August 2, 2014 | 968 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

ETA: I'm a hair maniac and after heavy hennas/1 indigo I decided I wanted my natural brown back, thought this would b wishful thinking, did procedure 3x in a week increasing up to 2 hr application and my hair is somehow my natural color: no henna, no black indigo, no weird green, just a nice med-dark brown. Which is weird since I had bleach and many layers of everything on there. I'd consider this a miracle substance. Oh but the smell. My family must love me to put up w the smell. Idk if this would work like this for anyone but my hair is not damaged at all so it's worth a try... I could always dye right over it. Have a dye handy just in case!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I had very very dark burgundy hair that I stupidly was trying to turn ginger (copper-ish, like a REAL redhead) with a box. That is going to be accomplished Wednesday at the salon by stripping first then adding color, I'm a dark brunette, duh.

However, after my err, to help the process along, I decided to try the 'Oops' since it has no bleach or damaging ingredients. I applied, put on cap, left on 20 minutes. I shampooed and rinsed in the shower for 20 minutes, no joke. The shampoo I used also was like a stripping shampoo (I alternated bw Prell and Johnson's Baby, then returned them to the store the next day muhaha since after my "real" color job I'll be using a sulfate-free). I wish I could post a pic in here as I took a before and after. My hair went from DARK burgundy to a light strawberry brown. Evenly, miraculously. As per the package and the website, if the dye you were using, even if darker, had a peroxide in it, which mine did, Oops will leave you with your natural color minus the peroxide that was in the dark dye. My hair is naturally much darker. So, warning, do not think you are going back truly to your natural color if your hair dye contained ANY peroxide. Which many DARK hair dyes do. But if you're just tryin to get the color out, go for it. You can dye back to your natural color immediately afterwards. I didn't do that obviously since I'm going to get gingered up at the salon in a few days.

But, at the salon now, they will have to do little if any harsh bleach stripping. VERY satisfied customer :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by LittleViolet

THANK YOU for making this. My "dark brown" dye = inky black. After conducting a strand test, my hair became its normal brown self again (a little darker than normal, which is funny because that is the color I was hoping for). I only had to spend 1 day looking like a fool.

I left it on for 20 minutes. the bottle was more than enough to drench my medium thickness, collar bone length hair. I had about an inch of product left in the bottle. I rinsed it for 5 full minutes with a timer and then shampooed twice, spending another 5 minutes rinsing each (15 minutes total). By then my knees were breaking off in the bathtub and my hair was looking normal and brown so I stopped.

Yes I still reek of sulphur but I don't care; at least I can look in a mirror without cringing! :D

Never again, semi-permanent "brown" dye! Thank you Oops!
$12.99 at Walgreens.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by sweaterbrau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have naturally dirty blonde hair and I typically dye it golden blonde using L'Oreal Preference or Excellence, with the occasional set of professional highlights. Last night I decided to change it up and dyed it a natural medium blonde to add a little more color for the Fall. It turned out as expected at the roots of my hair, but made the lightened and highlighted parts a crappy light green/blue/gray. I was HORRIFIED. After some quick research it seemed like the Color Oops produced good results on blonde hair so I took a leap of faith and tried it. I left it on the full 20 minutes and after just 5 I could see all the gray was taken out of the very ends of my hair. AWESOME! I read a lot of people complaining about the smell, but I didn't think it was that bad. Actually, regular permanent hair dye is a lot worse, in my opinion. I shampooed 4 times as the directions indicated and put a heavy conditioning mask on for another 10 and rinsed that out. My hair felt normal, which is awesome!! I was really worried about frying it to hell but that didn't happen at all. What I was left with was my formerly golden blonde hair, all the gray dye was gone!!! THANK GOD. I can't say if this works on dark dyes, but it definitely took all the dark greenish blonde and blue/gray tint out of my hair. Great stuff!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by cheeky

I used this last week on my hair that had been dyed at least 4 or 5 times. The last time I had dyed it (black) was in December. I think I didn't rinse this out long enough because it lightened my hair, but then seemed to darken the next day, and I read that if it's not completely rinsed out, the particles can oxidize and redarken your hair. I still have noticed some lightening of my hair, though very subtle. And my hair does not seem more damaged, the ends are a little rough, but I need to cut them anyway. Next time I try this I will use the extra conditioning formula, and get two boxes because my hair reaches the small of my back. The scent is the worst part, no exaggeration. I am not sensitive to smell at all, but the smell stayed in my bathroom for weeks, and I smelled it in my hair for the following week no matter how much I washed it out. I got a lot of complaints on the scent from my family, my brother was actually angry with me. So keep that in mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 5:31:00 AM More reviews by jesikah6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After (over) dyeing my hair black-brown (permanent) for close to four years, I was ready for a change. Preliminary research indicated I could either grow it out and cut it off OR bleach it; neither option was at all appealing to me.

