oops' since it has no bleach or damaging ingredients. I applied, put on cap, left on 20 minutes. I shampooed and rinsed in the shower for 20 minutes, no joke. The shampoo I used also was like a stripping shampoo (I alternated bw Prell and Johnson's Baby, then returned them to the store the next day muhaha since after my "real" color job I'll be using a sulfate-free). I wish I could post a pic in here as I took a before and after. My hair went from DARK burgundy to a light strawberry brown. Evenly, miraculously. As per the package and the website, if the dye you were using, even if darker, had a peroxide in it, which mine did, Oops will leave you with your natural color minus the peroxide that was in the dark dye. My hair is naturally much darker. So, warning, do not think you are going back truly to your natural color if your hair dye contained ANY peroxide. Which many DARK hair dyes do. But if you're just tryin to get the color out, go for it. You can dye back to your natural color immediately afterwards. I didn't do that obviously since I'm going to get gingered up at the salon in a few days.

But, at the salon now, they will have to do little if any harsh bleach stripping. VERY satisfied customer :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by LittleViolet

THANK YOU for making this. My "dark brown" dye = inky black. After conducting a strand test, my hair became its normal brown self again (a little darker than normal, which is funny because that is the color I was hoping for). I only had to spend 1 day looking like a fool.

I left it on for 20 minutes. the bottle was more than enough to drench my medium thickness, collar bone length hair. I had about an inch of product left in the bottle. I rinsed it for 5 full minutes with a timer and then shampooed twice, spending another 5 minutes rinsing each (15 minutes total). By then my knees were breaking off in the bathtub and my hair was looking normal and brown so I stopped.

Yes I still reek of sulphur but I don't care; at least I can look in a mirror without cringing! :D

Never again, semi-permanent "brown" dye! Thank you Oops!
$12.99 at Walgreens.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by sweaterbrau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have naturally dirty blonde hair and I typically dye it golden blonde using L'Oreal Preference or Excellence, with the occasional set of professional highlights. Last night I decided to change it up and dyed it a natural medium blonde to add a little more color for the Fall. It turned out as expected at the roots of my hair, but made the lightened and highlighted parts a crappy light green/blue/gray. I was HORRIFIED. After some quick research it seemed like the Color Oops produced good results on blonde hair so I took a leap of faith and tried it. I left it on the full 20 minutes and after just 5 I could see all the gray was taken out of the very ends of my hair. AWESOME! I read a lot of people complaining about the smell, but I didn't think it was that bad. Actually, regular permanent hair dye is a lot worse, in my opinion. I shampooed 4 times as the directions indicated and put a heavy conditioning mask on for another 10 and rinsed that out. My hair felt normal, which is awesome!! I was really worried about frying it to hell but that didn't happen at all. What I was left with was my formerly golden blonde hair, all the gray dye was gone!!! THANK GOD. I can't say if this works on dark dyes, but it definitely took all the dark greenish blonde and blue/gray tint out of my hair. Great stuff!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by cheeky

I used this last week on my hair that had been dyed at least 4 or 5 times. The last time I had dyed it (black) was in December. I think I didn't rinse this out long enough because it lightened my hair, but then seemed to darken the next day, and I read that if it's not completely rinsed out, the particles can oxidize and redarken your hair. I still have noticed some lightening of my hair, though very subtle. And my hair does not seem more damaged, the ends are a little rough, but I need to cut them anyway. Next time I try this I will use the extra conditioning formula, and get two boxes because my hair reaches the small of my back. The scent is the worst part, no exaggeration. I am not sensitive to smell at all, but the smell stayed in my bathroom for weeks, and I smelled it in my hair for the following week no matter how much I washed it out. I got a lot of complaints on the scent from my family, my brother was actually angry with me. So keep that in mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 5:31:00 AM More reviews by jesikah6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After (over) dyeing my hair black-brown (permanent) for close to four years, I was ready for a change. Preliminary research indicated I could either grow it out and cut it off OR bleach it; neither option was at all appealing to me.

