MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used this product religiously for years and years. It's true that the container was bad for the original product. The primer was thick and at the end I'd have to cut off the top of the bottle to get to all the product. It was worth it though, and I'd store it in another container at that point. However, the new formula, which I'm assuming was meant to address the problem of the thick product in poorly designed container, is terrible. Not only does it NOT WORK, it runs/leaks out of the bottle, leading to a lot of waste of the product.The solution to the old problem was a better container, not a reformulation of the primer. The only "good" thing I can say about the new reformulation is that is helped me realize how much I loved the old formula! I want it back!

EDIT: I had been using Mac's Prep and Prime Protect SPF 50 until the formula changed. I sampled multiple oil-control primers from Sephora (Murad, Roth, Clinique, Korres) and some drugstore brands (Boots, Cetaphil) from Target over the course of the past few months. I finally settled on Hourglass Veil Mineral and I love it. Interestingly, it has Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, two ingredients that, as I recall, were in the Mac Prep and Prime and removed and replaced by chemical sunscreens. Now I'm wondering if those sunscreen ingredients don't also have oil-control properties. None of the other primers I tried worked very well, and none of them had these two ingredients.

i had the old version of this primer and it was perfect, but a week ago i got the new formula and it sucks. every time i use it my face looks greasy and bad. also if you read the box the 3 main ingredients are sunscreens and nothing else. dont waste money on this.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product as most of my make up is MAC and I've always used MAC foundations so buying the primer seemed logical. I have oily combination skin and had never really used a primer before this. Well after three days of using this my skin broke out TERRIBLY. I got tonnes of small little pimple like dots all over my cheeks. Please note, this may not happen to everyone and is simply my experience with this product but I will say if you're thinking about buying this maybe ask for a sample to try?
I did end up returning the product and the MAC staff were completely fine about it- they did get me to fill out a form saying what kind of reaction I had so they could pass the feedback on which I did think was good.

I love this stuff! doesn't feel like i have anything on.. i use this before i apply my bare minerals make up! I can work out and my make up is still on..just wish mac had a better package.....
Best primer & Spf ever =]

I used this product faithfully until I realized they changed the formula! I even called Nordstrom where I bought it and asked specifically if they changed the formula, and they said they weren't aware of that and maybe I just got a lemon. I exchanged it, and it was exactly the same. Very runny consistency, smelled like sun screen, and made my face sticky, and I broke out. Now I'm on the hunt for a new primer with good sun protection :(

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I use this primer and it works so well on my skin and lasts so long. I usually wear this and then put on my MAC Studio Fix Fluid. It makes my skin smooth and my makeup lasts so long. I have super oily skin and this works miracles for me. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

I'm on my 2nd tube of this. As a primer/sunscreen it's great for my oily/combination skin - it goes on smoothly and makeup applies well on top of it. It really prolongs the wear of my makeup and helps prevent shine. I find it's better if I use it on top of an oil-free moisturiser - applied to my bare skin it can cause spots.

On the downside, the packaging is grim. Looks lovely yes, but the tube is quite rigid and makes use difficult - once you're about half way through the contents it becomes increasingly difficult to get the product out. This is irritating, especially as it's not a cheap product - for the money I'd expect the packaging to be fit for purpose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am obsessed with this product! I have very oily, acne prone skin, and was looking for a primer well suited for my skin type. A friend of mine knew this, and bought me the Prem
+ Prime SPF 50 for my birthday. At first when I tried the product, I absolutely hated it! I did everything I had done before with other primers; cleansed my face, toned, moisturized, and applied this primer. Very quickly I noticed how greasy my skin felt, and my MatchMaster MAC foundation looked terrible for once. After a week with putting up with this, I went to the closest MAC store and asked the associate to do an exchange for me. She asked why I wanted to exchange it, as it would be the best one she had to offer for my skin tone. Her answer to my response was to not wear the moisturizer before the primer. This primer is supposed to be your moisturizer, sunscreen, and primer. Ever since I took her advice, I can't imagine my life without it! Keeps me matte and flawless all day, can't say enough good things!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I used to love this product...I'm so sad the reformulated this. =( I found one at a CCO and it worked GREAT! Bought at a MAC counter and it's defiantly NOT the same product. The redid the formula and the new one sucks. My face looked greasy just applying it and didn't do anything but sit on top of my face. Horrible for oily girls.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I wanted this product to work for me. SPF50? awesome! MAC Primer to go with my MAC foundations? awesome! mid-line price? awesome!

Results: meh. The 50spf becomes unremarkable because there is no way to layer this on your face enough to get that kind of protection in reality. When I wrote this under my MAC foundations and other brands, I felt like my makeup melted off my face in patches throughout the day. And it definitely contributed to some clogged pores and break outs.

This is not a repeat buy for me.

Popular Primer/ Correctors