MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 9/23/2012 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I use this primer and it works so well on my skin and lasts so long. I usually wear this and then put on my MAC Studio Fix Fluid. It makes my skin smooth and my makeup lasts so long. I have super oily skin and this works miracles for me. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

on 9/17/2012 3:33:00 PM

I'm on my 2nd tube of this. As a primer/sunscreen it's great for my oily/combination skin - it goes on smoothly and makeup applies well on top of it. It really prolongs the wear of my makeup and helps prevent shine. I find it's better if I use it on top of an oil-free moisturiser - applied to my bare skin it can cause spots.

On the downside, the packaging is grim. Looks lovely yes, but the tube is quite rigid and makes use difficult - once you're about half way through the contents it becomes increasingly difficult to get the product out. This is irritating, especially as it's not a cheap product - for the money I'd expect the packaging to be fit for purpose.

on 9/16/2012 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am obsessed with this product! I have very oily, acne prone skin, and was looking for a primer well suited for my skin type. A friend of mine knew this, and bought me the Prem
+ Prime SPF 50 for my birthday. At first when I tried the product, I absolutely hated it! I did everything I had done before with other primers; cleansed my face, toned, moisturized, and applied this primer. Very quickly I noticed how greasy my skin felt, and my MatchMaster MAC foundation looked terrible for once. After a week with putting up with this, I went to the closest MAC store and asked the associate to do an exchange for me. She asked why I wanted to exchange it, as it would be the best one she had to offer for my skin tone. Her answer to my response was to not wear the moisturizer before the primer. This primer is supposed to be your moisturizer, sunscreen, and primer. Ever since I took her advice, I can't imagine my life without it! Keeps me matte and flawless all day, can't say enough good things!

on 9/15/2012 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I used to love this product...I'm so sad the reformulated this. =( I found one at a CCO and it worked GREAT! Bought at a MAC counter and it's defiantly NOT the same product. The redid the formula and the new one sucks. My face looked greasy just applying it and didn't do anything but sit on top of my face. Horrible for oily girls.

on 9/12/2012 10:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I wanted this product to work for me. SPF50? awesome! MAC Primer to go with my MAC foundations? awesome! mid-line price? awesome!

Results: meh. The 50spf becomes unremarkable because there is no way to layer this on your face enough to get that kind of protection in reality. When I wrote this under my MAC foundations and other brands, I felt like my makeup melted off my face in patches throughout the day. And it definitely contributed to some clogged pores and break outs.

This is not a repeat buy for me.

on 9/9/2012 10:38:00 AM

I apply this primer after a moisturiser (M.A.C. Strobe cream) and before applying the M.A.C. Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation. Even though all of these products are M.A.C. and should work well together, they don't. The primer is greasy at the beginning but sinks in ok, leaving my combination skin matte but with an obvious white cast. The cast has to be covered with the foundation but it just won't go nicely over this primer and looks unnatural, streaky and cakey. I look like a pale, cakey ghost..

on 9/6/2012 9:01:00 AM

I would have given this a FIVE but MAC changed the ingredients without notice and the formula now contains oxybenzone (bad for you!), has runnier consistency, and smells like sunscreen. I have purchased this product religiously since it came out and now I have to find a new primer with high spf. THANKS A LOT MAC >:(

I've looked at MUFE's primer spf 50 but it also contains oxybenzone. If anyone can find a good primer with spf of at least 30, please let me know!!

on 8/30/2012 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I used to love this primer so much until they changed the formula and now it just makes my face greasy and oily and look so much worse. Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative primer with high SPF?

on 8/20/2012 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Oh, hell no they didn't change the formula. Oh yes they did. I actually liked this product before, and forgot I had it, but rediscovered it after combing through my stash. I needed something to help me stay more matte during these summer months and my regular Jan Marini SPF lotion wasn't cutting it. The tube I had was a bit old and gritty, so I went to the MAC counter at Nordies and picked up a fresh one.

I've been changing a lot of different things to my routine as of late, so I wasn't sure what was causing me to look so greasy. The old formula kept me matte most of the day, and even dried me out a bit, if used without additional moisturizer. After two days of mopping up the grease and my co-workers saying I looked like I was sweating, when I wasn't, went back and compared the new and old tube on my arm. There was clearly a huge difference between the two formulas.

I wouldn't go as far as saying there's glitter in the new one, but the effect is pretty darn close. While the old Matte version drys to semi-matte quickly, the new is very shiny and never really dries/sets.

Two days and I broke out like no one's business and I was a walking disco ball. So disappointed.

Update: After going back to return this product, I found out that MAC indeed completely changed this product's formula. It's nothing like the original, other than the SPF 50.

on 8/11/2012 2:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I always start my MAC reviews like this: "I am no MAC fan."
And this is no different, so pls believe me when I tell you I can be trusted. The makeup line is still a hot mess and can't be trusted to leave me with clear skin - tread carefully.

But the skin care line has surprised me; pleasantly so.

This one is great for oily skins. I wanted it for the 50 spf. Have worn it all summer and have a teeny amt left before I break out the one I ordered as a back up. All spf's over 30 break me out like crazy. Not only did this not break me out, it has been a great mattifier for the desert sun this summer.

30ml squeeze tube that rests on it's top - leaving the product to stay near the spout. I do not notice a fragrance. Goes on like a creme moisturizer but dries down matte. Does not change color or application of powder or liquid foundations.

I have enjoyed this product and will repurchase over and again.

Popular Primer/ Correctors