Somewhere, somehow, (I think it was when I was reading about bleach washing) I learned about Color Oops. I read a gazillion reviews and decided to give it a shot. It seemed like it would be far less damaging than bleaching and was much more time efficient than growing the black dye out. I picked it up at the devil's department store, aka Wal-Mart, for just under $10 (my local Sally's doesn't carry this or any other product with hydrosulfite...I live in a rural suburb of Phoenix).

ODOR: many reviewers and YouTube videos make mention of how this product smells. Most of those who mention the smell point out the sulfur smell which is understandable since the active ingredient in Color Oops is hydrosulfite. That being said, the smell was not nearly as bad as other reviewers led me to believe. It certainly doesn't smell GOOD, but its not the assault on the senses that I had read/heard about. I liken the smell to a milder version of a perm. I am a nursing mother and haven't quite gotten rid of the hypersensitive nose that comes with pregnancy, so for ME to say that the smell was tolerable goes a long way. As a precaution, my husband took my daughter out of the house and when they returned about 15min after I was finished, he said there was only a mild odor lingering throughout.

INSTRUCTIONS: the instructions included are extremely clear and very detailed. If you follow the instructions, you really can't go wrong. About the only thing I learned from YouTube and other reviews that wasn't mentioned in the instructions was to agitate my hair as I rinsed, but I'll get into that more below.

APPLICATION: the formula of this product is VERY runny. In my situation, I needed to apply this to the ends of my hair first since they were the areas that were the most over-saturated with dye. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and applied the solution to the pony first which made it a LOT easier to avoid spilling it all over myself and the floor. After allowing the ends to process for 10min, I saturated the rest of my hair to process for the remaining 10-15min.

PROCESSING: once I put the included cap on my head, I went outside to the warm air. The instructions are very clear to stay out of cool rooms and away from air conditioning vents/fans. Since it was a lovely 105 outside, I sat on the porch and let the heat help things along.

RINSING: several other reviewers mentioned that this was the most arduous part of the process and I can't disagree with them. While many chose to rinse the solution out in the shower (and thus running out of hot water in the process), I opted to use the kitchen sink. My faucet has a spray function and I alternated between the spray and the regular stream. I also could have used the spigot in the tub, but kneeling on the floor didn't seem desirable at the time. This product works by opening the cuticle and breaking down the color molecules to a size that will rinse out, so keeping the cuticle open is key. The sooner the cuticle closes (i.e. by being hit with cold water), the more dye that remains in the hair. This remaining dye can and will re-oxidize over time, giving the illusion that your hair is spontaneously re-dyeing itself. To keep the cuticle open, rinse using the hottest water you can stand. Since I needed the biggest result on the ends of my hair, I was able to use water that was hotter than I would be able to use on my scalp. To "help" the color molecules find their way out of my hair and down the drain, I followed other recommendations to agitate my hair whilst rinsing it. I think it worked like a charm.

RESULT: I could not be more pleased with the result I achieved. My natural color is dark brown and I feel that I was returned to that color. This product works by removing just the artificial dye molecules, and because I had been using deposit-only oxidizing color, my natural color wasn't affected at all. See for yourself by looking at my uploaded photos.

The instructions claim that you can re-color your hair immediately after completing the Color Oops process and I would say that my hair felt like it was ready to receive color again. I didn't have my new color on hand to re-color right away, but if I had I wouldn't have hesitated to jump right in. I did re-color the next day after using a protein filler and my hair is really beautiful; shiny, smooth, and soft.

I would absolutely use this product again in the future should I have the need and I plan to rave about it to anyone who will listen. The box states that it will only remove the most recent oxidative process that has been applied to hair, but I am here to tell you that it has removed YEARS of color from my hair. I did not have any areas that had been previously bleached (i,e, highlights) which is why I was successful in achieving my natural color. For someone who has/had highlights or who has previously bleached any portion of his or her hair, just know that it is impossible for the bleached areas to return to your natural color because the natural pigments have been removed.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by iloveyallsreviews

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been dying my hair BLACK PERMANET AND DEMI PERMANET for several years and i must say that this stuff is amazing way better than any other hair color remover my hair is nice and not brittle i used this with anti dandruff shampoo and did 2 rounds cuz i had left overs and i hate to waste product so i shampooed overall about 4.5 times than deep conditioned.
i love this product and highly recommend it.