Somewhere, somehow, (I think it was when I was reading about bleach washing) I learned about Color Oops. I read a gazillion reviews and decided to give it a shot. It seemed like it would be far less damaging than bleaching and was much more time efficient than growing the black dye out. I picked it up at the devil's department store, aka Wal-Mart, for just under $10 (my local Sally's doesn't carry this or any other product with hydrosulfite...I live in a rural suburb of Phoenix).

ODOR: many reviewers and YouTube videos make mention of how this product smells. Most of those who mention the smell point out the sulfur smell which is understandable since the active ingredient in Color Oops is hydrosulfite. That being said, the smell was not nearly as bad as other reviewers led me to believe. It certainly doesn't smell GOOD, but its not the assault on the senses that I had read/heard about. I liken the smell to a milder version of a perm. I am a nursing mother and haven't quite gotten rid of the hypersensitive nose that comes with pregnancy, so for ME to say that the smell was tolerable goes a long way. As a precaution, my husband took my daughter out of the house and when they returned about 15min after I was finished, he said there was only a mild odor lingering throughout.

INSTRUCTIONS: the instructions included are extremely clear and very detailed. If you follow the instructions, you really can't go wrong. About the only thing I learned from YouTube and other reviews that wasn't mentioned in the instructions was to agitate my hair as I rinsed, but I'll get into that more below.

APPLICATION: the formula of this product is VERY runny. In my situation, I needed to apply this to the ends of my hair first since they were the areas that were the most over-saturated with dye. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and applied the solution to the pony first which made it a LOT easier to avoid spilling it all over myself and the floor. After allowing the ends to process for 10min, I saturated the rest of my hair to process for the remaining 10-15min.

PROCESSING: once I put the included cap on my head, I went outside to the warm air. The instructions are very clear to stay out of cool rooms and away from air conditioning vents/fans. Since it was a lovely 105 outside, I sat on the porch and let the heat help things along.

RINSING: several other reviewers mentioned that this was the most arduous part of the process and I can't disagree with them. While many chose to rinse the solution out in the shower (and thus running out of hot water in the process), I opted to use the kitchen sink. My faucet has a spray function and I alternated between the spray and the regular stream. I also could have used the spigot in the tub, but kneeling on the floor didn't seem desirable at the time. This product works by opening the cuticle and breaking down the color molecules to a size that will rinse out, so keeping the cuticle open is key. The sooner the cuticle closes (i.e. by being hit with cold water), the more dye that remains in the hair. This remaining dye can and will re-oxidize over time, giving the illusion that your hair is spontaneously re-dyeing itself. To keep the cuticle open, rinse using the hottest water you can stand. Since I needed the biggest result on the ends of my hair, I was able to use water that was hotter than I would be able to use on my scalp. To "help" the color molecules find their way out of my hair and down the drain, I followed other recommendations to agitate my hair whilst rinsing it. I think it worked like a charm.

RESULT: I could not be more pleased with the result I achieved. My natural color is dark brown and I feel that I was returned to that color. This product works by removing just the artificial dye molecules, and because I had been using deposit-only oxidizing color, my natural color wasn't affected at all. See for yourself by looking at my uploaded photos.

The instructions claim that you can re-color your hair immediately after completing the Color Oops process and I would say that my hair felt like it was ready to receive color again. I didn't have my new color on hand to re-color right away, but if I had I wouldn't have hesitated to jump right in. I did re-color the next day after using a protein filler and my hair is really beautiful; shiny, smooth, and soft.

