December 20, 2014 | 1672 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Megatonisforlovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So it smells & is a tad drying, a little over 13 dollars at my local CVS but it works wonders wish I knew about this years ago. First of all I would like to start with my stats. I have over processed hair. I been coloring my hair for years & years now. My hair is naturally dry & frizzy & all the years of coloring I am lucky to have hair left. I had blonde hair than professional turned it red started coloring it red on my own then professionally got it blonde & started bleaching it by myself turning my hair white over time but after so much bleaching my once long locks literally dried off. So I stupidly decided to go red again. & it again turned an unnatural red. My hair was red from Manic Panic & had colored my roots with Loreal Hilight Magenta with 10 developer. I kept it for awhile but I grew tried of it & asked a professional to help me go to a dark ginger color. My hair being so vibrate we thought it to be impossible. I read long & hard into Color Oops, researching & looking up all the reviews I could. I didn't want my hair white again just faded. I tired using Clarifying Shampoo it only lightened my ends to an ugly grayish pink color. So I decided what the heck why not use some Color Oops? I studied the directions & knowing about the smell I opened my windows & had a candle going. I prepped my hair the day before deep conditioning it. I smothered my hair in the product, capped my hair off & sat on the floor as my darling boyfriend held the blow dryer to my capped off hair on low heat & power for 20 minutes. Automatically my ends were a goldish orangish color but my roots were still red, I kept my cool knowing the shampooing part was the most important. I flipped my head & hair into the sink & both myself & my boyfriend vigorously scrubbed my hair for 20 full minutes then again for a finally five my whole head was the goldish orange color all but for but the very roots behind my ears & back of my neck which were a light pink. We missed scrubbing there, our faults. My hair didn't feel at all good at all but common sense tells you it wouldn't. I conditioned then I once again deep conditioned & my hair was pretty normal again, no damage or hair loss. My Hair Stylist was amazed at how well it turned out & that my hair felt fine I am now worry free, able to go ginger. I love this stuff I would recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Princesa7

My reviews of my 4x using this!!

Background-So I've been coloring my hair since middle school (23yrs) lol I've been black,various shades of red,blonde and brown over the years...biggest mistake was going black back in highschool,had to get my hair stripped and do protein treatments etc cuz my hair was severly damaged....so since the mid 90's now I've been sticking with med brown wich is closest to my natural color..loving and have no issues...........well now fast forward to this year...I'm now 38 and since January I have noticed the greys are coming in stronger!!! Yikes wich now means I practically have to re dye almost every 2 weeks....thats just a no for me lol and I figured I'd try something lighter to help with the grey and not have to dye as much.

So after reading all the reviews on this product..I picked up 2 boxes just incase (my hair is bra strap length) and the next morning scared as hell lol and with the help of my husband took the plunge!!

I will say 1 box was enough for my hair and as ar as the scent goes IMO it wasn't that bad but still not good lol but tolerable,and yes its runny but again not bad. This stuff worked!!!!!!! very impressive that all the dark brown was gone!! The 20mins rinsing with hot water sucked but hey ya gotta do it! After all that (plus the 20min conditioning)and my hair was dry my roots had the grey going but the rest was a light caramel brown with brassyness (I will say that I didn't really notice any damage from Color Oops other than my hair just felt drier than normal).....after that I used L'Oreal excellence in a dark blonde left in in 5mins cuz the Color Oops directions said do not use let the dye process more than 5mins wich worked out ok my hair is lighter now but there are some brown spots and my hair is a little lighter at the roots(wich I expected).....with that all said so far I'm still in colorshock lol I do like the color but IDK I think I thought it was gonna come out way lighter wich I wanted.....but again I'm in color shock so I do have a 2nd box of color Oops for back up. I will give this brown with dark blonde color for a while and decide at some point if I will stay or go a tad lighter......I mean its pretty and I will have to touch up my roots in a few days cuz 5mins was not enough for the greys.

I will be back to update!

*Update 5/10/13*

So today 5days after using my 1box of Color Oops 2nite I used the 2nd one..

I wasn't feeling the L'Oreal Excellence Dark Blonde color.it looked so flat and sucky...so I used Ion Light Blonde tonight and of course the color didn't come out light blonde (and I knew it would due to the reviews) and that was perfect for me!!

I wil say using the Color Oops 2nd time around really stripped the color out better than the 1st time (wich was till impressive too).
I did the strand test in 2 different spots and after the 5min mark no change at all so I risked it and went ahead with the Ion directions to leave it on 45mins and I'm sooooooooo freakn happy I did! Don't get me wrong I was damn near having a anxiety attack the whole time no knowing what to expect...but my hair is a beautiful soft caramely light brown with a slight blonde color to it.