I would absolutely use this product again in the future should I have the need and I plan to rave about it to anyone who will listen. The box states that it will only remove the most recent oxidative process that has been applied to hair, but I am here to tell you that it has removed YEARS of color from my hair. I did not have any areas that had been previously bleached (i,e, highlights) which is why I was successful in achieving my natural color. For someone who has/had highlights or who has previously bleached any portion of his or her hair, just know that it is impossible for the bleached areas to return to your natural color because the natural pigments have been removed.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by iloveyallsreviews

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been dying my hair BLACK PERMANET AND DEMI PERMANET for several years and i must say that this stuff is amazing way better than any other hair color remover my hair is nice and not brittle i used this with anti dandruff shampoo and did 2 rounds cuz i had left overs and i hate to waste product so i shampooed overall about 4.5 times than deep conditioned.
i love this product and highly recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by angelisam02

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Even after reading mostly positive reviews for this product I was still skeptical that it would actually work. But it does! I've colored my hair for 15 years, it is naturally dark blonde and I have been golden blonde for the last year. I decided to go a little darker for the fall and used a light brown box color. Usually I have no problem with this particular brand but this time my hair came out bright orange. I bought Color Oops and followed the directions exactly, giving my hair a couple extra shampoos at the end. I then towel dried it until it was just damp, drenched it in conditioner and let it sit for a couple of hours. My hair is now almost exactly the same color it was to begin with, just a teeny bit redder, and is no more damaged than it was to start with. It does smell bad and the sulfur smell lingers a little, but no worse than box color and it was totally worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I guess I have two separate little reviews to do on this, as I used it in different situations. I dyed my hair black for years, and finally wanted to go back to my natural redhead color. I heard about this stuff, purchased two boxes for my longer hair, and went at it. The smell is really strong, and slightly putrid, like a very strong sulfer smell, so as a warning: WEAR OLD CLOTHES WHEN YOU USE THIS AND HAVE WINDOWS OPEN. The smell will stick with whatever it gets on, so be careful. The first time I used it, it took out a bit of color, and the second time I used it, a slight bit more. If you've bee dying your hair with permanent color for years, this product will not remove all of it (for that purpose, I would recommend the L'oreal Hair Color Remover, it worked for me). A few weeks after I had tried the Color Oops, I put a box of flame-orange dye on my head on a whim. Used Color Oops one last time a few days after, and it took the orange out perfectly. I do recomment this product for those who want to remove dye they have done recently. Also, READ THE DIRECTIONS. Most failed cases I've heard of have been from people who did NOT read the directions. It is a bit of a hassle, because you're going to be spending 20+ minutes solely rinsing your hair, but seriously, read the directions all the way through. THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR REMOVING 'ODD' COLORS, LIKE PINK, BLUE, ETC. It says so in the directions, but in very small print, and people who have used it to try to remove that kind of dye have had horrific results.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by BritHatley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a life-saving product. After taking color advice from a friend who works at Sally's (who is a licensed cosmetologist) I regretted and hated my color. I was aiming for a Kate Winslet in Titanic red... the color I got was an Ariana Grande pink/fuchsia nightmare. I purchased the conditioning Color Oops and did the test strand to see if my hair would hold up to the abuse. Thankfully, it did. I applied Color Oops to the rest of my hair, waited while it processed for 20 minutes, and I rinsed for another 20. After letting my hair air dry, I was thrilled to find that my hair was a beautiful light golden blonde color.
I deep conditioned for 2 hours before re-dying my hair with L'oreal professionals color Medium-Intense Copper Red. I am IN LOVE with my new color.
I purchased Color Oops at Ulta for $9.99, I had no damage, and no lingering odor. That being said, I can see how the smell could be alarming to someone who's never had to remove color before. It smells like sweet sulfur and mayonaisse.
Word of advice for all of those who have lots of experience coloring your hair: DO NOT take advice from a friend if it goes against everything you've learned through coloring your own hair. Good Luck

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by sssaaarrraaahhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried to dye my medium reddish brown hair back to my natural color which is a dark dark brown/soft black. I used Clairol's nice n easy in soft black, and it came out jet black. I was horrified! I have very pale skin so the black made me look sickly. I tried washing it a million times and nothing worked, so I found color oops. After reading all the good reviews I decided to give it a try. Yes it does have an unpleasant odor to it but honestly its not that bad. So after I rinsed it out I was amazed. no trace of jet black was left in my hair! My hair is now back to a medium brown, just how I wanted. I am very pleased with this product. My hair also doesn't feel damaged at all. I recommend this to anyone who has an unwanted dark hair color. Also I have very thick bra strap length hair and I used the entire bottle. So if your hair is longer than mine I'd suggest buying 2 boxes.