*Update on 5/20/13
Sooo I just wasn't feeling the color I put in last week,it was pretty but it seemed to have more red/brass in it even after using stuff to get rid of the brass lol

So last Friday night I picked up another box of Color Oops (and a new color) and Saturday morning went to it. Of couse this now being the 3rd time using this I was really worried that I'd have crazy damage on my hair but I was wrong I just had the same dryness as expected and nothing more. I will say that using it a 3rd time to remove last weeks color really stripped my hair almost totally!!!!! I was impressed and freakn happy that it stripped my hair to a light brassy brown/blonde pale color (yay) cuz this meant for me that I didn't have to go the bleaching route wich I was trying to avoid. So after doing all the steps & rinsing and re dyeing I am happy to say I love my new blonde color!! I will not to re use Color Oops again lol (well for a long time I won't lol)

*Update on 8/20/13

I used Color Oops last night to get rid of my blonde hair (I just wasnt loving it as much as I thought I would and liking it a lot wasn't enough for me to keep it) so going into this again I knew that it might not work with removing the blonde but I went for it anyway! The parts of my hair that were really super light blonde didn't get removed but some of the darker bonde did and turned a brassy yellow. So after doing the Color Oops and the hot water rinsing,then deep conditioning and re dyeing I am happy to say I am back to my natural brown color!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be staying brown from this point on but am happy to say Color Oops once again was a lifesaver and it worked out! =)

I would highly reccommend Color Oops and I would totally use it again if I had to its a hair disaster lifesaver!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by AvaTara539

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have black dyed hair on most of my head, the top couple inches my natural color has come in which is brown now... hair stylists have been adamant that black dye cannot be removed. But some reviewers on website said theirs was so I took a shot. Anyway the downsides are: I thought it would have usual hair dye consistency but it doesn't- it is as thin as water! But the application tip had just as big of a hole as usual hair dye- it was squirting everywhere. I think more got on my skin and the floor and bathroom counter top than my hair! One bottle was definitely NOT enough for at shoulder length hair (for $14 I paid at walgreens it should be!). And that's all I had. Also I had to rinse my hair for twenty minutes afterwards, and then add another five because that wasn't enough (to be fair this is because I have very thick hair). That was pretty inconvenient. It didn't smell great but neither does dye. However- it did actually remove almost all my black dye and return hair to brown color. There was no dye dripping off my head in shower it rinsed clear too. There are little streaks of black in it still but I'm fairly sure that's where I missed with the application of it. In general I would give this a huge thumbs up, because awkward as it is to apply and rinse forever it's insane that it actually removed my black dye- esp the dark midnight blue black color I've always used. I would definitely recommend this hair dye remover for any color- but buy two bottles and prop up a full sized mirror in the shower and apply it in there if you can lol! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by jxre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is AMAZING! I am naturally a dark ash blonde/very light brown and I colored by hair bright red just for fun. Well turns out my job didn't approve! Bummer! So I did a lot of research and came across color oops. I was very skeptical but I purchased one box of color oops and two boxes of Revlon dark ash blonde. Color oops is very very watery and you may need two boxes if you have long thick hair. I followed the directions exactly which is critical. I was at an orange color which was okay with me it was expected. I left conditioner in my hair in a braid overnight and colored the next day. To my surprise my hair is the exact color it was before the red!!! I have been coloring for years and this is by far the best product I've used!! My hair isn't damaged beyond belief either. So surprised and satisfied!! I would definitely recommend this product!!! Girls there is hope!!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by lolaboo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product is confusing, seriously you're better off with bleach! This left my hair patchy and discolored and I looked like a Dalmatian! I would've been better with bleach. :S

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by seattlegirl

I have given this such a low rating because I think their instructions are totally irresponsible:

1. as other reviewers have said, you really need to rinse for at least 20 minutes in the hottest water possible. before this is done, you need to try your best to make sure your hair does not get cold. basically, once the hair gets cold, the cuticle closes and you can't rinse the pigments out. it kind of says this in the instructions, but I feel they need to really emphasize it and explain why, so that you know that you absolutely cannot take shortcuts on this step. my point is, in the instructions, they need to try harder to drive this very important step home!

2. if you use any products with peroxide after this, it will cause the color to re-darken. they don't say this on the box or anywhere on the insert. they DO say this on the FAQ page of their website though. do you know what contains peroxide? MANY hair dyes.

I tried using color oops to get dark black/brown dye out of my blonde hair. I did the 20 minute hot water rinse, and it looked lighter, so I was satisfied that it worked. then I tried to tone it with a medium blonde dye and do you know what happened? it darkened to black/brown! there is no way a blonde dye alone could make my hair look black! the old pigments basically oxidized.

I am super annoyed. this product wasted my time, money, and tons of water. it was WAY easier to just bleach and tone some highlights instead. I will never use color oops again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 7:53:00 AM More reviews by Jdiaz3364

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will try to make a long story short.
Previous hair: brown with heavy heavy blond highlights. Overall look was blond. Cut it to a long inverted bob , dyed it a dark chocolate color with some chunky red highlights. A few weeks later, in the middle of a family crisis, got very aggravated with having to "do" my hair, had it cut short and added really bright red highlights to to top and the front. Fast forward through the crying and remorse, it was too everything...too short, too dark, too red and not only do I hate it..hubby hates the red look. How is it possible to forget how "permanent" it is when you cut you hair too short? Anywho, bought color oops extra strength to get the red out so I could recolor it at home which I haven't done in a long time. I held on to the box for about a week, scouring the Internet, reading reviews, watching the YouTube videos etc. because honestly, I was pretty petrified to do anything to it because I'm so miserable with it. Yesterday morning I got the balls to use it. First, I did a strand test. That came out perfect. The blonde came back. Yay! So I put it on my whole head...............
Showered, shampoo, rinse, rinse, rinse, shampoo, rinse, rinse, rinse, repeat that about 6 more times.
The moment of the truth as the fog on the mirror clears......bright orange with strawberry blonde highlights!!!! Bright orange people!!!! So ridiculous looking!!!! I took a picture of it so when I feel down I can look at it and get a good laugh.
The directions say if you are going to color your hair right away you should use a protein filler...I did not use one. Also, when you color again to pick a shade lighter because the hair is extremely porous after using color oops.
I chose a light neutral brown. The color did not come out bad. There was still a red hue to the previously highlighted pieces in the front. Tried then to highlight with a cap. The hair lifted at all different levels. So basically I feel like I have the technicolor dream oat on my head. It's a little multicolored right now but hubby said it looks "soo much better".
The moral of the story is...don't make drastic changes in the middle of a crisis!!
I think that I will go back to my hairdresser and have her put in my old highlights so that even though it is short at least the color is as it was before.
I don't think I would've been able to color over that red so I guess the color oops helped.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by TheGoofQueen

I've been dyeing my hair red for about nine months now, and needed to get back to my original hair color for a play to be performed in April. Not wanting to destroy my hair, I knew traditional bleaches and stripping treatments weren't my first option, so I researched a couple other options and came across the reviews for this product. Now I'm sitting here with basically my natural hair color again! WOW! This product does exactly what it says it will do - my hair still has a little tinge of red in it (warnings of this ARE included in the packaging), but my natural hair is blonde with red highlights so it fits perfectly! My hair also doesn't feel damaged - maybe a little dry at the ends, but nothing a good deep conditioner won't fix. For $13 at Walgreens, it's a little pricey for my blood but considering the job it did I'm very pleased! As several people have noted, it DOES have a pretty pungent smell, but I think it was comparable to other hair colors/perms I've smelled. So unless you're very sensitive to smell it shouldn't bother you too much.

Overall a fantastic product, but I would definitely recommend performing the strand test, even if you don't normally do it! This seems like a product that really differs according to hair texture/thickness, but if you follow the directions it will do its job, and do it PHENOMENALLY!!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by AmyRuth23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my hair black for about two years now. My natural color is a medium/dark brown. I tried this hoping I could get back to a more brown color because I'm tired of black. I used this and followed the directions. My hair is still jet black. I was really disappointed because I read a lot of reviews saying it had worked.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by brandyleigh45

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok...so I tried both Color Fix and Color Oops. Color fix was terrible. It seriously smells sooo bad! Imagine dead skunk, rotten eggs, and burnt rubber all mixed together. Thats how vile, and strong the smell is, and it doesn't come out of your hair for a LONG LONG time, even after multiple washings with strong shampoo. I found it to be ok in terms of not drying out my hair, and it did pull some of the color out, but not a good amount. It also caused extreme, considerable scalp irritation for me, turning my scalp really pink and making it very tender to touch. There would've been no way I could've done more then one application as it was just to chemically harsh!

I needed to remove the color though, and saw the Extra Strength Color Oops in the store and figured I'd give it a try. I liked the Color Oops much better. It didn't hurt my scalp, and seemed to pull the color out better then the Color Fix. I did leave it on for 45 minutes instead of 20 though. It left the gray strands that had been colored a sortof brassy colored, goldeny red, but didn't look bad. The product itself is a lot thinner in consistency then Color Fix. Very liquidy and harder to control in terms of application as it is very runny. Color fix is thicker and adheres better to the hair, and is easy to see. Color oops is transparent, and kindof hard to tell if you have covered all areas completely or equally. Also I have long hair, while I was able to get one application out of the Color Fix easily. I would recommend two boxes of the Color oops. The bottle appears to be a tad bit smaller (3oz vs 4oz in color fix I think) and that one ounce made a big difference. Plus the thinner consistency makes it harder to get good coverage without the additional bottle. Over all I felt it did a pretty good job removing the color. I have dark brown hair, and have been using a dark brown permanent color for a long time on it. I felt over the years it has become more black brown and a bit harsh looking for my pale skin and I wanted to get back more to my natural color. The Color Oops removed the color from my gray hair and brought the rest of my hair back to is natural color dark brown. It was gentle on my hair and left it feeling very silky and soft. I would definitely recommend it and would use it again in the future. In my opinion it is much gentler and overall does a better job then Color Fix. Also while it has a smell to it, it is nothing at all like Color Fix, and even after a couple washes doesn't smell too bad. I'm sure with another couple washings my hair will be back to its normal scent, at least I don't feel like I have to be embarrassed or that folks can smell my hair before I get there like I did with Color Fix. It would definitely be my first choice in the future for color removal and I will NEVER again use Color Fix!